Honda FR-V consumer car reviews and road tests

Honda FR-V

Honda FR-V consumer reviews by year of make: 2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009

Honda FR-V consumer car reviews

Neville Wilson , Essex

Honda FR-V FR-V DIESEL ESTATE 2005 - 2009

I bought this wonderful car 2014 with 56000miles on the clock a one owner lease vehicle.All it did was motorway work in 6 th gear.It was the last model made in 2009.It has now 50 miles short of 100000.and is as sweet as a nut.It looks stunning in black.and I believe if you keep its bum clean (oil) it will last forever ..A bit heavy on the front tyres but it weighs over a ton but what can you expect.

Submitted: 2016-09-13 | ID: 135156

Mike helley , Cornwall

Honda FR-V FR-V DIESEL ESTATE 2005 - 2009

My Honda frv has just started to smoke first thing when I start it up it looks like a blue colour.IHad to put some oil in about a litre it is a 2.2 diesel has any body had this problem.

Submitted: 2016-08-22 | ID: 134575

JKN, Hampshire

Honda FR-V FR-V DIESEL ESTATE 2005 - 2009

Purchased Dec 07 has been ultra reliable and cheap to run so far. Just completed 70k miles with no issues except drivers sun blind replacement. A little heavy on tyres (circa 22k per set) and good fuel usage at around 45 mpg for the daily 45 mile commute. Local Honda Garage (Balmer Lawn Brockenhurst) first rate. Does use some oil (1 litre per 8-10k miles) and needs regular checking (about monthly). Passenger/luggage capacity is awesome and vehicle well capable of lifting its skirts and munching motorway miles. Good overtaking performance for a non sports car (I also ride a litre plus m/c). Impressive car but would have liked an auto transmission if on offer in 07.

Submitted: 2014-08-14 | ID: 101505

Finbar Magee, County Armagh

Honda FR-V 2006

I bought this car for my ex-wife and 4 children. The engine seized with NO WARNING; there is no oil level warning light in this car. Honda deny all responsibility they say it’s in the manual to check every 600 miles, yep, in a manual almost 700 pages long with no emphasis from the manual, dealer nor at service. Even my 12 year old Corsa had an oil level warning system. The oil pressure gauge in this vehicle comes on when the damage is done. "THE POWER OR DREAMS??" - MORE LIKE "THE STUFF OF NIGHTMARES" £17,000 DOWN THE TUBES!

Couldn’t you check the dipstick then? - Ben Stokes from England

Submitted: 2010-02-01 | ID: 41049

beefy39, Kent

Honda FR-V 2004

After only 45,000 miles my clutch has packed up, repair bill £900,00 plus, which obviously leaves one out of pocket. Quite a disappointment considering Honda’s reputation.

My clutch started slipping at about 55,000 in 4th and in 3rd when accelerating hard. Never had any problems in Fords or Renaults (previous cars older than the Honda) though this is definitely the most powerful engine I’ve had (2.2 diesel). I do not drive normally with a "high torque" style so am disappointed. Could the clutch system just be not beefy enough for the engine and car weight? - from Buckinghamshire

I loved my Honda FR-V (2.0L), until the clutch ’burnt out’ at 30000 miles! I am a middle aged gran, I do not ’slip’ or ’ride’ the clutch, and am not a ’boy racer’! VERY DISAPPOINTED, not covered under warranty, nearly £1000 repair bill with Honda dealer. My Mazda 626 has 150000 miles on clock, had it for 14 years, 1 clutch replacement. No more Honda’s for me! - Mary C from Angus (Forfarshire)

Apparently it’s a similar story with the Civic’s, which have the same engine (don’t know about the exact mechanicals of the gearbox). The clutch can’t handle the torque of the engine (irrespective of how you drive)... It’s why I haven’t bought another diesel Civic or even an FRV (I’m on my 3rd Civic, - an i-shift and I love it!) Gaz M from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2009-10-27 | ID: 41051

Wade R, Nottinghamshire

Honda FR-V 2005

Since buying the 2.0 litre FR-V the only bad thing I can say is the fuel consumption is a bit high but we love the fact that we get all our family in with loads of room for luggage in the back. Even more impressive is the great backup service we get from our Honda dealer and the warranty covered up to 90,000 miles.

Submitted: 2009-05-01 | ID: 41055

Nearchos Christofides, Scotland

Honda FR-V 2007

A magnificent car. The 1.8l engine is a little underpowered but auto-gearbox copes pretty well. Will do a 6.8l/100 km at 105km/h on the highway, but in town consumption suffers. Ample space for kids, baggage and most household transportation. Could even fit a 2.5m garden umbrella box with the rear seats dropped. An excellent space management for Honda. Would have been the perfect car had it been fitted with a 1.8l diesel.

Submitted: 2008-07-21 | ID: 41057

Oliver Needle, Northumberland

Honda FR-V 2005

Big, solid car that is very enjoyble to drive and bought used (like mine) very affordable. Very good running costs as well. Nice cabin, everything laid out really well and the interior is very comfortable throughout. The wife loves it, kids love it. Not overly powerful but plenty for our needs so no complaints there. Really pleased I chose this for our family car, fits the bill very nicely indeed.

Submitted: 2008-04-22 | ID: 41058

Hugo Wilson, Lancashire

Honda FR-V 2007

This is an excellent MPV from Honda, it is practical, comfortable and feels almost nippy to drive. We like the 3 x 3 seating and the kids often fight over who get to sit up front. The only thing I’d mark it down for is fuel consumption, which isn’t bad at all but there is definately room for improvement. Good all round car.

Submitted: 2007-10-27 | ID: 41056

• A response has been made to Finbar Magee (01/02/2010 19:49:31)
  • A response has been made to beefy39 (27/10/2009 08:33:33)

Renault Megane