Ford Galaxy consumer car reviews and road tests

Ford Galaxy

Ford Galaxy consumer reviews by year of make: 1989  1995  1996  1997  1998  1999  2000  2001  2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014

Ford Galaxy consumer car reviews

Justin, Hampshire

Ford Galaxy GALAXY ESTATE 2015

If you are thinking of buying a Galaxy 1.5 ecoboost car- Don't! We just bought one, and it is a suicide car. It cannot pull away from our drive except sluggishly, and we live on a blind bend! It is incapable of hill starting, I nearly wore out the clutch getting out of a national trust car park that was slightly inclined. It simply can not hill start, it is so embarrassing, you have to reverse onto a flat stretch and take a run at any hill. Our dealer had no 1.5 Galaxy to test drive, we tested a 2.0 diesel which was fine, and as the power of 1.5 ecoboost is same on paper we thought 'no problem', what a costly mistake. I can't wait to get rid of this car, it is dangerously underpowered. Please please please test drive it before buying and try a hill start. I reckon Tiff Needel would struggle!

Submitted: 2017-08-23 | ID: 143268

Dan Livingston, South Lanarkshire

Ford Galaxy GALAXY DIESEL ESTATE 2015

This is the third Galaxy I have purchased. the reason behind my buying them is down to the comfort, passenger capacity, and basically its a posh van with windows if you need to carry anything large. my first was a 2.0ltr Ghia, it was an amazing car, ran like a dream, fantastic fuel returns 45-51mpg, and so comfortable. the second was a Galaxy Titanium 2.2ltr, it was not a good car, it had all the comfort of the Ghia, and better road handling, the glass roof was a nice touch, but there were so many niggles and faults with it, hesitation when trying to move off from standstill, windows jamming in cold weather, tracking constantly going out of alignment, eats tyres, mirrors not folding in every time when locking the car. to name a few. none of which ever got sorted. I ended up hating the car. plus road tax was £250 p/a and fuel consumption was down to 32-35mpg the one thing both cars had in common was excellent lights, when you switched on the headlamps it was like daylight again. I now have a new Galaxy 2015 Titanium 2.0ltr, its even more comfortable, quitter and smoother, than the 2.2ltr, the fuel consumption is better 40+ MPG, the whole driving experience is better than the last one. tax is £116 p/a BUT. the headlamps are CRAP dangerously CRAP. first time I drove in the dark on a motorway I was shocked at just how bad they were, even my passenger asked if they were on? I have since upgraded to Philips 130% brighter H7 bulbs in the dip beam, which has a slight improvement, who the hell came up with sticking a magnifying lens in a headlamp??? and I'm waiting for intense white H15 bulbs for the main beam, hopefully that will improve things. The Auto Start/Stop function only works about 10% of the time and the heated screen doesn't work properly either, its been into Fords workshops 5 times in the 8 months I have had the car, and they still don't work... "COMPUTER SAYS NO FAULT" Maybe my next car will be a Volvo CX90.

Submitted: 2017-02-16 | ID: 138968

Alexander Jombo, Zimbabwe

Ford Galaxy GALAXY ESTATE 1995 - 2000

I have a consistent problem with my Ford Galaxy 2300V Petrol 1999 Model, when l changed the clutch plate for the first time since l used it, the car developed a problem between the ring gear and the bendix when the mechanic returned the clutch plate. The main problem is when he returned the starter motor you could find that the bendix will remain on top of the ring gear resulting in the friction between the bendix and ring gear and is producing a grinding sound when starting the car. Now that the ring gear has worn out as the result of the friction between the starter motor bendix and ring gear. l now seek for an advise from the manufacturer on the advise that what could be the problem, if possible to give a diagram on how the layout looks likes for me to have the problem solved. Your response is most welcome for me to eradicate this sound when starting the car, thank you in advance.

Submitted: 2017-01-30 | ID: 138538

Laura, Essex

Ford Galaxy GALAXY DIESEL ESTATE 2006 - 2010

I have a problem with my Ford Galaxy which my stability control light comes on and the vehicle does not go above 10mph. I then have to pull over and switch the vehicle off and wait for approx 5mins before it clears. I have taken my car to 2 garages who have done diagnostics tests with nothing showing. I find it frustrating that the problem cannot be found especially having my young family in the car when it happens without pre warning. Does anyone have any ideas to get this problem solved?

Submitted: 2016-09-19 | ID: 135303

L.Evans, Caerphilly

Ford Galaxy GALAXY ESTATE 2010 - 2014

very good car - 7 seater , used to ferry children back and fro , economical for such a big car ( 43 mpg) however driven. Plenty of room to carry luggage with 5 adults .

Submitted: 2016-03-28 | ID: 129571

Clare Maynard, West Sussex

Ford Galaxy GALAXY DIESEL ESTATE 2000 - 2006

Have owned this car for 6 weeks and have taken it back to the garage twice already one for a terrible grinding noise when turning which sounds like metal rubbing against each other and the second time because my spare wheel fell from the bottom of the car whilst driving!! Luckily no one was hurt not impressed so far and even though it is still under warranty the garage has said its down to "wear and tear"! Has anyone else experienced problems like this?

Submitted: 2014-06-04 | ID: 96902

Keith Ellinor, Essex

Ford Galaxy GALAXY DIESEL ESTATE 1995 - 2000

The most unreliable car I have ever owned. Within the first year, the Ford Dealer had to replace the battery 6 times. If the car was not used for more than 6 working days, the battery was completely flat, even the Central Locking would not operate. Ford Motor Company Service department eventually admitted there was a concern with the lighting switch wehreby it could enter a Failure Mode and discharge the battery within a few hours. A new light switch was fitted together with yet another new battery. One week later I had a flat battery!! After 7 new batteries I demanded that FMC buy back the vehicle as it was fit for use. Fords agreed to repalce the vehicle as they could not cure the concern.

Submitted: 2014-04-09 | ID: 94030

Ole Høj, Denmark

Ford Galaxy 1998

Strong, well-run and quiet car with excellent comfort and good visibility. We bought our 2.3 model last year because we needed a spacious car for my wife’s disability scooter, and our experience with the vehicle has been good. The only minuses are a high fuel consumption of 9.5 km / l and a high annual road tax here in Denmark at the same level as the car cost in purchasing. But it always starts, is well on the road and has an extremely good power reserves. Moreover, it does not appear that it is particularly susceptible to rust. But Ford has always been good at producing attractive engines and the rest of the car oozes unfailing German VW quality.

Submitted: 2014-02-23 | ID: 40096

Peter Broomfield, Wiltshire

Ford Galaxy 2012

Had the car for 18 months through motability, been back to the dealer 8 times with differing minor and major faults. Main recurring fault being un-traceable battery drain that Ford cannot find nor rectify, just have to keep topping up with electricity every now and again. The equipment level is very good ( HID headlights and leather as standard) build quality is fairly good. I have recently run out of electricity again so have had the VW Sharan as a replacement car, I do not see how the review for the Sharan on this site states that the Galaxy drives better and is more comfortable, because it just isn’t the case. The Galaxy wallows terribly in corners, feels like the back end is about half a second behind the front end. The lumbar support in the galaxy feels like a stretch of wire inside the seat that is tightened, awful! The fuel consumption on the 1.6 ecoboost is terrible, 29 mpg everywhere, 350 miles on a tank of fuel that costs in the region of £90! Admittedly, the 2.0 140PS DSG Sharan we had did between 35 and 40 MPG, not what is stated on VW site. Sharan had a better build quality, that you would expect with a VW badge on the front, but comes with hardly any equipment, eg, tinted windows are an extra, even on the SE version! As with all new cars it would appear, visibility is terrible, slightly better on the Sharan and water pours in through the front windows when it is raining, straight onto the electric window switches (yes I’m a smoker, boo hiss). One minor winge, the VW do not come with a speed limiter, this is very useful in 30 and 40 mph speed limits, Ford system is easy to use and well located. Come on VW, get with the times.

Interested in your review on this vehicle. I take it you've sold it and wondered if your vehicle registration mark started PJ12? Keen to know as a motobility vehicle is for sale in Bristol and it's very similar to what you've described in your review. Thanks in advance. Nick. - Nick Dicksee from Hampshire

Submitted: 2014-01-11 | ID: 40094

Stephen Barker, Suffolk

Ford Galaxy 2012

I have a 63 reg 2.2 TDCi Powershift which has now done 3000 miles. It really is a great car (my 4th Galaxy I think) but the fuel consumption is appalling. I am currently averaging 32.4 (and when I did a fuel check by filling up, taking the miles & filling up again etc it came up with 29!). I even have a tuning box on it to try and improve things but hasn’t made any difference really - I have played about with the settings too. I had a 2.0Tdci before which did 42mpg and a brand new rental 2.0Tdci for 3 months which did 40mpg straight off and never wavered. I fail to see how a 10% bigger engine can turn in a 25% reduction in consumption! So beware buying the 2.2 Tdci unless you have deep pockets!

Submitted: 2013-12-10 | ID: 40095

Gaz Keel, England

Ford Galaxy 2012

Recently purchased a Zetec 138 bhp powershift, owned for about two weeks now and I’m very impressed with economy, smooth engine and gear change, although I drive very relaxed with economy in mind. This is a huge mpv, needed this size as I have 4 kids and a dog and it fits us all in with ease. Comparable in size to a Grand Espace although I’d prefer the Ford based on looks etc. I’m well happy so far although very much let down by the main dealer who I purchased from who promised a wet valet, a replacement carpet tray behind drivers seat (bit worn) and they did none of this. Also passenger seat was not bolted down correctly although the car had had a 145 point safety check (yeh right!!!). Ended up doing the repair myself to seat after dealership salesman failed to re contact me, also failed to send out a £3.50 trim fixing screw that was missing (bit poor when I had spent £15500 cash), guess its a case of we have your cash and they are no longer bothered as with most dealerships I’ve dealt with in the past (promise everything and fail to deliver). Overall very happy with the car but dealership has been shocking,

Submitted: 2013-09-23 | ID: 40093

Ray Steele, Leicestershire

Ford Galaxy 2012

Laden with handy gadgets. Great leather seats. A real looker. But the 1.6 is far too underpowered for this size of car. The previous 2 litre was a superb engine. It could really get you out of any driving situation - even at low speed in high gear it was supremely responsive. And I was always able to beat Ford’s MPG. The 1.6 tdci left me in a couple of tight spots on motorways when it failed to respond to the gas pedal and I have had to change my driving style considerably to master this engine. MPG is at a poor 44 despite trying several different driving styles to increase it. A superb motor, there is no doubt, but make sure you get the bigger engine as you’ll save the difference in juice in just a few months and get a far better drive.

Submitted: 2013-06-16 | ID: 40092

Steve Mac, England

Ford Galaxy 2011

I have a 1.6 petrol ecoboost Galaxy Titanium, which I cannot fault the finish or fittings on. This is the third Galaxy we have owned and as always it is very versatile. However, I do have a gripe with the fuel economy. It’s stated as 29 urban, 39 Combined and 49 extra urban, but mine will never do more than 29 mpg. What’s weird is it’s the same whatever the driving conditions. I’ve been in to the dealership twice because of the mpg and both times have been told it’s a big car for a smallish engine. We wrote to Ford’s ’fob off’ department - sorry customer services, only to be told it’s nothing really to do with them, take it up with the local dealer who do not Want to know. So basically they can write whatever mpg they want to sell a car? Just beware it’s a very expensive car to run if you’re thinking about buying one. Ours has now covered 12000 miles and is no better at all on petrol. Buy a diesel!

I have a June 2013 Galaxy 2.0 TDCi Power Shift with 2,500 miles With three adults in the vehicle and it never returns more than 36mpg +/- 1mpg. So on a recent 500 mile return trip with 90% on the motorway I managed a whole 37.1 mpg combined and other days on local roads I get 35.4 mpg. The official combined figure is 47.1 mpg. I know that people all say ’the official figure is a joke’ and yes maybe, but is should be imo in the same ballpark. If the vehicle did 44mpg, fair enough but 11mpg less? No way is that acceptable. I am a retired (through illness) motor engineer and driving instructor on HGV trucks, on which I taught people how to be fuel efficient with your vehicle -so I do know what I am talking about. An email was dispatched to Ford Mobility, this was answered by a phone call from some air headed girl and amounted to ’Tough’.. so she got the response ’Go away’ I have complained to Motability through whom the vehicle was sourced and shall now be contacting trading standards and my MP about this. My advice is never buy a Ford. I will never have another. - from Wales

Submitted: 2012-06-11 | ID: 40088

Hamed Najj, England

Ford Galaxy 2007

I’m having so many problem with this car having just done 82000 miles.

Submitted: 2011-12-12 | ID: 40091

Mark Bloxham, Hertfordshire

Ford Galaxy 2003

I no longer own this car thank god, but I thought I would write a review to warn you all! I bought the top range Galaxy knowing it would be thirsty but assured it would be a smooth, fast cruiser, it was none of these (except the thirsty bit). Okay, it was fairly fast but not what you would expect from 200+ bhp. The handling was poor, the engine lumpy, the auto-box was jerky, the air conditioning kept failing, the doors started rusting at 2 years old...Need I go on? Don’t assume I hate this breed of car, I had a SEAT Alhambra before this which was great. I may of course have had a lemon one-off but I couldn’t wait to get rid (I couldn’t even trade it in at most places, they wouldn’t have a v6 Galaxy at any price!)

Submitted: 2011-10-11 | ID: 40090

Paul, England

Ford Galaxy 2007

I would love to be able to recommend this car to everyone. It drives really nicely, especially on long journeys. No understeer going into corners and makes me feel safe. Good space inside the car and is great for family holidays. Two problems with it, when accelerating hard the engine hesitates mid-acceleration. This is really dangerous when pulling out of junctions. You need to change your driving style to compensate. The other problem is that the engine blew up at just over 60k. Bought this car from new, Ford have always serviced it and I regularly check oil level. Never needed to top up but Ford insist that I must have run the engine without oil at some point, nonsense. However, being over three years old and also over 60k they refuse any good will what so ever. Very poor £4k to replace a diesel which should last for over 150k. Ford will lose out in the long run as this will be the last new Ford I buy. No confidence in them any more. A shame.

Hi, I have problem with preheating relay - Galaxy 1.8 diesel 2007. Where is the relay? I can’t find it. Thank you - Ramunas Staveckas from County Down

Submitted: 2011-03-13 | ID: 40083

Nigel Brown, England

Ford Galaxy 2002

Bought this car second hand at 75k now done 130k. Great size, ride and powerful, economical diesel engine. This car has been an absolute money pit. Power steering faults eventually traced to alternator clutch failure. Air con failures x3, don’t even waste your money trying to fix will only fail again. Scuffs out front tyres like you wouldn’t believe. Waterpump failure at 111K nearly cooked her. Intermittent tubo fault since 90k overboosts and goes into limp mode (German engine, can’t blame Ford for this one), at least its only a couple of times a year, pull over turn it off wait a few mins re start it seems to re set itself. Extremely heavy on the front end countless times replacing various, rubbers, bushes attached to wheels. Drive shaft failure. Drivers door lock failure. Very versatile vehicle that you can strip seats out of and can be used like a van. Has towed myself and tribe halfway round Europe on many occassions. Can’t be beaten for size and design but you need very deep pockets to run one, be warned. If I could afford it would like a Toyota Previa, will probably chop it in for a Zafira, clutch is going, enough is enough.

I worked for Ford when these were new and they were built by VW, not Ford. I've lost count of the amount of people who tell me that I've got that wrong! Yes, they were dreadful. I had the VW version and it was just as bad! Check on the VW forums and you will learn that the myth of VW reliability is exactly that..... Don't bother with a Zafira either - typical GM car built down to a price. Personally I would go for a Mazda 5 all day long - from

Submitted: 2010-11-23 | ID: 40085

Phil Pierpoint, Cambridgeshire

Ford Galaxy 2006

Bought this car as an ex-demonstrator and have loved it. Been all over Europe in great comfort. Came with multi media system and after six months my girls stated that they did not want to come out with the old un again . Very reliable, only problem was when I removed the rear seats I could not get them in again and had to go to the dealer who did it in seconds. Great for carrying people but not shopping. I am waiting to pick up a mark 3 (2008) hope it is just as good. Fantastic car.

Submitted: 2010-08-30 | ID: 40086

Rob Goddard, Leicestershire

Ford Galaxy 1999

A really good car with great space and comfort and drives like a dream. It is good on fuel and never fails to deliver. It always goes, no matter the weather. I’ve taken mine to Germany and she started 1st time even in temperatures of minus 20 degrees centigrade.

Submitted: 2010-07-12 | ID: 40087

N G, Buckinghamshire

Ford Galaxy 2001

Have had the car for 9 years, fantastic family car goes really well. Only two problems; air con gone twice(???) very annoying first time replaced under warranty, second had to fork out a lot of money. The second problem is the tyres, seems to go through them very quickly!!! I would love a new shape but a used Galaxy in a ghia is a bit pricey!!! I would love to find a bargin but not possible!!!

Submitted: 2010-05-31 | ID: 40079

Ron Biggin, Cumberland

Ford Galaxy 2003

I own a 2003 53 plate galaxy 1.9tdi. I’ve now had it six years; a brilliant car, the only fault was that in the front passenger foot well was all wet. It was the pipe joint to the rear washer separated - I pushed it back together and put insulating tape around it… problem solved. I would buy another.

Disconnect your battery leads and leave for an hour when you reconnect, it should reset worked on mine - Paul Hughes from England

Submitted: 2010-04-15 | ID: 40080

Derek Smith, Sussex

Ford Galaxy 1989

Other than food (oil) and alcohol (cheapest available) and water he/she gets no especial tlc, not even a ’plug’ change ! Obviously he/she presents him/her-self for the annual test. Always a reliable starter and gives a super-smooth ride on varying road surfaces.

Submitted: 2009-10-05 | ID: 40082

Michael Rust, Lincolnshire

Ford Galaxy 2009

Only had the vehicle 10 weeks and done 14k. Up to now it has measured up to my expectations, the only disappointment I have had with this vehicle is that it comes with no spare wheel, and there is no option of one. So at the cost of approx &pound200 I have had to purchase a steel wheel and tyre and jack and wheel brace. In the trade that this vehicle is used in along with others that will be sold this is not very acceptable. If I had known before buying the vehicle I probably wouldn’t have.

If this was purchased new from a Ford Dealership, then the Salesman should have stated that this car does not have a spare wheel, and fully explain to the customer - Keith Ellinor from Essex

I’m looking at getting what they call the ’new shape galaxy’ but have heard that they don’t come with a spare wheel or jack. My question is, is there space for a spare wheel? Please help - from Hertfordshire

There is no space for a spare wheel, dont’ buy one these they look good from a distance. The silver button on my hand brake fell off and I had to super glue it on, my alarm keeps going off, my air con does not work, the boot lock is made of plastic, the quality is c**p. What ever you do don’t get a flat tyre all you get is a puncture repair kit, really useful. The quality for the money is c**p. The handle you use to close the door loosens off quickly, the silver trim on the out side falls off if the door gets slammed a lot. You have been warned. I will never buy one of these again. Rubbish - Robert Paterson from Scotland

Further more I would like to add if you drive at 35 miles an hour with the rear windows down you get a helicopter chopping sound. On the motor way if you open a window while driving the road noise is prob the worst I have ever heard. I don’t know if these wind deflectors you can buy help but I would not want to buy them in case they don’t work as they cost a fortune. Feel the difference? Who are you kidding Ford? Cheap rubbish. The only good thing to say about this car is the space its fantastic, great for going on holiday in as long as you don’t open a window on the motorway. If the quality was better these would be great cars. To be fair the quality in most cars nowadays isnt good, I think anyway - Robert Paterson from Scotland

Submitted: 2009-07-21 | ID: 40102

Martin Tomlinson, Warwickshire

Ford Galaxy 2004

Excellent car. Has never gone wrong in nearly 4 years of driving, reliable, enjoyable to drive, bags of room. Price-to-value and reliability beats the opposition hands down. The gearbox in particular is the smoothest of any car I have ever owned. Sorry to hand it back and just hope the new Galaxy is as good. I can heartily recommend the Ford Galaxy.

I had a 1.8 TDI Galaxy for 15 months. It was the most economical car I ever owned. Never below 48 mpg on Urban Route and 54 mpg on Motorway Route. Pity it was so unreliable, requiring 5 replacement car batteries within the first 12 months. Leave it for a few days without using it and the battery would be completely flat, and not hold any recharge. Eventually FMC admitted there was a concern via a TSB. My car was attended to as a result of the TSB, and would only give a flat battery after 6 weeks. I got rid of the Car! - Keith Ellinor from Essex

Submitted: 2008-01-11 | ID: 40099

Donal Taylor, County Antrim

Ford Galaxy 2007

Great drive either on Motorway or secondary roads. Good punchy acceleration. Low down Turbo lag lets it down around town, very refined, economical and comfortable - average 43 mpg over last 15k miles.

Submitted: 2008-01-07 | ID: 40098

Michael Walsh, London

Ford Galaxy 2004

3 new clutches.............driver fault from ford uk.......2nd clutch replaced free only after i brought it to ireland and main ford dealer said should be under warranty.......fly wheel slipping.......... anyone else with the same problem e-mail me walshandson@talktalk.net

Submitted: 2007-11-23 | ID: 40097

Trevor Reid, Cumberland

Ford Galaxy 2007

I love this car. I originally bought it with the wife and kids in mind but have found driving it a real pleasure. It’s a great package and the whole family (including the dog) really enjoy travelling in it. Definitely recommended.

Submitted: 2007-09-05 | ID: 40101

• Richard Gell's question has been answered: "I'm looking for one myself mate and have found a seller for them on eBay for £39. Seller is admar1975 - James Gilby from Kent' '..." (10/09/2017 21:29:13)
  • Paul Hart's question has been answered: "Hello, i had my Galaxy misfiring now and then. After a while the car suddenly didnt go faster than somewhat like 40km/h. After shut down an restart - Staf from Belgium' '..." (23/07/2017 09:35:04)

Ford Galaxy 2010 road test report

The Galaxy gains a new turbo petrol engine and twin-clutch gearbox, while the diesel engine line-up is also revised. Upgraded trim levels bring more standard equipment, but the Galaxy’s impressive seven-seat space and comfort remain intact. With excellent economy and emissions from the diesels, the [...]

Ford Galaxy 2010 road test report

Ford Galaxy 1.8TDCi 125 Zetec road test report

Ford’s practical, functional and successful Galaxy MPV was first launched in 1995. Eleven years on saw the release of a re-engineered, second-generation Galaxy with fresh exterior styling and an all-new interior, and few other models can offer quite such a bewildering combination of engines, power o [...]

Ford Galaxy 1.8TDCi 125 Zetec road test report