Peugeot 206 consumer car reviews and road tests

Peugeot 206 consumer reviews by year of make: 1998  1999  2000  2001  2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2010  2011

Peugeot 206 consumer car reviews

Frank Vincent, East Sussex

Peugeot 206 206 COUPE CABRIOLET 2001 - 2007

I have orange engine light on and anti pollution warning. However engine is running fine and emissions are within mot criteria. Economical and more than adequate for running around in.

Submitted: 2017-09-06 | ID: 143497

Paul Duggins, Yorkshire

Peugeot 206 206 COUPE CABRIOLET SPECIAL EDS 2002 - 2004

Just bought a 40,000 mile 2003 2.0 drove it home over 70 miles home , lots of motorway goes like rapid comfy leather great heater and stereo got over 40 mph on a long run .our car looks like brand new even after 14 years so been well looked after let's hope we get many more years out of this little car but with big cabin space .lots on the after market for customising

Submitted: 2017-02-23 | ID: 139149

Nick, West Midlands

Peugeot 206 206 COUPE CABRIOLET 2001 - 2007

4 stars because as we will see not bullet proof but still a great little motor. OK , I was looking for a cheap convertible that had some room behind the driver and passenger seats for a crazy Border Collie to enjoy the top down ride. The 206cc is just about the only modernish small convertible that has this as most others are strictly two seater only. Mine is a metallic pale blue on an 03 plate. Bought it with 60,000 on the clock (not that high for a 13 year old) Loved it, and replaced the cam belt as a precaution. Its top fun and the crazy Collie loved it too. Then the exhaust fell off after a couple of months, the front suspension strut failed, the auxiliary belt failed and most recently the gearbox bearings failed and the clutch got a liberal dose of oil! I'm told that Pug gearboxes are pretty weak and many only get to 50,000 before going wrong. So there's been a few repair bills to contend with. Its not exactly been the cheap set of wheels I intended. I've spent almost as much as the asking price on it but on the plus side I know the thing now and what is good and isn't which if I just gave up and bought another cheap old motor I wouldn't. I'm rather cautious and awaiting the next thing to go wrong now but I guess its 13 years old and so almost getting to classic car status in age if not in actual fact. BUT you know what I still love it. It looks nice to my eyes its a neat little car in the mould of classic open tops. I like the quirky boot handles and ribbed boot lid. I like the interior with its black leather and its pretty nippy even though its only the 1.6. Its a great little design. Not perfect but neat and a bit different from the identikit cars nowadays. The roof still works and even if it fails it can be operated by hand (ok two sets of hands) if you need to in an emergency. I'm a six foot bloke but of an age where I couldn't give a hoot if people think its a girls car. To me its an affordable practical and good looking little open top that has put fun into driving on four wheels that's almost as good (though not quite) as motoring on my usual two wheelers. In short don't expect hassle free motoring at the age these things are now but if you want a bit of fun for not much money and a car that still has good spares availability and won't rot to bits on a driveway like a true old classic would then give these things a look. I've a feeling that one day they will be a true classic in their own right maybe? One of the few affordable little hard top convertibles of the era and genuinely popular in their day.

Submitted: 2016-11-08 | ID: 136543

Nick, West Midlands

Submitted: 2016-10-26 | ID: 136247

Maria Mann, France

Peugeot 206 206 COUPE CABRIOLET 2001 - 2007

I am very unhappy with this car. The roof alarm goes off Willy nilly and sometimes the roof jams either open or shut.

Submitted: 2016-09-16 | ID: 135201

Vanessa, England

Peugeot 206 2006

Learning to drive I had a normal 206 and could not wait to get my hands on the 206cc. One year after passing I got it and I love it!! It has little bugs where the window on the passenger side doesn’t shut properly when the door is opened and closed (quickly rectified by flicking the window button down then back up again). Never had any trouble with the roof and I’ve had the car coming on three years now. It grips the road brilliantly and is really fun to drive. I’m 6ft and it is a small car but I find it comfortable and enjoyable. There’s is no room for someone to sit behind me though. I wouldn’t exactly say it’s a family car and I would technically, for my height anyway, class it as a two seater. As for boot space with the roof down I work with horses and my boot is always cluttered but there’s always room to put the roof down. All in all I’d say it’s an excellent, fun, little car with a bit of a nippy luck when you need it, would recommend it to anyone.

Submitted: 2014-03-24 | ID: 44731

Mark, Herefordshire

Peugeot 206 2005

My wife had one of these for her 40th birthday this year. It’s a 1.6 leather model. Drives quite nice. We have noticed a small leak after heavy rain but it’s litereally a couple of drops of water then it stops. Probably just needs some silicone on the one seal on the driver’s side. Wife absolutly loves this car. We took it from Hereford to Liverpool and back last weekend and it runs sweet as a nut. Although I prefer a car with a bit more room, for her it’s perfect. Just need some decent weather to get the lid down!

Submitted: 2013-12-05 | ID: 44730

William Hankin, Essex

Peugeot 206 2010

If you leave the engine running when you put fuel in, the fuel gauge wont register any increase, even if you turn off and restart. If your door check needs replacing the front is smaller than the rear as ordering 2 front I found out the hard way.

You should NEVER leave your engine running whilst you put fuel in. Every garage you pull in to to re-fuel has signs telling you to TURN OFF ENGINE before you re-fuel. Sorry don't understand comments about 'door checks needing re-placing'. Enlighten us! Steve (possibly looking for a previous user 206 CC here in Cyprus) - from Cyprus

Submitted: 2013-04-28 | ID: 44681

Venessa Anthon, Australia

Peugeot 206 2003

I love my funky little sports car. It’s a 10 year old shiny black gorgeous little thing. I love the way it handles the road at high speeds and turns around corners like it’s on rails. I live in a country town in Australia so the roof rattles sometimes, but if you undo the roof clips while you are driving and do them up again the roof noise stops. I LOVE this car I call her ’Precious’. So many people comment on how lovely she is. I have been asked many times if she is new. The leather seats are awesome and smell delicious. I have two little boys and they fit ok for now. I was thinking of getting a bigger model like the 308cc, but it doesn’t do it for me. Soon I’m going to put Precious in the garage and only use her on weekends.

OMG you need help - scott campbell from Falkirk

Submitted: 2013-04-02 | ID: 44728

Jamie Wheatley, Staffordshire

Peugeot 206 2002

Had a 206 2.0i sports for a few weeks now,being a 2002 car I thought I’d have a few problems the cars just had its 100.000th birthday so I wasn’t expecting to have a car which looks brand new still, it’s in mint condition with not a mark on it and everything works fine. The roof opens and shuts brill, the only time you get a few drops of water in is just after you jet wash or car wash and even then when you open the door just having a tissue handy catches the drips before they fall. I’ve had many cars with unsealed electric windows and all of them had minor drips. It doesn’t drip in bad rainy conditions at all, you will bring 1000% more water in the car on your shoes when you step in. The car goes like a rocket and having the 2.0i engine I expected far less miles than I actually get. Let’s be honest this is not a car you would buy to drive you round the country for work or a long commute every day, you can buy a Golf tdi for that, but if you want to look good and keep cool while you drive the car on weekends and in the summer, for the price you just cannot beat these little pugs. Another good point versus a soft top is that you lose the road noise and can actually hear each other speak and the CD player. Also, regarding the roof, if you read the instructions and oil the hinges and locks regularly you will find it’s still working great after 12 years, like mine.

Hi, I have the same car but its a 10 years old. She is black, her name is Precious. I am as happy as you with the car, it has not got a mark on it and it works awesomely. I just wanted to ask what oil do you put on the roof? - Venessa Anthon from Australia

Submitted: 2013-03-24 | ID: 44726

David Ellis, Sussex

Peugeot 206 2005

Very nice to drive and averages 44 mpg. It has a very handy back window, you can have boot shut and window open; if you had a long carpet to carry home you can shut boot open window and carpet stuck out back. It’s easy to drive, holds the road on corners and the leg room in the back seat is ok for long journeys.

Submitted: 2013-03-09 | ID: 44749

Steven Bulmer, Northumberland

Peugeot 206 2001

Owned this 2001 1.1 LX 206 now for 5 years, I bought it on 66,000 miles from a dealer for £850. I haven’t looked back since. I’ve now managed to rack up to 117,000 miles and haven’t received any problems with the car expect for a few brake pads and tyres. The engine still keeps ticking and the car had never failed an mot. Great little runner, cheap insurance, cheap tax and cheap to fill up. I get 45mpg on average, the car handles smoothly and apart from a bit of a awkward driving position (only really apparent on long journeys) there’s nothing wrong with it. I intend to keep this car until it dies, I love it.

Submitted: 2013-01-28 | ID: 44686

Dr Allan, London

Peugeot 206 2005

A poor car with bad electrics that is poorly built with the most unreliable electric roof I have ever known, which is guaranteed to let you down. I’ve just sold mine for spares for £500 and have now gone back to Mazda.

Submitted: 2013-01-12 | ID: 44725

George Hencken, England

Peugeot 206 2002

As a city dweller I went for the automatic gearbox when I bought my 206 GLX 4 years ago from it’s previous ’one old lady owner’. The car only had 20,000 on the clock, it’s just reached 45,000 and the automatic gearbox has failed. Apparently this is not rare on these cars, but it’s not something I see mentioned in these reviews. I’m gutted, and not a little irritated, especially as it’s cost me upwards of £500 to get through it’s MOT the last couple of years, despite being regularly serviced. It’s also had very annoying electrical issues. The two stars are for the fact that it was fun to drive and looked cute. I won’t EVER buy a Peugeot again.

Submitted: 2012-12-26 | ID: 44687

Paula Elliott, Yorkshire

Peugeot 206 2005

Don’t bother! I just bought one; the window leaks, it has no power and you get 45 miles for a tenners worth of fuel. In my honest opinion this for a 2 grand car is rubbish!

Submitted: 2012-10-22 | ID: 44724

Hafizal Hassan, Brunei Darussalam

Peugeot 206 2005

It’s been two years since I last posted regarding the car. The car shows various signs of wear and tear, although I hadn’t had time to drive it for almost a year due to the stuck hard top. I finally got the time to send it to a local workshop. Apparently the problem of the roof not working is due to a leak in the hydraulic pump. All they had to do was just seal the leak and it’s now fine. Regards :)

Submitted: 2012-09-08 | ID: 44723

D Jones, Isle of Anglesey

Peugeot 206 2003

Had this Peugeot 206 1.4 petrol from new (2003) and it’s been an excellent car over it’s 155K miles. The only major surgery needed was changing the cylinder head gasket on 150K. Being a DIY mechanic I found the car easy to self maintain and fix on most jobs. I did change clutch at 120K, but this was my own fault as I tried to pull a static caravan with the Pug :(. Had LPG fitted ages ago and it delivers 72 mpg on last calculation. The people side of Peugeot have been disappointing. Rude and pushy at times. This is the third Peugeot I have owned together with two Citroens covering roughly 350,000 miles in total. The only thing that ever went ’pop’ were cylinder heads x2, but the mileage was high on both cars. Wish my driving was as good as the cars reliability. Parts are cheap off eBay. I use my cars always to tow trailers without any issue.

Submitted: 2012-09-08 | ID: 44689

Mohinder Sidhu, England

Peugeot 206 2002

I have owned my Peugeot for 10 years from new and have never had any real problems apart from replacing wear and tear items such as brakes, cambelt, clutch and a few bulbs. A good runner that has never let me down, an excellent car. I have only had to ask the AA to come out once in the whole 10 Years, which was my fault as I left the lights on and ran the battery down. The AA told me that I had an excellent battery in my car. I’ve still got the car. I wanted to swap it for a new Peugeot 207, but reviews have been bad due to electrical faults on these cars. I don’t know what to do yet. I can’t fault the Peugeot 206 though, so I may just buy a new Peugeot 206 at the end, again.

Submitted: 2012-05-02 | ID: 44688

Kate, County Antrim

Peugeot 206 2002

I bought this car as an ex-demo from Charles Hurst with only 6000 Miles on it. Today I have 109,000 miles on the clock. Overall this wee car has done the job perfectly, never let me down, well, once, the battery needed replacing, but apart from that it has been grand. I service it every 12000 miles at a local mechanic and it just keeps going without a problem. A few wear and tear parts have been changed such as a bottom pulley and 2 shock absorbers. For a small car it’s pretty well equipped; electric windows/mirrors, CD player, air con, auto wipers etc. Running costs aren’t too bad, 48 Mpg according to the trip computer, the engine is fairly nippy and loves to rev. I can safely say to anyone thinking of a 206, they are a great wee buy as long as they have been well maintained and taken care of! My husband bought a 2004 1.4 HDi, which he hasn’t a bad word to say about, though it’s only got 70000 miles on it! :-)

Submitted: 2012-03-02 | ID: 44683

K C, Devon

Peugeot 206 2003

One of the worst cars I have ever purchased. A waste of £3,500. I bought it with 42,000K in Oct 2009. It now has 68,000K now so it has low mileage for a 9 year old. Yet in that time I have spent at least £3,000 on major problems like head gasket, timing belt (should have been changed at 80,000, but went before I got to 55,000 miles), anti-roll bars and pins, radiator, rear axle passenger side bush and now the driver’s side is going too. It looks good and is nippy, but be warned it’s thirsty, even for a 1.4, and I have noticed the insurance seems to be higher than most cars, and I have been driving for 25yrs with 8yrs no claims or convictions. Stay away from these cars.

Well said mate, I couldn't agree with you more. These cars are rubbish and should not be allowed out of France. I bought the 1.4SW and after 5 mins of buying this pile of junk from the garage it had major problems. I managed to get it back to the garage in limp mode to be told it had a hole in the exhaust, but that doesn't make the bottom half of an engine shake or misfire. Three weeks later I noticed it was using 4 expansion tanks of water a day and once again took it back as I had a week`s warranty left and told them the head gasket was away. Problem after problem with it and now the wiper just stopped working. - scott campbell from Falkirk

Submitted: 2012-02-19 | ID: 44682

Fernando Pereira, Brazil

Peugeot 206 2004

I’ve had my 206 CC for one year now. This is a great looking car, with a design just ahead ofits time, so even today the design seduces most people. The cost, for what it offers is good. People will say that there is little room for people in the back seat, but if you have a slk 200k or a BMW z4 there’s no seat in the back at all! With the Peugeot at least you still can put 2 children in the back or two adults of average height, if the roof is opened. Acceleration is not a strong point compared to other cabriolets, but so what? This isn’t an issue with so much traffic in the city. I’m happy with mine because it’s so different in design from a conventional car, also because it’s cabrio and is comfortable. The only bad point I would have to say is more frequent visits to the garage than a normal car, which can be costly.

Submitted: 2011-12-20 | ID: 44729

Robert Heeley, England

Peugeot 206 2005

I’ve become a Peugeot fan having previously owned a 406 saloon and 406 estate and now a 206 SW HDI. This 206 had done 88,000 miles when I bought it. It is economical in the extreme, regularly doing well over 600 miles to the tank of 50 litres. Tax is £35 year and insurance bottom rate. I have just changed the cam belt without any difficulty except the accessory belt tensioner which is frankly dangerous to reload as one cannot turn it in the car without maybe some special tool. Don’t believe the Haynes manual about turning it with an open spanner. When the pin is inserted to hold the tension whilst the belt is relocated you will be lucky to get it out again. I had to grind the thread off a 5mm bolt to fit the holes and fit a nut and washer to withdraw the bolt after locating the belt. I have other tips too if anyone wants to have a go.

Submitted: 2011-11-07 | ID: 44748

Mark White, England

Peugeot 206 2002

I love my Pug: I’m the second owner on a 52 plate. The car has passed every mot first time and has never let me down once !!! I cannot find a fault with this car. I have the diesel HDI 2ltr,which is a powerful, tought little car and the best car I’ve ever had!

Submitted: 2011-10-17 | ID: 44684

Patrick Linden, Conwy

Peugeot 206 2007

I love my little 5 door Hatch. It has lots of spec, is great on the road and quick for a 1.4. No mechanical problems at all. It seems to have its critics, but if you are thinking of buying the 206 it is a great buy and way better than the 207. Take one for a test drive then you will see how good it is, but avoid the base model, the 1.4 Look is a cracking choice!!

Submitted: 2011-09-05 | ID: 44685

L Thorpe, England

Peugeot 206 2010

Fantastic little car. The only bad point is it’s very small in the back; I have one 12 year old child and it’s bit tight but he loves it too. They look and drive great. Buy one now.

Submitted: 2011-07-06 | ID: 44714

Ehsan, Iran

Peugeot 206 2011

I bought a new 1.6 litre 16v Peugeot. I like this car because of its low price and high performance. I have had no problems with this car.

Submitted: 2011-07-03 | ID: 44680

Terry Dixon, Lincolnshire

Peugeot 206 2003

Having just bought the car 2 weeks ago the first thing to go wrong was the fuel reading, I filled the tank to the top and I could see the fuel in the filler cap hole but the gauge stayed on 3/4 full, it never moved. The second problem I have now is with the drop arm anti roll bar linked to the n/s/f lower ball joint is knocking so I have just ordered 2 to do both sides the car has only done 54 k from new. My only niggle is the road noise after 30 mph is too bad to hear the radio and the faster you go the worse it gets, it’s as if the wheel bearing have all gone but they are ok. My other niggle is my size 11 feet with my left foot on the clutch, it hits the steering wheel rod as it goes through the floor to the rack, I hit my toe on it every time. All in all very good on fuel for a 13.60 engine and very powerful, the car goes round corners as if you’re on a go cart track, very smooth. The other problem is the rear seats, you have to take the lower rear seats out to get the rear back seat down to make it flat then you have know where to put the lower seats, poor build no thought gone in to this at all. A big come down from my Mondeo 1.8 verona; better on fuel, but more on insurance. For a smaller car that’s no good at all. I think that’s enough for now, phew!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-05-13 | ID: 44675

Paul Sadler, Carmarthenshire

Peugeot 206 2002

We got a 206cc 2litre for my wife 18months ago - she absolutely loves it! Like others have had some small leakage in very heavy rain and several erroneous fault warnings (don’t think the faults it’s showing are necessarily right the problem can often be minor or simply sensor problems) so check on the forums if you get an electrical problem before rushing off to a garage. Although we have 2 kids at uni it looks like we have another baby now the way this car is cosetted! I find the ride rather firm but I can’t speak to the handling as I’m not allowed to drive it. By the way, we’re now looking for a 1.6 version for our daughter - so that should tell you something!

Submitted: 2011-04-10 | ID: 44722

Si Murphy, Sussex

Peugeot 206 2001

Bought in 2003 with 11,000 on the clock. Now nearly 10 years old with almost 70,000 miles covered. Hardly been looked after, serviced maybe every 18 months and has never let me down yet ...touch wood. Only repairs have been consumables, 2 exhausts, maybe 8 tyres and front and rear brake pads. Been a great car, but due to work am buying a diesel estate, however 206 will be staying in the family, just too good to let go. Only criticisms would be; driving position isn’t that comfortable on long journeys (mind I am 6ft) and as someone else said....watch those swinging doors!

Submitted: 2011-03-05 | ID: 44676

Steph Dawson, England

Peugeot 206 2003

I loved my CC. I had no end of problems with the leaking roof so within the year I’d sold it and bought a new one. This one had: Leaking roof, chair stuck, broken cd player, so sold that too

Submitted: 2011-02-12 | ID: 44721

Bob Jones, Wales

Peugeot 206 2000

Had this car from new, done 100,000 and only had disks and pads changed. Oil and filter every 10,000. Not a day’s trouble.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-01-08 | ID: 44677

Geraldine Carrigan, Ireland

Peugeot 206 2002

Had from new. Love it. Good on fuel, cheap to maintain. Have done over 100,000 miles. Would recommend to all.

Submitted: 2010-08-22 | ID: 44679

Chardonnay, England

Peugeot 206 2005

I wish I had never bought this car, the hood stopped working the day after I bought it, windows leak, cd player doesn’t work, auto aircon is rubbish, electric mirrors faulty, remote locking doesn’t lock, even when I got the roof repaired at my own expense it made a beeping noise constantly when I drove with the roof up. It has to go.

Wow... sounds like a bad dream. Did you buy it from a second hand car dealer? - Hafizal Hassan from Brunei Darussalam

I did buy the car from a second hand car dealer but I paid top whack for it. The garage said that my warranty did not cover any of the problems that were occuring with the car. I still have it and it has now been repaired and is working perfectly but I still do not want it anymore - from England

I’ve got a problem with the hood, it went down and won’t go up. Any ideas? Thanks - David Troops from Yorkshire

Same, my roof won’t come up. Any ideas anyone? Please help me - Foulla Donnelly from Hertfordshire

The beeping noise is the radio, it needs to be professionally installed. - This can happen when the battery dies – Garnet99 from England

Submitted: 2010-07-17 | ID: 44715

Laura Iredale, Gloucestershire

Peugeot 206 1999

I bought this car 4 months ago and was really happy with my purchase as it looked smart and was very tidy, until one month later... The head gasket went which luckly it was still under waranty with the garage; occasionaly it would break down. Then last week for no reason the engine burst into flames, writing off the car :(. The head gasket has also gone on two of my friend’s cars so we have all decided to keep well clear of them from now on!!!

Submitted: 2010-07-16 | ID: 44678

Christine Topp, Nottinghamshire

Peugeot 206 2006

I’ve had my Peugeot 206cc 2 months now and have noticed a differance when driving with the roof down, it is juddery making the steering wheel and mirrow shake. It is 06 reg, been in garage under warranty and been told that there is nothing wrong and this is how it should be. Has anyone had this problem? I feel I’m being fobbed off.

Yes it is called scuttleshake, all convertibles have this, however, some more than others depending on build quality - from Cheshire

Submitted: 2010-06-07 | ID: 44704

Hafizal Hassan, Brunei Darussalam

Peugeot 206 2005

I’ve had this car for 5 years and it’s super awesome. Although now I need to change some parts, but hey it’s all good and it’s only natural wear and tear :S Now I’ve replaced the spring with lowered KINGPIN spring (medium-hard) and it’s much better!

Submitted: 2010-06-04 | ID: 44706

Mike Wilson, County Down

Peugeot 206 2005

Great car, almost the best driving fun you can have with your clothes on. Stiff suspension and short wheelbase equals going round bends and corners as if on rails. I’ve had mine for 5 years and have traded up to the 307CC on retirement. Yes, occasionally I’ve had a minor, short lived leak in v.wet weather but hey, it’s a cabriolet. Nothing’s gone wrong, nothing broke, despite my driving. The heater works great on sunny days with the temperature at -2C, makes you feel alive. Hope this review balances the bad ones. Go on, forget the "hairdressers car" taunts and get one, It’s FUN!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-05-09 | ID: 44703

KC, Devon

Peugeot 206 2006

I bought my low milage 206 in oct of 2009, must admit the best car that I have ever had. It’s very nippy, for a 1.4lx, but the downside is its thirsty on petrol, even though I drive sensibly. Comfort on the motorway as I do drive up north every 5 - 6 weeks. Another problem seems to be that oil deposits are found under the engine, and nothing seems to be leaking, no oil or gearbox oil, etc. I guess the newer models have much improvement?

Check that the sump is not porous - that was what was up with my sons 2001 206. Replaced the sump and it was fine - John McGlone from Lanarkshire

I am looking at buying a 2006/206; 70km on dial, loaded. When you say the car is thirsty on mileage, what exactly is the mileage you get? From what I have been able to find online, the 1.4 l engine gets around 45 mpg. or 12 km/l. Thanks for responding - Steve Benak from Brazil

Submitted: 2010-04-22 | ID: 44667

Kall, Devon

Peugeot 206 2003

Bought my Peugeot 206 1.4lx 6 months ago, very nippy compared to my 1.4 Rover I had, love driving it, but have noticed oil at the bottom of the engine, though the oil level has hardly moved, no blue smoke or water in oil, so can’t be the gasket, any idea’s or have I just wasted £3500? Only have 48,000 genuine miles on clock, worried!!

Submitted: 2010-04-12 | ID: 44701

Gerald Pantanella, Bedfordshire

Peugeot 206 2001

Bought my 206cc new and have done 300 thousand km. It’s got a gas conversion; goes great even now with a high km, shame they never made a special one for Italy who have very bad roads where you get a complete massage as you drive. Other then that, the roof doesn’t open it gets stuck half way.

Submitted: 2010-03-22 | ID: 44702

Naji Pooh Poohee, England

Peugeot 206 2003

I got this car and my dreams came true. I love this car so much but it is a shame that it isn’t a female otherwise I would get married to it. That’s all. thanks for reading.

Submitted: 2010-02-27 | ID: 44670

Reece Hutchinson, County Londonderry

Peugeot 206 2003

Hi, I bought my 206 1.4 HDi LX in late 2003 brand new and its has been fabulous to own, Excellent reliability and fantastic fuel economy. Plus the £35 per year tax is a huge bonus. I have over 130000 Miles on it and all I have had to do is change the T/Belt and service it regulary. One suggestion I would make is that if you hear a knocking noise from the area around the wheels it a drop link arm, they are cheap (£7) and easy to fix. The main cause is speed ramps, I hav 8 ramps to drive over to get to my housing development, just think how many times the car has been over them (Roughly 4 times a day) and the front one started to rattle recently, they have lasted nearly 7 years!! This is a great car for first time drivers and anybody who is thinking of changing their bigger cars for something smaller or newer. I’m not planning on changing anytime soon, i’ll drive the car into the ground before I get rid!! Will definately be buying the 207 in the near future

Submitted: 2010-02-24 | ID: 44671

Sarah Whittington, England

Peugeot 206 2007

Cheap comfortable little runaround, ideal for students, cheap on petrol, smooth drive, safe!

Submitted: 2010-02-21 | ID: 44673

Trell Baynham, Australia

Peugeot 206 2005

I am in love with this car and am dreading the day it gets old, a bit expensive to service but I wouldn’t drive anything else.

Submitted: 2010-02-19 | ID: 44700

Emma Wolski, Sussex

Peugeot 206 2002

Been good to me for 7 years!! Not much work has had to be done but my top tips include: Careful when windy as the doors swing wide open! (I had to have a new door!). Also I accidently left my window open and the inside froze, I now have a problem with steaming up and cannot dry the car out, lol!!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-02-19 | ID: 44672

Kathy Cakebread, Kent

Peugeot 206 1998

I bought the Peugeot 206 ’98 edition from a car sales room in November last year. It looked really nice and I didn’t think it was as old as it is just by looking at it, showing how lovely and cared for it had been! The car had done a lot of miles but according to its service history had had its cambelt done at 100,000 miles so it didn’t seem a problem. The car is a 1.6 sport edition so is quite a speedy little number and picks up speed reasonably quickly. There is one issue with it regarding it failing to start at all sometimes, but that’s nothing a slamming of the door can’t solve. Bit of a nuisance really but it’s not so bad the car won’t start at all.. or eventually. The Peugeots are known to fall apart eventually but this car is 12 years old and nothings fallen off yet! Although the inside door panelling on the left seems to be a little loose and it looks like the pegs have popped out. The seats are comfortable and easy to adjust and the heater works really well, perfect for them cold, nippy days! It also has a sunroof, which I’ve not had the chance to test out yet, obviously, I’ve accidentally pressed the button a few times however and it hasn’t done anything so not really sure if it works. All in all not bad for a starter car, although it can be a killer on petrol!

Submitted: 2010-02-16 | ID: 44674

Keith, Lancashire

Peugeot 206 2004

This car is bomb proof, I’ve covered over 150000 miles and she goes like the day I got her. I can safely recommend these to first time buyers because it’s cheap to run (Group 4 ins, £35 tax) and it hardly uses any diesel. Fantastic little car.

Submitted: 2010-01-24 | ID: 44666

Jen, Somerset

Peugeot 206 2005

I have had my Peugeot 206 cc for nearly 5 years from brand new and have only had one problem with driver side door/window. However, since the fault was identified things have been fine.

I have recently bought a second hand 55 plate 206cc and have a problem with driver door - it doesn’t always close first time, it jumps back out?! Any one know what’s causing this anything to do with seals? No leaks that I know of - yet! - from Scotland

Submitted: 2010-01-16 | ID: 44707

John Maton, Wiltshire

Peugeot 206 2006

I love my silver 206cc notwithstanding heavy steering, bumpy suspension and occasional leaks in very heavy rain. Very comfortable drive. I bought a spare wheel just in case ! Don’t trust sealant aerosols !

My 206 is a nippy little thing but niggles do occur. I need to replace the front o/side main bulb and that means removing the neck of the windscreen water container, have you had to do that? If so how, what tools did you use? This is usually a simple job but it’s got me twichy. Your help would be appreciated - Ian Shanes from Scotland

Well, you actually have to remove water container’s neck to replace your bulb. That’s why it’s removable :). No tools needed. There’s very little space to operate - flexibility is your friend - from Poland

Submitted: 2009-11-19 | ID: 44709

Paul, Northamptonshire

Peugeot 206 2008

Bought mine; a 206 hdi diesel in October 2008, so far not had a problem engine wise but it’s very noisy on the road surface and the brakes sound like a traction engine when you slow down using them. The garage say it’s the hard type of pad, since they got rid of asbestos which you can longer buy. Also the suspension creaks getting in and out of the car. Sadly I’m stuck with the car which I have another 4 years to pay off and the garage I got it from second hand went bust in February. I can’t say I will ever buy a Peugeot again; today I found that the water bottle has a split in it... enough said.

Submitted: 2009-09-21 | ID: 44665

Helen Hamilton, Durham

Peugeot 206 2003

I have had my baby for just over a year now. Yes, the driver side leaks in from the roof, but a small price to pay (don’t all convertibles leak? My Grand Vitara used to be like a pond!). The only real quarm I have is the clutch, I’ve stalled this car more times in a year than I’ve had hot dinners, the biting point is never really there and before you know it its stalled! I just can’t get the hang of it, never ever had problems like this before and as my driving instructor used to save "give it some gas" which is what I always have to do! Maybe it needs looking at, it is a bit stiff and also the car judders terribly in 1st gear like it’s about to stall and needs more gas. So if anyone has any advice please let me know! But it is nice in Summer!!!!

Hi, in response to your juddering and stalling my wife’s 206 gti is the same and after putting it to the garage we were told that it is the rear engine mounting, which is weak - Iain Harnden from Hampshire

Submitted: 2009-08-04 | ID: 44712

Sam, England

Peugeot 206 2004

I foolishly purchased this car based on looks alone in 2006. Within six months the car had fell to bits, the car would cut out and die on me far too often, then the gear stick would not go into reverse so I went into the garage to be fixed and when I got it back the stick came out in my hand! The back window leaked, when that was fixed they scratched the boot. When I had the car back all the badges fell off the boot. This was the final straw for me so I got rid of the 206 & got a C2 (which was a heap of crap) now have a Grande Punto & much much happier :)

Ha,ha, prepare to experience a bad car! A neighbour used to have a Grande Punto Sporting and it was an awful car. It was in the dealers more then on his drive way! I recommended to him a 207 like my own and he’s never looked back - from Northern Ireland

Sounds like it was your garage that let you down...not the car - from England

Submitted: 2009-08-03 | ID: 44662

Becca, England

Peugeot 206 2002

I love this car - have had it for 2 years. I passed my test and bought an MG F which I hated and only kept for 3 weeks before buying the 206cc. After driving the MG this felt like a tank. I’ve never had anything go wrong (touch wood) and only just had the cam belt replaced at 80,000 (just as a precaution). Easy to park, easy to drive , GREAT fuel consumption, Cornwall to London (and all around town for a couple of days) on a full tank - Beats british rail prices at any rate. Never had leaky windows.

Submitted: 2009-07-06 | ID: 44742

Paul Robert, England

Peugeot 206 2002

I can’t fault my 206. On interior and styling it is immaculate for its age and has only done 57k miles from new. However road noise is so loud on motorways and it knocks and bangs really bad on rough road surfaces that makes the drive uncomfortable. Had it in the garage and they say there is nothing wrong with it???

You said you couldn't fault it then gave it 2 stars and listed its faults... - from Kent

Submitted: 2009-06-22 | ID: 44693

John Laird, Stirlingshire

Peugeot 206 2002

Have now done over 115k and have not had any major problems apart from normal wear. Drop links and ball joints need replacement on a regular basis but this could be the terrible roads I drive on. Very reliable, economical and practical too. I like the open-able boot window which gives access to an ample boot for a small estate car. Have it serviced regularly to keep the HDi engine running smoothly.

Submitted: 2009-06-08 | ID: 44750

Sara Saint, Warwickshire

Peugeot 206 2006

I have had my 2001 reg 206cc for 3 years now and not had a days trouble with it. No leaking windows, no trouble with the hood. I have the automatic and find it really nippy and a joy to ride.

Hi . I am interested in an AUTOMATIC PEUGEOT 206 , 2006 . Do you find your automatic car expensive on Petrol running costs ? How about the cost of spare parts .Thank you - Foteini Dimitriadou from Greece

Submitted: 2009-05-15 | ID: 44741

HT, England

Peugeot 206 2004

Whilst the car looks good, especially with the roof down, not that impressed overall. I’ve found it quite noisy on the motorway, and seats are very uncomfortable on long journeys. Electrics have now gone 3 times!!!! Costly! As others have said - leaky windows - when you open the door on a wet day, get your leg out the way or you will have a pool of water land on it. I quite enjoyed the car at first, but these niggles/problems have now made me think about moving on...

Submitted: 2009-04-21 | ID: 44746

Sue, Kent

Peugeot 206 2003

I bought a 2003 Peugeot 206 cc yesterday. On the way home from the dealer the accelerator stuck down to the floor. Luckily I was on a fairly clear road and somehow managed to drive along keeping the car under control with the brake on - then the accelerator released itself with a definite pinging noise. I am scared to drive it now. I had noticed and commented on the carpet on the drivers side because it was loose around the door - I now believe the car was sold to me knowing it had this dangerous problem. I need to get to work so what do I do - drive this car and hope the problem doesn’t happen or run the gauntlet of taking it back to the dealer and risk trouble at work. Great. I was so excited about having a ’new’ car. Variant: . Year Of Make: 2003

Submitted: 2009-04-07 | ID: 44747

Simon Greaves, England

Peugeot 206 2004

If you have driven an MX-5 you will know what an appalling car this is. Yes, it has an electronic roof, windscreen sensors, automatic lights and the list goes on. It is a typical French car, spongy to drive and no pleasure at all. It’s top speed on the 2.0i is 126mph - yeah right - make that 115 at best. It drives like a bag of spanners. Smart to look at and does have some redeeming features .I went from an old 1.8 MX5 to this and regretted it. Now back in a new MX5. I never had a smile on my face with the Peugeot but with the MX5 it returned quickly. Ah bliss again and I am enjoying those country roads.

Hi Simon - I went from a Peugeot 206 GLX to an MX-5 and they can’t really be compared; of course the MX-5 is much more fun and it’s in a different league. I had my 206 from 24k up until around 75k and although I do look back with a certain amount of fondness, there were a couple of things that annoyed me. It went through exhausts like no tomorrow; 2 back-boxes, 1 back-box and middle and one new cat, all in the space of 3 years. Towards the end, I started getting erratic idling and other ECU related problems, and the central locking became unreliable. As ’new cam-belt time’ was also fast approaching, I decided to bring forward slightly my dream of having an MX-5 because it was looking like I was going to be spending over £1,000 in total to sort all the little problems out. So MX-5 it was! I still think the 206 is a decent car though, but you need a fair amount of ’luck’ with them as the model does seem to be blighted with problems that shouldn’t occur as early as they do - Steve Perry from Somerset

Submitted: 2009-03-30 | ID: 44744

Derrick Austin, Hampshire

Peugeot 206 2004

Great little car - quite a hard ride, but very positive. Roof is fantastic and even down there is quite a bit of room in the boot. One main problem is that if you have a flat tyre, although you get a wheel brace, you don’t get a jack !! - which makes life a but difficult even if you have bought a spare wheel. They give you cans of tyre repair to get you to safety, but once these are used the tyres are finished (or so I am told). I had an interesting conversation with my dealer when I ask what the wheel brace was for and he said ’to undo the wheel nuts’ to which I responded ’and then what - without a jack’. Be warned and buy yourself a Peugeot jack when you buy this car.

Submitted: 2009-03-19 | ID: 44743

Marilyn Francis, Kent

Peugeot 206 2002

I am having problems buying a child car seat for my car (granddaughter 14 months old) which one is the correct one for my car...

Hello, did you find what was the best seat for your granddaughter? I am looking for a seat to fit mine and unsure of what one to get - Joanne Silk-Smith from Cheshire

Submitted: 2009-02-26 | ID: 44691

Adam Hamilton-Paulley, Oxfordshire

Peugeot 206 2001

Hi there guys, can you please tell me why you have not got the Peugeot 206 GTI in your road tests???? I have one, its a 2001 and it would be nice to see a road test on it.

Submitted: 2009-02-10 | ID: 44690

Liz Stewart, East Lothian (Haddingtonshire)

Peugeot 206 2003

I adore my 206 - wouldn’t replace it for the world - £35 a YEAR for the tax, sailed through its MOT, and for a small car it’s really nippy and so pretty - fuel economy is amazing - even compared to the 1.3 fiesta I gave up for it. Love it, highly recommended!

Submitted: 2008-10-27 | ID: 44696

Debbie Goldie, Yorkshire

Peugeot 206 2003

Just bought my 206cc on the 9th sept 08 and fell in love with it. Have noticed though, the bumpy feel when driving and manual says nothing about tyre pressure so have been on forum to that find out and saw lots more things to be aware of. Must say I am a little nervous now but she is a great buy for 03 plate and only 24,000 on clock. No fear of roof failing cos there’s no descent weather so I can put roof down. Definately a woman’s car. Small and compact and nippy.

Submitted: 2008-09-18 | ID: 44734

Sheila, East Lothian (Haddingtonshire)

Peugeot 206 2006

Delighted with this car. Very nice to drive. Lovely leather seats. Fuel consumption excellent as is road tax and insurance band. Only negative thing I would say is no spare wheel as you get an aerosol canister to pump up tyre to get you to a garage. This will be fun when I get a puncture.

Submitted: 2008-08-06 | ID: 44733

Kay Walker, Essex

Peugeot 206 2001

The roof on the car worked fine when purchased and continued doing so for a further two weeks and then it decided to stay stuck in the open position!! A complicated and intensely frustrating manual closing technique was followed! Forty quid just for Peugeot to look at it and a quote ( I kid you not) of �1300 to fix the roof....but the silly sales guy showed me how to open and close it manually, taking about ten seconds! So until I have a few grand spare, this is the way I have to enjoy the summer motoring! Beware!! don’t even get me started on the leaking windows......

Hi, Any chance of telling how to close the roof manually? It keeps happening to me and I dearnt open it now - from Lancashire

Know the feeling, the roof would not open repaired, faulty wire £40+. Roof stayed down, another trip to garage £70. Now boot will not close with roof down, have been quoted another £250 for new sensor and labour. I thought these roofs were suppose to open and close 1000’s of times and be a trouble free experience? Nice car but now becoming expensive, I doubt if I will recommend one to anyone... - Malcolm Lobb from Cornwall

I’ve had my 206cc 1600 since 2002. Last week the roof stayed open halfway and I tried to open in entirely using the button. It opened but the hood didn’t lock. I left it open in a garage and the next day I closed it as if nothing had happened. I took the car to the official dealer where they replaced a small rubber band on the left side under a screw. I paid 30 euros and the roof works fine. Don’t believe everything they tell you. The mechanism is quite reliable and it hardly ever needs so extensive a repair as 1000 pounds - from Greece

I’m about to buy a 2006 206CC and Peugot’s are not a common car down here. So how can I manually open or close the roof? Dealers are few and far between and they are usually multi franchise set-ups, so I’m a little worried about servicing. The roof? I was waffling sorry. The roof? - Stephen King from Australia

Submitted: 2008-07-31 | ID: 44736

Karl Weetman, Yorkshire

Peugeot 206 2004

Second 206cc owned. Car covered just 15000 from new. Already had internal oil leak fixed under warranty, new roof sensor and new middle and rear box, and just about needing 2 front tyres. Worst of all, at 14000 miles had to have new cam followers fitted out of warranty - £900 dealer price. Car looks great and no roof problems but sounds rough, handles poorly (heavy steering) and has a tendency to show no oil when in fact the dipstick is full!

Submitted: 2008-07-14 | ID: 44735

Daniel Pickering, Lancashire

Peugeot 206 2001

I have just got a 206 after previously driving a Zafira. The reason for getting the 206 was the fuel economy which is really fantastic, ten pounds worth of diesel has taken me to places that would have cost twenty five, thirty quid in the other car. My main worry with having a young family was space but yet again; pleasantly surprised, two child seats in the back; no worries and there is room for a child in between them. The drive is excellent and, more importantly, fun. Great extras i.e cd multichanger and climate control. Cannot recommend highly enough get one!

Submitted: 2008-05-27 | ID: 44694

S Frost, Suffolk

Peugeot 206 1999

I used to be loyal to Ford, but not since I got my Peugeot 206 Roland Garros in 2001 for £6k. I have it serviced regularly, and it's nippy, reliable and still going strong. I've had a few small parts replaced that have worn out. It's done just over 90,000 miles and I do around 10,000 miles a year, including driving on dual carriageways to get to work and back. The climate controlled aircon works a treat, the petrol consumption is around 40 - 50mpg. It corners better than the Ford Puma, and unlike Ford, extras (like aluminum wheels, aircon, 6 x CD stack in the boot with the control at your fingertips on a stalk by the steering wheel) came included in the price (and it was still cheaper than the Puma). DOWNSIDES: 1) I hate the intermittent automatic windscreen wipe that seems not to turn on when you need it, and go bonkers when you don't need it. Ford's intermittent wiper control was much better. 2) I am averagely tall (5 ft 8 inches) and when the sun visor is down, visibility is severely restricted. 3) There is no windscreen demister (like you have on the rear windscreens on most cars) - you have to rely on the blower. 4) It has occasional phases where it kangaroos for seemingly no reason at all.

Submitted: 2008-05-06 | ID: 44695

Jenny Charlton, Sussex

Peugeot 206 2001

We bought this car for our 19 year old who was desperate to own a Peugeot 206 (we couldn’t afford the huge extra cost of the new shaped mini which is what he would have preferred! This car has taken a real beating, it has been hammered over road humps, parked in places you wouldn’t want to leave a more valuable car and generally done pretty well considering its main driver is now a hefty 18 stones and 6.4 inches tall; not quite the size the car was designed for. It was walloped in the back when we’d juts got it, and the car stood up amazingly well compared to the BMW that drove into the back of it. This confirmed our opinion that although it was cheaper to kit out an 18 year old with a banger, buying a newer car with good safety features was well worth the money. Our family cars are a top of the range SAAB and top of the range Jaguar but to be honest, leaving aside the mess ( which is nothing to do with the manufacturer, I enjoy driving the 206 just as much as the other two and compared to them the fuel economy is excellent. Its now done over 40,000 (it had 10,000 when we bought it) and in that time the only major thing that has needed adjusted was the steering propellers and double replacement of all four tyres ... but we believe that’s largely down to the fact our son was living in a road with vicious speed humps. So this car has been driven pretty hard and stood up well.

Submitted: 2008-03-11 | ID: 44699

Fraser Oliver, Perthshire

Peugeot 206 2006

This is the best supermini estate, far better in my opinion than the Skodia Fabia. If it’s an economical drive that you’re looking for then the diesel is the only choice.

Submitted: 2007-10-31 | ID: 44751

Jamie Spencer, Cheshire

Peugeot 206 2007

If you are going to get a 206 in diesel form then it has to be the Hdi turbo diesel!! It’s great to drive, swift and economical and whilst you may think you have saved money by buying or leasing the standard non-turbo 1.9D life is just too short to be honest.

Submitted: 2007-09-18 | ID: 44697

Ian Burt, Essex

Peugeot 206 2007

I’ve had my 206 since October last year and I’ve really enjoyed driving it, but I’m not sure when the time comes that I’d buy another. My main gripe is the noise it produces when going in excess of 60mph – very loud! Other than that it is a good car and I can’t fault its reliability.

Submitted: 2007-09-05 | ID: 44698

Corrine Whittle, Leicestershire

Peugeot 206 2007

LEAKY WINDOWS! That’s all I’m going to say about this car.

Submitted: 2007-09-05 | ID: 44732

• A response has been made to Sara Saint (23/08/2016 18:41:11)
  • A response has been made to Paul Robert (24/11/2014 00:49:30)

• "Hi my Peugeot 206 1.9 diesel won't start .its giving the afect of a dying battery .engine turning over verry slightly . I've put a fully charged bate..." (wayne brady, 19/09/2017 20:08:32)
  • "light on dash diagnostic came up p0400 and p0402 changed the solanoid but heard the egr valve had to get to will it be the egr also disconnected pipe..." (jane riley , 19/09/2017 15:25:13)
  • "My car Peugeot 206 2ltr petrol manuel, engine sounds perfect, it looks perfect, everything about it is perfect. Oil and water etc all goog, very good..." (Maz, 04/09/2017 11:30:00)
  • "Replaced reservoir and pump , and it still won't work, pump has been tested and it works fine, but will not pump water up to window washer when fitte..." (Barbara, 01/09/2017 18:53:33)
  • "Hi. I drove my car the whole day,but my son put the gear in 2nd after we got home. So when i started it the car jumped and then after that my dash li..." (Yazeed, 20/08/2017 11:04:29)

• Barbara's question has been answered: "If the pump works OK on a bench test but will not work on the car then you have a wiring problem or fuse gone. If the pump is running when fitted to t - Hugh from City of Glasgow' '..." (01/09/2017 21:11:23)
  • Paul Routley 's question has been answered: "It's Common problem! Simply shift your automatic gear stick from parking to D and to parking again and start the car. If it does not start try it twic - Sadique from United Arab Emirates' '..." (25/07/2017 05:46:45)

Renault Megane