FORD FOCUS C-MAX questions and answers

Ford Focus C-Max

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD FOCUS C-MAX models. Help and advice on everything FORD FOCUS C-MAX. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD FOCUS C-MAX questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

John, Surrey

Ford Focus C-Max

C-MAX 1.6 diesal 04 plate, runs ok ,no warning lights etc, then start the car again ok , put in reverse starts to move then engine cuts out and will not resatrt. Turns over but will not fire. Leave for a few hours try again sometimes starts and all is ok and runs sometomes for a few days or will still ot fire up. So no real pattern to work from! Have replaced fuel filter Any other ideas please?

Submitted: 09/09/2017 10:13:59 | ID: 143539

how do i find sat nav code radio fine cd fine but no sat nav 2009 c max Thanks

Submitted: 29/05/2017 18:21:26 | ID: 141618

Frank West, Cheshire

Ford Focus C-Max

I found it difficult to rev the car , its hard to start ihad to cluch down and press the accelerator everytime to start the car this has been the normal routine, but lately, it runs when starts perfect, but it don't give a nice rev sound what i hear when i try reving is like something wrong with the manifold (inside) or the throttle motor and it also stalls when i first start the car in the morning or anytime and it began working normally after like twenty mins . please i ned help cos this car is nice i have had it for 9 months and still wanna keep it

Submitted: 28/05/2017 22:06:08 | ID: 141601

Paul Siwek, Dorset

Ford Focus C-Max

I have a problem, i just changed an Ignition Coil as one was intermittently failing, (or so i thought) only to put the connector back on and the clip that holds it onto the Coil fell off, is there a simple way to fix the connector on the wiring look as i really don't wanna have to redo all that. or is it an easy job to do ? i've looked online but no one seems to have them for my car ?

Submitted: 08/02/2017 18:08:42 | ID: 138801

e mcconnell, Tyne and Wear

Ford Focus C-Max

car battery appears to be flat as nothing electric works.take of battery lead then reconnect after few seconds then every thing works and car starts okay .any ideas for cause. thanks

Just a stab in the dark here but the procedure you take to get your car to work is what is often done to reboot the ECU. It might be worth getting the ECU checked. Mick from Portugal

Submitted: 30/01/2017 16:07:23 | ID: 138540

Patrick, Lincolnshire

Ford Focus C-Max

Car left for 4 weeks. Battery went flat. Battery charged up and vehicle seemed to behave normally, However a message appeared saying 'engine systems fault' and a further message saying ' reduced acceleration'. In use the vehicle is behaving well and no noticeable reduction in acceleration is felt. Advice please.

Submitted: 10/01/2017 14:17:46 | ID: 137997

John white , West Sussex

Ford Focus C-Max

Hiya i need glow plugs and nearly every time they show the 1.9 litre version and i was woundering if the engine size matters as long as its the same make and model?

Submitted: 07/01/2017 20:26:19 | ID: 137912

Nayenga, West Yorkshire

Ford Focus C-Max

My passenger wiper suddenly stopped working this morning, I have no lights on my dashboard. Could anyone with helpful info please kindly respond. Thanks in Advance.

Submitted: 13/11/2016 23:17:40 | ID: 136676

Ahmed, Blackburn with Darwen

Ford Focus C-Max

Hi.my car central locking problem front both door working.back both door not working (central looking) any idea back both door manual central locking work

Submitted: 03/11/2016 19:11:50 | ID: 136460

Chris comey, Leicestershire

Ford Focus C-Max

Message on dash power steering failure it is a 2007 tdci seems a very common fault anyone got the answer desperate chris

Submitted: 21/04/2016 13:24:02 | ID: 130656

Jen, Surrey

Ford Focus C-Max

Hi, please can somebody help solve this problem I'm having with my c max, As so far I've replaced the Maf sensor, coil pack, coolant temperature sensor,and the Thermostat.. But still no luck.. Basically the engine light is on constantly on dash board, when I'm driving the following message comes up " engine system fault" , but what has Started to happen most recently is the dash message reads limited speed mode which slows The car completely down or even stops it.. My partner has used our diagnostic machine on it To clear the codes which gets the car running again for a short while, but the problems come Straight back after driving a couple of miles..I have noticed that once the temperature gauge goes to the middle that's when The problems start.. If anyone knows what this problem is and how to solve it I'd Be really grateful, as I've been unable to drive my car now for over 2 weeks because of what's Constantly happening...

Submitted: 13/04/2016 02:17:59 | ID: 130318

jeffrey riley, Gwent

Ford Focus C-Max

the engine loses power, but after stopping and restarting the engine it runs perfectly. No fault shows up on the dash any suggestions as to why?

Submitted: 30/03/2016 12:13:24 | ID: 129670

Jeff Thornton, Essex

Ford Focus C-Max

I have a factory fitted sat nav, CD player and radio. Sat nav works but radio/CD does not. Radio is displayed but does not work at all. I had to jump start the car and hasn't worked since. Any ideas ?

Submitted: 19/02/2016 17:38:21 | ID: 127861

Derek forrow, Greater Manchester

Ford Focus C-Max

I have a 54 plate C-max, the front passenger, sum times will open on the key fob, but then it won't, the onlt way to open this door, is to start the engine and it's open when there's seems to be power going to the door ?

Submitted: 21/11/2015 14:46:52 | ID: 123771

kayleigh kennedy, Bedfordshire

Ford Focus C-Max

I have a 53 plate 1.6 ford cmax. It is left unused for periods of time due to back injury. After short journey to local village when I tried to start made clicking sound on ignition and wouldn't start. I was given a jump start and started straight away so drove home. When I switched engine off again wouldn't start. Haven't had battery long .any ideas what problem could be or advice on things I can try. Many thanks (2003) cmax 1.6 zetec

Submitted: 23/10/2015 06:31:25 | ID: 122620

David, City of Derby

Ford Focus C-Max

My cmax has just had a 60000mile service and now every so often when I start it it stalls and won't start again a message shows up to say engine system fault what is likely the problem

Submitted: 04/10/2015 12:26:36 | ID: 121954

al hill, Middlesex

Ford Focus C-Max

My focus c-mas zetec automatic accelerates off very fast when gas petal gently is touched. Happens in drive and reverse. Can you help

EGR Valve has had it. Had same problem with mine. Didn't have money to replace so fitted the a blanking plate. Now runs like a dream. Check if you have Excessive Black Smoke behind you. This will be the teller. C-Max and most new fords all have Poor EGR Systems. 30,000 is maximum you will get out of an EGR Valve. Get it changed. Michael Lock from Essex

Submitted: 27/09/2015 16:46:04 | ID: 121700

Tony Rogers , Middlesbrough

wont shift gear at 60 mph

Submitted: 19/09/2015 17:29:27 | ID: 121374

Lou, Essex

Ford Focus C-Max

Cannot remove ignition key when it has been raining also it does not light up the P for park on the display.

Automatic cars will not let you remove the key unless it is in P selection-no idea why this should happen in the rain! swifty from Berkshire

Submitted: 16/09/2015 17:35:43 | ID: 121240

shane, Belgium

Ford Focus C-Max

When I put the car in gear it does not move

Submitted: 15/09/2015 17:52:49 | ID: 121188

alan brown, West Sussex

Ford Focus C-Max

when stationary lights flicker both front and back ? worse when I turn steering wheel ? does not do when foot on accelerator ? any ideas ?

Submitted: 08/09/2015 19:45:02 | ID: 120936

Dawn Brady, Buckinghamshire

Ford Focus C-Max

Every time I turn my Ford Focus c-Max Ghia 2006 off you get a noise which sounds like an electric drill

Submitted: 20/08/2015 17:26:06 | ID: 120084

Mike Varndell, Kent

Ford Focus C-Max

Hi can anybody help me I have a 2007 C Max 2000 automatic and my engine comes on in yellow for a time then go's off then on again, but I don't lose power from the engine . ?? Mike

Submitted: 29/06/2015 18:19:06 | ID: 117843

peter, Stoke-on-Trent

Ford Focus C-Max

Hi, a small flashing light between the rev counter and speedo keeps flashing, any ideas?

Submitted: 12/04/2015 16:45:07 | ID: 114623

STEVEN, Yorkshire

Ford Focus C-Max

Hi. My reversing lights stopped working and I checked the bulbs but they were ok. I looked at the fuses, all of them under the bonnet and on the passenger side but I did not see any obvious problems, so put them all back again as shown in the manual. I locked the car, opened it and all ok but there was no ignition. Then engine system failure came up. I was told to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes but still no joy. Can anybody help?

It will be the switch at the bottom of the gearbox which tells the carstory electrics in reverse the part cost between 12 to 20 pound but can be difficult to reach a garage would charge between 80 to 100 pound to replace ?? hope this helps Gabrielle from Kent

Submitted: 01/03/2015 15:10:22 | ID: 112542

lee martin, Staffordshire

Ford Focus C-Max

Wipers and lights have stopped working on auto settings only work when on Manuel

Submitted: 22/02/2015 21:49:32 | ID: 112141

Alan Skuse, Middlesex

Ford Focus C-Max

car vibrates a little at Tickover Poor accelaration and now engine warning light on permently Occasionally flashes whilst on Moterway Acceleration ok between 60m -70 Mph

Submitted: 22/02/2015 17:25:32 | ID: 112122

marie willis, Cheshire

Ford Focus C-Max

Hi, my electric handbrake on my 54 plate C-Max Ghia won't work and when on the odd occasion it does release it's making a really loud screaming noise and now it stops working altogether. What could this be?

Submitted: 16/02/2015 10:39:10 | ID: 111638

Kirsty Harrison, Bedfordshire

Ford Focus C-Max

Went to get in my car yesterday only to find my key won`t open the car at all, not even a manual spare key will work. Then after many attempts to break in through a tiny gap in the window I tried it again and it made the sounds that it was open so I went round all the doors and the back passenger side had opened. The car wouldn't run and just made a ticking sound. I jump started the car and all seemed fine. The next day I jumped in the car, all opened fine and then when I turned the ignition it just made the ticking sound and the boot opens. Any ideas?

I had similar issue. Turned out battery was dead. The ticking happens when there is not enough power to start engine. John from Essex

Submitted: 09/02/2015 13:21:55 | ID: 111189

Joanna, Cheshire

Ford Focus C-Max

Hi. Our 55 plate C-Max had a flat battery, after we jump started the car the cd/radio does not work properly. It has lost all the radio stations and we cannot play any CD's. Is it just a case of replacing the fuse or do I need to take it into a garage? Thanks in advance.

Hi,If you are still looking for an answer,when I removed my radio/cd unit when I got my used `55 reg C-max a couple of years ago,I had to re-enter the 4 digit code as in the instruction manual given with the owners manual,when I bought the car.Perhaps your "problem" could be something simple like that.Worth a try if you haven`t already.Best of luck!! Peter from Derbyshire

Submitted: 06/02/2015 07:46:17 | ID: 110986

ryan, North Yorkshire

Ford Focus C-Max

on christmas eve my Focus 1.8 diesel tdci would not start. it says engine systems fault - and makes a ticking noise when turning key. on boxing day i went back to it, no warning light... so i bump started it as really needed to use it. worked fine until today. got into the car and same issue, engine system fault light - and loud ticking noise when i turn key but will not start. lights, cd player etc all working fine so think that battery is fine. any help appreciated.

Submitted: 25/01/2015 19:14:03 | ID: 110289

Martin, Essex

Ford Focus C-Max

Hi, I have an August 2008 C-Max Titanium 2.0 tdci. I have only had it a week and a day ago a little red top centre of the dash came on when I started it up first thing. There are no issues with cat and I`m told it`s the immobiliser not every time I drive the car the red light is on all of the time, it flashes when it`s locked, it flashes every 2 seconds. I know it`s not supposed to be on when I`m driving. Can you help please? Thank you martin Martin.emerson@live.co.uk

Submitted: 23/01/2015 14:45:25 | ID: 110175

Alan Burns , Berkshire

Ford Focus C-Max

I have a 54 plate 1.6 petrol Cmax. As of this morning it won't start. It turns over and you can hear sound through the speakers. The display shows 'engine fault' Can you help?

I have the exact same problem. Any help would be brilliant. thank you ryan from North Yorkshire

Submitted: 21/01/2015 09:42:52 | ID: 110011

JC, Essex

Ford Focus C-Max

I have a Ford C-MAX 54 reg 1.6 TDCI. While driving on the motorway ENGINE SYSTEMS FAILURE popped up on the message centre and it started losing power afterwards. I checked oil, water and everything seems to be fine. Any idea what`s the problem? Thanks.

Submitted: 15/01/2015 13:12:40 | ID: 109593

emma hand, Stoke-on-Trent

Ford Focus C-Max

My previous power steering fluid given to me was green. I am running low and the new one I bought is red. They were both checked against make and model of car in the manual. Can I just add the red to the green?

Submitted: 06/01/2015 12:00:16 | ID: 109019

McArdle, Northamptonshire

Ford Focus C-Max

When I turn engine off and lock car my radio and mileage lights don't turn off. I had to jump start it so am thinking this is draining the battery. How do I get them to turn off.

I have the same problem any advice would be brilliant x Terri from Staffordshire

Submitted: 24/11/2014 18:23:36 | ID: 106802

blondie, Blaenau Gwent

Ford Focus C-Max

Water has got into my fuse box.apparently this is a known fault? Water seeps in through the seal around the windscreen.garage has said I probably need a new fuse box!? Is this expensive? Also how can I stop the water from getting I to the fuse box? Any help, comments will be appreciated.

Submitted: 17/11/2014 22:13:40 | ID: 106369

martin boyle, Antrim

Ford Focus C-Max

A cog wheel comes up on my dash - what is it telling me?

i had this problem and when i had a diagnostic it showed the fault was the fuel pressure try a new fuel filter graham from Greater Manchester

Submitted: 07/11/2014 19:48:42 | ID: 105859

shakila, Nottinghamshire

Ford Focus C-Max

When I am driving my car and stop at the traffic lights, my car starts raving and it lets gas out it self. inside my car it gives a red light saying engine fault. Also it speeds up like gives more gas it self when driving the car. what could I do should I do?

Faulty intake valve Not expensive fix julie from West Lothian