Peugeot 106 consumer car reviews and road tests

Peugeot 106 consumer reviews by year of make: 1996  1997  1998  1999  2000  2001  2002  2003

Peugeot 106 consumer car reviews

Nicola, Wiltshire

Peugeot 106 106 DIESEL HATCHBACK 1996 - 2003

We have had the Pug for 12 years with no real problem except it won't start in cold weather. Can anyone help please?

Submitted: 2015-03-01 | ID: 112519

R Peace, Surrey

Peugeot 106 1997

Owned it for just over 14 years, it’s just done over 179,000 miles and still drives like new. It still has the original clutch and I’ve not had to touch or replace anything on suspension and it’s still got great handling and the same starter. Very economical and cheap to run, it starts first time every time and the seats are comfortable. On the down side I re-shimed the exhaust valves about 40,000 miles ago after it became difficult to start in cold weather and after struggling to start produced a blue cloud of smoke. It now starts first every time in the cold and the emission read out at its MOT has gone right down as well. The Pug chews up front brake discs and tyres (Just like any other FWD car would). The alternator failed at 120,000, 3 timing belts were a pig to change in a cramped sardine tin typical FWD engine bay; not very user friendly, rusts from the inside/out had to patch up corrosion inside the boot, but nothing on the outside - very odd! Have very little interest in modern cars as I find them all very dull, so no need to upgrade, I shall continue use this as a ’cheap lowest common denominator of dull’ car for as long as possible. If only you could buy a modern version of a Mk1 Mini, Mk1 Cortina, Mk1 Escort or Mk1 Capri I would buy new again. Modern cars don’t interest me one little bit these days, heading for 200,000 miles soon on this very reliable little Pug, with no need to waste money on another car whatsoever.

Just don't have a crash in it.It,s about as safe as leaving your daughter with Rolf Harris. - from West Midlands

Just because the car doesn't have the ability to totally protect the passengers in a head on collision from 60 mph, doesn't make it unsafe, it just makes it LESS safe...And by what degree. Back in the 70's I threw a Mk2 Cortina 1600 XL round a bend at 90, lost it , spun the car and went sideways into a metal lamp post. Every panel including the roof was damaged and the lamp post went into the side of the front wing far enough to crack the cast iron engine block... I was out of the car, totally uninjured, before it rocked back onto four wheels....Yes, I was wearing a seat belt. There was nothing lucky about the crash, nothing clever about my responses during the crash...every corner got hit, a few years ago a mate spun his brand new 911 on a wet dual carriageway, went through a fence and a fence post came through the windscreen and hit him on the forehead. He was unconscious for 4 days. half an inch lower and the post wouldn't have glanced off his skull but driven straight through. The car had seven airbags and not ONE activated. It cost £50,000 to rebuild the car. it is entirely possible if the car had NOT had an easily broken laminated windscreen, but an old school 'unsafe' toughened glass one, the wooden fence post would not have entered the cabin at all. My point being, I like thousands of others, have thrown cars with at best rudimentary crash protection, crap brakes, cart spring rear suspension, and no internal safety apart from (perhaps) seat belts... And have walked away...Not because we were lucky, but because you have to REALLY crash hard to hurt yourself,or be unlucky, and bad luck is no respecter of safety measures. furthermore 99 times out of a hundred, it's going to be primarily the driver's fault if you DO crash that hard. The difference in crash protection between a 90's car with safety glass, air bags, crumple zones and decent brakes and tyres and a new car with much the same, is, in the real world, not as big as you might think. A lot of it is about enhanced protection to pedestrians these days anyway. The safest car is the one you don't crash, and good tyres, good brakes and a 850 kg kerb weight make for a high grip, highly responsive vehicle which is easier to control in adverse conditions than one weighing as much as 5 large adults more. Modern cars might give you an extra 5 mph of speed before injury, but when they let go, they let go fast, and hit hard....You are more likely to exceed that extra 5mph of impact speed in the new car because the tyres and cabin noise levels give little or no indication of impending disaster...... Yes, I've got a diesel 106, which I drive at speeds commensurate with it's capabilities....And a couple of motorbikes, and shock horror, I've crashed none of them...So far, they've been 100 percent safe, ...Who knew eh? - from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2012-12-02 | ID: 44574

Ciaran M, County Armagh

Peugeot 106 1997

Bought this car in January 2011 with 66,000 Miles on the clock, it had 1 previous owner and still had the plastic over seats from new! It also had the original Peugeot wheeltrims and mudflaps. It has a F.S.H with lots of receipts! Was an absolute steal, got the car with 1 years tax, MOT and a new Cd Player thrown in all for £600! Couldn’t beat it at all. To drive it feels fairly nippy, sticks to the road as if it’s on rails and even though I’m 6’5 I can still sit in it in comfort. Seats are really comfy, you sit fairly low down and there is great access into the back for a 3dr. This is my first car, I had my eye on a few 306’s but this little car made the most sense to buy. Sips petrol and costs next to nothing to maintain. Any learner/new driver should buy a wee 106, though I’d recommend a newer and higher spec, mine hasn’t got an airbag, but I don’t mind since it’s only used for nipping about the city. Great wee cars!!!

Submitted: 2011-06-21 | ID: 44571

Jason C, County Antrim

Peugeot 106 2002

In 2006 I bought a 2002 106 1.1 Zest 3 with only 28k on the clock, it was my first car and I bought it at the age of 17 years old. Today it has 76k on the clock and it has never let me down what so ever! It’s passed all it’s MOT’s, it’s very cheap to fix, looks quite cute, well equppied considering it’s really only a basic city car and also quite good fun to drive! Highly recommended for all new beginner drivers! I wouldn’t be selling my own unless I didn’t need the extra space as my girlfriend and I are having a baby, so I have purchased a nice 2006 307 1.6i 16v SE. Overall a great wee car!

Submitted: 2011-01-28 | ID: 44572

Giorgos Pan, Greece

Peugeot 106 2000

I think this car is one of the best, great value of money. Low running costs and low buying price. I have had it for more than 3 years now, the clock says 190,000km and the small engine looks like it will have no problem running on and on. There have beem some electric problems, the steering is heavy and the gearbox is not the best. The 60 HP full injection engine can hit 165 km/h and it gives you the feel that the car is quicker that it actually is... but it is noisy... it eats 6.1 lt/100km on open road, 7.0 lt/100km on city, with a light foot.

Submitted: 2010-08-02 | ID: 44573

• A response has been made to R Peace (07/02/2016 19:41:40)

• "Hi, I have noticed that my headlights flicker when driving and when using switches like the wipers and the indicators I have had the radio keep cutti..." (Chris, 22/08/2017 22:09:45)
  • "Please can someone tell me where the relay for the tachometer is located on a 2001 106 1.1 petrol engine car...." (Bernard Thompson, 20/08/2017 20:13:45)
  • "Please could anyone explain why after short journeys my radiator needs topping up by as much as a pint of water. There is no leak underneath the car..." (David, 20/04/2017 22:41:58)
  • "Hi. I can't get power to my glow plugs on my 106. I have checked out the relay attached to the radiator filler tank and the relay besides the ECU uni..." (James Oldman, 26/02/2017 18:42:37)
  • "I've got a Peugeot 106 1.1 P reg and the power steering is hard to turn it's got enough power steering fluid n it makes no noise at all ..." (Scott, 07/01/2017 17:48:14)

• John's question has been answered: "Fuel filter is under the passenger or drivers side wing of the car looks like a small silver canister with a pipe at both ends. It is tucked away up a - Chris from Kent' '..." (22/08/2017 22:14:00)
  • David's question has been answered: "If your car also suffers from a poor heater you might have an airlock in the cooling system or a stuck thermostat stopping the circulation of coolant. - Hugh from City of Glasgow' '..." (21/04/2017 18:15:29)

Renault Megane