2005 Freelander reviews

22 September 2017

2005 Land Rover Freelander reviews

Land Rover Freelander reviews by year of make: 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Read all reviews

Panos Pastides, Hampshire

Land Rover Freelander FREELANDER DIESEL 2003 - 2006

I have a 56 registered TD4 HSE MK1 which I have owned since October 2007; I bought it through a local LR dealer when it had 2,828 miles on the clock, it now has just under 45,000. The only problems experienced during the past 7 years have been the replacement of both rear window regulators, one set of tyres, one set of discs and pads on the front and the replacement of the rubber turbo inlet pipes to silicon on the recommendation of a fellow Freelander owner who had to replace one when on holiday in Holland, which he thought was expensive i.e. he could have replaced all with silicon for the price he paid for the one. The sunroof opens and closes fine, but on closing there appears to be a clutch slipping, but it still works fine. We have just completed a 3,498 mile trip to Italy travelling via Mount Blanc on the way out, and up through the centre of France on the way home, towing our 2010 coachman 460/2 caravan without incident, averaging 28MPG. After several years of umming and ahhing and knowing that I was going to need extra power for the journey I invested in a fuel system digital tuning module and the transformation in the power and torque was excellent, and I only used position 3 of 5 of the settings whilst on holiday and ran with it in position 2 for everyday use. I have thoroughly enjoyed my 7 years with this car and am now looking to upgrade to a Freelander 2 SD4 hoping to be as lucky with that as I have been with this one. Well done Land Rover.

Submitted: 2014-07-30 | ID: 100602

Steve, France

Land Rover Freelander 2005

Nothing but trouble from day 1 - five years on and just had the injectors changed for the fourth time. I actually like the car. it pulls my boats well and is great off road although seems to hate long journeys and motorway driving. Shame ! I’m going to change it for an X3 because it’s just too unreliable. Sorry...<br /><br />

Can’t beat the Honda CRV 2.2 i-CTDi for towing! I tow my boat on the trailer obviously, caravan, horsebox, car trailers etc and the car gets on with the job no bother at all! When towing it feels like there’s nothing on the back at all, on the motorway I easily get 48 mpg with the cruise control on, when towing I usually get 29mpg which isn’t that bad! - Pat M from County Down

Yes, I agree with the last comment about Diesel CRV. I tow a trailer and caravan with 08CRV ex and it’s great. I get 44mpg max and 29 when towing 1500kg caravan. Thought the Rav2 was good but CRV is better - Fred Philips from Yorkshire

Don’t you know where your diesel engine was made? By the same company that makes your next car! Oh well happy days - Alan Carter from Northumberland

Submitted: 2010-10-11 | ID: 42253

Eamonn Reid, County Armagh

Land Rover Freelander 2005

Hi, I’m currently driving a 2005 Freelander TD4 S SW and only one word can sum it up - TERRIBLE! The car has given me sooo much trouble. The interior is shocking as well, your legs are offset to the right for the pedals and the steering is offset to the left! What’s that all about??? The seats are far from comfortable and the engine is noisy and underpowered. Visually I like the car alot, it looks funky and makes me want a new one but after this car, I don’t think so! Also I used to teach in a school and another teacher drove a new 2008 2.2 TD4 HSE and she was having trouble as well with hers! It doesn’t come as a surprise to see LR down at the bottom of Satisfaction and Reliabilty surveys because they are terrible.

Submitted: 2010-09-02 | ID: 42251