FORD GALAXY questions and answers: Page 12

Ford Galaxy

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD GALAXY models. Help and advice on everything FORD GALAXY. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD GALAXY questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Danny Timmins, England

Ford Galaxy 1999

Whereabouts is the air conditioning filling point on a mark one Ford Galaxy?

It is located behind the off side indicator unit Andy Gates from Essex

It’s Under driver’s side indicator lamp and is easy to remove and fill. However, there could be a leak in the system or worse, so get it checked otherwise you’ll be wasting a can of air con gas. Peter from Ireland

Submitted: 30/08/2012 10:33:14 | ID: 87311

Andy Emmett, Buckinghamshire

Ford Galaxy 2008

How do I change the engine oil and filter on my 1.8 diesel Ford Galaxy auto Ghia?

Submitted: 30/08/2012 10:30:33 | ID: 87325

George Cheng, England

Ford Galaxy 1998

Where is the diagnostic port on my Ford Galaxy Ghia 2.3 LT?

The OBD2 Diagnostic Connector (SAE J1962) can generally be located about a foot below the Instrument pack, either side of the steering column. It may be embedded in the underscuttle trim, so it’s not obvious. But it will be there - Ford Standrads comply to SAE J1962 in this instance Kevin Vickers from Warwickshire

I have a 1999 2.3 automatic Ford Galaxy and the diagnostic connector is located under the ashtray in the centre column. Peter from Ireland

Submitted: 28/08/2012 16:51:51 | ID: 86461

Andrew Bates, England

Ford Galaxy 1996

Hi, the windows and central locking on my Ford Galaxy go on and off and the windows go up and down when the key is not in the car. Please can anyone help? (2.0 petrol)

Submitted: 28/08/2012 10:32:45 | ID: 86474

John Scott, England

Ford Galaxy 2011

I am travelling to France. Can I adjust the headlamps on my Ford Galaxy or do I need to buy a converter kit and if so which one? (Titanium X)

Submitted: 24/08/2012 14:35:04 | ID: 86412

Scott Baker, England

Ford Galaxy 2008

My Ford Galaxy`s light in the footwells and the boot stay on 24/7. How do I turn them off?

Submitted: 24/08/2012 14:32:39 | ID: 75378

Rozanne, Warwickshire

Ford Galaxy 2008

We have a whooshing sound coming from under the bonnet of our Ford Galaxy (drivers side) when accelerating. We have assumed that it’s something to do with the air con as it sounds like air escaping and that`s been faulty for a while, but someone has now mentioned the turbo. Could this be the case? If so, what are the dangers of still driving it? (TDCI Ghia 1800)

Sound like a split in one of your charge pipes for the inter cooler. No major issue, just get a replacement from a scrapyard or similar. From memory they are held on by Jubilee type clips. They can be hard to access though. The whooshing is the pressurized air escaping from the pipe on its way to be cooled. I doubt very much its the Turbo itself. As for driving it, it’s always best to fix faults on your car as soon as you can. If your handy with a spanner it should take no longer than an hour or so Peter Wright from Worcestershire

Submitted: 23/08/2012 17:29:02 | ID: 86012

Lewis Mansell, England

Ford Galaxy 1998

Hi, I have a Ford Galaxy S plate 2.3 16v. Why does it hold back when it is hot at about 3,000 revs? I`ve changed the leads, plugs, coils, air flow mass meter, crank sensor, water temperature sensor, oil filter, oil fuel filter, air filter, water and it still does it and when I link it up to the diagnostics it says no fault found. Can anyone help?

Submitted: 23/08/2012 17:25:58 | ID: 86011

Tracy Lewis, Cardiff

Ford Galaxy 1996

I have a Ford Galaxy Aspen. When I select reverse gear it drives forward. What could be the problem?

Try changing your gear lever bushes John from England

Submitted: 21/08/2012 14:45:52 | ID: 88750

John Smith, Essex

Ford Galaxy 2004

The manual says it is normal for a small patch of water to form under my Ford Galaxy when the air conditioning is in operation. Whereabouts under the vehicle? I get a small pool of water on the road under the rear nearside - close but not under the exhaust tail pipe. Is this where the air con drains or is it likely to be something else? Regards. (ghia)

The aircon normally drains at the rear of the engine compartment onto the road. The water at the rear is most probably exhaust condensation draining from the rear silencer through a small drain hole Bob Atkin from England

This happened on mine, it was the rear heater hose leaking. Easy to fix using 21mm heater hose from Halfords. There are 2 hoses one above the other. Best to do both. Eventually if you leave it to leak the expansion tank will empty and the car won’t start Neal Edwards from Buckinghamshire

Submitted: 21/08/2012 12:42:35 | ID: 85723

Carl, Staffordshire

Ford Galaxy 2005

I can`t get the check brake pads warning off the dashboard of my Ford Galaxy even though I have fitted new pads. Any suggestions?

You have not changed the brake pad wear sensor John Barnes from Cheshire

Submitted: 21/08/2012 09:24:58 | ID: 75842

Sarah Cole, Essex

Ford Galaxy 1999

The air con compressor on my mk 1 Ford Galaxy has packed up. Rather than replacing the compressor - an expensive job - I have read that I can remove the compressor and put a smaller aux belt in. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of this? (glx)

Submitted: 20/08/2012 16:04:32 | ID: 85370

Azhar Butt, England

Ford Galaxy 2008

I need to know where is the pollen filter located in my Ford Galaxy tdci 2008?

On the left hand side under the glove box you will find the fuse box. In the left side of the fuse box is the pollen filter case. You will have to lower the fuse box from it`s front clip. The pollen filter case has got a few screws to take it from Hampshire

Submitted: 20/08/2012 15:51:29 | ID: 75840

Gregg Kidd, Aberdeenshire

Ford Galaxy 2005

My Ford Galaxy temp & fuel gauges are very erratic ie they go up & down all the time. I also noticed at the same time as this happened the ABS & the handbrake warning lights came on. It also appears that the indicators are now not working but the hazards are.

Fuse 3 had blown. Think it was due to the interior light switch being broken. Removed and replaced switch and fuse all OK now Gregg from Aberdeenshire

Eventually found out that the "Aircon switch" was short circuit Gregg Kidd from Aberdeenshire

Submitted: 16/08/2012 16:58:41 | ID: 85145

Michael, London

Ford Galaxy 2003

How do I check the max and min level of the windscreen fluid in my Ford Galaxy?

Submitted: 16/08/2012 16:57:44 | ID: 85165

Janet, Essex

Ford Galaxy 2003

Could anyone tell me how to disconnect the alarm on my Galaxy? I recently purchased a puppy and when I lock the car, she moves inside and sets the alarm of. Thank you.

Hi.The alarm can be switched off when locking the car either by using the remote or normal locking. When you lock the car, press the lock button again within 1 second. The car will stay locked but the alarm will be disarmed. Same with the key - turn once to lock, back to the middle and turn it once more within 1 second. You will know it`s worked as the doors won’t open but the flashing red led on the driver`s door by the window, or if sited by the clock, will stop flashing. It takes a bit of practice to get the timing right but you should be able to lock the door and disable the alarm Sparkyalan from Kent

Submitted: 16/08/2012 15:55:07 | ID: 85097

Gee Singh, Essex

Ford Galaxy 2001

Hi. I have a Ford Galaxy 2.3 petrol, the right hand indicator front and rear have stopped working, the left side works no problem. I removed the steering wheel and changed the arms, this has not resolved the issue, can anyone help me with this?

Submitted: 16/08/2012 10:01:52 | ID: 85096

Patrick Carden, England

Ford Galaxy 1999

We have a Ford Galaxy 2.3 Ghia 1999. The problem we are having is the engine seems to be running only on two cylinders. We have put new spark plugs in and it is still doing the same thing. Can you help with any ideas of what it can be? Thanks.

I had the same problem. It turned out to be the coil pack which can be easily replaced. If the problem still exists after replacing the coil pack it is most likely to be the ecu failing. A coil failure can sometimes take out the ecu at the same time David Cresswell from County Down

Submitted: 14/08/2012 16:35:23 | ID: 75547

Gwen Young, Somerset

Ford Galaxy 2006

I have a 2006 Ford Galaxy and there is a small black rubber stopper in the bottom left corner of the drivers door enclosure. Can anyone tell me what it is the called and what is its function?

The ’small rubber stopper’ is the combined door open switch and the interior light switch as your car is reasonably modern - it’s all done through a controlling module the switch operates with the door open. Interior light comes on.... dashboard warning light comes on or if you have a higher spec model than mine on the lcd display ’front right door open’ can be seen... Hope this helps David Green from Staffordshire

Submitted: 14/08/2012 14:41:48 | ID: 75531

Ashley Vickers, England

Ford Galaxy 1998

On my Ford Galaxy I recently started getting a loss of power occasionally over about 2100 revs. I took it to a mechanic who checked the turbo and changed the fuel filter and found some error codes in the engine management system. However I still have the reduced power problem but now it’s most of the time. Some times the power will suddenly cut in again and then disappear. It is most noticeable when accelerating as soon as you get to 2100 revs the power drops off badly. The power rarely cuts in when in 4th or 5th gear. It really struggles up long hills on the motorway which it used to fly up! Any ideas what could be wrong? (1.9TDi)

Sounds like air mass flow meter has packed up. Common problem on these Steve Furniss from Denbighshire

Submitted: 08/08/2012 09:53:54 | ID: 72843

Mads Bjerre-Petersen, Denmark

Ford Galaxy 2008

I have many starting problems with my Ford Galaxy after refilling the diesel tank once it has been running almost empty. What can the problem be when it simply refuses to start again after refilling? (2.2 TDCi)

Submitted: 30/07/2012 12:46:28 | ID: 88445

Kenneth Murray, County Down

Ford Galaxy 2008

Hi. The rear nearside door of my Ford Galaxy will not lock when the remote is pressed to lock the car. All other doors lock. I have to lock this door manually. What is causing this? How much will it cost to fix? (2.0 tdci 140PS)

I have had the same problem in the past, if you check the wiring loom coming out of the door and going in to the body you will find some of the wires have broken. To fix just undo the plastice sleeve and solder the wires back they are all colour coded Tariq Hussain from England

Submitted: 26/07/2012 12:59:58 | ID: 88293

Mohd Usman, England

Ford Galaxy 2009

I have changed the timing belt and clutch of my Ford Galaxy and now the steering is very tight. It`s getting soft when driving. Any ideas? (Zetec)

Submitted: 13/07/2012 12:09:45 | ID: 85634

Derek Simpson, England

Ford Galaxy 2004

Can anyone tell me the location of oil and fuel filters on a Ford Galaxy 1.9 tdi 2004?

Submitted: 12/07/2012 12:28:05 | ID: 86267

Abdul Rahman Chaudhry, England

Ford Galaxy 2008

Hi. I have a problem with my Ford Galaxy tdci 2008. When the vehicle is at high temperature the engine does not start. I was told the engine control unit is broken. Any ideas?

Submitted: 12/07/2012 12:05:37 | ID: 86232

Andi Holden, Yorkshire

Ford Galaxy 2001

I have a Ford Galaxy Zetec 2001 automatic which I find hard to start. When it does start just for a few seconds it sounds like a tank or like there is a hole in the exhaust, that’s the only way to explain it. It has recently had a service and a new starter motor. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 02/07/2012 15:51:36 | ID: 81051

Ben Prigent, England

Ford Galaxy 1997

I have an issue with my 97 Ford Galaxy 2.0 petrol. Once I`m in a gear I can have my foot right down and the car is struggling to pull away, but once it hits 4000 revs the power kicks in and the car goes back to normal. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

Disconnect your battery for 15 minutes which will in turn reset the car`s ECU and you will have that power back Allan Rezamand from England

Submitted: 02/07/2012 11:36:59 | ID: 88892

Steve, England

Ford Galaxy 2003

I changed the bulb in the glove box of my Ford Galaxy but it blew a fuse and now my lights inside don’t work. I put a new one in but it`s blown straight away. Can anyone please help?

Submitted: 02/07/2012 09:59:25 | ID: 88869

Bill Britton, West Lothian (Linlithgowshire)

Ford Galaxy 2004

When the fan on my Ford Galaxy is switched on only hot air comes out, although the temperature control is at cold. Also the air flow does not increase when switching the fan to a higher setting, but the fan is running faster as the fan control is increased. It’s as if a flap is not opening for the heat control as well as a flap not opening for the air flow from the vents. Does anyone know what is causing this? (2.1 diesel)

Submitted: 28/06/2012 14:22:31 | ID: 88638

Joanne Hurst, England

Ford Galaxy 1999

I have a Ford Galaxy which is having problems going into gear, it feels like the pins are too close. Can anybody help?

Submitted: 26/06/2012 17:03:23 | ID: 88189

Toms, Latvia

Ford Galaxy 1999

Hello. I have a Ford Galaxy 2.3i 1999 DOHC (engine type Y5B). There is a problem with the handbrake display light which is lit up all of the time. I tried to disconnect the switch which is near to the handbrake but the light is still lit up. If the switch is disconnected then it means there is no signal when I use the handbrake. I have also cleaned the cork where the oil has been filled. Are there any other solutions or does anybody else have this kind of problem? I also have another problem with overheating,. In the summer it reaches critical zone and the fan is working all of the time. Can anybody help me with these problems please? (2.3i)

Check brake fluid Scott Thorley from England

Submitted: 26/06/2012 10:13:18 | ID: 88247

Andrew Cooper, Somerset

Ford Galaxy 2008

How much will it cost to fit a water pump for a 2008 Ford Galaxy? (Diesel)

Submitted: 25/06/2012 09:24:56 | ID: 74164

Michael Lynch, Ireland

Ford Galaxy 2003

Hi. My problem is starting my Ford Galaxy from cold. It will always start but coughs out thick smoke and appears to be firing on only two cylinders. I replaced the glow plugs but it has not made any difference. Once the engine heats up, literally within five miinutes, then the engine runs perfectly for the whole day. Any ideas? (1.9 tdi Zetec 115)

I have a Galaxy Ghia 2004 1.9 TDI. The car had a problem on start up in the cold, where lots of smoke was produced, or when I pulled up at roundabouts and junctions. Turns out it was my Auxillery Heater (that heats the back of the car) burning diesel. It looked like my car was on fire, the smoke was that bad. I did my own research and found this to be a fairly common problem with this model. The advice was to disconnect the Aux heater, or replace it (was quoted £1000 to replace). Ford garage would not disconect the Aux heater as they said it would have a knock on effect? So replaced my Glow Plugs instead (£150). This did not solve the problem. Took it back to garage and other lad from another garage heard my problem, got under the car and disconected my Auxillery Heater (as this is what is normally done at his garage) and in 2 minutes job done! 4 years later I have had no problems at all Clair Prout from Oxfordshire

Submitted: 21/06/2012 11:43:28 | ID: 87942

Joe Hogan, Lancashire

Ford Galaxy 2000

Hi. I am trying to get the lights to work on the dashboard of my Ford Galaxy so that I can see my speed instead of pressing my phone to see what speed I am doing. I have looked at the fuses and all seems fine. Will it be a bulb and if so how do you get to it? Many thanks.

Hi Joe I had the same problem with my 1997 Aspen.I am not 100% sure that the 2000 model is the same but it could be the bulbs. There are two screws at the top of the trim that goes round the front of the cluster. Ease the trim towards you using a flat head screw driver to get it started. Once this is removed undo the two screws holding the cluster on. Carefully ease the left hand side out so that you can disconnect the cluster. You then have to ease the whole cluster unit out to the left hand side of the steering wheel (move the wheel to its lowest point and pull the wheel forwards. You willl then see the grey bulb holders. Change whatever bulbs you want using long nosed pliers to get the holders out if needed. Retrace your steps to put it back together. Sounds a big job but it’s not, it took me about 15 mins to do. Hope this helps Des Taylor from Lanarkshire.

Submitted: 18/06/2012 11:00:51 | ID: 87828

Neil Wattis, Gwynedd

Ford Galaxy 2003

When I start my Ford Galaxy the cooling fan is coming on straight away even when it`s cold. Is there a fix for this? I would be very grateful for any suggestions. (Zetec tdi)

Submitted: 18/06/2012 09:38:47 | ID: 87216

Andi Holden, England

Ford Galaxy 2001

Can anyone help? I have a Ford Galaxy Zetec 16v automatic 2.3 2001 which I find hard to start, especially when it`s been standing overnight. When it does start for a few seconds it sounds as if the exhaust has a hole in it, that’s the only way to describe it. I`ve just had it serviced and a new starter motor fitted. Any ideas? Thanks.

Submitted: 11/06/2012 10:30:04 | ID: 86948

Mike Childs, England

Ford Galaxy 2005

How do I check the level of automatic gear box fluid in my Ford Galaxy, as it will not go into reverse unless the engine is warm?

I have exactly the same problem with my 04 galaxy , can you let me know if you have found the cause. cheers Mike Bell Mike Bell from Cheshire

Submitted: 07/06/2012 09:21:15 | ID: 71252

Matti Natri, Finland

Ford Galaxy 1999

My Ford Galaxy is a Ghia 1999 model 2.3 motor. When I start my car or put the electrics on at the same time the front wipers start running for about 7-12 minutes and then stop. What is causing this problem?

Submitted: 31/05/2012 10:13:12 | ID: 85897

John Boucher, Dorset

Ford Galaxy 2003

Is it common when recharging gas on the air conditioning of a Ford Galaxy for pipes to blow off once pressurised? My garage state it is and that they are doing it to the correct pressures. Any ideas?

Submitted: 29/05/2012 15:10:05 | ID: 85016

Phillip Warne, England

Ford Galaxy 1998

My Ford Galaxy has petrol in the airfilter and the temperature light gauge is coming on. Can anyone help? Thanks. (petrol)

Submitted: 29/05/2012 09:58:22 | ID: 85851