FORD GALAXY questions and answers: Page 14

Ford Galaxy

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD GALAXY models. Help and advice on everything FORD GALAXY. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD GALAXY questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Ian McLaven, Warwickshire

Ford Galaxy 1999

I have a Ford Galaxy and when I turned my ignition on this morning a buzzer / beep sounded as I started the engine, then it went off. Can anybody tell me what this may mean? Many thanks.

Submitted: 20/01/2012 14:22:14 | ID: 72453

John Hitchman, Derbyshire

Ford Galaxy 2002

Does anyone know if the aircon pipes on a Ford Galaxy Ghia petrol will fit a Ford Galaxy diesel? Many thanks.

Submitted: 19/01/2012 13:50:12 | ID: 72138

Richard Wood, Leicestershire

Ford Galaxy 1997

Hi all, the front L/H & R/H windscreen heaters are not working, and control buttons are not lighting up. Looked in my Haynes manual to find the relay and fuses are in the central junction box. Only problem is, I can’t find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Submitted: 16/01/2012 13:52:11 | ID: 83371

Mick, Ireland

Ford Galaxy 2007

Does anyone know where the pollen filter is located on a 2007 Ford Galaxy?

Hi, you will find the pollen filter in the passenger footwell. Remove the trim to the heater side and you will have to drop the fuse box down from memory. You will see a rectangle box sitting on its side with three or four screws in it, and the filter is in there Brian from County Down

Submitted: 10/01/2012 11:57:20 | ID: 70328

Richard Gell, Hampshire

Ford Galaxy 2007

The small cable in the hand brake lever connecting the release button to the ratchet has broken. I have been trying to find a replacement but only seem to be able to buy from Ford - the whole hand brake assembly for £158+ fitting costs. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement cable from or how to make an effective repair? (2-litre tdci Zetec)

Google ’24/7 spares’ Martin Jones from Essex

I have had the same problem. Looks like a design fault. Upto press I have not been able to find any other solution than to buy a new mechanism Paul Batchelor from Lancashire

I'm looking for one myself mate and have found a seller for them on eBay for £39. Seller is admar1975 James Gilby from Kent

Submitted: 09/01/2012 13:43:06 | ID: 68343

Mark, London

Ford Galaxy 2007

Does the 2007 Ford Galaxy 1800 diesel have a timing belt or chain? And at what mileage do they need changing?

Timing belt change is every 10 years or 125,000 lindsay pearce from Somerset

Submitted: 09/01/2012 08:38:36 | ID: 84831

David Peters, Lincolnshire

Ford Galaxy 2003

My wipers, washers, fan for heater, head lights and main beam have just stopped. I tried looking at the fuse panel but could not get the plastic cover off. This is the panel on the drivers side on the right side of the steering wheel. Can anyone tell me how to access the fuses or could it be something else. Thank you in advance.

The fuse panel cover does not come off, it just hinges downwards - and inside the cover when open you will see the fuse position diagram Alan Smith from Suffolk

Submitted: 30/12/2011 16:29:41 | ID: 82928

Elve Brown, England

Ford Galaxy 2001

I have Ford Galaxy 2.3 x reg with triptronic gearbox. It comes out of fourth gear down to third when driving at over fifty mph. Any ideas on what the problem/solution is?

Submitted: 28/12/2011 22:51:50 | ID: 82892

Jen, Wales

Ford Galaxy 1996

What might make the pressure plate on a Ford Galaxy break into 4 pieces?

Submitted: 28/12/2011 22:10:59 | ID: 82877

Steve Lawrence, Warwickshire

Ford Galaxy 2000

The glow plug light on my Ford Galaxy is not coming on. So could you please tell me where the relay is for them? Many thanks.

Submitted: 14/12/2011 09:11:45 | ID: 80638

Mark Armstrong, England

Ford Galaxy 1998

I have lost the use of 5th and reverse gears on my Ford Galaxy. When I try 5th gear it goes into 3rd gear and when I try reverse it seems to go into 4th. Going from 1st to 4th gear not a problem, it’s when you push the stick right over to right to select 5th and reverse gears that it does not select. I think it is probably a selector cable that has come loose but I do not know where to locate it. Any ideas?

Hi Mark, I had this problem while on holiday. I could only get 3rd and 4th. If you reach over the back of the battery and feel around under the battery plate, you’ll find two selector cables. Get someone to play around with the gear stick, to help you feel for them. They fit on a box on top of the gearbox. With me, one of the selector cables had popped off, just push back on to the nipple. You may find that it keeps popping out. If you find it’s the same with yourself, you will need to remove the battery and plate. You will want to place a jack under engine to take weight because when I took four bolts out, the engine dropped slightly. No damage, just jacked it up to catch bolts. It’s a big job to replace these cables. I’ve still not got round to it after six months. After pushing the cable on, I tied it with a cable tie. Still working fine. Good luck Hugh McFadden from Scotland

Submitted: 14/12/2011 09:05:19 | ID: 80836

Mark Canahm, Essex

Ford Galaxy 2006

Hi. I have a Galaxy Ghia 2006 old shape. It has the sat nav stereo and also has a DVD player. I have just brought a 6 CD changer I cannot find the plug to connect. I thought it was in the boot. Should the wiring be in the car? Or perhaps somewhere else? Or do they some times not put them in the wiring loom? Can any one help?

Submitted: 13/12/2011 08:39:42 | ID: 80835

Michelle, United States of America

Ford Galaxy 2000

The car starts fine but then has a variety of problems that started out as random but have gotten MUCH worse in the last few days. The speedometer, fuel gauge, and heat gauge will jump from bottom to top, stick, drop back down to the bottom, turn off completely, ding, come back on, work normally, and do it all over again in no particular order. The tripometer and odometer screen will either light up while staying blank, or turn off completely. Once in a while though it will work. Speakers in the car crackle and pop like they have gone bad (though they haven’t) and then start to work normally again. Also, I’ve noticed that when my headlights are on they seem to pulse in brightness with the car. The inside light and dashboard lights also seem to be pulsing. Car has also started stalling out, but only when put into reverse (and usually only when attempting to parallel park) though I feel like this is a separate problem and I was told that may be the torque converter. All in all it’s been interesting driving lately (and I’ve been avoiding it as much as possible) The car has a brand new battery so I know it’s not that. . . But other than that anything else if fair game? Any ideas?

Submitted: 06/12/2011 11:58:22 | ID: 79302

Ricky Stephenson, Kent

Ford Galaxy 1999

Hi there, can anyone help? When I turn on the heating I get a horrible screeching noise and the car tries to die. It has already snapped the aux belt, which I have now replaced. Does anyone know what it could be? Also, where can I find the fuse for the front cigarette lighter? Thanks. (2.3 Ghia X)

Sounds like one of the pulleys has seized, remove belt and see if you can manually turn aircon compressor, tensioner pulley etc Martin Jones from Essex

Submitted: 05/12/2011 13:43:57 | ID: 76123

Graham Palmer, Yorkshire

Ford Galaxy 2000

Hi, could anybody tell why my Ford Galaxy’s temperature gauge does not go as high as it used to, even though the interior still gets as warm? Thank you.

1. Faulty Gauge 2. Faulty Coolant Temperature Sensor 2. Faulty Thermostat (Sticking Open) 4. Any Combination of the above Suddenend from England

Submitted: 02/12/2011 09:57:14 | ID: 75953

Jason Sheppard, Middlesex

Ford Galaxy 1996

Hi, I am having problems with my auto gear box. When (D) Drive is selected, the car will not move on its own, it takes a lot of revs to get it moving. When it does move it is very jerky and feels like it engages and disengages out of gear. Reverse on the car woks fine though... Would the cause be low gear box oil? If that’s the case therein lies my second problem. I cannot locate the gear box oil filler. I’ve looked all round the engine bay but cant see it. Should there be a dipstick for the gear box oil? Do I need to remove engine components to get to the G/B filler cap? Any help will be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance. (2.8 v6)

I’ve got the same problem Jason... I think it is the gear box oil and I took it to the garage. They weren’t sure and couldn’t find the dipstick either. The oil is very pricy so they only put 1 litre in @ £25 per litre. It seemed a bit improved for a while and now it’s really jerky again so think I’m going to bite the bullet and put quite a bit more in Sonja Nash from England

Submitted: 02/12/2011 09:54:55 | ID: 75940

Kev Worrall, Lancashire

Ford Galaxy 2000

Do you have to take out the headlight to replace the side light bulb on a 2000 Ford Galaxy?

No, in the wheel arch moulding is a slide down flap, pull that down and that’s where you get to the sidelight and indicator bulbs----- just! Martin Jones from Essex

Submitted: 30/11/2011 15:40:44 | ID: 75999

Leanne Bolton, England

Ford Galaxy 1999

Recently, on my Ford Galaxy, the fuse went for the reverse lights and now it has been replaced. The reverse lights still won’t come on. Does anybody know where I would find the trip switch?

It’ll be the reversing light switch located in the gearbox, look underneath and you should see it Martin Jones from Essex

Submitted: 30/11/2011 10:48:42 | ID: 76004

Vincent McClafferty, Kent

Ford Galaxy 1996

Can anyone please help me? I am trying to locate the fuse for the cigarette lighter on my Ford Galaxy 2.3-litre Ghia model. I have looked at the fuse box under the drivers right hand side panel, it does not show a fuse for the lighter plus the rear lighters are not working either which are located on the rear passenger side box panel. Any ideas please? Plus the airbag light stays on - how can I get to reset it without getting another mortgage. Many thanks, I’m desperate for your answers.

Submitted: 24/11/2011 11:43:21 | ID: 74517

Jayne, Scotland

Ford Galaxy 2004

I have a Ford Galaxy turbo diesel which has a smell of burning and then car would not start. No gauges on the dashboard either. When opening the bonnet I found that the black box situated next to and connected to the battery had melted. What is this and the cost of repair? Can anyone give me advice please?

Fuse box most likely and very expensive unless you can get one from the scrappy. Should be looking to see what caused this though as they do not just "melt" for no reason James from Berkshire

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ford-Galaxy-MK2-Fuse-Box-2000-2006-/270805750743?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0d47d3d7 Mine has melted too. I have a 2.3 petrol X reg, had a new one fitted at garage along with new battery, new alternator and the fusebox has had a meltdown again! Dunno why it keeps happening Kev Worrall from Lancashire

I had a ’02 Galaxy, the fuse box melted, I got one from the dealers for £25.00 and watched the mechanic fit it. It happened again about 6 months later, bought a new one and fitted it myself, only took 15mins Que Shah from Yorkshire

Submitted: 22/11/2011 08:23:12 | ID: 73851

Ben Strong, England

Ford Galaxy 2000

Hi all! My T reg Ford Galaxy is being a pain. I got out off the car, locked the doors manually and the key and fob fell to bits. So I put it all back together and all seemed fine. I unlocked the car with the key fob and all the doors unlocked as normal. I then went to start the car, as you do, and the dash lights came on as normal but when I then went to turn the key at the final third to kick engine into life... nothing happened apart from the little light by my doorlock on the drivers door started flashing. Any ideas as my car is now stuck 3 miles away, outside a shop.

The immobiliser is not recognising the key Martin Jones from Essex

In the key fob, there is a little black chip, now where your car key fell apart that’s where it is. Go back and scan the area where your key fell, problem solved Tom Harbo from England

Submitted: 08/11/2011 08:05:14 | ID: 69133

Gayle Roles, Scotland

Ford Galaxy 2006

On my 1.9-litre Ford Galaxy Zetec, the hazard lights come on if I try to open electric windows on the driver’s door, or sometimes when I open the door, or if I turn on the headlights, not every time but randomly. My alternator workshop warning sign appeared on the dashboard 2 weeks before any of these problems occurred and has never shown up again, totally random. I never had a problem before and I have owned the car from new, serviced it annually. Please help, I have cleaned the battery points and checked all fuses!

Same problem. Snapped electric wire in rear passenger door Joanne Roche from Newport

Submitted: 07/11/2011 10:44:03 | ID: 69040

Beau Garratt, Essex

Ford Galaxy 2001

Hi, I recently bought a Ford Galaxy and the next day my instrument cluster went - all of it, no rev counter, fuel, speedo, temp or lights. So I tried to change them but this seems like hard work but I think that I may have a relay gone. I don’t know what to do - could someone help? Thanks!

Hi there, I have a Ford Focus (2002) and it happened to me - apparently a common Ford fault and it’s the whole unit that needs replaced. Ford electrical faults seem to be very common these days - they are worse than the Fiats/Lancias/Alphas of the 1980s and I’ve had a Fiat! I would still check all fuses/relays but I expect it’s terminal. The dealer tried to fix it but the fault returned and got worse before not working. The dealer replaced the whole unit and then like a true dealer idiot did not write down the miles when they changed it, so had to get them to make an amendment so that it did not look dodgy as the miles no longer correspond with the registration document. Hope this helps Mal from Angus (Forfarshire)

Go on the net and call up a firm called BBA Reman, they specialise in exchange dashboards Martin Jones from Essex

Submitted: 07/11/2011 10:00:54 | ID: 69067

Steven Drury, Cheshire

Ford Galaxy 2006

I have 2 questions that I hope you can help with: 1) When does the cam belt need replacing on a Ford Galaxy Ghia TDi? The car has done 64,000 miles? 2) How do you change the front side light bulb? Thanks in advance.

Now on that mileage. Fords recommend every 40,000miles. Re: your sidelight, look under wheel arch and there is a plastic cover that slides down to access sidelight and indicator bulbs, just! Martin Jones from Essex

Submitted: 07/11/2011 08:40:49 | ID: 84159

Suzan Deegan, Lancashire

Ford Galaxy 2003

My reverse lights stay on, even when I am not in reverse. Does anyone know how why this happens and how it can be fixed?

Sounds like a faulty reversing light switch Martin Jones from Essex

Submitted: 03/11/2011 10:20:16 | ID: 82815

Lester Vaughan, Hertfordshire

Ford Galaxy 2007

Where can I find a replacement front drivers door for a Ford Galaxy, as ours was badly damaged by a hit and run?

I have a problem with my egr valve. Can I drive my car? There’s some smoke Abdul Hersi from England

Go online to 24/7 spares Martin Jones from Essex

Submitted: 26/10/2011 09:22:41 | ID: 83921

Dean Hill, Warwickshire

Ford Galaxy 1999

Hi, can you tell me where the remote sensor unit is on a 1999 Ford Galaxy 2.3-litre Ghia X Auto as I can’t get my remote key to open and lock the car. The battery on the remote is a new one - can somebody please help?

Submitted: 26/10/2011 08:30:23 | ID: 83913

Shashikant Patel, London

Ford Galaxy 2003

My Ford Galaxy is losing power when I drive up hills, and also sometimes the car stalls. I have taken the car to five different garages to find out what’s wrong yet the same thing is happening. Does anyone have any ideas?

The chances are there is a problem with the Idle Speed Sensor/valve, or the throttle body is clogged with carbon. Have you checked the air filter, and all connecting pipes? Anything that restricts air intake could have a similar effect Joe Collins from England

Submitted: 20/10/2011 15:16:48 | ID: 83006

James Loney, Cheshire

Ford Galaxy 1997

My 1997 Ford Galaxy will not start.... My battery is fine, my starter motor is fine but when I turn key nothing happens, it just clicks, dials (speedometer and rev counter) do a sweep left to right and the digital milometer reads 8888888, goes blank for a few seconds then after a few seconds all readouts go back to normal until I try the ignition. I think it could be an ignition relay problem but don’t know where to find it? Can anyone help?

Is it the starter solenoid clicking? If so, that normally points to a flat battery or starter motor, which will upset the dash dials & the wipers will possibly attempt to operate. If the battery & s/motor are okay, check that all leads (especially the earth leads) are tight Martin Jones from Essex

Submitted: 20/10/2011 09:29:06 | ID: 82980

Dean Spurgeon, England

Ford Galaxy 2007

After how many miles do you need to change a timing belt, water pump, oil, air, pollen, fuel filter on a Ford Galaxy 1.8 diesel please?

The water pump should only need changing in the event of damage/leaking. Air, oil, fuel and pollen filters should be changed in an annual service, probably with an engine flush and oil change. Timing belts are usually good for 70,000 miles or so, cautious would change between 50 and 60. For a cheaper and VERY effective, safe method of engine cleaning search for BG44K online, there is a diesel equivilent. Really does what it says on the tin Joe Collins from England

Submitted: 19/10/2011 09:04:08 | ID: 82681

Dean Archer, Hertfordshire

Ford Galaxy 2005

My driver side rear lights aren’t working, indicator and brake lights work. I have swapped the bulbs to check, they’re not broken and all okay. Is there a separate fuse? Do you know the fuse number? I do not have a manual.

Fuses control o/s and n/side, is the drivers front sidelight working? If it is then you know for sure, the problem lies at rear lamp, check for power to multi-plug to rear lamp. If there is, try a bulb holder or swap with other side to see if it works Martin Jones from Essex

Submitted: 12/10/2011 11:01:41 | ID: 82462

Sarah Pope, Leicestershire

Ford Galaxy 2003

Where exactly is the battery located in the Ford Galaxy? I’ve looked under the bonnet but it’s not there. Help?

Should be under the bonnet, nearside under plastic cover Martin Jones from Essex

Submitted: 07/10/2011 10:11:07 | ID: 68624

Paul Lees, London

Ford Galaxy 2002

Where is the gearbox oil dipstick located?

Submitted: 16/09/2011 08:49:54 | ID: 78203

Nick Allen, Hampshire

Ford Galaxy 2009

I’m getting a tapping sound between 1800/2000rpm. I’ve been told it’s my injectors. Is it dangerous to still drive the car long distances as I’m a taxi driver? The car has done 163,000 miles.

I doubt it’s the injectors as they are operating the whole time the engine is running, sounds more like a noisy tappet Martin Jones from Essex

Dangerous? The modern engine is unlikely to explode! Where’s the danger? It may just stop! Get a proper diagnosis of probably nothing wrong. Things tend to wear a bit after 163k miles. In my experience, noisy engines can run for an exceedingly long mileage. If that is your worry, you should probably not be running your taxi service in a car with 163k miles. I assume it passed the PSV Test Bram van Kampen from County Down

Hi Nick. Would agree with other answer, probably a noisy hydraulic lifter (tappet) - VW forums have loads of instances of these being noisy at high mileages - the other guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about, not using a car with 163K on clock for a taxi - I’m a chauffeur and my BMW 520d has done 97k miles (mostly motorway, admittedly) in first 12months of me having it! My previous Volvo S80 D5 did 308K in 3 years on original engine, gearbox and clutch (!). Would be worth getting all of them changed or for a cheaper alternative, buy some Ametech Engine Restore (Google it) for about £45.00 for 1 litre, do an oil and filter change, add the amount they recommend, and then just drive... you’ll probably get 2 or 3 oil changes out of the 1 litre can. Stuff works, that’s all I can say... Neil Spiby from Leicestershire

Submitted: 15/09/2011 10:33:59 | ID: 78173

Bob Hughes, Yorkshire

Ford Galaxy 2002

The light came on to say change brake pads, I did that but it won’t go into park and the brake lights don’t work. Bulbs and fuses are okay. Can anyone help please?

Submitted: 02/09/2011 09:47:14 | ID: 77906

Ken Robson, Yorkshire

Ford Galaxy 1996

Hi, I took my battery off the car for about a week and when I put it back on, the airbag light stays on. Why?

Submitted: 30/08/2011 09:58:10 | ID: 77768

Andrew Deeley, Essex

Ford Galaxy 1995

We’ve had a similar brake problem to a previous caller in that the brake pedal goes to the floor with a near total loss of stopping power. Two garages have checked the car saying it’s behaving perfectly and didn’t fail on them, and as the fault is intermittent, they are mystified as to the cause. It’s happened four times now. Can’t chance another but don’t want to give in to the scrapman. Any ideas? Thanks. (Galaxy 2.8v6 auto)

Possible faulty brake master cylinder Martin Jones from Essex

Yeah, intermittent loss of pedal is usually master cylinder Steve Watty from Staffordshire

Submitted: 28/07/2011 15:36:05 | ID: 68744

Steve Holmes, Yorkshire

Ford Galaxy 1998

Hi there, I have just bought a Galaxy and the radiator cooling fan is on all the time. Even when I first switch on the ignition on start up, the cooling fan runs, any ideas? Many thanks.

If the air con is switched on, the fans will run as well Martin Jones from Essex

Sounds like the relay if it comes on with the ignition Toby Lerone from Cambridgeshire

Replace the temperature sensor switch and check the connector also. If it’s disconnected, the fan will switch on immediately George Abraham from India

Submitted: 27/07/2011 08:56:43 | ID: 68973

Enrico Tenaglia, Kent

Ford Galaxy 1996

My Galaxy will not start unless I leave the ignition on for a little while. I changed the fuel pump relay but still won’t start. After 20 minutes, it starts. I would like to know if anybody knows what the problem is. Thanks.

Another common problem with the Galaxy is the immobilser relay whereby the vehicle turns over but will not start, I know two people who have this problem Martin Jones from Essex

Submitted: 04/07/2011 10:28:19 | ID: 68830

Tony White, Essex

Ford Galaxy 2006

I have a Ford Galaxy 2.0L Ghia petrol, does it have a timing belt or chain? If it has a belt, at what mileage should it be renewed? Thank you.

It has a chain Martin Jones from Essex