Ford C-Max consumer car reviews and road tests

Ford C-Max

Ford C-Max consumer reviews by year of make: 2004  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015

Ford C-Max consumer car reviews

Jason, Pembrokeshire

Ford C-Max C-MAX DIESEL ESTATE 2007 - 2010

What a disasterous car! come on Ford. this has had a history of faults in my ownership. It has 120,000 miles recordered, a full service history, previous custodian 'Motorbility', so you would of thought it would last to 200,000 without any major mishap. Not so. Engine is Peugeot 1585 cc Diesel Turbo, as fitted to post office vans and indeed Peugeot Partner vans. My car, firstly, new Injector Seals, Oil and service, however still no Turbo working. The Turbo worked on purchase, but has not since. Sometimes gor the first Mile, but not thereafter. If you turn it off, wait 1 minuet then start and drive off, it's ok for another mile. A cubing machine is shorltly called for. This is an appalling advert for Ford! Never to be repeated!

Submitted: 2016-11-26 | ID: 136971

H Banford, Leicestershire

Ford C-Max C-MAX DIESEL ESTATE 2010 - 2015

Bought this 2014 car in May 2016. 11,00 miles on clock. Acceleration and mpg very good. Ride firm but acceptable. Road noise is the worst that I have experienced in 40 years of driving cars

Submitted: 2016-05-29 | ID: 132130

john fenlon, West Midlands

Ford C-Max C-MAX DIESEL ESTATE 2007 - 2010

hi my name is john i have had cmax for about 4 years now its a 58 plate but over the last 2 years it as spent more time in the garage than out with DPF PROBLEMS the engine management lights come on and i lose power i have put dpf filter cleaner in the diesel tank i have just got back from skegness i live in birmingham so you cant say it asnt had a good run is there a fuse that i can take out and put back in or is it back to the garage again HELP ME IF YOU CAN regards

hello there john. got the same problem as you by the look of it I have a problem starting mine at times. as you have said about the dpf I know that it gets blocked I have put red x in my fuel tank that may help to clean it out. but you can take out the dpf and wash it out with a garden hose but make sure its clean and dry before replacing it. when driving my car the ignition lights come on and I loos power as it goes into limp mode I'm still trying to sort out the problem. not sure there is a fuse thou. - from Cardiff

Submitted: 2016-04-15 | ID: 130401

Gill Parnell, Nottinghamshire

Ford C-Max C-MAX ESTATE 2010 - 2015

I love my C-Max it has never let me down, has exceptional power and comfort, do I exchange it for a newer model, or keep it, keeping it is tempting, but if I have another I hope it gives me as much pleasure driving as this on e does.

Submitted: 2016-02-05 | ID: 127165

Paul, West Midlands

Ford C-Max C-MAX ESTATE 2007 - 2010

NEVER BUY a C-Max, sorry, NEVER buy a Ford. I was told years ago to stay clear, wish I had taken the advice. My 2006 C-Max had problems from day one. I needed a tyre changing but the garage didn't give me the unlock key for the alloys. I questioned it, was told that they gave it me and I would need to buy a new one. I was shocked, it was 6 months old, to be told why leave it so long before asking for the unlock key, my answer was only now do I need to change a tyre! Idiots. Very recently I had starting problems, sometimes it wouldn't start and showed engine management failure on the dash. If I pushed the dash it would start the car. Driving the car it would randomly go into limp mode (reduced acceleration), this happened for a long time and progressively got worse. Took it to Ford, it cost me £650 for a new cluster unit, even though Watchdog showed the EXACT same complaint and had a re-call for Ford Focus's with this exact issue, but my car didn't fall into the reg range and they refused to cover it. The garage and Ford customer helpline are totally useless and uncaring for their customers, I've had way more problems than this but I'm just tired from the constant complaining and talking about it. I`m writing this review to help turn people from buying either a Ford or at least a crap C-Max.

Submitted: 2014-08-14 | ID: 101456

Keith Ellinor, Essex

Ford C-Max C-MAX ESTATE 2007 - 2010

Have now owned my C-Max for 5 years. My only concern is with the A/C. requires a re-charge every year even though I do not switch off the A/C. Although it is the Titanium version, not value for money.

Submitted: 2014-04-09 | ID: 94028

R Jackson, Nottinghamshire

Ford C-Max 2006

The Worst car ever bought. Spends more time at garage due to engine systems failure, which the garage says they’ve fixed, then it lasts for 6 weeks before failure again. 9 times in 2 years,and a couple of occasions have been close to causing a severe accident!

Submitted: 2013-04-28 | ID: 39428

Skuddie Scudamore, Warwickshire

Ford C-Max 2007

Very comfortable but it drinks fuel like an alcoholic fish at a party. Better off with a VW Touran.

Submitted: 2012-06-13 | ID: 39427

Malcolm Haw, West Lothian (Linlithgowshire)

Ford C-Max 2008

We’ve had our C-Max 6 months, a 2008 1.8 Style petrol with 42k. A good car overall in terms of space and trim, however, the fuel consumption is dire. It would benefit from a 6th Gear. I have just swapped it for a 1.6 Fiesta TDCI to cut the running costs.

Submitted: 2011-11-21 | ID: 39424

Denis Shuter, London

Ford C-Max 2004

I bought this car at 1 year old. A great car with very few problems; the bearings on rear wheel went, check engine light came on and I had it checked at the garage but they couldn’t find anything wrong. I have just sold it and bought a 06 plate Focus, only because I don’t need a bigger car anymore, but would recommend the C-Max for any family. A great drive, extremely reliable and economical (for me any way).

Submitted: 2011-10-12 | ID: 39425

Clive Cotter, Kent

Ford C-Max 2008

What a revelation. Great build quality. Great to drive. Great economy. I used to have a Mazda 5 which was great for a people carrier but the interior was "plastic fantastic" with cheap hard plastics every where you looked and touched. It crashed over bumps and the engine noise was horrific on any speed above 65mph. So back to the C-Max, a super car which is great for the family, cheap to insure and tax with low running costs and great to drive. ONLY get the diesel version, I had the 1.8 petrol before, but diesel drives like a different car with less noise at motorway speeds (the petrol should have had six speed box). I’d never owned a Ford before, but how things have changed. Very close to Germanic build quality. I have owned the car for two years now with no problems and average 44 mpg on 90% urban driving. I have achieved 65 mpg on the motorway at 70 mph.

Submitted: 2011-09-28 | ID: 39426

George Fleetwood, Cheshire

Ford C-Max 2011

I have had this car for two months and very disappointed with it; poor acceleration and cutting out, flat spot in first gear. My car is supplied by Motabilty and I am keen to get the car changed, it’s just gone in to the dealer to be checked over but I don’t hold out much hope. I would think twice about having a Ford car again

I am surprised that Ford still have not sorted the flat spot out. I drive an S-MAX diesel (57 reg) and have suffered this problem with the car since new. I have now done over 84,000 miles in the car and have had to adopt a specific standing start skill to avoid collisions at roundabouts when the car suddenly hits the flat spot. Every time the car goes for service, we have the same routine - they try to sort it but without any joy. If the car stalls then it makes one huge bang in the gearbox. Now after high mileage and some unavoidable stalls, the gearbox sounds like a bag of spanners, but I doubt Ford will acknowledge it has anything to do with the flat spot. I was considering a C-MAX, but guess what, not now! - Howard Hardy from Cheshire

Submitted: 2011-04-12 | ID: 39422

• doug smy's question has been answered: "The tank should have been removed, all fuel drained out and preferably flushed out with fresh diesel. The fuel lines blown out, fuel filter replaced, - John westwood from Essex' '..." (15/06/2017 21:25:00)
  • Trish's question has been answered: "Fault with engine mounts broken / worn or exhaust system hitting part of body. If it's a diesel then it may be yoiur dual mass flywheel needing replac - Hugh from City of Glasgow' '..." (20/04/2017 14:57:21)

Ford C-MAX 2011 road test report

Ford has divided its C-Max range into two distinct models, with the standard five-seat C-Max reviewed here forming the foundations of the range. The larger Grand C-Max comes with seven seats and sliding side rear doors, but that’s not to say the five-seat model with it more traditional rear door arr [...]

Ford C-MAX 2011 road test report