Honda Civic consumer car reviews and road tests

Honda Civic

Honda Civic consumer reviews by year of make: 1998  2000  2001  2002  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012

Honda Civic consumer car reviews

COLIN WEAVERS, Norfolk

Honda Civic CIVIC DIESEL TOURER 2015

after driving Volkswagen cars ,fancied a change and bought a civic tourer to carry my fishing gear,bought new in September and what a super car,the engine is superb,only done 900miles and already up to 58mpg inside it has everything you would want,comfy ride,loads of gadgets and a superb sat nav.......should have bought one years ago

Submitted: 2016-10-22 | ID: 136156

Jim, Essex

Honda Civic CIVIC DIESEL HATCHBACK 2009 - 2010

I'll start at the engine. 2.2 diesel, 50,000 miles 4 years old. What a cracker. It will pull from standstill in 3rd gear (on level ground) 35mph in 6th gear (gentle right foot) or will fly if you're heavy with the small pedal. Have managed wheel spin at around 30mph changing motorway lanes in a jam getting into 2nd gear. Superb around town, barely needing throttle to keep up with traffic, oh so easily keeps up with motorway stuff as well and that includes the boy racers and sales reps. It will sit at 70mph for hours on end and it has never missed. It starts when I want it to, it drives well whatever my mood is and stops when I want it to. General routine maintenance is all it has asked for and for 48,000 miles has averaged for me an indicated 64mpg. Brim to brim is 60 mpg. Some individual journeys I can get as much as a genuine 69mpg. This engine is magnificent for an everyday family car. Now to comfort. Not as good I'm afraid to say as the suspension is very harsh over all but the smoothest of roads, however the driving position for me is perfect and the seats are fine. I personally like the spoiler in the rear window, especially at night as it stops the headlight glare of following traffic and anyway you have door mirrors to see behind you. I'd rather see what's in front any time and in that respect it is faultless. "A" pillars are indeed large, but then so are all the other cars as well. Room to rest both feet if using cruise control. I admit the instruments are quirky and I did have problems until I accepted them and their aesthetic faults, now it isn't a problem even if the sun shines on them. As for the passengers` comfort, I'm not too concerned as I drive it but my son drove me once and I felt fine in the left seat. I did buy a spare wheel to use instead of the supplied tyre gloop and at least it sits in it's own compartment. All in all, it has to be the best car I have owned in 44 years of driving. Remember, when you buy a car, you have to weigh up the pros and cons as nothing is perfect and if you only rate a car as 1 or 2 stars, then you did not do your homework properly and bought the car with your heart instead of your head.

Submitted: 2014-08-20 | ID: 101821

Chris Smith, Shropshire

Honda Civic 2010

What a great car; fun to drive, good fuel economy and well built. Would rather have a spare wheel than gunk and a pump, but extra space under boot floor is very handy. Rear suspension can be a bit bumpy, but I forgive it because it holds the road like a limpet coated with superglue. Threre’s plenty of room for 5, but watch you heads on the rear door opening, even when you are aware it can catch you - but I never go in the back so doesn’t bother me. Plenty of performance if you want it, but will happily tootle around and has pretty good torque, so it’s easy to drive and there’s no need to keep swapping gears. Great sound system, but the auto climate makes the car too dry for me so I rarely use it, but it can get complicated to use manual as you have to press a few buttons to get it to do what you want. The ’head-up speed display is worth its weight in gold as it is always in line of sight. Love the shape, but it is the only car I have ever driven where I didn’t know where the back end was and had to fit parking sensors. The rear windscreen spoiler does keep headlights out of the car, and you know when they are too close because their lights shine under the spoiler. Don’t hesitate to buy one, because all round it is a very, very practical car, and it will make you smile when driving it.

Submitted: 2013-04-28 | ID: 40946

William Parke, Surrey

Honda Civic 2009

Bought a small Civic diesel expecting excellent mileage compared to my old larger heavier car. At a push I get 42MPG with lots of motorway driving. It only has a 50L tank, so requires many more fill ups, made worse by the ’Miles to Go’ showing zero with at least 10L left. The front seats are very hard and do not have tilt adjustment, so when combined with the heavy clutch makes for very uncomfortable driving. The rear passengers can put their feet under their seats (which is no use), but not under the front seats which significantly reduces the comfort in the back. There is no rear wiper and the built in spoiler is at just the wrong height to obscure the view from the rear window particularly if the parcel shelf is used for any "parcels". The rear door closure is less than firm; if the boot is nearly full any item getting near the door makes it almost impossible to fully shut the rear door. At the end of the day my car is the last to turn on its lights when on automatic, which means it’s pretty dark by then. However, the same gadgetry does not hesitate to turn on the lights in over-shadowed areas thus making the dash board displays unreadable, unless you manually turn up the brightness. At less than three years old the radio and radio display fail on journeys over ten minutes with a full volume bang from the speakers. This is repeated at random intervals for the rest of the journey and cannot be turned off because the on-off button is not a real power switch. The blue tooth operation of the mobile phone is inaudible at the other end on most calls (with a variety of phones). On the outside there is no plastic "side bumper" to deflect the doors from others parked near you, resulting in many minor scratches on all four doors. The thinking for you is also poorly thought out. If you do not leave the car immediately you stop at night you are plunged into darkness. The wing mirror retraction only works with the ignition on - in contrast to the windows that can be closed after that.

Submitted: 2013-04-07 | ID: 40947

John Stenton, England

Honda Civic 2012

I have had 16 Honda new cars in my time and now have the auto Jazz for my wife and the manual Jazz for myself, purchased 1 yr ago. The average mileage per car is 5,000 miles a year. Having had a test drive in the Civic 1.6 diesel I found it had the same visibility in the back window as the one I tried last year. Honda have improved by putting a windscreen wiper on the rear, which is an addition, but the vision is impaired by the shape. I found the car very comfortable and easy to drive with a very good performance. I have only ever bought new cars and will continue to do so.

Submitted: 2013-04-06 | ID: 40948

Craig Loan, Hampshire

Honda Civic 2010

A great looking car, and practical with it. The boot space is just fantastic for a hot hatch. Acceleration with the diesel engine leaves many cars standing, yet with outstanding economy to boot - during the warm weather last summer I was getting about 60mpg, now it’s February I am still getting 52mpg. I haven’t had any faults and the car is approaching 3 years of age with 40000 miles on the clock. A fun, engaging drive is to be had from the Type S Civic, and I am certainly glad to have it back if, for example, I have to use a hire car for a day! I actually prefer this model to the new incarnation of Honda’s Civic, and hope to keep it for a few more years yet. My one and only gripe is the absence of a spare wheel, Honda choosing instead to rely upon a can of sealant, which you spray into any punctured tyre but are then not supposed to do more than 50mph until you get it repaired.

Submitted: 2013-02-10 | ID: 40937

Donald Campbell, Northern Ireland

Honda Civic 2006

I like this car especially the power and handling, even though it can be noisy over bad road surfaces and the rear visability isn’t great. Using good quality diesel gives me in the mid 50’s mpg. In general I like the car and its moden appearance for a car of its age.

Submitted: 2013-01-28 | ID: 40938

Grant, England

Honda Civic 2012

Had my eye on one of these cars for 3 years!!! Now I am in the point to have one, let’s start with that engine it’s a master piece it loves revving up 8k rpm and the sound put your hairs stand on end!!!! Handling is great! And if anyone is scared of the petrol price, it’s not all bad I’m doing easy 34 mpg, I have got the gt, one which I recommend. <br /><br />

Submitted: 2012-08-28 | ID: 40939

Simon Taylor, Oxfordshire

Honda Civic 2008

Wow! I bought this car after its 1st MOT from Perry’s in Aylesbury. Their service was second to none, and the car has been the best £9k I have ever spent! For a performance rocket ship, and 0 - 60 in 6.6 seconds, achieving 35 mpg is surprisingly easy, even when hitting V-Tec. This is probably because the car will very happily trundle along sensibly, but give 100% of its power as soon as asked. The recaros are so comfy for someone with a bad back (like me), and the set out of the cabin is brilliant. People told me I should have brought the old style civic, because of the ride. The ride seems fine to me. Genuinely deserves 5 stars, thank you Perry’s and thank you Honda!

Submitted: 2012-03-09 | ID: 40943

Roger Wood, Warwickshire

Honda Civic 2007

I ran one for 3 years and was delighted with it. It did not appear to have the fault of jiggly rear suspension as the road tests imply (perhaps they had the R version). It was so good that silly things were noticed; the length of the key I had to lean forward half an inch to operate the radio, real nit-picking. This is a excellent vehicle and I would recommend it to anyone.

Submitted: 2012-02-19 | ID: 40944

Paul Reynolds, Northumberland

Honda Civic 2008

Nice car! Not very quick in my opinion but not bad. Not having a rear wiper is a pain too you can never see out the rear window. And rear view is very restricted, but on the whole, it’s a reliable car. Never had a problem with it. <br /><br />

Submitted: 2012-02-17 | ID: 40942

Joe, England

Honda Civic 2007

Bought the car in 2009 with 30,000 miles, it now has 60,000 and all I can say is it is a great car! I use it everyday to commute to work (30miles each way) with an avg of 38mpg. My car has had all the extras added to make it look like a type R, one of the the best looking hatches on the road, drives well and is pretty quick for a 1.6. The inside is very spacious with loads of cubby holes and extra cupholders etc. At first I was worried what the gearstick position would be like, but it’s so comfortable and driving with a normal one feels uncomfortable to me now! Plenty of legroom in the back aswell. Engine wise you cant go wrong with Honda. I’ve serviced it every 10,000 miles and apart from the usual changing of tyres and brakes it’s needed nothing major(touch wood!). Before this I had a 206, which seemed to be in the garage all the time! No comparison to a Honda!

Submitted: 2012-02-13 | ID: 40941

Kev Sandland, Staffordshire

Honda Civic 2007

Do not buy a 2.2 diesel as they have a design fault with the clutch that Honda are in denial about, but can cost up to £1600 to fix, with the fly wheel alone costing £814 to buy. Google ’Honda civic clutch’ and you will see.

Submitted: 2012-02-13 | ID: 40940

Manuel, Israel

Honda Civic 2011

The rear plastic window (spoiler) of the Hatchback Civic gets burnt in the sun and loses transparency. I first noticed the signs after only 3 months on the road. I expect that it will get worse as time passes. This happened on my car and on ALL other hatchback Civics that I’ve seen.The local agent has so far ignored my complaints on the subject. They sent their expert to check on my complaint; he acknowledged that there was a problem and then I heard nothing more from them.

Submitted: 2012-01-08 | ID: 40945

Glynn Morris, Devon

Honda Civic 2011

We’ve had to have new electronics on the transmission and it’s only done 3000 miles. Honda, Exeter, (who’s customer service is total rubbish) took two weeks the carry out the repair. From new we were achieving 33.5 mpg, but since the repair we are now getting 44.3 mpg. However, since the reapir to the transmission the gear change goes 1st, 2nd, 3rd then jumps to 5th before changing down to 3rd and yo-yoing back up to 5th. It’s all over the place! Having to book the car back in again, arghhhhh!!!!

Submitted: 2011-07-16 | ID: 40936

Cristian Lopez, Chile

Honda Civic 2009

Good Brazilian-made car with fine fuel economy. However, it makes noises when you turn or push the brakes. Anyway, good looking car.

Submitted: 2011-07-04 | ID: 40935

Mark Layton, England

Honda Civic 2011

No intention of buying a new car (just browsing!), when offered a test drive of civic 1.4 v tech type S. I was so impressed I purchased a new vehicle on return of test drive. This car punches way above its class. Driving around town it feels prestigious; put the hammer down it is exciting and fun to drive and quick for a 1.4. Fuel economy is excellent; well-done Honda I now have a car that looks good without the expensive road tax, fuel economy, and insurance burdens. This car is excellent for young and old alike who still appreciate a good looking car without the expensive and licence threatening traits of the more powerful types.

Hi, what mpg are you getting on this car? - Glyn Morris from Devon

Submitted: 2011-03-30 | ID: 40933

Q Jones, Hertfordshire

Honda Civic 2008

Bought this car 3 years ago because it promised more grunt than my old 1.6 petrol civic, better fuel economy and more space. It has delivered on counts: smiles, savings and practicality. Acceleration is fairly spongy, perhaps due to turbo lag or software induced delay to meet emissions targets (achieves 135 g/km CO2). This can be forgiven because sooner or later you will find the time to stay in gear, and use all the torque tearing away uphill at 2000 rpm. Economy is as billed: 60 mpg @ 65 mph, or if you prefer to thrash around then 44 mpg is about as low as it goes. Only fly in the ointment has been reliability. I received a letter in the post telling me that my car wouldn’t start after my holiday - and it didn’t. Still, not all manufacturers gave written warning in advance of failure. Software defect caused too much current drain when unused for 3 weeks. Secondly, the right-rear shock failed. Both issues were fixed very quickly under warranty - no stress. Try it if you like cheap thrills.

Submitted: 2011-02-04 | ID: 40932

Jazz Nasim, Sussex

Honda Civic 2010

The Honda Civic has long been a bread and butter car for Honda, the typical C-Segment mainstream family hatch that would sell in strong numbers due to it’s reputation as a solid, dependable and practical runabout that fulfils the needs of a young family. But as we all know, once you have dropped the children at school and have no more bread and milk to pick up from the nearest supermarket, sometimes you like to have some fun. Which is why it has become important that mainstream cars have well balanced chassis and responsive steering all designed for an engaging and enjoyable drive, as demonstrated by Ford’s bestselling Focus, which showed that family hatchbacks can also be fun to drive. For other drivers they sometimes want to take it to the next level, and have a family car that is able to double up as a true performance toy for the weekends. That’s why the hot-hatch was spawned in the 70s, and has been such a popular sub-breed of family hatches ever since, with various GTi/RS/Sport variants of all the best selling Corollas/Golfs/Civics/Focus/Astras. New for the twenty-first century, welcome the Uk/European spec Civic Type R by Honda. Red H badges, a sporty bodykit and bigger, more aggressive 17 inch alloy wheels mark it out over standard Civics. Honda have removed sound deadening, added a sharp 6-speed gearbox, uprated the brakes and suspension, added sharper steering responses and thrown in a screaming 2.0 ’K20A’ i-VTEC engine. This served up a healthy 197bhp of revvy power which meant that the Type R could accelerate from 0-60mph in just 6.8 seconds and run on to 146mph. And that’s after dropping four passengers off and emptying the boot of a week’s shopping. Not bad at all. On the track the ’CTR’ really shines in dry conditions, with a well set-up chassis that can swing it’s backend out over tight corners and really responds well to the driver’s commands. It feels crisp and alive and is a pleasure to drive fast. The engine needs to be worked hard and revved but it rewards the driver by feeling so urgent and so willing that it is never a chore. Downsides? On the road the harder suspension set up means it is a bit jiggly on the motorway and the lack of sound deadening means it isn’t the quietest cruiser in the world, and in the wet weather it does often spin it’s tyres when applying the power, but for what it’s worth, the CTR is certainly one of the front-runners of the hot-hatch class and an excellent example of practicality and fun wrapped up in an affordable and desirable package.

Submitted: 2010-12-05 | ID: 40929

Michael, London

Honda Civic 1998

Best car I ever had, never let me down in three years. Bought with 100k, now is 137k I didn’t do anything except changing all belts and fluids at the begining, and change oil every 7,500miles; all servicing carried out by me. I haven’t change brake pads yet, still ok. Great car.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-11-18 | ID: 40928

Jim Paton, Perthshire

Honda Civic 2007

Great car to drive, disappointed in garage Grangemouth Phoenix Honda. I had car 5 weeks drop link went, not covered in warranty (wear and tear). I replaced air filter, oil filter and oil and front brake pads within 2 months. On complaining I was told the car had a 30 point check before I bought it. Now after 55000 miles the clutch has burned out and guess what its wear and tear not covered in warranty. Guess who won’t be using Phoenix Honda Grangemouth again?

Hi, your car is covered by Honda Happiness Warranty, a guarantee for 12 months, check Honda’s website - Todd Smith from Argyllshire

Submitted: 2010-11-10 | ID: 40926

Mark Williams, England

Honda Civic 2007

Opted for ’reliable’ Honda from new, at 22,000 miles required new clutch and temp sensor, repaired under warranty. Now just over 3 years old and 42,000 miles, requires another new clutch; slipping between 2000 - 4000 revs in 4th 5th and 6th gear, no longer covered under warranty and expect to get little change out of £1000, not what I expect from Honda! Also 2 new swing arm bushes had to be replaced to pass MOT (previous Renault had done in excess of 70000 still on original clutch and only ball joints were replaced at about 50k miles), will not consider buying another Honda, wished I had opted for my second choice German car or even another Renault.

I agree with Mark, just got rid of my Civic due to clutch problems again! Totally lost faith in the brand - Carl Thompson from Leicestershire

Submitted: 2010-10-26 | ID: 40924

David Handley, England

Honda Civic 2007

Good performance engine and good reliability, However suffers for practicality. The major issue is the very poor visibility, you have very poor visibility out the back (no rear windscreen wiper doesn’t help) and the side mirrors have very sizeable blind spots. Thankfully I don’t have to drive in town as I would be very worried if my route was shared with a lot of cyclists, and I have had a number of worrying close near misses with other vehicles. Minor additional irritation is that the driver seat does not lower, so if you are slightly above average height you will enter work with you hair vertical from static.

You mentioned the issue of blind spot in side mirrors, I just don’t understand what you are talking about. The Civic has excellent large mirrors, compared to other similar sized cars, you probably haven’t set them properly. Also the driver’s seat is adjustable in my EX model, there are 2 levers on the side one for height adjustment and other for rake adjustment - Zia Rahman from England

Submitted: 2010-10-09 | ID: 40922

Tim Jarvis, Herefordshire

Honda Civic 2006

For people who moan about the visibility out of the back, well presumably you test drove the car?? How can you moan about it after you have bought it? Great looking, fast, good handling, comfy. Could be more refined; noisy suspension, passenger seat noisy when unoccupied, temperatures sensor failed at 65,000 miles (a common fault according to Civic info sites) not expected from a Honda. Also disturbing to hear that people have had new clutches and discs with only 49,500 miles, I think it says something about their driving as I drive with a heavy foot no disc trouble clutch is fine and I get an average of 56 mpg. Overall great car, later models have been more refined.

My car a Honda Civic 1800 sport years 2006, it had 110.000 Km and for now, I have had to change a injector of the GPL (it’s a hybrid) and the rubber of the wheel at 60,000km. I had to renew the brakes three times. Before, I had an Alfa Romeo 156 2000cc T-spark, sorry but for my experiences, this Honda with a tank of Gpl and one of Gasoline it’s better than many car that I saw around (sorry for my English, I hope I don’t harm none with my words) - from Italy

Submitted: 2010-08-15 | ID: 40930

Terry Porter, London

Honda Civic 2008

A great car. I would never buy another Volkswagen. The Honda Civic is the best car money can buy!

Submitted: 2010-06-11 | ID: 40911

Victoria Boland, Cheshire

Honda Civic 2007

I have owned the Honda Civic for 3 years now and it has not had one fault in all this time. The main dealers are all brilliant to deal with which is a refreshing change.

Submitted: 2010-02-28 | ID: 40912

Syd Taylor, Staffordshire

Honda Civic 2009

You won’t find civic pride in our town centres these days, with litter adorning the pavements and our once prestigious municipal buildings left to go to seed, as they are turned into drinking dens for the ’alco-pop’ generation. But you will find civic pride in the driveways of the fortunate owners of Hondas superb hatchback. Some would be tempted to call this cars design ’futuristic’ but the wonderful thing is that it belongs, not to the future, but to the ’here and now’. Unlike many of its ’wannabe’ rivals, it is a true precision instrument tailored for the needs of today’s sensible, but enterprising, motorist. VW’s Golf might be the benchmark ingot of ’Tiger Tank’ solidity but the Honda Civic is the benchmark for chronometric standards of engineering. The owner/driver knows he can depend upon Hondas established reputation, which is second to none. A dreamlike combination of style, performance, comfort, reliability and definite class is available for a price that’s great value at £17,559. Surely this is too good to be true. Well, it almost has you rubbing your eyes in disbelief. How do they do it when you consider that low a spec. Ford Focus costs more than this Honda. It is said that the Japanese habit is to ’hint’ at things rather than being too explicit, so let me lay it on the line. This car, for what it is, for what it does, for what it costs and for what it gives its owner in terms of pride of ownership, is as good as it gets. It might not get you from A to B as fast as a Bullet Train but you’re guaranteed to arrive at your destination with a minimum of strain. In its understated and stylish way, this machine is a veritable temple to technology - a dynamic demonstration of all that is best in the progressive world. The build quality is of the highest order and the equipment list is lengthy - and on this Si spec. car you get climate control, an excellent audio system, half-leather upholstery and, of course, power windows. You even get a refrigerated glove box for storing your chocolate in the summers that we never have. Needless to say, it’s a very practical and flexible five-door hatchback. Hondas respect and consideration for its customers is evident down to the smallest detail. While most of the niceties of design are tucked away in the internal mechanicals, one cannot help but be aware of them every time one switches on the ignition. Beyond the attractive surface lines of this machine and the ergonomically perfect and attractively different interior, there is the beauty and poetry of refined mechanical and technological excellence. A near perfect position was easy for me to tailor on the comfortable and supportive seats, setting the mood for particularly relaxed driving. The 140PS 1.8litre VTEC engine is a jewel to enjoy, revving sweetly and smoothly to take you to speeds up to nearly 130mph - yet at the same time just sipping fuel. I easily achieved an overall 45mpg, which is in stark contrast to the pathetic showings of some ’superminis’ I could name. There’s the finest ’snickety snick’ six speed gearbox in the business, transmitting drive to the front wheels; so piloting the Civic is delightful - whether you’re subsonic or supersonic. It drives so nicely, majoring on that hard to achieve, ideal balance between ride comfort and pin sharp handling. Labour intensive twisty roads that can make a chap perspire in other vehicles become a delight to traverse in the Civic. Poised like a Sadlers Wells artiste, the fluency and composure are so reassuring that one is tempted to be bold. This is just the sort of car that bureaucrats in the bowels of the Ministry for Perpetual Misery would tax out of existence, despite its clean breathing exhaust and super safety gear - not only that, but my test car came in inflammatory Terrorist Red. For Home Counties purchasers, in the past, the hallmark of a cars reliability was the extent to which one could depend upon it for a trip to Scotland. With the Civic one feels that a thousand John O’Groats trips a day for a hundred years wouldn’t be out of the question before one would even begin to hear a squeak of complaint. Sweet as silk, keen as a blade and smooth as cream - Honda just seem to keep pouring it on: and I have to say, ’I like it’. If only the Community Charge could be such good value for money, we might then see the rebirth of those ’Civic’ values we all aspire to, but which are only attainable these days to the fortunate buyers of the exceptional all-rounder that is the Honda Civic. Driving one of these cars is to feel reassured that your needs are being conscientiously attended to, that your individuality is recognised and that you’re afforded due respect for your good sense is seeking such a car in the first place. And all for a price that’s guaranteed not to raise any complaints.

Shocking, boring, unreadable report. Honda cars are good though - Harry Scholes from England

So Syd, I guess you quite like it then? How much ARE they paying you by the way? Tee hee - from Buckinghamshire

Some of you may by now have noticed that Syd writes reviews on every thing from a size 8 woodscrew to a space shuttle. He seems to be trying to get a job as a reviewer. Read his report on the VW Golf! - Arthur Gruntfuttock from Lincolnshire

Try using punctuation and pauses, idiot! - Paragraph Pete from Afghanistan

Freedom of speech pushed to its limits.Or perhaps there are no limits to self indulgence. - from West Midlands

Submitted: 2010-02-19 | ID: 40913

Rick, Ireland

Honda Civic 2008

Great car...the best I’ve had in 15 years of driving. Really enjoy its interactivity and performance. In terms of economy, it is great once you keep yourself from hitting the accelerator too much. All in all a car you should have no problems with and one you’ll enjoy going out to each morning. Have mine nearly a year now and nothing, I mean nothing has even tweaked my attention as going wrong. Most cars can’t do that!<br /><br />

I’ve had many automatic cars before but this one is a bit of a disappointment as there is too much of a pause when the transmission is changing gears. It tries too hard to be like a manual shift but with less acceleration. I much prefer the older, smoother accord or CRV gear changes. They are much less obvious - Reagon Ramiah from England

Submitted: 2010-02-13 | ID: 40920

Al Mungham, Norfolk

Honda Civic 2006

n the plus side: This car is fantastic to drive, pulls from nowhere, handles well even though it is always fully loaded up. Returns 44mpg, had 50mpg once after doing 70mph along the motorway. Feathering the accelerator helps and not attacking gradients. Love the fact that the headlights behind are lost in the middle of the rear spoiler. I do 3-4000 miles per month and have never have any posture problems. Down side: My car has done 67,000, (30000since July) and has just had a new clutch, brake disks and pads all round at 44,000. Now new tyres, and is in for a new rear wheel bearing this week. Its been costly but fun!!<br /><br />

I drive a 2.2 iCTDI ES 2006 with 64000 miles recorded. Fuel consumption to work is 45 MPG on a drive to Manchester last year at a steady 70 MPH on the motorway I got 63MPG with the motor only doing 1950 RPM. It will only give you good MPG if you drive it as a diesel should be driven ie. Change UP as soon as possible. Allow the torque to move the car do not rev the engine. Hope that your MPG improves - John Alexander from Renfrewshire

Submitted: 2010-02-09 | ID: 40918

Helen Pollard, Lancashire

Honda Civic 2005

Car looks great and has some good gadgets - I like the radio volume going up and down depending on speed of car. However, very poor visibility all round, poor acceleration and very noisy, hard ride and dreadful in recent snow. I had to abandon while other cars were managing to get up a slight hill. Would not recommend.

Submitted: 2010-01-21 | ID: 40909

Peter Taylor, Derbyshire

Honda Civic 2006

I’ll keep this short... On the plus sides, great trick seating.. boot space very good, handles superb and looks stunning... Now on the down side... We bought the car from a Honda main dealer in Derby for £10,300 last August (2009). It was a Honda Civic 2.2 diesel, full history, 49,500 miles and basically in mint condition. Now, 4k later, it’s required... 2 new tyres, wiper arms and motor, driver’s side mirror as it packed up, cruise control solaniod, reversing sensor and rear bulbs. But most of all it needs a new clutch. This isn’t a gripe at the car because we love it to bits but its reliabilty and customer service need to be looked at for sure. For instance, even though the car’s still under warranty, Lookers in Derby still want us to pay for the clutch!!!! £1200 after 4000 miles!

Submitted: 2010-01-20 | ID: 40910

Den Needler, London

Honda Civic 2007

Had my civic for just over a year and on first glance the car was very good but as you drive it more and more you find its faults as listed below; * suspension is loud and unrefined (problem with bump stops) * Some annoying rattles on dash * hands free microphone inadequate * THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE BEING THAT THE 2.2TD HAS A FAULTY CLUTCH WHICH CANNOT HANDLE THE TORQUE OF THE ENGINE FROM 2000 TO 4000 RPM AND WILL SLIP ON MOST. HONDA WILL NOT ACCEPT THIS AND SO YOU COULD BE CHARGED UP TO £1500 FOR A REPAIR. PLEASE SEE THE CIVINFO WEBSITE FOR FURTHER INFORMATION ON THIS Because of this I have now sold my civic, hope this helps anyone thinking of buying a diesel civic

After 22,000 miles my Civic developed the same clutch problem, repaired under warranty, also new temp sensor at around the same time. Now at 42,000 miles, same problem again with the clutch, not covered anymore (outside 3 year warranty period). Needing a new clutch every 20k or so miles makes me wish I had bought my second choice, a Golf TDi and stayed away from the ’reliable’ Honda brand - Dave Fish from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2010-01-13 | ID: 40907

David Cr, Essex

Honda Civic 2009

Asked company to supply me my Civic Hybrid, mainly due to the tax I was paying on the Merc C 220 I had. All I can say is WOW!!! This car is roomy, although the boot suffers a little due to the baterry pack, but interior is comfortable for 4 adults. The spec on the car is absolutely fantastic and better than the Merc with bluetooth for the phone and built in sat nav and VOICE CONTROL! This is a great car delivering over 45MPG in town and up to 65 MPG on a run and more than comfortable enough for me to do London to Edinburgh with only one break (and that was because I needed the bathroom). All this and only £15 per year road tax and no congestion charge!!!!! Worth it just for that (although you do still have to pay a £10 per year exemption fee - the robbing b********). Only one problem was that some toerag decided to key the nearside from bonnet to boot! This car has impressed me so much I have just bought a Jazz for the wife, and I am thinking of getting myself a 2.4 Accord (for fun).

Have had my Civic Hybrid for three years and everything OK (except claimed mpg vastly exagerated). Recently have had the AA out 4 times for electrical faults and failure to start. Now keep getting warning lights. Would never consider buting Honda again. Previously had five Nissans - not a single fault in nine years - Ken Baker from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2009-09-14 | ID: 40970

David Hughes, Durham

Honda Civic 2008

I agree with the mpg figures. I struggle to reach 46 unless I drive at a steady 56mph. Once I get onto a motorway it is 44 mpg.

Submitted: 2009-08-06 | ID: 40906

Lindsay Trim, Scotland

Honda Civic 2002

I bought my car in Dec 2002 new after my test drive, I thought the gear lever was amazing for my frozen shoulder. Had owned 5 Toyota’s before so expected good reliability from a Japanese maker, although my first Honda. Very impressed. Have had about 7 years faultless, no problem ownership. Car is spacious inside, dealt with 35 mile morning school run with 4 passengers including 3 leggy teenage boys in back with no problem and all their school bags and musical instruments. Very much aided by no transmission tunnel. (Why have Honda changed this?) Still love driving my car and at only 57,000 miles on the clock might just keep her for a while yet. My husband has Toyota Yaris (05) and the build quality is nothing like my Honda. Will definitely look at Honda again when I have to say goodbye.

Submitted: 2009-07-23 | ID: 40957

Arthur Bayley, England

Honda Civic 2007

This is my wife’s company car, thank goodness. If we’d bought this I’d be really hacked off. I think this is a seriously flawed car, and potentially dangerous. As follows: general visibility awful and rear visibility appalling (I know some one who had to change their route to work as he couldn’t see to pull out at a junction!), not helped by no wiper to remove rain on the daft rear screen, very harsh ride and noisy too, poor access as people including myself/wife keep banging heads getting in, can’t get 47 mpg. Over 20k miles on all types of route (54 advertised), poor boot space, air con very noisy and complicated. The good points: very torquey engine minimises gear changes and gives good acceleration. Overall I wouldn’t touch one again and recommend a very long test drive to weigh up if it suits you. Goodness knows what the design team was thinking of when this was approved!

Poor boot space you say? Strange comment as it has the biggest boot in its class by far, boosted by the wonderfully flexible "magic seating." I do wonder if you are talking about the same car. You keep on banging your head getting in? That says more about you I’m afraid than the car design. Visibility awful, suggests that your eyes need attention and as for the rear view this has proved to be no problem at all for any competent driver. My comments are based on 3 years ownership of a Civic which has proved to be reliable economical comfortable and great fun. You ask what the design team were thinking of well it certainly wasn’t someone like you or the type of person you mention that had to change his route because he couldn’t pull out at a junction. It would be safer for all if he used public transport - from Sussex

I totally agree with whoever Alan from Sussex is. The civic is a fine car, This man Arthur, must need his eyes tested because the visibility is perfect. You know what to do if its so bad, GET RID OF IT - from County Antrim

OP is spot on. I rented one of these yesterday and the rear visibility is so bad I managed to tear the rear bumper off on a completely invisible curb. I have driven dozens of cars of all types on two continents and the only thing with worse visibility than the Civic was the Triumph TR7 coupe which is really saying something - I have never had an accident like this in any car ever. Not to mention how ridiculously easy it is to scrape the chin spoiler given how the nose dips under braking and how low the car sits. This design is completely unsuitable for what is supposed to be a mass-market, easy-to-drive car; there are nothing but complaints about the visibility in every road test I’ve read for it and I would strongly recommend that anyone considering it buy something else. Also, it is hideous - from Sussex

Submitted: 2009-05-29 | ID: 40951

Noreen Dane, County Antrim

Honda Civic 2008

It’s Japanese so therefore quality is as good as you’ll find anywhere. Even being built in Britain doesn’t stop it being one of the most robust cars in its class, and the most user friendly car I have ever had the privilege of owning.

Submitted: 2009-05-29 | ID: 40955

Ray Fielding, Cheshire

Honda Civic 2001

Great car. Well made. No problems. Only gripe is NO acceleration.

Submitted: 2009-05-15 | ID: 40956

Paul Blaney, County Down

Honda Civic 2005

I have owned a Civic Type R now for three and a half years, and I can safely say without any shadow of a doubt that it is by far the beast car I have ever owned. I get the same thrill driving down country lanes now as I did when I first brought the car. The road holding is absolutely superb, no matter now hard you push the car into a corner it just cries out for more. The six speed gear box means fuel consumption is very good at normal drive speeds giving a respectable 32-34 mpg. Reliability has been second to none with faultless motoring all the way. It is still as taught as the day it left the showroom. Inside there are no squeaks or rattles you would get in some other cars of a similar age, yet again a true example of Honda’s brilliant build quality. The Type R is a car that a person can have even if you are married and need extra family space during the week and still want to have a bit of fun driving at weekends or to take to a track day. The Type R has been at the top of the pile among the hot hatches now for quite some time and shows no sign of letting its crown slip into the hands of the GTI, ST, AND RS’s of this world. And with 2001 models on the market now at sensible money its makes a good fun weekend car too.

Submitted: 2009-03-02 | ID: 40950

Ahmet Nurettin, Hertfordshire

Honda Civic 2008

Bought my HONDA CIVIC 1.8i SE VTEC manual 2 weeks ago brand new. I have loved every minute of driving it. It is one cool motor that turns many heads, especially as it is a gleaming black colour. Only fault is as many other reports - poor rear visibility and no rear wiper. I have found the drive comfortable with great road handling, acceleration and responsiveness. I have not yet noticed good fuel economy as in the spec and other reviews state? Overall truly the hot hatch to beat on the market.

Submitted: 2009-01-20 | ID: 40949

Ifty Hussain, London

Honda Civic 2007

Have had the beauty for 24hrs and am REALLY happy with it. ; )) My only complaint is no rear wiper.

I’ve had my Civic 2.2 cdti for 1 year - had front drive shafts and whole new clutch, all fixed free under warranty. The clutch had not actually gone, just sqeaked but Honda replaced the lot, pedal and all. All works superbly now, excellent service and I get 64mpg, no problems, out of mine but I do change gear like Nigel Mansell on speed lol which helps lol. I shut my door and say it sounds like a Golf only works better lol Anyway, why would people want to drive a Golf which was invented by mad German golfers who have iron clad a golf cart and some kid nicked the cart badge thus the Golf was born lol. All jokes aside, - the Civic is the daddy ;) Steve Shaw from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2008-08-01 | ID: 40967

Mary Innes, Scotland

Honda Civic 2006

Lovely to look at, great dashboard and gadgets are cool! Really nice to drive and responsive, however, required rear suspension replacing 6/12 out of the show room resulting in front tyres replacing at <9000miles and rear brake pads and discs at 14,000, (no warning signs on instrument panel). Petrol cap keeps sticking, requiring return visits to the workshop. I am disappointed at the reliability.

Submitted: 2008-05-15 | ID: 40969

Helen Steadman, London

Honda Civic 2006

I’ve been running the hybrid now for almost 2 years and so far so good. I live in London and this has meant that I have never had to pay a penny towards the London Congestion Charge, the CO2 emissions of the hybrid are only 109g/km. The car is also means low company car tax. I get around 55 - 60 miles to the gallon (my daily journey involves a lot of stopping and starting which is great for recharging the battery but not great for fuel economy...). There are a few flaws - the brakes are too heavy, the engine sometimes sounds strained. This is why I can only give the hybrid 4 stars but any new technology will have its teething problems and I am prepared to accept this. I will continue to go for the greener option when getting a new car and would be happy to first see what new offerings Honda have before looking elsewhere.

Submitted: 2008-05-06 | ID: 40966

James Birch, Torfaen

Honda Civic 2004

This is precisely what a car should be - well constructed and completely reliable. The variant that I chose was the 1.6, perfect as a small family car, frugal and a very comfortable ride with plenty of head and leg room. The amount of storage space is a real highlight with a roomy boot and fold down rear seats when extra space is required. The cabin controls are well ordered and easy to find and use. What makes the Honda Civic such a good car? Reliability and attention to detail. 5 out of 5.

Submitted: 2008-04-29 | ID: 40965

Keith Williams, Swansea

Honda Civic 2006

I have only had my car a few weeks but i love it, its great to drive plenty of leg room, two things i have a issue with is no back wiper, and no spare wheel other wise you can’t fault it.

Submitted: 2008-02-11 | ID: 40958

Nick Clark, Newport

Honda Civic 2006

I’ve done over 27,000 miles in my new Civic and I have to say I still love every mile I do. Everyone says it’s gorgeous, both inside and out. All the gadgets are great fun and the driving experience is close to that of a journey on futuristic space craft. Aside from the great things, like the super fuel economy (I once managed 51 mpg for a few weeks), and the sci-fi interior, it does have issues. I have the ’automatic’ version, which is anything but. The i-SHIFT gear system is absolutely infuriating and even Honda garages acknowledge that it’s extremely ’difficult’ to drive. I say it’s a BAD gear box, not a difficult car to drive. I’ve had two previous automatics, both Honda, and they were a dream compared to the new Civic. The car often insists on going into 6th gear at the worst possible moments. And I’ve had numerous near misses running out of drive whilst pulling out from junctions finding the car would not come out of first gear. Over-revving warning lights were never meant to be used so much! Still, the thing is, this car is so good, I really don’t care about the gearbox issues. There’s a great paddle shift system for manual operation and it gets me out of any tight spot. It comes with all the gadgets as standard, and even two years after buying I think my motor is still the coolest car on the road.

Submitted: 2008-01-07 | ID: 40959

Rohit Gand, Leicestershire

Honda Civic 2000

Very difficult to get original parts and very expensive Also most parts have to be original Honda parts. Honda dealers are big headed in Leicester.

Submitted: 2007-11-14 | ID: 40962

Craig Lee, County Down

Honda Civic 2007

The Honda Civic is a beautifully built car. This is the most attractive hatchback on the market. The Civic could easily be used in Sci-Fi films, such is its space-age appearance. I chose the 1.8 for the better performance that it offers. The 1.4 is rather weak. Honda have build the interior well with lots of space for legs and shoulders. The build quality is were the Civic really stands head and shoulders above its rivals - everything is beautiful and this helps give the car an extremely refined look. The Civic is great value for money and economical to run.

Submitted: 2007-11-05 | ID: 40961

Tariq Iqbal, Durham

Honda Civic 2007

Great looking, fantastic engine, great economy ( 55+ miles to the gallon ). Great car!!!! Highly recommended.

Submitted: 2007-10-16 | ID: 40960

Asim Akhtar, Warwickshire

Honda Civic 2007

Performance, handling, economy, style, reliabilty - all 5 out of 5 from me. I am delighted with my choice and will be looking at the new Civic hybrid when the time comes to trade in my existing model.

Submitted: 2007-08-17 | ID: 40964

David Reid, Durham

Honda Civic 2007

Very reliable family car, easy and enjoyable to drive and offers all the space you need, my only grumble is no rear window wiper, but all in all I’m very pleased with it.

Submitted: 2007-08-07 | ID: 40963

• A response has been made to Syd Taylor (13/07/2014 22:56:38)
  • A response has been made to Mark Layton (30/03/2011 15:01:31)

• "My car was brought from usa with no key and was a flooded.l bought a new engine withnew control board still the car was not able to spark.even the pa..." (acheampong, 16/05/2016 23:38:53)
  • "My Honda civic ivtec 2005 model car refuse to start a green key is showing in the dashboard. What is wrong?..." (tuesday Abanre , 11/04/2016 09:54:27)
  • "My Honda civic ivtec car is flashing a green key on the dashboard and the car refused to start what is responsible...." (tuesday Abanre , 11/04/2016 09:47:31)
  • "driver seat has jammed on back position and nearly impossible to move forward . looks and sounds as if it has come off rail or runner on 1 side . any..." (john allison, 12/01/2016 21:41:57)
  • "I want to install reversing sensors . I need to run cable from ECU controller in the boot to audio / visual display panel just above the rear vi..." (dave, 14/07/2015 16:35:58)

• Stuart Sidwell's question has been answered: "I have had lots of problems with the paintwork on the bonnet of my 09 Honda Jazz - multiple deep chips, garage just says it’s cause I drive on the mot - Maryam Clarke from England' '..." (18/04/2013 09:13:47)
  • Christopher's question has been answered: "Every 75,000 miles or 8 years - Andy from England' '..." (25/02/2013 15:09:18)

Honda Civic Type R 2015

Honda's bid to stem the tide of falling sales has culminated in the bonkers-but-brilliant Civic Type R. With wings, gills, intakes and exhausts everywhere you look, this 310hp monster can certainly talk the talk, but don't for a moment imagine that it can't walk the walk. It has its foibles, of c [...]

Honda Civic Type R 2015

Honda Civic Sport Navi 1.6 i-DTEC

This year heralds the return of the Type R, and for those without either the courage or the money to quench a 306bhp 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine’s thirst, Honda has brought out the Civic Sport. By taking a completely bog-standard Civic and giving it a host of sporty styling features, Hon [...]

Honda Civic Sport Navi 1.6 i-DTEC

Honda Civic 2.2 i-DTEC ES road test report

Honda’s evergreen small family car, the Civic, is back in business. Now in its 9th iteration, can the all new model help win back motorists turned off by the ‘futuristic’ previous generation Civic? The omens certainly look good with a fresh new design which sits on the safer side of contemporary and [...]

Honda Civic 2.2 i-DTEC ES road test report

Honda Civic Si VTEC Manual road test report

Honda seems to be inching towards the premium marques when it comes to quality of materials and engine performance, and the all-important diesel alternative is now up to speed. The Si we drove comes in at £18,270 on the road and this is very competitively priced when you look around at the competiti [...]

Honda Civic Si VTEC Manual road test report

Honda Civic Hybrid 2009 road test report

The revised model of the Civic Hybrid is new for 2009, it utilises the same technology under the bonnet as the previous Civic Hybrid – in that it has a 1.3 litre petrol engine with IMA (the battery) - but has received a welcome face lift, giving it a contemporary look more in line with the Civic and [...]

Honda Civic Hybrid 2009 road test report

Honda Civic Championship White Civic Type R 2009 road test report

The ‘normal’ Type R not good enough for you? Waiting for something from Honda to really make you excited? Well, this car might make you sit up and notice. The strictly limited edition Championship White Civic Type R for 2009 is in the main a standard Type R with the added benefit of a limited slip d [...]

Honda Civic Championship White Civic Type R 2009 road test report

Honda Civic Type S road test report

With the latest incarnation of Honda’s biggest selling model hitting middle age, the Japanese manufacturer has taken the opportunity to tweak its Civic range. The new 1.8 i-VTEC Type S has seen its front end altered to look more like the Type R, while the handling and ride have been tweaked to give [...]

Honda Civic Type S road test report

Honda Civic Hybrid road test report

The Civic Hybrid is a capable, economical car with inexpensive running costs. The fuel economy is impressive but the same figures are achieved by many diesels. The low CO2 emissions (109g/km) could be the area in which it wins over most prospective purchasers. Performance The 1.3-litre (94bhp) pet [...]

Honda Civic Hybrid  road test report

Honda Civic Type R road test report

There are quicker and more comfortable rivals, yet few can match the £18,615 Civic Type R's engaging nature with the exception of the Ford Focus ST 500. But it’s the looks that do it for me; the space age design with raw power on tap makes the Type R a true hot hatch Performance Well the 2.0-litre [...]

Honda Civic Type R road test report