Peugeot 306 consumer car reviews and road tests

Peugeot 306 consumer reviews by year of make: 1994  1997  1998  1999  2000  2001  2006  2007  2008

Peugeot 306 consumer car reviews

Martin Roberts, Cambridgeshire

Peugeot 306 306 ESTATE SPECIAL EDS 1998 - 2000

Got give this 1.8 16'v 5yesrs ago got saved from scrappaged its done 155585 miles I have put nearly 60000 in her. Have had 2 cambelt changes with waterpumps serviced every 6000miles. On 2nd set of used tyres also new alternator startermotor rear exhaust and petrol pipe . Handling 1st class the engine still pulling sharp. Good comfortable car with another interior purchased 2nd hand as the seats were worn out returns 40mpg I its had a replacement rear axle 2nd hand. Good car great fun

Submitted: 2016-12-28 | ID: 137649

Ben, Surrey

Peugeot 306 306 DIESEL HATCHBACK 1997 - 2001

Excellent Motor!!! Brought as a runaround a couple of months back had 250,000 miles on it mainly for my commute to work and a spare car for myself and my partner due to work. Cost £200. I was very surprised at the way it handled and drove and the fact everything was actually working including the AC and the engine does not burn any oil water etc!!!!. I have now decided I am going to keep it for a few years :). Put a couple of thousand miles on it already. Changed all fluids , cam belt and all filters and new cam pulley :) did all the work myself so labour was not an issue.. I love it its a great little car returns about 60 mpg too!!!! and it's comfy I thought it would be a shame to run it to the ground.

Submitted: 2016-06-08 | ID: 132459

Steve, Cornwall

Peugeot 306 306 DIESEL HATCHBACK 1997 - 2001

I bought this baby in metallic china blue pearl in 2007 with 120,000 miles on the clock for £1450. I still have it and the mileage is 250,000!! What a great looking, great handling and fast but economical machine. Apart from standard service stuff, in all this time it has needed a replacement air flow meter, front shocks and springs, new front anti roll bar bushes and a rear axle which spread over 8 years works out not that much when you consider depreciation on new vehicles alone. The HDI diesel engine is still super quiet and seems to get more urgent as the miles rack up. I can honestly say I have no idea as to what I would replace her with today?? I am very untrusting of modern cars with dual mass flywheels, DPFs, FAPs and all the complex computer stuff they load on them now and the ugly looks as well. I would also say that the rust resistance on the 306 is probably the best I know of as here in Cornwall the sea salt and continuous rain and muddy roads happily attack VWs BMWs Saabs and Mercs. I have used the AC twice, much prefering the electric sunroof and it still actually works!! LOL

Submitted: 2016-02-22 | ID: 128009

Danny, Greater London

Peugeot 306 306 HATCHBACK SPECIAL EDS 1997 - 2000

This is my first car and I am very happy with it. Bought it for £400 in August at ~970,000 miles. Only had to spend a bit of money on it, but mostly precautionary because of its age, so a new cam belt and headcover gasket and an oil change. Had no problems with it aside from that. I have decided to repair the AC as that is the only thing that wasn't working when I bought the car. As there is a leak in one of the freon pipes due to corrosion it is going to be fairly pricey due to finding a replacement pipe for such an old car, but I think it's worth it as the car will likely last me a long time :)

Submitted: 2015-01-07 | ID: 109095

Ole Høj, Denmark

Peugeot 306 1998

I have had a total of 3 Peugoet 306 from 1998. All station wagons. The first, a 1.6 I bought in 2001, it had only driven 48.000 km and I was really happy with the car, but I sold it after a few months because the dealer could not figure out how to fix the trip computer and I only run with cars that are perfectly fine. The next was also a 1.6 and I bought in the fall of 2013. It especially surprised me that the years almost without trace had passed the wagon, it was still without rust and drove excellently with a fuel economy of 15 km/l, even if the machine had exceeded 300,000 kilometers. However, it hit something with the rear end, which made me take the final 306- decision; to acquire a diesel version. I have it now had 14 days and I enjoy the sound of the engine every time I start it, just as I enjoy driving 18 km per litre of diesel fuel. You really feel the quality of the wagon as new here, 16 years after it rolled out of the factory. What a car for a very low price!

Submitted: 2014-02-23 | ID: 45070

Michael Leong, Malaysia

Peugeot 306 2000

Great car to have. My wife drove it for 10 years and it has now been taken over by me for the past 3 years. My wife upgraded to the 308 and I sold my 405 upon taking over the 306. Absolutely no problem encountered with regular servicing i.e. change of oil and filter and the body still looks tremendously good after one repaint. My daughter drives a 206. We are a Peugeot family.

Submitted: 2012-09-22 | ID: 45069

Adrian Johnston, County Antrim

Peugeot 306 2000

This is a great all-round car, if I could buy a brand new one I would! I bought it with 100000 miles on it for £1500 and after a buff and a few meguair products it looks good, with a more pleasing shape than many modern estates. The pulleys started to rattle on the aux belt so replaced them and its first clutch has just given in now at 145000. In any other car I would have scrapped it, but I spent £400 on a new clutch, gearbox oil and clutch cable, as I know there are a lot of miles left yet in her. I change oil and filters every 5000 miles and only use Castrol edge, these engines if oil is changed regular can go to 250000+ before dying. Group 4 ins, £130 to tax and 55mpg what more do you need? get one bought! Lol :-)

Wondered if Adrian is still happy. My hdi estate clutch is starting to go at 135000. Wondering if it is worth replacing, given the labour is around 9 hours alone! Where did he get it for £400 and extras.... - Mike Ashburn from Dorset

Submitted: 2012-06-17 | ID: 45067

Kester Stephen, Trinidad and Tobago

Peugeot 306 2001

Great suspension and holds very well on corners. It seems as if the car uses no fuel.

Submitted: 2012-03-02 | ID: 45064

Keith Hayes, England

Peugeot 306 1997

I bought my 1997 Pug automatic 1.8 LX about 18 months ago with a short tax/mot and the seller was honest enough to say that she hadn’t had anything done to it for 3 yrs apart from new pads and dics as she had only used it to potter about town in. Well, the first thing done was an oil and filter change along with air filter, plugs, leads etc., on a service and I have to say the car has been brilliant since and has done loads of motorway and city driving without any problems whatsoever. It is comfortable and handles well and the bodywork isn’t showing any signs of rust, so I think I got a bargain for £400 especially as it went through the MOT needing only a new tyre to pass. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another 306.

Submitted: 2011-10-31 | ID: 45065

Amanda Fullerton, Yorkshire

Peugeot 306 2001

I bought this car when it was 1 year old. It has 8,.000 on the clock now and it has been brilliant. I know a mechanic who just specialises in Peugeot’s and he said the 306 engines are bomb poof. I have just had the gear box and a new clutch fitted (only because I burnt the clutch out in the bad weather in January) costing £400 and that’s the most I have spent on it in the last 10 years. The bodywork still looks good and I hope I have it another 3 years at least.

Submitted: 2011-08-11 | ID: 45066

Gregory Sloan, County Antrim

Peugeot 306 1998

Great car! I have owned this from brand new, over 230k on the clock and it’s still going perfectly! Mechanically this car is bomb proof, it has never let me down and I’d say there is still a few years left in her yet. I kept this car and my wife bought a brand new 306 HDi DTurbo just before the 307 came out in 2001 and it was also a fantastic car, she sold it in 2007 for a 308 2.0 HDi SE which is also a fantastic car! You can probably tell we love our Peugeot, but if they were a bad car, we wouldn’t be driving them. I definitely recommend the 306! Lovely driving cars, great handling and better built than you may expect. For anybody who is thinking of a 306 but you hear people sniggering when you suggest buying a Peugeot it’s all nonesense because these days there are no good cars, but no bad cars either because in time they will all develop their own problems. My wife and I have owned three 306’s and I cannot say one bad thing about them at all! No word of a lie!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-11-27 | ID: 45063

Ian Cooke, Nottinghamshire

Peugeot 306 2000

Great car. Had it 4 years now. 114000 miles. Comfy to drive. Economical for a 2litre. Does everything you need from a car. Only recently replaced original exhaust and rear tyres. Had to force my garage to replace the brake pads just to give them something to do!

Submitted: 2010-11-24 | ID: 45062

Gill Bridgwater, England

Peugeot 306 1998

I’ve had this car since 2002, been brill. Great exceleration up hills with the turbo. Looking to change in near future though.

Submitted: 2010-06-25 | ID: 45056

Cheryl Dickson, Lancashire

Peugeot 306 2006

Trustworthy car, cheap to run and a pleasure to drive.

Submitted: 2010-03-22 | ID: 45057

Phil, Cornwall

Peugeot 306 1998

1.6 Petrol Vivant with 100,000 miles, now had it for 5yrs, got it when it had done 88,000. A bit thirsty around the houses but on a long run it’s good very good economy. It’s had 2 exhausts, and brake pipe went on front nearside but apart from that no problems. A cracking car. Had a 1988 1.4 SR 205 before that and that went like a rocket and another cracking car peugoet are a good brand, saving up to get a 308 now if its half as good as the 306 it will be going some!

Can anyone tell me if a 1998 Pug 306 vivant 1.6 is a 4 or 5 speed gear box? Thanks - Mark Fitton from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 2010-03-04 | ID: 45060

Mark Entwistle, Berkshire

Peugeot 306 1998

A very well built and well equipped car with quite a few luxuries for a car of this age, a good strong body with no rust, the inside is comfortable with plenty of leg room, but the head height is a little low. Very good fuel economy and a low insurance band.

Submitted: 2010-02-27 | ID: 45059

Stevie Hunt, Surrey

Peugeot 306 1999

For some reason Peugeot seemed to scrap the ’look’ of the 306 (and indirectly the 106) by introducing the 307, clearly a more family orientated car that, I think, has far less appeal. WHY!?! Even the earliest 306s can be seen on the roads by those who pay out to service them and even modify them. This is because even those early 1990s models have far more appeal than, say, a Fiesta from the same decade. The last 306s to be made before the 307 managed to take an old design and make it appear very modern. The car’s proportions just look spot on, the lines naturally flowed and the door handles didn’t portrude. But, ultimately, the front end just looked like a boy. A boy with its eyes half-closed and concentrating hard on something in the distance. When they’re parked up they kinda look like they’re still moving. For some, the 206 was more desirable as it was smaller and more feminine. Which is great. Girls look good in 206s. But put a girl in a 306 and she looks like trouble, like Michelle Rodriguez in Resident Evil or something. Or Avatar, or SWAT, or whatever else she’s in. The 306 was one of the few genuinely attractive cars for almost every demographic, such as: Families; enough room in the back to put in a child seat and a ’grown up’ feel. Boy racers; the car was easiy modified and looked good in the first place so didn’t need thousands spent on new lights and bodykits. Enough room for your mates too. Students; smallish engines weren’t too pricey and surely a better alternative to a Fiesta, 106, Clio, Saxo etc. Petrol heads; GTI6 was nippy. Mums; big boot for big boots. It’s easy to see how the car fits onto anyone’s driveway. A lot of estates are used by tradesmen too since they are huge, handle well, look tidy and, with a diesel engine, last for years. If only the gearbox wasn’t made from cheese I would still have one.

Submitted: 2010-02-21 | ID: 45058

John Delay, County Tyrone

Peugeot 306 1999

Peugeot 306 HDI’s are the worst car money can buy. I’ve had one for 4 months and it gave me nothing but trouble. I’ve spent 2000 quid repairing it and it still isn’t working. Don’t buy one.

Hi, I have to totally disagree with you because I bought my 2001 306 2.0 HDi Sport in 2007 as my first car and 3 years on I have had absolutely no trouble at all with it. The engine had 98000 Miles on it and now I have over 145000 Miles on it and it has been ultra reliable and efficient. It’s a lovely car to drive and its really grippy on a twisty B road. Its such a good car my grandfather uses it more than his 09 VW Golf GT TDi Sport because he reckons its a far more comfortable car to drive and sit in, He also thinks it’s quicker off the mark than his 140hp GT TDi Golf. I love my 306 and Peugeot should of never quit making them because if they didn’t it would be no match for all the crap like Ford Focus - Kevin Aherne from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 2009-12-23 | ID: 45052

Sean O Hanlan, County Tyrone

Peugeot 306 2000

Fantastic car!! Until I crashed it 9 months ago. It never gave me any trouble apart from the airbag warning light which kept coming on!. I serviced it at its correct intervals and gave it a bit a bit of tlc and that was it, 100%. Then one month later I bought a late 2006 307 1.6 110 HDi Se ( thinking it would be rubbish due to all the bad reports i have heard and read) but it is fantastic, no problems at all. As i say you just need to take care of a Peugeot and give it some TLC. Lastly if you are thinking of a 306 buy the HDI engine, its ultra reliable, quick, smooth and economical.

Did you manage to find a solution to the airbag warning light? - Stewart Robertson from Kent

Submitted: 2009-12-12 | ID: 45050

Jason Clarke, England

Peugeot 306 1994

This car is fantastic, I have the rare Roland Garros with all the highest specification, only thing to watch out for is the electrics. Mechanically it’s a very good motor and engine but the electrics can be such a pain. I have half cream leather, full electrics, 205 gti alloys, sports seats, red seat belts, power steering, abs all as standard. This is definitely a model to look out for along with the superb meridian and gti 6. The car isn’t especially quick with the little 8 valve beast but take it down country roads and you are rewarded all day long the handling that is real tight with minimal body roll. Overall the 306 in general is a great car with a great chasis and handling to die for... But when you look at these cars, check all lights, windows, mirrors and easily accessable wiring looms as any unseen electrical problems are a little too common and often a head ache to put right.

Great car. I have had a blue wagon for 5 years, edition Eden Park, 1.8 16 V 110 bhp. It looks great, the handling is very good, well balanced between comfort and sport. The engine and the gearbox are perfect.The economy is good too 8-10 l/ 100km. I had a problem with the air conditioning, but it was a small problem and I could repair it. I’m very happy with the car, so I recommended it to a friend; he bought the hatchback version with the same engine but he’s had more problems than me. I think, it’s a question of luck. So, the car is good, check the electronics and the rear suspension, 1.6 gasoline engine and the 1.8 & 1.8 16V are the best engines, and the 2.0 HDI, too. 2.0 16V is good too, but hard to find. Nice driving to everyone! - Svetoslav Kitanov from Bulgaria

Submitted: 2009-09-10 | ID: 45054

Sam Malone, Lancashire

Peugeot 306 1999

Hi, I own a 1999 306 hdi d turbo which has a front mount intercooler and a charge cooler fitted, remapped, a straight through stainless steel exhaust running around 160+ bhp. Very fast for a 306; 0-60 in about mid 7 I think and still manages 40+ mpg. It has been very reliable; I use it as a everyday car and weekend toy. It has 102 on clock. Moonstone blue; the best car I have owned - I also have a golf gt tdi. The 306 is better I think.

Submitted: 2009-07-22 | ID: 45079

Gary Smith, England

Peugeot 306 2007

Worst car I’ve ever had, you name it, it went wrong. Build quality appalling. Turning circle horrendous. Customer service atrocious. Loathed to give it even 1 star, hence to say I will never ever buy French again.

I could not disagree more! I have owned mine for 7 years and will keep it for a while longer. I am even considering giving it a respray because the paint lacquer is lifting a little in places on mine, but on others I have seen it is fine. You do have to keep on top of them mechanically (mine is serviced annually) and in particular change the cambelt every 40,000 miles to be safe. TLC really is the order of the day to keep them reliable (remember the youngest was built in 2001), but I am convinced they are a Classic Car just waiting to be recognised. Everyone raves about the 205GTi but the 306GTi 6 is faster, more comfortable, reasonably economical (38mpg on a good run) with a decent boot and to my eyes still looks the business. It is also quick and handles brilliantly. What more can you ask for? - Keith Fairbairn from Cumberland

Submitted: 2009-07-21 | ID: 45077

Kelly Bruce, Kent

Peugeot 306 1999

Great little car, only had it for 3 months. Great on petrol and really great to drive. I think I’m going hold on to my little car for a while longer before upgrading.

Submitted: 2009-06-17 | ID: 45075

Sophie Dykes, Hampshire

Peugeot 306 2008

Excellent little car, fuel efficient, comfortable to drive, would recommend to anyone!!

Submitted: 2009-05-15 | ID: 45076

Tim Hunt, England

Peugeot 306 1998

I drive long journeys all the time and the Peugeot 306 has never let me down in 3 years. The Peugeot 306 is definitely the way forward...

Submitted: 2009-03-16 | ID: 45074

Robert Wiggett, England

Peugeot 306 2001

Thanks to fuel prices I’ve parked up my ST220 in favour of the 306 HDi, I’ve had a couple of these and the all round economy is great, handling is great, there is the cheaper tax make it a great buy. Mine has done 73k. If you are clocking up the miles then look for one with my kind of miles, obviously it needs to have been serviced but I would recommend a 306 five door, definately the best.

Submitted: 2008-04-02 | ID: 45072

kerrie Timms, Warwickshire

Peugeot 306 1997

I’ve had various makes and models of cars and out of all of them, my pudsy is the best!

Submitted: 2008-03-26 | ID: 45073

Chris Pope, Wiltshire

Peugeot 306 1999

My 99 306 was a decent enough car, both a fun drive and big enough for family holidays. The build quality was adequate and the performance of the 1.6 litre petrol engine was sprightly. All-in-all, there was little to fault about it.

Submitted: 2007-11-06 | ID: 45071

• A response has been made to Adrian Johnston (17/06/2012 21:30:32)
  • A response has been made to Phil (04/03/2010 10:49:58)

• "When starting there's a loud clicking from somewhere behind the battery (from inside vehicle it sounds as if it's where the passenger airbag is). Thi..." (Jane James, 06/09/2017 15:55:08)
  • "Hi i went to look at my window fuses and when checking this my car stopped working when i turn it on by key obviously the dials go crazy it turns ove..." (Mikeknight, 12/10/2016 20:16:06)
  • "my car stops offenly while driving and as start agian i drive for some kilometers and again its stops whe i put it on diogise it shows bank one sens..." (charls, 12/08/2016 06:01:57)
  • "just did an engine overhaul and found out that water inbetween the sleeves has mixed with oil before i even have started the car, what could be the p..." (wayne, 09/08/2016 20:57:07)
  • "What could be the cause of the car engine going off while the car is moving especially at low speeds or when at high speed and I put my foot on the b..." (K Hwehwe, 31/05/2016 13:02:29)

• Gordon Hindle's question has been answered: "Hi mate its the oil meter shows the oil level in your engine should go off about 10 15 seconds after engine start - James Elliott from Isle of Wight' '..." (30/06/2017 16:56:36)
  • Christian's question has been answered: "smash with hammer - john from Blackburn with Darwen' '..." (14/03/2017 14:24:54)

Renault Megane