FORD GALAXY questions and answers: Page 10

Ford Galaxy

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD GALAXY models. Help and advice on everything FORD GALAXY. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD GALAXY questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Jason Woods, Surrey

Ford Galaxy 2003

How do you connect a short loom on my Ford Galaxy? Is it an easy job as Ford are quoting me £100 labour? I have been told it`s just a case of taking the inside door skin off and just connecting either end, one to the main frame and the other to the inside of the door. Is this correct? The door is the driver`s passenger side. Many thanks.

Submitted: 09/05/2013 14:38:35 | ID: 59231

Phil, England

Ford Galaxy 2007

When accelerating in second or third gear particularly the increase in my Ford Galaxy`s speed is slower than the increase in engine speed. Is this likely to be a clutch or a turbo problem and with what associated cost? (2.0 tdci Zetec)

Loss of power? As if it is you have lost your turbo? Maybe if you stop the engine and restart the engine the power is back straight away? But will lose power again at any time? This loss of power is the engine going into limp mode, this is a fault which comes up occasionally with Galaxy deisels... If that sounds like what is wrong with yours? I have just had this very problem (it’s your map sensor for the turbo system) which is the manifold pressure sensor and control sensor... sending wrong info to ecu computer to mix air to fuel for the turbo you can take it off and clean it with a spray of brake cleaner to clean the light oil off then shake off the excess brake cleaner and blow it dry... then just refit it... if that gives you all your power back for several hundred miles... then you know a seal is leaking oil/fuel from the turbo... a cheap fix is to repeat cleaning every 500 miles or so before you lose power again, it’s much cheaper than replacing a turbo... that is what I am doing with mine, it’s only a 5 miniute job once a month. When you take map sensor off your car and look inside it you might see a small amount of oil/fuel on the white bud in the center which is causing the problem just clean it off... cleaning it will temporally correct the sensor for a short while which will give you time to purchase the new part. I would advise to check different suppliers as I found it to be over 10 pound cheaper from VW parts. The VW part number is 038906051B listed as map sensor or manifold pressure sensor. I do hope this is your problem and this info will sort your problem John Wood from Essex wer here...

If the engine revs are rising but speed isn’t increasing as fast as it should in relation to the engine increase then it’s the clutch, either oil on the friction surface or just plain wear Seymour Harding from Bedfordshire

Submitted: 25/04/2013 10:21:06 | ID: 64736

Pete, England

Ford Galaxy 2010

Does anyone know how to get a spare key cut for my Ford Galaxy without taking out a second mortgage? Not the remote, just to unlock the door manually and start the ignition?

Submitted: 18/04/2013 11:29:12 | ID: 68010

Amanda Lees, Wales

Ford Galaxy 2012

The running lights have stopped working on the driver`s side of my Ford Galaxy and I have a message on the dash that says "position lamps bulb fault". Could anyone help please as I cannot go out at night without being pulled again? Thank you so much. (Titanium X)

Submitted: 18/04/2013 09:37:10 | ID: 93180

Richard Grove, Lancashire

Ford Galaxy 2006

I have a Ford Galaxy 1.8 TDCI manual 56 plate which has been fine when driving short distances but now has developed a problem. When cruising at normal motorway speeds and then slowing down, the engine cuts out completely, which is obviously frightening and dangerous. When the breakdown service engineer put the car through a diagnostic check no faults were identified. When the car has cooled down it starts with no problem and then drives perfectly, even for long distances (100 miles), but as soon as you slow down it cuts out again. Please can anybody help me with this? (1.8 diesel TDCI)

I had the same problem with a 2-0 TDCi Galaxy - it took 2 dealers to resolve the issue which was a faulty engine management module which is located under the offside front wheel arch. The unit failed when tapped with a screwdriver. The printed circuit board inside was cracked. Once replaced all was OK Roger Heathcote from Essex

Submitted: 15/04/2013 16:12:48 | ID: 92868

Davie, Ayrshire

Ford Galaxy 1999

My Ford Galaxy`s central locking has stopped working and when the driver`s door is locked the trip meter gose to zero, the tailgate is still being locked when the engine is running the central locking module isn`t under the passenger seat. Everything else seams to be working. Does anyone know what it could be? Thanks. (1.9 tdi)

Just to let everyone know I fixed the central locking and it was a fuse – Davie from Ayrshire Anonymous from

I had this prob! And believe it or not it turned out to be that one of the connectors was loose on the red batt terminal Roland Wilkerson from Essex

Submitted: 15/04/2013 14:37:23 | ID: 92171

Melvin Haney, England

Ford Galaxy 2004

Hi. Does anyone know how to remove the gear knob on my 2004 Ford Galaxy 1.9 tdi 6 speed box? I want to fit a new gater and it won`t fit over the gear knob. I have tried turning it and pulling. Haynes` workshop manual is no help. Can anyone help me please? (1.9 tdi Galaxy)

Submitted: 11/04/2013 10:36:21 | ID: 92749

Andrew Latchford, England

Ford Galaxy 2007

There is a yellow warning light on the dash of my Ford Galaxy with the letter i on it which is staying on together with the esp light. It`s also saying forward alert malfunction and hill launch not available. What does all this mean? Thanks.

Esp light on M raja from West Midlands

Andrew, some of your safety related components are sending messages to the ecu that IT interprets as faulty.. you ought to get a diagnostic scan done to find what the problem is. ESP is electronic stability program.. in severe driving situations (hard braking, severe direction changing - like to avoid accidents) the ecu makes calculations and adjustments to try and assist you maintain control. R Evans from Caerphilly

Submitted: 08/04/2013 10:31:14 | ID: 92692

Tony Pearce, Suffolk

Ford Galaxy 2000

My Ford Galaxy 1.9td mk2 2000 kept playing up starting but will not start at all now. It had a new battery and air flow sensor as it was losing power and that was okay but a week later it won`t start. Please can anybody help? (1.9td)

Hi Tony. When last driving did you have any lights come on the dash and then anything stop working? Have you checked the fuse box inside the engine bay? You can locate this by following the red live wire from your battery. In the past one of my big fuses had

I had another thought today, it could be your ignition switch. Last month I lost wipers, headlight, brake lights etc and it turned out to be that one of my main wires had been arcing sparks and had burnt up wires messing up my electrics. Also someone I know bought a car and after a week he had starting problems, non starting, this was his ignition switch - worth a look. Good luck – John Wood from Essex

Submitted: 02/04/2013 11:47:25 | ID: 80687

Frank McCann, Lancashire

Ford Galaxy 1999

Hi. I have a Ford Galaxy 1.9 tdi. When I start it up it runs with lots of power but after a short distance it loses power. If I stop it and restart it runs fine for a short distance then loses power again. Could anyone please help me? Thankyou. (1.9 tdi)

Hi Frank, loss of power? As if it is you have lost your turbo? And if you stop the engine and restart the engine the power is back straight away? But will lose power again at any time? This loss of power is the engine going into limp mode, this is a fault which comes up occasionally with Galaxy deisels... If that sounds like what is wrong with yours? I have just had this very problem (it’s your map sensor for the turbo system) which is the manifold pressure sensor and control sensor... sending wrong info to ecu computer to mix air to fuel for turbo you can take it off and clean it with a spray of brake cleaner and dry it with the air gun that you pump car tyres with at garages. When you take it off your car and look inside it you might see a small amount of oil which is causing the problem but just need to clean it off... cleaning it will temporally correct the sensor for a short while which will give you time to purchase the new part would advise to check different suppliers as I found it to be over 10 pound cheaper from VW parts. The VW part number is 038906051B listed as map sensor or manifold pressure sensor. I do hope this is your problem and this info will sort your problem PS I have asked garage to clean the old one and have it in glove box as a spare to get me home on full power if this happens again - I have 2003 Xetec tdi Galaxy. All the best john wood from Essex

Sounds like it needs a new accelerator, I had the same trouble Denis Payne from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 22/03/2013 15:48:37 | ID: 66530

Richard Dunne, England

Ford Galaxy 2008

The bulbs keep blowing on my Ford Galaxy. First the rear top tail lights, then the same tail lights for a second time within a week. The following week a headlight bulb went and this week the rear tail lights again! I’ve never had to change so many bulbs in such a short space of time. Is there an electrical fault/fuse problem? I have heard that the electrics on Ford Galaxys can be troublesome. Does anyone know why I`m having this problem? Thanks.

I lost all front headlights heater wipers and a mixture of rear lights inc brake lights last month. The AA breakdown could not find the problem after checking fuses fuse box there are 2 fuse boxes there is a small one in the engine bay that runs a live wire from your battery. Make sure they have been checked as well as the fuse box under the steering wheel/drivers door. My local garage found my problem to be the ignition switch barrel, it had been arking and burnt the wire and plastic switch. These are 2 things I would suggest to check out. Hope this helps you, all the best john wood from Essex

Submitted: 21/03/2013 14:37:44 | ID: 91998

Garth Randal, Argyllshire

Ford Galaxy 2003

I have a dashboard light for one of the indicators on my Ford Galaxy not working. It comes on very faintly when the indicator is on. Is it correct I have to have the whole cluster of led lights replaced, as this is over £500? Also it seems to be impossible to get at it. Is it just one tiny led gone and if so can it be repaired without the whole cluster being replaced?

Submitted: 21/03/2013 11:41:03 | ID: 66526

Lynette Kirby, Hampshire

Ford Galaxy 2004

I have had a problem with our Ford Galaxy for some time now. I`m having a problem with never knowing whether the car will start or not. Before Christmas I bought a new car battery. It has been to a garage but they are unsure as well. It seems to be that it won`t start when warm. If I haven`t used it for a day or two it seems okay most of the time, but if used more when it`s warm it won`t start. Does anybody have any ideas? Please help.

Hi Lynette, problems I have had with non starting my Galaxy over the 10 years with my galaxy are... 1: My starter motor was several years old and sounded no different than usual... but it turned out that it was not turning over the engine quick enough for the engine to start... 2nd problem I have had was one of the the injector seals had perished and was letting air in... so I had trouble starting the motor every time when left more than 20 mins after any journey. This was due to the fuel running back to the fuel tank... and just had to keep turning the engine over till fuel had worked back into engine... This problem was not found by my local garage man; I had to send it to a specialist in diesel engines, costly but worth it. My Galaxy has been great to me over the 10 years, I have now reached 590,000 miles which is the most I have ever done in any one car. Ford diesels are just great... best of luck, hope info helps john wood from Essex

Submitted: 21/03/2013 09:49:00 | ID: 92056

Paul Banfield, Oxfordshire

Ford Galaxy 2005

My Ford Galaxy`s nearside back passenger floor is constantly getting wet. I have checked the seal on the door and cannot see anything wrong with it. Could anyone please advise if there is a reason for the leak? Thanks. (1.9 TDI)

It could be the water pipe to rear window washer which runs under the carpet has parted and every time you use the window washer more water leaks out David from Essex

Hi Paul, leak might be behind the front/rear door trim where it holds the carpet down. Ice got to mine under the front pas door trim floor cover. I found a small plastic joiner had iced and split. Does it get wetter when you operate the rear tail wash... joiner may be under rear door trim. Check your plugs under the car, the sound proofing takes a while to dry out, tried to remove mine and wrecked it... who knows what glue they used back in the day. Good luck Robert from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 15/03/2013 14:04:36 | ID: 91741

Liam Richardson, England

Ford Galaxy 1997

Hello. I have a Ford Galaxy that doesn’t rev over 2000rpm and blows a pipe off every time I rev it. I’ve put a new fuel filter on it and it`s made no difference. Can anyone help me please? Many thanks.

I gather you mean an engine breather pipe, without knowing which engine you have Petrol or Diesel, I’d say that if it is the same pipe it blows off check that pipe for blockages Andrew Stevens from England

Submitted: 13/03/2013 12:11:01 | ID: 91613

Clare Hirst, Staffordshire

Ford Galaxy 2009

The ’passenger door open’ warning suddenly came on, despite the door being closed. Windows on passenger front and rear doors no longer work and we are unable to lock the car either by the fob or manually. An auto electrician is currrently investigating but struggling to find the problem. Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any ideas of what to try please?

Look between the doors! Inside the rubber tube (I bet) you will find that a few cables have broken! Simple fix Roland Wilkerson from Essex

Submitted: 12/03/2013 09:52:32 | ID: 91591

Mike, Derbyshire

Ford Galaxy 2006

Driving ok then complete loss of power. The engine doesn’t cut out completely however loss of power prevents movement. Engine malfunction sign on dashboard which completely clears when re-started. No messages to say theres a problem after it’s been re-started. Any ideas please?

Hi Mike, loss of power? As if it is you have lost your turbo? And if you stop the engine and restart the engine the power is back straight away? But will lose power again at any time? This loss of power is the engine going into limp mode, this is quite a fault which comes up occasionally with Galaxy deisels... If that sounds like what is wrong with yours? I have just had this very problem (it’s your map sensor for the turbo system) which is the manifold pressure sensor and control sensor... sending wrong info to ecu computer to mix air to fuel for turbo you can take it off and clean it with a spray of brake cleaner and dry it with the air gun that you pump car tyres with at garages. When you take it off and look inside it you should see a small amount of oil which is not a problem but just need to clean it off... cleaning it will temporally correct the sensor which will give you time to purchase the new part would advise to check different suppliers as I found it to be over 10 pound cheaper from VW parts. The VW part number is 038906051B listed as map sensor or manifold pressure sensor. I do hope this is your problem and this info will sort your problem PS I have asked garage to clean the old one and have it in glove box as a spare to get me home on full power if this happens again - I have 2003 Xetec tdi Galaxy. All the best john wood from Essex

Submitted: 12/03/2013 08:47:23 | ID: 91562

Kealan Murphy, England

Ford Galaxy 2005

My Ford Galaxy`s back brake lights aren`t working and it`s not the brake pedal switch. I know this because the back window light is working but the bottom two aren`t. I have put in new fuses and new bulbs but there`s no change. There`s no power getting to them but there is to the reverse lights. What can I do?

Hi Kealan, I lost all front headlights heater wipers and a mixture of rear lights inc brake lights last month. The AA breakdown could not find the problem after checking fuses fuse box there are 2 fuse boxes there is a small one in the engine bay that runs a live wire from your battery. Make sure they have been checked as well as the fuse box under the steering wheel/drivers door. My local garage found my problem to be the ignition switch, it had been arking and burnt the wire and plastic switch. These are 2 things I would suggest to check out. Hope this helps you, all the best john wood from Essex

Submitted: 04/03/2013 11:10:56 | ID: 91140

Graham Brew, England

Ford Galaxy 2002

Hi my sister has a Ford Galaxy. The wipers started coming on with brakes. Now it won’t start and the glow plug light doesn’t come on. It will turn over if I turn the key straight through to engine start, but if I just turn the key so the ignition is on and wait a couple of seconds before trying to start then it won’t turn over at all. There is clearly an electrical fault but I`m not sure where to start to diagnose the cause of the problem. I checked the fuses and a couple had blown so I replaced them but it still won’t start. I tried using a jump lead to test the earth but that didn’t seem to work either. I`m not sure if the EGM needs resetting or something. Can anyone help?

Hi Graham, I lost all front headlights, heater, wipers and a mixture of rear lights inc brake lights last month. The AA breakdown could not find the problem after checking fuses and fuse box. Galaxys have 2 fuse boxes there is a small one in the engine bay that runs a live wire from your battery. I would check that out as a few years ago one of my large fuses had gave up the ghost (corroded). Check the fuse box under the steering wheel/drivers door. My local garage found my problem to be the ignition switch, it had been arking and burnt the wire and plastic switch. These are the 2 areas I would suggest to check out. Hope this helps you, all the best john wood from Essex

Submitted: 04/03/2013 11:05:59 | ID: 65488

Mark Hamett, London

Ford Galaxy 1999

I have just changed the battery on my Ford Galaxy and the alarm keeps going off constantly. I’ve also lost the radio code which is unfortunately not in the service book. To top it all, the nearside front door lock latch is in the locked position and I cannot lock the door. I have only just aquired the vehicle so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Any ideas please? Thank you. (2.8 ghia X)

Your door lock can be reset using a small scewdriver, with door open looking at door mech use screwdriver to flick back the lock mechanism until it resets. You should be able to aquire your original radio code from main dealer by producing proof of ownership, eg, logbook. If you cannot lock the nearship front door and its stuck in locked position the alarm will keep going off, sorting out lock problem and resetting it should cure the problem Kevin Anderton from Berkshire

Submitted: 04/03/2013 09:14:51 | ID: 91126

Jason Woods, England

Ford Galaxy 2003

I have a Ford Galaxy TDI 1.9L 2003 and I have a problem with my front brakes. When I first use the car in the morning within 2 minutes my brakes start to lock up. The brake pedal is very stiff and I only have to touch it and the brake goes fully on. I had to stop the other day and pour water on them as they were red hot. My garage is unsure of the problem. I have checked the usual suspects but no answers. I had the brake pedal switch changed the day before, could this be the problem? Any assistance would be of great help.

Submitted: 26/02/2013 12:00:03 | ID: 91007

John, England

Ford Galaxy

Hi there. My brother-in-law has a Ford Galaxy R reg and he cannot get it to start. It goes to turn over but then does nothing. I called the AA and they said that they don`t know what is up with it. Can anyone please help with what the matter could be?

If it’s a 1.9 diesel, and the battery is turning it over ok, I would change the 109 relay, below the steering wheel It’s a pig to get at. Undo the fuse panel, swing it forwards, undo two plastic hooks, lift the fuse assy and one relay panel, upwards and outwards. The 109 relay is on the remaining panel, if it has been fitted upside down, it might look like a 601 Alex Baird from Cumberland

Submitted: 25/02/2013 16:33:11 | ID: 90970

David, Cumberland

Ford Galaxy 1997

I think my Ford Galaxy`s gear selector is broken. There is no lateral movement with the gear stick, I can only engage third and fourth gears and the shift is pretty stiff. As the MPV is nearly 16 years old I am loathe to spend more than a couple of hundred on it as MOT’s seem to be costing me more and more these days. Can anyone give me an idea of what this will cost at my Ford dealership to sort? Any help will be appreciated. (1.9 TDI)

I had the same problem on 2.3 DOHC, but would only engage 1st and 2nd. Pulled up the gearstick gator and sprayed the mechanism with a fair bit of wd40, then popped bonnet and sprayed where the selector rods connect to the gearbox with loads of wd40, left it over night and it started getting looser... gave it a little bit of force and finally had every gear... does still get stiff sometimes, but only for 1 gear change then behaves itself... hope this helps Anonymous from England

Submitted: 22/02/2013 11:57:50 | ID: 64208

Colin Jacobs, England

Ford Galaxy 2004

Hi, I own a 2004 Ford Galaxy Ghia and recently due to a flat battery the car stereo required a code to log back in. Unfortunately the one written in the handbook didn’t work so it is now locked! The stereo is a factory fitted navigation disc changer system and apears to be quite rare. The problem I have is unlocking the locked stereo and then getting a code to log in? The chap in the Ford shop said with the average Ford stereo you just hold two numbers down and the stereo will reset. He was confused by mine and couldn’t offer any answers. Could anyone help? Thanks. (Ghia)

Take the stereo off all power for couple of hours, should reset. Lock out the hold keys 1 and 6 together the display will show you the serial number go on ebay search ford codes cost you 99p job done Galaxy man yeah from England

I had a Ford Mondeo and had the same problem. Found this web site and worked a treat. http://www.freefordradiocode.co.uk/ Alison Hughes from Ceredigion

Submitted: 15/02/2013 11:09:42 | ID: 90579

Sten Kuhharev, Estonia

Ford Galaxy 2012

Hello. I have a problem with my Ford Galaxy`s battery. Does anyone know why my car uses the battery so much? My battery is draining all of the time. Any ideas please? Thank you. (2.0 tdci 103 kw)

Hi, I drive a 2005 Galaxy. I had the same prob, battery was draining all the time, car was just about starting first thing in the morning. So went to garage. They checked alternator glow plugs and electrical charging unit but every thing checked out OK. I had the batt checked and it was weak so the garage advised me to charge it. I did this at home but still the battery would not hold the charge. I noticed that the dash board lights were very weak and would sometimes flicker, needles would jump so I was going to bite the bullet and buy a new batt. So on the way to Ford the car gave a chug, I lost power, all the dash lights came on, then I had nothing. Scared the crap outta me. Pulled over to the side of the road and realised I had no indicators or hazard warning lights and no console lights inside the car. When I flicked on the indicators stalk there was a fast clicking so defo something wrong. I left the car in a local auto electric shop as Ford were charging me 80 pounds just to run a diagnostic check and the guy in my local auto electric shop told me that the fault was a corroded wiring loom that was causing a short and wreaking havoc on my cars electrical system and constantly draining the batt to the point that it killed my battery. The indicator loom was replaced at a cost of 40 pounds. As I knew my battery was gone I went to my local breakers yard and bought a battery. Have to say problem is sorted, car is much happier now so hope this info helps you Patrick Murphy from Northern Ireland

Submitted: 08/02/2013 09:54:35 | ID: 90307

Frank Stephens, England

Ford Galaxy 1996

My Ford Galaxy v6 was only firing on five after heavy rain. I thought it was a plug so changed them but it was still no good so I changed leads and coil pack. It`s still the same after heavy rain untill it warms up, then it seems okay. Could the ecu be getting wet or maybe somthing else?

Submitted: 31/01/2013 14:31:16 | ID: 90064

Kolawole, Nigeria

Ford Galaxy 2004

I just bought a used Ford Galaxy 2.3 6V Futura full options with automatic gearbox. Please can anyone educate me as to whether the automatic gearbox has Triptronics, that is the ability to change gear manually, though the gearbox is automatic? Thanks and regards. (2.3 16V Futura full options)

Submitted: 29/01/2013 10:21:30 | ID: 89672

Paul Sheen, Essex

Ford Galaxy 1997

My Ford Galaxy revs at 2000 when cold, when warmed up it runs at 1000/2000 but fluctuates. When stopped it drops to normal revs at 750/800. It`s okay in warm weather, this only happens in cold weather. It feels and sounds like the choke is on a normal carburettor car. Can anyone help me please? Regards. (2.3 petrol ghia)

Hi, it sounds like you have an air leak from one of the air pipes or ideal control vaulve is sticking. Hope this helps Steve Haycox from England

Submitted: 24/01/2013 12:36:15 | ID: 89485

Mark Mancini, England

Ford Galaxy 2000

Hi there, I have a Ford Galaxy 1.9 TD W reg. In the last few days when I get into my car it starts first time then we go out and when I get back into the car again it will not start. It tries to turn over and I notice the glow plug light does not come on, the car will go with a push. If the car doesn`t start I can leave it for 20 minutes and then it starts. I`ve fitted a new battery on but still the same problem. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

Hi, we have exactly the same problem and the Ford garage have had our car for nearly 5 weeks, we replaced the battery, they’ve tested the alternator, wiring wiring loom and suggested glow plugs wouldn’t need changing unless we lived in the article but now they are saying they want to change them. If you find an answer please post it here Jay Shakespeare from England

Just ask them to check immobiliser and transponder or crank sensor. If you have any luck let us know Steve Horn from England

My Galaxy 1999 tdi was the same; it turned out relay 15 was the problem. It was replaced by myself, the relay sits behind the main fuse box, driver’s side knee height. Hope this helps Jonny Smith from Swansea

My Galaxy 2000 (I) 2.8 v6 wouldn’t start one time out of ten, no problem at all when the motor was running but just to start was a lottery. When not starting and then pushed a little, the car would start ok. Turned out to be a faulty crank-sensor. Replaced it, no problem starting anymore... Unfortunately, the help-underway guys demolished a gasoline tube, fireplug wiring, air-inlet and other components before deciding to tow it to a garage... Evas es from Netherlands

8 weeks on and a second Ford garage and a chief technician later has decided it is the Ford throttle body that is at fault... due to be replaced tomorrow morning, will let you know Jay Shakespeare from England

This looks like the 109 relay problem, which Ford have never got round to fixing. Fit the VW relay, cheaper than Ford Alex Baird from Cumberland

Submitted: 21/01/2013 11:38:02 | ID: 67628

Albert Bryant, Spain

Ford Galaxy 2000

Hi. My Ford Galaxy 1.9 tdi year 2000 l.h.d had a fire under the dashboard, damaging the wiring to the multiple plug into the speedo head. I need the colour wiring code for the handbrake light, abs light and airbag light. Can anyone help please? Thanks.

Submitted: 21/01/2013 09:40:24 | ID: 68109

Natasha Thompson, Carmarthenshire

Ford Galaxy 1996

I have a 1.9tdi Ford Galaxy and every time it’s cold it doesn’t start, also there is an orange coil light that flashes on the dash board. We don’t have a clue what’s wrong with it and it has a full tank of diesel before anyone asks. Any ideas please? (Diesel)

Hi Natasha, the coil light that flashes could be the glow plugs. If Galaxy starts all ok all the time in good and fair weather but does not want to start in the cold weather (frosts) it may be the glow plugs are not working 100% and maybe need replacing. You may be able to prolong having to change these by turning the ignition on, let 10 seconds go by, then turn keys to off position (without turning the engine over) (2) then immediately do this again but on 10 seconds turn engine over to start the engine this may help starting in the cold weather (frosts). If this is not the problem with starting in the cold weather then it maybe the key ignition switch has become faulty as this happened to me while; Galaxy was under its 1st year warranty (when I turned ignition on I had no response; when I tried to turn the engine over) after 4 or 5 tries it came to life. Let me know if this helps or I can consult my Ford mechanic friend. Thanks john wood from Essex

Mine was suddenly like this after 95,000 miles and the first garage could not fix it. I looked some more and found a broken wire to a temperature sensor in the top hose at the front of the engine bay. I soldered in an extra bit of wire and taped it up and it starts well again. Before that I had replaced the glow plugs with no effect. It seems the engine computer will not put power to the glow plugs if it cannot read the water temperature. Hope that helps Martin Appleyard from Surrey

Submitted: 18/01/2013 15:56:13 | ID: 68068

Albert Bryant, Spain

Ford Galaxy 2000

Hi. I`m trying to rewire multiplug after a dash fire on my Ford Galaxy 2000 1.9tdi. I need a colour wiring code for handbrake light, abs light and airbag light going into instruments. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Submitted: 18/01/2013 15:23:03 | ID: 68061

Phil Webster, Derbyshire

Ford Galaxy 2004

I have experienced a burnt alt cable / fuse box (by battery) problem with my Ford Galaxy. I recrimped wire to fuse but will need to do it properly with new cable and fuse box. My local Ford dealer is surprised by my problem! Heater positions 1 and 2 do not operate. I have read some answers but does the fuse assembly for this have to be replaced or are they individual fuses?I believe the item is behind the glovebox, can it be accessed via the radio/cd? Also the air con doesn’t hold charge for long, I believe that corrosion on a cap on the cooler assy can cause a problem. Is it repairable and is it located at the front of the engine compartment? Thanks for any replies. (1.9TDi)

Submitted: 18/01/2013 11:39:18 | ID: 67988

Dave Fortey, Cornwall

Ford Galaxy 2002

Our Ford Galaxy loses power on the odd occasion, especially when going uphill or under high demand. Also when starting from cold there is a smell of exhaust fumes when starting up and it needs a boot full of throttle to ensure it initially runs, otherwise it instantly dies and takes a lot of turning over to ensure a second start. Finally the engine does not seem to reach 90 degree operating temperature, it seems to sit around 70 degrees yet idles at about 900. We have recently had a new exhaust system but this made no difference. Any ideas? (tdi zetec)

Hi Dave, loss of power? Is it as if you have lost your turbo? And if you stop the engine and restart the engine the power is back straight away? But will lose power again at any time? This loss of power is the engine going into limp mode, this is quite common with galaxy deisels... If that is what is wrong with yours I have just had this very problem (it’s your map sensor for the turbo system) which is the manifold pressure sensor and control sensor... sending wrong info to computer to mix air to fuel for turbo you can take it off and clean it with a spray of brake cleaner and dry it with the air gun that you pump car tyres with. If you look inside it you should see a small amount of oil; cleaning it will temporally correct the sensor which will give you time to purchase the new part would advise to check as i found it to be over 10 pound cheaper from VW parts. The VW part number is 038906051B listed as map sensor ormanifold pressure sensor. I do hope this is your problem and this info will sort your problem PS I have asked garage to clean the old one and have it in glove box as a spare to get me home on full power if this happens again john wood from Essex

Submitted: 18/01/2013 09:01:59 | ID: 64797

Mike Todd, Cheshire

Ford Galaxy 2005

When there is a frost my Ford Galaxy will only start and stay running for a couple of seconds before it dies. After several tries at starting the red LED on the door panel started frantically flashing and the light on the rear heating switch lit up? Once the frost has gone the car is fine. Any ideas please? (1.9 tdi)

Hi Mike, I have a Ford Galaxy 2003 Zetec1.9 tdi. It’s my car I use for taxi, it now has 580,350miles and counting; great car! Within the first six months of purchase in May 2003 I had a problem starting my car under heavy frosts; I turned ignition on and it may of had no lights on dash light up (not 100% sure about that as it was such a long time ago) however I am 100% sure when turning key to turn over the engine there was no response from the engine at all but after turning the key about 6 to 8 times to try to turn the engine over I think dash lights came on and then started, so took to my local Ford dealership and had to leave it with them over 2 nights (with frosts) and they had no idea or anything (clueless). I remembered someone telling me that John Grouse Ipswich were very good at trouble shooting problems so walked in to the service area told them what was happening, or rather was not happening. Straight away said that it would be a faulty ignition switch - this was replaced, problem solved under warranty. I hope this info is of help to you if you have the same problems and symptoms. Happy motoring John from Essex

Submitted: 14/01/2013 11:47:55 | ID: 67779

Lucy Scott, England

Ford Galaxy 2000

Hi. I have a Ford Galaxy 2.3 petrol year 2000. My cat converter went I changed this and 6 months later it went again. I had a diagnostic machine put on my car which showed a problem with the O2 sensor. My car started to run rough and started to backfire since then I have had the O2 sensor and the cat converter changed again at first the car wouldn’t start and when it did the backfiring continued. I was told to keep the revs going to allow fuel to pass threw for the O2 sensor after about 5 mins the car backfired with a loud bang and the cat went again after being fitted just a day. Can anyone help me to know what the problem could be please?

Check plugs and maybe needs a service on it; change fuel filter. Hope it helps Steve Horn from England

Submitted: 10/01/2013 08:54:47 | ID: 67606

Mark Davies, Cheshire

Ford Galaxy 2002

My Ford Galaxy 1.9 tdi 2002 driver’s door stopped operating remotely, all other doors lock fine but I have to lock the driver’s manually, at the same time my interior clock and trip computer stopped working. After some research found that their was at least 6 broken wires located behind the black plastic tube in the top right hand corner of the boot lid when open. I reconnected all the wires but still nothing. I am wandering if it might have blown a fuse when they broke or shorted maybe, I have looked but can not find the fuse to suit any of the faults. My handbook looks completly different to the fuse panel in my car. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE FUSE MAY BE LOCATED FOR ANY OF THESE?

Hi Mark, there are 2 areas with fuses, one area is inside by the driver leg / under the dash. 2nd fuse box which has the big boy fuses is found in the engine bay... in the engine bay work back from the possative terminal from your battery a red thick wire should lead you to a small plastic box, this holds your big fuses that runs the bigger stuff on your galaxy... Hope this info helps, cheers john wood from Essex

Submitted: 08/01/2013 13:55:43 | ID: 67509

William Byrne, Ireland

Ford Galaxy 2006

I was driving out of my drive when my Ford Galaxy`s engine cut out (I was in too high a gear). The lights were on when the car cut out. When I restarted the engine no lights were working,front or rear and the wipers have stopped working. I had all the fuses checked and they are all okay. Can anyone help please?

Hi William, have you checked the fuse box in the engine bay? If you follow the thick red wire from the positive terminal on battery that will lead you to the big fuses in a small plastic junction box... Check those, hope this helps, thanks john wood from Essex

Hi William again... not sure if you have sorted out your problem yet as it was a while since you posted your question. iI stopped to help someone who broke down 2 days ago. When I got back in my car started engine and found I had no lights (side main and full beam), no brake lights, no wipers and no heater... problem was traced to my ignition switch that had been arking and has burnt wires into the loom switch... have had a new ignition switch cost of £40.00 from VW Parts and got the plastic end off the end of the loom from brakers yard garage has done some tempory wiring to allow brake lights to work from the brake bar at the top of rear window. I still have no side lights so car will be going back for more investigation to see what the full damage was done! Hope this helps or you have already sorted? My problem is still ongoing. Thanks john wood from Essex

Submitted: 08/01/2013 09:57:23 | ID: 67338

Gary Mackenzie, Norfolk

Ford Galaxy 2002

My dashboard light has stopped working. Can it be the fuse or maybe bulb? If fuse, do you know what fuse as I do not have handbook. Many thanks.

Submitted: 07/01/2013 17:40:30 | ID: 67257

Douglas Robertson, Scotland

Ford Galaxy 2002

The heating control unit in my Ford Galaxy seems to have seized over the past year, I am unable to alter the temperature or the fan. The buttons feel as though they are stuck fast. The mechanic who services the car informed me that the unit needs to be replaced. I gather that this is very expensive. I would like to buy a unit and instal it myself. Can anyone advise me how to do this? My first problem is to get the old one out without destroying the dash? (diesel)

Submitted: 07/01/2013 14:07:44 | ID: 66982