Mazda 626 consumer car reviews and road tests

Mazda 626

Mazda 626 consumer reviews by year of make: 1992  1993  1994  1995  1996  1997  1998  1999  2000  2002  2007  2012

Mazda 626 consumer car reviews

tony, Kent

Mazda 626 626 HATCHBACK 1992 - 1997

great car. only niggle is a bit of a hard ride. its a 97 626se 2ltr hatch back. massive boot. its silver paint. I get comments on how good it looks. only got it this year 2016. hope to have it many years yet. automatic box seems perfect so is the engine. this is the first jap car ive had. highly recommended. its only done 80.000 miles still feels and drives like new. been well looked after. brilliant. it has electric sunroof/windows. air con. central locking. alarm. I have been converted. love Japanese cars.

Submitted: 2016-05-06 | ID: 131264

Roger Jones, Staffordshire

Mazda 626 2000

Bought this from new and it passed 190,000 miles last week. Passes annual MOT with minimum fuss. I love the car but it now has problems with corrosion around the wheel arches, which I suspect may cause a failure when the next MOT is due, and too expensive to repair, if not impossible. This morning just off to see a 2001 626 2.0 Sport with 130,000 miles, but quite confident that it will be mechanically sound, but either way will use my existing car until next May. I always targeted 200,00 miles but as I only do about 6,000 a year now sadly that won’t be achieved. Finally it has never once let me down once.

Submitted: 2013-11-29 | ID: 42749

Todd Nolan, Norway

Mazda 626 2012

Dependable, reliable, sturdy, economical, warm and safe. Horrid winter roads and tortured curves and hills, with too narrow roads up and down the mountains and fjords of most Northern Norway, 400 km above the Arctic circle prove the faults and virtues of cars and drivers. The Automatic transmission is not a viable option for cold driving conditions, it tends to suffer until it reaches operating temperature and at minus 20C that takes a while. In Finnmark minus 40C will prove the point. It is like a cat on the road with studded tires, and grips the road well in Summer, provided one does invest in the better brands of rubber, but many good cars have been slandered because of poor shoes. It does not seem to matter whether it is a wagon, a two door or four, the driving characteristics are quite the same, it is not a sports car. In Norway the way out favorites are Toyota Corolla, and the 626, but I like the larger size and weight of the 626 on the ice.

Submitted: 2013-07-14 | ID: 42748

Greg, United States of America

Mazda 626 1997

Great car, I’ve had two of these now, one being my first car and the other being my daily driver now, have no issues and planning to do a few mods, that’s the only downfall, not very many possible modifications! Great car overall!

Submitted: 2012-09-24 | ID: 42747

Tim, Lancashire

Mazda 626 1998

Bombproof, 170k miles and nothing more than a set of pads and a new battery. The most reliable machine I’ve ever owned.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-06-28 | ID: 42746

Pim Hermans, Netherlands

Mazda 626 1997

I do own 2 Mazda 626 cars. One is 13 years old and still going strong. Interior looks like new although it has eaten many miles. Maintenance is cheap and within the past 8 years nothing serious had to be replaced, only oil, tires etc. Amazing. Every year I say to myself: another 5 year to go! I like this car. I like the robustness of it. So I bought another one which is a bit newer and has the stronger 2.0 liter engine. That one is in brand condition and I hope to ride it for at least 10 more years. No, I’m not a Mazda freak. I just want to ride in comfort and as reliable and cheap as possible. And that is what they do.

A great car, my first Japanese car and I’m now converted - Gordon Gordons from England

Submitted: 2010-06-17 | ID: 42742

Alan, Yorkshire

Mazda 626 1999

I bought my 626 some 6 years ago and it now has 110k on the clock with a total maintenance bill comprising of break discs a battery...oh i forgot it needed a bulb for the last mot. These cars do look dull but if you want cheap, reliable, comforable, safe motoring get a 626 because now on the second hand market they are so cheap. Last sumer we went to France and covered 3k miles without a hitch @45 to the gallon, not bad for a 2litre.

Submitted: 2009-11-24 | ID: 42744

Sidney Skinner, Cambridgeshire

Mazda 626 2000

I have been running my 626 since 2003 without any trouble whatsoever. MOT’s are no problem, I’ve had to replace tyres twice and a headlight bulb once but she just keeps going. In my time I have had a Singer Chamois; Skoda Rapide; Nissan Bluebird; Vauxhall Cavalier and a Ford Escort with cc’s ranging from 995 to 1.6 and ’Maz’, a 2.0, knocks spots off them all, she is the best car I have ever driven, including a few hired cars, and I have NO intentions of parting company with her. She is a beautifully comfortable and safe car and, unless you’re really stupid or careless, she will stay on the road even if you have to ’stand’ on your brakes - and believe me - she will stop, she is as sure-footed as any cat. I cannot sing her praises enough.

Submitted: 2009-08-26 | ID: 42745

Ron Ashworth, Lancashire

Mazda 626 2002

This is the third 626 that my wife and I have owned. I gave in my company car and converted the second 1996 car to run on LPG. It did 220k before the LPG packed up and it went to auction. My current 626 is an SE Sport, one of the last manufactured in 2002. It is a 5 speed manual with cruise control, traction control and climate control. I bought is for £4400 in 2006 with 29,000 on the clock. It has now done 106k without missing a beat. Keep them serviced properly and they will never let you down. No great street cred - but so what!

Submitted: 2009-02-11 | ID: 42750

John King, England

Mazda 626 1996

This car is amazing. It goes as well today as the day I bought it five years ago. It’s smooth, incredibly comfortable. It’s used every day in heavy London traffic, plus many long journeys to Wales, and also France. It’s done 100,000 miles. Uses virtually no oil. Can it go on forever?!

Submitted: 2008-10-09 | ID: 42751

Christopher Sandercock, Cornwall

Mazda 626 1996

I acquired The Mazda 626 Automatic 2.0 i Executive in 1998. It was an ex-company car. It had done 85,000 miles at that time. It has all the usual refinements including cruise control which seemed a bit surreal when used, in that it would change gear if it dropped below a certain rev. The car now has done 180,000 miles with no major repairs, goes through the MOT with minimal expense - ie light bulbs, tyre etc... The engine goes from one service to the next without requiring oil, amazing. This car is definitely the best car I have ever had and I will be loath to get rid of it finally.

Submitted: 2008-06-30 | ID: 42752

Terry Stewart, Huntingdonshire

Mazda 626 2007

Great family car. Bought mine 3 years ago on a 51 plate and a reasonable amount of milage. It’s taken a fair battering and just keeps on going. Very reliable and inexpensive to run. The only down side is its looks - very boring. Good car if you can get your hands on one in good condition.

Submitted: 2007-10-26 | ID: 42753

• A response has been made to Pim Hermans (17/06/2010 20:29:26)

Renault Megane