Honda Accord consumer car reviews and road tests

Honda Accord

Honda Accord consumer reviews by year of make: 1998  1999  2000  2001  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2010  2011

Honda Accord consumer car reviews

Stephen Snape , Staffordshire

Honda Accord ACCORD COUPE 1998 - 2001

I bought this car. 2.0 se hatchback 2002 with 77000 miles on the clock. I paid £700.00 for it ..put a clutch in it and serviced it.That was 2 years ago. Its without doubt the most astute purchase of a vehicle I've ever made .Im 53 years old and have owned jags..audis..volkswagens and a plethora of other vehicles. .. This 13 year old honda is all round probably the best of the lot...reliable. .comfy and awsome on fuel. Next car will have to be another honda. Brilliant vehicle

Submitted: 2015-11-16 | ID: 123599

John Drake, England

Honda Accord 2004

Amazing car; smooth, solid, safe , reliable, good looking, economical and individual. Stands out from the crowd. Will keep until it dies.

Submitted: 2012-11-25 | ID: 40891

Mick, County Armagh

Honda Accord 1999

Great car, everything worked brilliant. Full black leather.

Submitted: 2012-08-06 | ID: 40889

Chris Nowakowski, Surrey

Honda Accord 2005

I bought this real gem of a car 4 years ago and until this month it did everything it says in all the excellent reviews. OK, the service bill this year was high for a 70k service, and four new discs (all badly worn) and pads added another £500 to the bill (Honda dealers rates, not mates’ rates!!). But collecting the car from service I started up and the engine sounded as if someone had left a garden shovel inside the engine block! The Honda mechanics were baffled, but a call to Swindon reveals - apparently - the noise is due to a worn "dual mass flywheel". I am not convinced because a busted flywheel would give permanent noise at idling, whereas the noise has now gone. The repair cost. estimate...£2000. Will take the car to mate who runs a car repair business for a second opinion and a much cheaper repair if a new flywheel and clutch are needed. Shame, because otherwise these are great cars - but the "legendary Honda engineering reliability" maybe edging towards British Leyland QA standards... Hope not.

Submitted: 2012-04-21 | ID: 40890

Vincent, London

Honda Accord 2007

I love Hondas. It has to be said, because it may influence my comments! I have owned a Legend Coupe V6 2.7 Manual and an Accord Coupe V6 3.0 Auto. Going for a smaller engine was in part an attempt at getting better fuel economy, and I get that. Almost 43 mpg on a 1 hour motorway run, while retaining enough power for some enjoyable mountain driving. That’s also because this car, while still powerful (almost as much as the 3.0 V6!), inspires quiet cruising with the Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keep Assist. Very relaxing, only a hush of wind noise, although road noise as always in the UK is a concern on some sections. Note that my car was purchased at almost 4 years old, from a Honda dealer, but had an unusually low mileage of 15.000 miles. Because of that it does feel a lot like a new car. An Accord with 50,000 miles may feel different, although Hondas age very well in my experience. The equipment level is stunning, the interior very well made in time-honoured Honda fashion. Nowhere near the gorgeousness of the old Legend Coupe, but a well put together car with decent to excellent quality materials. The ambience on-board is airy with enough sunlight, the only thing I regret is not having a bigger boot! It’s ok but nothing special, at 468L I believe. I tried sitting in the rear, it’s fine for two adults but would be cramped for three. I’m a musician and audio engineer, and find the standard audio system sonically amazing. A car is a very poor acoustic environment generally to start with, but the Accord gives a clear and crisp sound, and does not drown everything in an ocean of boomy bass. Can be loud too if you like that. The HPs under the rear shelf are Pioneers and I guess it’s the same all-around and I believe the head unit is made by Alpine. I was pleasantly surprised by that system. Overall, delighted with the car.

Submitted: 2011-07-08 | ID: 40888

William Starr, Guadeloupe

Honda Accord 2011

Very good for kids.

Submitted: 2011-06-20 | ID: 40882

Tony P, Cheshire

Honda Accord 2010

I have already owned the 2.4S petrol version and whilst the new diesel lacks the acceleration, the difference is negligible once you are on major roads at cruising speed. Fit out and spec is first class with so many extras coming fitted as standard. My only complaint is around the heating and in particular, the time it takes to de-mist the windscreen in winter. All in all however, a delight and as usual with Hondas, very reliable.

Submitted: 2011-05-23 | ID: 40883

Jong G, Nottinghamshire

Honda Accord 2005

Bought my trusty Accord diesel (under protest) after two BMW 5 series and two 3 series. Spent the first 12 months grumbling that I missed rear wheel drive, BMW image etc, and then I noticed that I could get from A to B at a blistering pace, with excellent fuel economy and NOTHING went wrong. years later I am (for the first time) STILL in the Accord because with 136k on the clock it’s never been in to the dealers bar servicing and is just as fast, economical and comfortable as ever. I am going to be forced to surrender it this year due to company policy but am handing it onto my brother and checking out the type S. The most underrated business car in the UK!!!

Submitted: 2011-03-27 | ID: 40884

N Hatcher, Cambridgeshire

Honda Accord 2003

This is a faultless engine with nothing but wear and tear replacements for over 5 years. It is okay for economy giving about combined avg of 30mpg when using it like labelled (sport)! Not the fastest to justify the ’sport’ tag but I am sure it will please all those coming from the hot hatches. It looks good both external and internal with some nice extras and a good stereo. Handles well on corners and has power only when using second and third gears. Personally, I’d save a little extra and get the BMW or Audi. This is a little cramped as a four door saloon competitor but mechanically superb.

Submitted: 2011-02-23 | ID: 40886

Andrew Beaumont, England

Honda Accord 2010

This is my 3rd Accord and the new model is a delight in every way, it feels like a large premium car. I am having one persistant niggle, the cabin suffers from wind noise around all the door seals, the garage have assured me this has recently been brought to Honda’s attention and when enough customers complain a recall will be effected. It’s a real nuisance and spoils an otherwise thoroughly great car. The seats are a revelation in comfort.

Submitted: 2011-01-28 | ID: 40885

Mike Jones, Gwynedd

Honda Accord 2003

First the good points: 120,000 on the clock and still a delight to drive - performance, gear change, handling, comfort, accomodation - would all gain 5 stars. Unfortunately the bad points drag down what would have been a very good car. After too many years of Ford ownership with all the negative connotations of unreliability and poor dealerships, I was really looking forward to an improvement in these areas. But: Air conditioning system required a replacement clutch under warranty and then when out of warranty the compressor seized completely, stranding my wife due to the fan belt melting. The replacement cost of the compressor and associated parts and labour would have meant a repair bill greater than the value of the car. Alloy wheels corroding - one new set under warranty - replacement set just as bad as the first. Tailgate motor replaced. Alarm main module replaced three times - alarm kept going off in heavy rain or hailstorms. Suspension bushes clunking after 50,000 miles - no, I don’t tow and the majority of miles are with one up and a laptop. New battery required after 2 years - the (non-Honda) replacementhas lasted for 5 years so not my usage at fault. Rear brake calipers, both replaced, again just outside warranty To cap it all, snooty local main dealer who believes in the invincibility of Hondas and that I’m just imagining problems. I wish these companies would tone down their advertising. This is the car that was launched with the slogan "Isn’t it nice when things just work". I don’t know, because it doesn’t "just work". They raise peoples expectations without the substance to correct their misplaced optimism.<br /><br />

I know exactly what you mean, I have an ’03, had it for 6 yrs and it has only done 54k. A great car to drive, it’s my 5th and very last Honda, nothing but bother. The build quality has fallen away dramatically. So much for the Japanese building the better car. I’ve owned Hondas with 90+k on the clock and never spent as much on them as this one - I had the 17" alloys replaced, same as you, two drivers’ door window motors, tailgate motor, suspension parts, water leak in the boot... etc etc etc. I don’t know what Honda are thinking but they won’t have me buying another. I know what you are thiking - "Why do I still have it?" Simple, it drives great and looks good, but it just drives you mad when things go wrong that you know should not happen to a Honda and your right Honda think that you have no right to complain, they think the Honda brand is perfect. Well, wake up Honda, because you are not, in fact far from it. At least its nice to know I’m not the only one that sees their faults - John G from Scotland

Submitted: 2010-11-12 | ID: 40901

Chris Moore, Switzerland

Honda Accord 2005

Reliable car with precise gearchange and steering. Good air conditioning. A pillars are large and block visibility in bends. Enough power for every day use but can feel underpowered when loaded.

Submitted: 2010-09-22 | ID: 40903

Andrew, Perthshire

Honda Accord 2010

Brilliant car to drive. It sticks to the road and grips very well in twisty corners like the proverbial ’s**t on a shovel’. Amazing fuel economy for a large powerful engine, I’ve seen figures of up to 45 mpg being returned. The auto ’box is superb, it’s extermely smooth and responsive. It works best when it’s being driven hard in the tiptronic mode, that’s where you can really exploit that amazing VTEC engine all the way up to its sky-high rev limit of 7500 rpm. It is extremely quiet when all you want do is cruise on motorways. It is so quiet in fact that you sometimes forget how fast you are actually travelling, I’ve seen the car cruising at 110-120 mph (not intentionally) with very little noise and quite a bit of power in reserve. Sixty miles per hour from a standstill comes up in 7.2 seconds. As far as I’ve read, the car can easily exceed its advertised 140 mph top speed and reach speeds of around the 145-147 mph mark (as some magazines have recorded). All-in-all, the Accord is an amazing car. It is extremely reliable with only one fault, squealing/hesitant brakes. But, this is due to extremely high milage and the car is due to be replaced at anytime. Apart from that, I’d recommend this car to anybody who is looking for a medium-sized alternative to your usual Mercs, Audis and Beemers. With the mentioned Germans, you are only buying the badge and everything that’s standard on the Accord is an extra on the German’s. Therefore, nothing can beat Japanese reliability and value for money.

Submitted: 2010-08-03 | ID: 40887

Derek Woodland, England

Honda Accord 2004

Had my accord now for nearly 5 years, very happy with it, looks great after I added 18" alloys, with Michelin sport low pro tyres. I was disappointed when it went in for a service to be told I needed new rear pads AND discs, after only 20,000 miles. Still, nothing else has gone wrong, I treat my Accord very carefully and drive my wife’s Honda Jazz most of the time in town. I have an in built Honda sat nav and also a sunroof which I enjoy. I feel this car is very reliable at all times. The rear pads and discs has been the the only thing that has needed attention in five years, so I am happy with that.

Submitted: 2009-06-11 | ID: 40893

Steve Finnerty, Hampshire

Honda Accord 2004

Ran this car for 3 years and found it good value, economical, but a bit lacking in soul! The engine was responsive and quick enough with a nice linear power delivery but still sounded like a diesel despite all the hype. Averaged 42-45 MPG, slightly disappointing but not bad considering my driving style and I found switching off the powerful aircon worth at least 2-3MPG on a long run. Had a problem with smoking on start up that was never fully resolved. If left to stand for more than a day used to emit a large puff of white smoke on start up. Suspect this was down to an oil seal in the engine but Honda never got that far into the investigation before I handed the car back. It used a couple of litres of oil between services which may have pointed to the problem although this was considered acceptable. The other issue I had was with the paint quality that was easily marked and small scratches were noticeable especially as my dark blue colour seemed quite thin which uncovered the undercoat. That said the car was 100% reliable over 70000 miles, had an excellent driving position, comfortable seats, was roomy enough for my family and well equipped with Sat-Nav, Sunroof, Leather Trim and in dash CD Changer. It handled well and was not too bad on tyres 20K for the fronts and 40K for the rears although the fronts did wear prematurely on the inside. The ride was very inconsistent sometimes good but never settled properly on the motorway. I suspect this was due to the 17" alloys fitted that greatly improve the looks but I suspect most of the development by Honda was done on the standard 16" wheels. That said the ride and handling were also noticeably better on the replacement Dunlop tyres compared with the original Bridgestone’s. All in all a stylish and reliable car with some niggly faults.

Submitted: 2009-05-29 | ID: 40892

Darren Owen, Shropshire

Honda Accord 2006

Absolute brilliant car. The 2.4 Type S is the same engine as the Civic Type R so it is a wolf in sheep’s clothing but with the comfort of an executive car. It’s just coming up to 3 years old now and never had a problem. Looking at upgrading to the new model but only because I want what’s new.

Same engine?? No it isnt - from England

Submitted: 2009-03-02 | ID: 40894

Alister Monro, Bedfordshire

Honda Accord 2004

This is one of the best cars I have owned, but perhaps not the most inspiring. It’s a big car for a 2 litre motor and true to Honda form, you have to rev it if you want to overtake or take off quickly. It is economical, quiet and comfortable and has all the bells and whistles. So far, it’s been totally reliable and the only deterioration in finish has been the alloys which have corroded quite badly. Highly recommended.

Submitted: 2009-01-07 | ID: 40905

Mark Pope, Essex

Honda Accord 2003

Without doubt the best car we have had, very responsive petrol engine with good fuel economy, fautless reliability and good interior. Although a tiny bit cramped in the back. We will be looking to get another when the time comes.

Submitted: 2008-07-08 | ID: 40897

Mark Horton, Nottinghamshire

Honda Accord 2008

This is not the cheapest car of its type but the refinement and meticulous attention to detail make light of the extra cash. Reliability is a byword of Honda’s and the performance is powerful yet quite and almost unnoticeable. Plenty of room inside with a good boot. I particularly like the Lane Keeping assistance that makes motorway driving far more relaxed. If you want performance, reliability, safety and a pleasing driving experience then the Accord offers all this and more.

Submitted: 2008-05-08 | ID: 40898

Marc, Middlesex

Honda Accord 2007

Had this car for three months now. Good points Ride is excellent Quiet as a mouse with a refined petrol engine Interior is luxurious Good stereo and lots of toys Bad points A little cramped in the back Some interior finishes not up to standard A little road roar on some surfaces Would have like bluetooth as standard (got it as extra) Overall, this is a great car, but is let down by some below par quality finishing in the interior and reduced room in the back.

Submitted: 2008-04-24 | ID: 40899

Greg Reardon, Essex

Honda Accord 2006

Great car to drive, gutsy power when needed and so smooth and quiet. I really enjoy long distance journeys in this car because it is so comfortable and the handling is very responsive - more like gliding than driving. Not the cheapest car to run but certainly not the worst and Honda are a very trustworthy make. Good size boot but it would be nice to have a touch more space in the back seat although I wouldn’t go so far as to say it feels cramped for adult passengers, maybe just snug.

Submitted: 2008-04-21 | ID: 40900

David Bagg, Somerset

Honda Accord 2005

Having owned several Honda cars over the years and always being very happy with them, when the time came to move to an estate car I had no hesitation in choosing Honda again. The Accord Tourer is very well built and has managed to offer the premium amount of space possible in a car of its size. The engine runs super smooth and for a diesel is extremely quiet. All good stuff, however, the hulking dashboard and thick pillars mean that visibility is impared at times, even with a fully adjustable drivers seat you do feel that you have to strain your neck at times to see what’s going on. For this reason the wife just plain refuses to drive it. I have got used to driving like this but because of the poor visibility and not too cheap running costs, I think I will be straying out of my Honda comfort zone when the time comes to choose a new estate car.

Submitted: 2007-11-17 | ID: 40904

John Carlton, Durham

Honda Accord 2007

More expensive than a lot of other mainstream family cars, but an excellent drive with lots of space. Nice car.

Submitted: 2007-10-26 | ID: 40896

• A response has been made to Mike Jones (12/11/2010 22:19:03)
  • A response has been made to Darren Owen (02/03/2009 09:40:51)

• "I bought a Honda accord 1990 vitesse carburator engine 2.0( F20--)has been converted into an Automatic Carborator but I suffer from the lack of speed..." (hosse, 16/02/2017 17:18:10)
  • "I have a vibration at idle, all mounts have been replaced. what could be the fault ..." (calabasaskid@sbcglobal.net, 13/08/2015 22:05:19)
  • "I have a 97 Honda Accord LX Coupe. I wouid like to know can I change out the wheel hubs from a 4x114.3 to a 4x100 hub? I am looking to buy a set of c..." (james, 20/02/2015 04:39:08)
  • "Hi. Had a reconditioned engine fitted in my Honda Accord. The car runs perfectly up to 3,200 rpm bit then goes into limp mode, every time. Can any on..." (Peter Mee, 12/12/2011 09:53:07)

Honda Accord Tourer 2011 2.2 i-DTEC EX Auto ADAS road test report

The Honda Accord Tourer is a familiar sight on British roads since arriving in its current guise in 2008. The family-sized estate certainly looks the part too, with a stylish appearance and confident stance – but it needs more than good aesthetics to win in a sector with several big fish swimming ar [...]

Honda Accord Tourer 2011 2.2 i-DTEC EX Auto ADAS road test report