Peugeot 308 consumer car reviews and road tests

Peugeot 308 consumer reviews by year of make: 2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014

Peugeot 308 consumer car reviews

Roy Colbert, Yorkshire

Peugeot 308 308 COUPE CABRIOLET 2009 - 2014

can you change the mile ometer to kilometres with the controls arms when driving in europe

Submitted: 2015-06-21 | ID: 117501

Trebor, Lancashire

Peugeot 308 308 DIESEL HATCHBACK 2007 - 2013

I purchased a 308 hdi 2008 in Jan 2008, the car looks / feels good, that was until I had a good look at the car, very cheaply made. I did not know these cars came with an indoor swimming pool! The rear door drain holes are crap, not big enough & positioned in a stupid way. The glow plugs, well that's another story, who the hell designed this area for these plugs? The work to replace, what a joke, Peugeot why don't you listen / look at your owners` reviews? The stupid, cheap Noddy spare wheel, done at the owners` expense, I have replaced mine with a proper alloy wheel. If I was to buy a new Peugeot this would be the first thing to check & if found that it had a tin of fluid or a Noddy wheel there is no way I would buy until these were replaced. Peugeot, wake up for God`s sake, you are letting your reputation down by buying CHEAP PARTS - the wiring looms, rear brake lights, wire so thin they are like hair strands, the discs / pads, again cheap. The car I had, the discs showed as if the discs were 20 years old, (now replaced), again you have let yourself down. I have written this review not to moan but to try & advise Peugeot to wake up to their errors! Will they? Time will tell.

Submitted: 2015-05-11 | ID: 115868

Trebor, Lancashire

Peugeot 308 308 DIESEL HATCHBACK 2007 - 2013

Having bought this car 2nd hand I was looking forward to a well designed car, how wrong I was. I do my own repairing when needed. Looking at the mechanical side of the components, to start, what idiot decided to place the glow plugs in such a stupid place? The work involved to replace these is a joke. You have to remove the inlet / fuel lines / the shuttle to replace the flimsy plastic wings, yes I understand they do not rust. The electrics, well, this is one area Peugeot has dropped a right clanger at the expense of the owner, eg/ rear brake light unit, the connecting wire (rubbish) the rear wash / wipe coming on even though switched off by the menu, & to cap it all that stupid at the owner`s expense Noddy spare, what are you thinking about Peugeot? In my opinion, if I`m purchasing a new car & there was one of these things in the boot, I would refuse the purchase until a proper wheel was in place. Last of all & this will take some beating, a swimming pool within the back doors, Peugeot at least you could have given a goldfish as part of the deal! The drain holes at the bottom of these doors are ill-thought-out & I think you could have done better, you are letting your reputation down by buying cheap components at your customers` expense. We do have a 206 diesel, although hard on the bumps the car has been a good one. You might think the moaning sod, not really, just my opinion on a product that could have been better thought out.

Submitted: 2015-05-10 | ID: 115846

Sorin, North Lanarkshire

Peugeot 308 308 DIESEL SW ESTATE 2008 - 2014

I currently own a Peugeot 308 SW diesel 2010 registration. Had it for one year and a half now, when started to have problems with the gear shift getting stiff, especially when it`s cold and first starting the car in the morning. I took the car to Robins&Day in Glasgow and asked them to diagnose my car but surprise, they couldn't find anything wrong with the gear shift. What? Unbelievable. I had to tell them what to do, to have the gear shift cables changed and that cost me nearly £500. They also coned me with an alternator belt change which was unnecessary. What kind of main dealer is this? Few years ago I had another Peugeot, it was a 207 model diesel which developed the same problem after one year and a half. It seams to be a common problem with Peugeot cars and I will not be buying another one in the future. On top of everything service people from Peugeot are incompetent and dishonest. The only good thing I can say about Peugeot cars, the diesel models are economic and the 308 estate model is also roomy.

Submitted: 2015-02-16 | ID: 111690

Ian Richards, Shropshire

Peugeot 308 308 HATCHBACK 2007 - 2013

Bought the Pug with 13,500 miles, I've added around another 26,000 miles since in the two years that I have owned it. Ok let's dispel the myths - driving position is slightly offset but no problem at all. Cars that are on good quality tyres and have been geometery checked do not wander to the left (this will happen due to the camber of UK roads only). My car on 17 inch wheels is like riding a church pew, if you don't want a rock hard ride go for a car on 16 inch wheels (these use 55 series tyres which give a little more comfort). Front brake discs and pads (Bosch) will wear out in 20,000 miles, they are very good but very very soft, mine is now running on a set of Pagid. Steering is a little light for my liking but it is firm enough, gearbox is a little notchy and the high clutch bite point is a little concerning at first, but it is very light and will not give you leg ache. Fuel ecomomy for my driving and work trips gives anywhere between 45 and 49 mpg (for 1.6 petrol that's good). If you want one go for low mileage full history cars (main dealers have the best obviously at a price). Service regularly and under no circumstances use cheap oil. The vti petrol enigine has 3 camshafts, the 3rd is at the very top of the engine and controls valve lift, it is also connected to a complex system of rollers and guides. Fully synthetic oil is a must along with regular changes. Like all cars look after it and you should be ok, I would buy another without any worry.

Submitted: 2014-09-16 | ID: 103163

George Leck, Northumberland

Peugeot 308 308 COUPE CABRIOLET 2009 - 2014

When starting the diesel 308 from cold the car judders this has been happening for the last 3 weeks

I had this last year with my petrol roland garros. Just one year old. Was timing chain. Replaced. Same problem 12000 miles and one year on. Now back in garage Did you resolve your issue? If so can you advise what the problem was. - from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 2014-08-23 | ID: 102000

Christopher Webb, Dorset

Peugeot 308 308 COUPE CABRIOLET 2009 - 2014

My Wife has owned this stunning car for two years. Milage is still low at 22k, but in the last few months has developed a 'whining' noise which is impossible to locate. It doesn't occur all the time, but when it does it doesn't seem to make any difference whether the car is stationary or moving, or if it is in or out of gear. It has recently been for a service at Howard's Peugeot in Dorchester, but they are at a loss for any explanation. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Is the heater motor on the lowest setting? Has the car electris seats & are they working? The reason I ask, if you think they are not working the motor could be working but not moving the seats. A/Con, is that on? Electric mirrors, listen close up to the mirror head N/S + OFF / S. - from Lancashire

Hi, thanks for your response! Turned out to be the fuel pump!! - Christopher Webb from Dorset

Submitted: 2014-06-20 | ID: 98120

Ros, West Midlands

Peugeot 308 308 COUPE CABRIOLET 2009 - 2014

Bought car new in June 2009. Only done 17,700 miles. Ill health shortly after purchase has kept the mileage very low. Booked in for service and MOT at dealership and to look at noise and clutch slipping. Passed MOT OK but told needed gear box stripping down to find fault. 8 hours labour to strip the gear box at £91 per hour and would need it for 3 days to fix and put back together. Huge cost no doubt. Couldn't start on it for 12 days. Booked it in and said I would see if I could get it done elsewhere more quickly but set the date with the dealership in case I could not get it done elsewhere. Got in the car and reversed from where it had been parked at dealership. Could not get the car out of reverse, therefore it is sitting in the dealership waiting.

I would contacted Peugeot UK with your plight, the car should have given better service than this 17000 miles. - from Lancashire

Submitted: 2014-06-20 | ID: 98093

Scott More, Scotland

Peugeot 308 2009

I recently bought this car. I read the reviews about the car pulling to the left. I have noticed this, but will say it only does this if there are no hands on the steering wheel. A great car to drive, which I would recommend it to anyone.

I bought a 308 SR 2009 ex reps for Peugeot. The mileage at that was 91,000 with full service every 34,000 miles. It`s a great car, the steering is spot on "this does not pull to the left or right" It has now done 115,000 and still going great. I intend to keep it. I recommend you buy one. - clancey k.m from Cornwall

Submitted: 2014-01-27 | ID: 45241

Colin, England

Peugeot 308 2012

Hi I have just bought a 308 CC Roland Garros. While the spec is quite good I have a big problem with the wipers They are the wrong way round! The 308 has been designed for left hand drive only so right hand drive cars wipers are not suitable.

Submitted: 2013-09-11 | ID: 45259

Jeff Bickerton, England

Peugeot 308 2010

I bought the 308SW after my 3008 was stolen from the garage whilst being repaired! Thanks for that! While not quite as smooth as the 3008, I found the 308 more roomy for carrying my gear as you can remove the backseats easily to give lots more space. Having tried the 308 sport I found the 17" wheels and low profile tyres too firm for my liking, so I went for the SE, which has 16" wheels to give a better ride. I have to say the roadholding is very good, nearly as good as the 205 GTI I once had. The engine is the superb 1.6HDI with a six speed box. On a motorway run I get nearly 70mpg wth 50ish knocking about town. The folding mirrors are great for getting into a narrow garage. In short, the 308SW is a car I can recommend, superb to drive and very economical.

I wonder if you may be able to advise me, I have just recieved my new 2013 Peugeot 308 SW Active 112bhp E-HDI Auto with stop start, and keep having a slight problem, when I come to a stand still at an island and come to set off again swiftly, the car takes off like a rocket, however, as it changes into second gear automaticaly, the car seems to loose power and almost comes to a stand still again, them suddenly engages and takes off properly. I wonder if you may be able to advise me as to what the problem may be, your advice would be greatfully recieived - Warren Hetherington from England

Submitted: 2012-08-29 | ID: 45263

Salah Kanaan, United States of America

Peugeot 308 2011

This is the second time I have bought a Peugeot. The last one was a disaster and a bad engine while this one rocks and is a convertible. The only problem I have with this one is that it cannot fly or has lasers. I love it. It roooooocccks!

Submitted: 2012-04-30 | ID: 45258

Alan Smith, Northern Ireland

Peugeot 308 2007

What can I say? This is probably the best car I have ever owned! After 4 years of total pleasure I traded my 308 in to purchase the brand new facelifted model. I bought my 308 1.6 HDi 90 S in September 2007, never once did it break down or have to go back to the dealers for repair. I regurlarly serviced the car at my local Peugeot dealer and covered over 110000 miles in supreme comfort too! I love my new 1.6 e-HDi 112 Allure 308 and I hope it serves me as well as my previous one. I highly recommended this car to the say least!

Hi, I currently have a peugeot 308 sw, previously had a peugeot 207 and they both develop the same problem after about one year and a half,changing from neutral into 1 and 2 gear and back become stiff,sticky. I wonder if you ever experience this problem? - from North Lanarkshire

Submitted: 2011-11-02 | ID: 45238

Stephen Helm, Yorkshire

Peugeot 308 2009

I submitted a report in 2010 regarding the car. I have mine on a Motability lease. I did have a fault in the first month of the lease with the engine management light coming on but it was quickly diagnosed by my dealer that it was the CAT that had failed and was faulty in manufacture. Peugeot replaced it with no quibble at all. Well 18mths down the line I still have no gripes with the car, it is still running very well apart from a minor fault with an oil sensor, which was found on a routine check by the dealer. The new part has been ordered and the dealer does a collect and drop service once the part has arrived. I have always had a quick response from the main dealer any time I needed the car checking over. The 1.6 vti engine still runs very smoothly and the car is keeping up well in respect of the exterior bodywork. Minor niggles are in the boot as a plastic clip broke on a cover over a storage space for a spray de icer can (that’s what just fits in there fine) so the thing rolls around. I noticed one review mentions road noise; YES it it the type of tyres fitted. I had my front tyres replaced with Bridgestone ones and the road noise has subsided. The lease is up at the end of this year and I will be certainly looking at the Peugeot brand once more. I have had nine Peugeot cars so far (inc this one) and I have found them to be no more worse than other makes. A lot of it is down to how you treat the car, look after the car it looks after you and there is a lot of truth in that saying. Also remember it is a piece of machinery, which is not built to last forever parts do wear out.

Submitted: 2011-10-10 | ID: 45237

Adrian Kay, England

Peugeot 308 2008

Absolutely the worst car I have ever bought. Issues with Catalytic converters and other costs totalling in excess of £3,000. I have recieved no help from Peugeot UK and yet it is a common problem (check the internet for ’Catalytic converter Peugeot’ - scary!!!!). Peugeot parts are expensive and anti competitive on certain models. Total Rip off. I will never buy Peugeot again.

I have no help from Peugeot UK, we are told about the 60k mileage warranty, but that does include certain parts, therefore feel that 25k for a shock absorber being wear and tear, is the original shock absorber fit for purpose? - David Ellis from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2011-09-06 | ID: 45239

Steve Norfolk, England

Peugeot 308 2009

I have had a problem with my 308cc. A crease (dent) appeared in the right hand rear roof column about half way up. about 5 months ago I took it to the dealer who evaluated it as vandalism. I have to have this repaired under my insurance before it goes back. Fair enough, but three weeks ago, another crease (dent) appeared on the opposite column. I took this in yesterday, and they finally accepted this is mechanical failure due to a rubber bung being missing in the boot that the fold back hood rests on. The bung must have dislodged when removing things from the boot. However, they do not accept responsibility, and now I have 2 repairs that will be down to me. Sureley, if the "Bung" is capable of dislodging accidentally, it’s a fault, and Peugeot should accept this costly mistake is down to the thing not being permanently fixed in place?

Both rubber bungs mysteriously disappeared out of the boot within a very short time of buying the car brand new, haven’t experienced the creases though - Andy Mellett from Somerset

Hi, This has just happened to me. I can’t see anything missing, have you got a photo or part number? - Steve McLeod from Leicestershire

Submitted: 2011-06-24 | ID: 45255

Rod Hemley, Bedfordshire

Peugeot 308 2011

Car great to drive, looks good with roof up or down, excellent milage per gallon, comfortable controls, clear and easy to operate, best 6 speed gear box ever had.

Submitted: 2011-06-13 | ID: 45253

Phillip Auckland, Australia

Peugeot 308 2009

My 308CC is a manual 6 speed 1.6 turbo petrol. Upon buying my 308CC I was a big fan. It drives nicely, carries 4 people, is well equipped (apart from the French’s loathing for cup-holders). Sadly though I have absolutely had it with the reliability. I have had 52 days off road and am still two weeks from the first anniversary of delivery and have done just 22,500kms. I have twice had a massive loss of power issue where the car can barely pull its weight along. Symptoms are engine management light, and the info screen reporting a "pollution control system error". It is very unsafe to drive when like this. I am waiting for my second instance of this issue to be resolved and have just been advised it was a stretched timing chain after 26 days off road this time and 6 days the first time. I see the same or similar problems reported on the 207CC with the same engine. I also lost my clutch completely and had the pedal just clunk to the floor and stay there which was apparently leaking clutch fluid pipes. That cost me 5 days off road. I had a major oil leak (1 litre in 2 days) which they attributed in the main to springs somewhere in the engine. At the same time I had a roof respray because the roof was poorly aligned and when folded down in the boot would rub on the boot liner creating 2 wear marks at 45 degrees to the front of the car. These two together cost me 14 days off road. There was also a timing chain tensioner issue which is well known that caused clatter on start up for the first couple of kilometers where it sounded like a diesel. That one was fixed at a service with no additional time off road. I have lost total faith in the brand after this experience and after finding that this kind of record is not uncommon on some Peugeot models. The 1960s MGBs I had in the early 80s were a better ownership experience than this car. At least you could quickly diagnose and fix them in a handful of days. I have never had this kind of experience with my new cars and will now probably restrict myself to the brands known for quality (Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Subaru etc).

I purchased my 308CC petrol/auto in November 2009 and for the past six months, I have had continual problems with the car losing power, sometimes for days at a time. There is no pattern to this occurring - it can happen on startup or mid-trip, full tank, nearly empty tank. I am using the recommended fuel. Sometimes it resets itself overnight, and is fine for a few weeks, sometimes it last for days, sometimes it fixes itself mid-trip. When the problem is occurring, it takes over 10secs to go from 0 - 60km/hr which makes it dangerous to drive in certain situations, especially when you don’t know when it is going to happen. I have had the car to the service centre on multiple occasions - sometimes they find error codes (this is if I manage to drop it there while the problem is occurring) and sometimes not. They have replaced the turbo intake pipe, but I think this was a separate issue - in any case, it didn’t fix the problem. They can fix it in the short term by resetting the computer, but can not work out what is causing the problem in the first place. I have lost hours of work every week due to constantly taking the car in to service centres, or having to reschedule appointments because it was dangerous to drive the car to work. I currently have a rental car while they try to solve the problem. The car was trouble from day one with a faulty fuel pump within months of purchase. I had continual power problems from within a few months of purchase (unrelated to fuel pump) due to using wrong brand of petrol - switching brands fixed it for a while. This year, faulty gearbox component which would cause the car to intermittently stay stuck in 3rd gear (nasty on the autoroute!) and above-mentioned turbo problem. Add to that list a leaking roof, a number of blown fuses, and a courtesy light unit which I have been waiting to be replaced for two months now - Donna Weston from Australia

Purchased 308 cc last year and similar from day one loss of power and polution system light comes on. Been back to dealership 12 times and can’t fix problem. I currently have a rental car as Peugeot just say that they are aware of the problem and endeavouring to fix it. Making some enquiries a common problem with engine and this car but Peugeot won’t admit that they have an issue with this engine - from Australia

Submitted: 2011-05-05 | ID: 45250

Dave Fellows, England

Peugeot 308 2009

I own a 308 59 plate 1.6 110 S HDI. The performance is great around town and on the motorway. The only thing I do not like is the the lack of space in the glove box you would struggle to fit a small bird in there but what the 308 does give you is two small storage trays underneath the front drivers seats and passangers seats to accommodate this problem. The 308 is one of the most comfortable cars I have driven. To fill up my car it takes around £70 to £80 of diesel. Driving around corners is a bit sluggish also to reverse the car is a bit awkward at times. Also the view out of the two side mirrors is a bit daunting at times compared to other cars I have driven, but for a small second hand hatchback with only 13k on the clock, which I paid £7248 for it’s the best car I have bought so far. Thank you Peugeot.

Submitted: 2011-03-27 | ID: 45233

Alan Sloan, County Down

Peugeot 308 2007

Bought my 308 in October 2007 from a local Peugeot dealership, with 81k on the clock and I am very impressed with the car! Never has let me down once, it’s superb to drive and the engine is very flexible. One gripe is the rear 3/4 vision with the thick C- Pillar can make reversing hard. Thankfully I ordered rear parking sensors on mine which really helped. Overall, I would highly recommend this car to anybody thinking of buying one new or used.

Submitted: 2011-02-22 | ID: 45235

Keith Newall, Yorkshire

Peugeot 308 2010

Purchased 308 sport hdi 110 october 2010, the car was registered 1 march 2010 with 11000 miles. At the moment I have no gripes with the car execept tyre noise , which on certain surfaces can be annoying especially when cold, but I intend to use a different brand when the original contis have worn out. The car itself is easy and pleasant to drive and being the hdi diesel gives good fuel consumsion. I do not think the car is worth the new showroom price though; I purchased this at 7 months old from local main dealer for around £8-9k cheaper than new, that’s a lot of money to drop in 7 months and still 2years 5 month warranty to go. Overall a good car for money, not in Audi/VW golf league, but not same price.

Submitted: 2011-02-21 | ID: 45234

J T, Berkshire

Peugeot 308 2009

The first car I have had with no problems. Fantastic to drive. Very nippy and quiet for a diesel. The only minor criticism is rattle sometimes coming from front left of engine which the garage cannot identify! Possibly the air filter? Atleast the noise is not getting any worse! and the ride tends to feel a little bumpy. Very comfy and with adjustable centre arm rest ones hand falls naturally on the controls. Am thinking of changing but like this one too much at present.

Submitted: 2011-02-06 | ID: 45236

Sean McManus, Devon

Peugeot 308 2008

Overall a great car. Completely different to my old 05 Astra, this car works! Lovely and comfortable and smooth, also quite torquey for only being a 1.6! Was very surprised when I seen the interior, its just as well built as the Golf and I think the materials look and feel better! I can safely recommend this car!

Submitted: 2010-11-05 | ID: 45224

Phil Black, Berkshire

Peugeot 308 2009

In general, we’re very pleased: we wanted a spacious and versatile 5 seater, and bought this in preference to a 407 and it feels roomier than a Focus or Zafira. We went for the 2.0 diesel in order to lug our family (3 teens) and luggage on long hauls and haven’t been disappointed with power or speed, although I realise now that the 1.6 would have been just as good and more economical. My biggest issue though is with the suspension - our car has sporty 17 inch alloys (sold as a desirable feature) and corners beautifully, but frankly is over firm and I find the constant jiggling sensation quite unpleasant. I had hoped for a nice smooth "French" ride, but I’m seriously thinking of fitting smaller rims and softer shocks.

Submitted: 2010-10-18 | ID: 45262

Suzanne Sloan, Derbyshire

Peugeot 308 2007

Fantastic Car! I used to drive a 2003 307 2.0 HDi 110 Rapier and this is a far better built, driving and designed car. Never any problems unlike my old 307. I love it!

Submitted: 2010-09-27 | ID: 45225

Andrew Bailey, England

Peugeot 308 2009

We bought our 308 SW at ten months old from Robins and Day in Newcastle-on-Tyne. This is our third Peugeot from them. I thought at first I should have waited for the 136 HDi, as was our previous 307 SW, which had lots of extra power but after having it remapped to around 140 bhp (which has increased the torch to around 220 1bs from 180) I have no doubt now that we have bought the right car. It has almost as much power now as the 136 but the 1.6 HDi engine is so refined and quiet, even at motorway speeds, the extra miles per gallon is a great plus also for us. We think this HDi diesel unit must be one of the very best diesel engines around, all of our Peugeot’s have been perfectly reliable and we feel are good value for the money, especially when you buy them at a year or so old.

Submitted: 2010-09-22 | ID: 45261

Max Morrison, Australia

Peugeot 308 2009

I have had the 308 CC petrol turbo for just on 12 months and have no problems with the power or handling - all good. It is just the lack of knowledge and service that one receives when booked in at the dealer. Having a problem at the moment with supposed low oil pressure, the dealer has had to order a special tool from France plus the paperwork on how to rectify this problem. That was approximately 4 weeks ago but they tell me it is still OK to drive the vehicle, even though it makes a hell of a noise for about 2 to 3 minutes every time you warm it up in the morning. All the items i have read regarding low oil pressure do suggest you not drive vehicle????. Has anybody else had this problem?

Submitted: 2010-09-14 | ID: 45254

Lucinda Dolan, England

Peugeot 308 2009

This is our third Peugeot the other ones were 307 and apart from the disc brakes on our last car we had no problems. Our last car was a black, alloy wheels and tinted windows. There was an advert from our local Peugeot garage in Kendal Cumbria picture of 308 with alloys and tinted windows 58 plate for only £9950, traded ours in for one and was told if we paid £500 more we could have an 09 plate with electric windows so we did. Picked the car up a week later, this was February 2010, the only thing that was right was the colour black, the sales man said it must of been crossed wires and if we want a sport we would have to pay more so that was an on going dispute. Then on the 13th of May driving to work the faulty anti-pollution and orange engine symbol appeared on the dashboard and I had loss of power. I took it back to the Peugeot garage where they kept it for nearly a week and said it was fine. Picked the car up and on the 20th of May and was driving on the motorway when it happened again; loss of power and faulty anti pollution, the garage had to pick the car up. They gave us a 207 to drive; they had the car for a week again, did a sync with a computer. I picked it up and this time I was on the motorway with my children in and it happened again; it’s very frightening in the second lane doing 70mph, the AA had to recover us. Up until then I think the garage thought we were making it up because of the issues in the first place but I had the AA report and was going to pass it on to trading standards because it’s putting peoples lives at risk and the Peugeot garage are not bothered, now they have our sale that’s it. Picked the car up after a while, by this time I am very stressed out. Anyway, there’s damage to the horrid wheel trims and marks on the plastic panels on the drivers door the garage admit responsibility take it back the next day they fix the wheel trims and wait for the other parts, pick the car up at 5.15pm on the17th of June I set of to work at 5.45pm same night and 5mins down road loss of power and lights on dash, as you can imagine by this time I’ve lost it. I drove straight to the Peugeot garage and told them to shove the car where the sun don’t shine. What a nightmare to get our money back, we will have to take them to court which will cost and be a long time. We asked for a 308sw which, is advertised like our first car at £99950, the picture shows alloys and tinted glass but we can’t have one because it’s a different deal so at the moment they have offered us a dark blue 308. I DONT WANT DARK BLUE if I did I would have bought a dark blue, I just wish someone would HELP, I’m not being unreasonable am I ? If I get a replacement I’m going to look at trading it in for a non-Peugeot car.

We have had the same problem with the Turbo charger. Last June, six days out of warranty, the car failed and cost in excess of £2,500 for repairs and this has happened again now. The anti-pollution shows faulty on the display. There is lack of power, extractor fan runs on when engine is switched off, depollution system faulty showing on display. This was checked by Peugeot and confirmed, traced to ignition timing out, turbo faulty, turbo pump fault. Less than six months later, we are back to square one. Watch this space for results - Marjorie Potts from Devon

Submitted: 2010-08-03 | ID: 45226

Tony Nay, Cumberland

Peugeot 308 2008

Love the car,60+m.p.g,smooth, quiet, good performance solo & towing a caravan, but pulls to left on most roads (dealer says they can’t find anything wrong and have not felt it pull left). Paintwork very soft, soon marks around handles and boot release, very disappointed with Peugeot’s response to my rear brake disc corrosion (not our problem), even the dealer has not made a goodwill gesture towards us, even though we have bought 2 new cars in 3 years off them. Still love the car.

I also have a pull to the left..only 22 months old. The garage can’t find out why and have now said it’s a feature - Catherine Blake from West Lothian (Linlithgowshire)

I’m thinking about buying the same car, we too have a caravan, is the 1.6 a good towing car? - from England

Hi, I have recently bought a 308 1.6 HDI from a Peugeot main dealer - the pulling to the left is a major concern I have with the car - been back to the main dealers 3 times in a month, wheel alignement checked, tryes swapped left to right, 4 wheel geometry checks, test drive done by Peugeot technician - keep getting the same response from them - there’s nothing wrong with car!!!. So have now reported the issue to VOSA. I feel this is a major safety issue - Andy Royle from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 2010-08-01 | ID: 45228

Waleed Shirbeeny, Egypt

Peugeot 308 2008

I have the same car 308 2008 petrol automatic trans. I noticed this slight tendency to pull to the left. With this exception, it is a nice car.

Submitted: 2010-07-17 | ID: 45232

Andrea Silverton, Cornwall

Peugeot 308 2009

Personally I cannot fault the car, but I think it is better to opt for the Sport model because you can have the HDI 110 engine with the 6 speed gearbox and also you get cruise control and a centre armrest on the Sport editions. Even though the ride on Sport models can be very bumpy/ bouncy I think its worth it and you also get lovely 17" Alloys compared to my ugly 16" alloys. If I where to go back in time I would opt for the Sport over the Verve anyday. More to the point the car is fantasticly built and the materials are far better than what you would get in a Volkswagen Group Car. The engine isn’t the most progressive but it has a substancial amount of power for me to overtake other cars and for when towing but on the open roads it feels to over worked due to not having the 6th gear and also because the car is on the heavy side. I would certainly recommend any 308 with the HDI 110 engine but not the HDI 90 engine as it struggles to pull the car.

Submitted: 2010-07-04 | ID: 45222

David Jaundrell, Shropshire

Peugeot 308 2009

My auto box will not change gear after acceleration No amount of argueing with Peugeot will get them to help me. They say it is for ’safety’ and a ’characteristic’ It is actually a mapping problem I think, see for yourself <a href="http://www.davidjaundrell.co.uk/308cc/" target="_blank">http://www.davidjaundrell.co.uk/308cc/</a>

Submitted: 2010-06-14 | ID: 45249

Oliver Thompson, Northern Ireland

Peugeot 308 207

Fantastic cars, I really don’t understand why people buy Golfs and Astras because they are very expensive compared to this My 308 Sport 1600cc SE 110 is an excellent car and its far better looking than a Golf or Astra and far better to drive. The engine is extremely keen to rev and provides excellent torque low down for only being 1.6. On the road it is extremely smooth and refined and road noise as well as wind noise is next to non existant in the cabin, the suspension provides a good subtle ride and corners with absolute precision. In the car it doesn’t get much better because the interior is flooded with light partly due to the massive wind screen and the SE glass roof, the seats are very supportive and are lovely and comfortable. The dash is very well designed with the highest quality of materials used, the new Golf doesnt even match the Peugeot for interior quality! Overall in my opinion its the best European small family hatch out there! I have had NO problems at all which shows Peugeots new quality programme has worked well.

Submitted: 2010-05-25 | ID: 45223

Rob Elliott, England

Peugeot 308 2009

So why won’t Peugeot accept there is a problem with the 308 CC veering to the left under normal driving conditions? We have a new 308 CC with under 600 miles on the clock veering to the left which is accentuated under braking. Tyre pressures set to owner handbook spec, tracking should be OK on brand new car. Local dealership had the car in and after about 2 hours phoned us and could find nothing wrong!!! Contacted Peugeot Customer Services who let us know by text that a Customer Services Manager would be in touch during next 6 working days. Okay so Easter got in the way but all we got was another text saying our local dealership would be willing to explore any problems! How can veering to the left be a ’safety feature’ in the UK when that’s where we find pedestrians?!!!! At the moment I wish I’d never bought this car, I don’t hold out much hope of Peugeot resolving the problem! My other car is a Land Rover Freelander and that’s where you do get brilliant customer service!!<br />

Having the same problem in Australia. Did you get a fix? Spoils what is otherwise a great car to drive - Sharon Cowan-Lunn from Australia

I’m having the same problem with my 308 CC, it’s less then 6 months old and pulling to the left. I have taken it backk to the dealer 4 times to be told that it’s my tyres (which are at the right presure and the balancing is correct). They came up with the fact it’s my tyres and apperently 308s are sensitive to the road. In that case how come, when I took it for a test drive it didn’t pull ... Have you sorted your problem now? - Laura Keay from Shropshire

Hi, have you sorted your steering problems with you 308cc? Below is my issues! I wonder if you can help me. I am having steering problems with my Peugeot 308cc that is not even 4 months old yet. Basically, it does not drive in a straight line and hasn’t since it was new. It has been back to the dealer about 4 or 5 times now and they can not fix the fault. They have tried adjusting tyre pressures, tracking, 4 wheel laser alignment and even put smaller wheels on as they thought it was the size of the wheels making it pull. An example: if you are driving in lane 3 of a motorway, don’t hold the steering wheel tightly and pull right, it will pull to the left and within 200-300 yards, you would be on the hard shoulder. I don’t think this is safe! I have spoken to VOSA but it doesn’t come into their area as it would not have sudden catastrophic failure. Trading Standards showed interest and said that I would have grounds to reject the car or get a refund. Any help that you could give me on this would be very grateful - from Kent

I have just had to replace all the tyres on my 308cc having done only 17,000 miles from brand new. The 2 front tyres were worn down to the metal bandings on the inside and I only discovered this when the tyre was flat and I could not reinflate it. I naturally thought that the tracking was out excessively although still only 2 years old. Having paid for this to be done the garage reported that the tracking was within 2 mm tolerence. Peugoet dealer said that the wear was acceptable and he did not know how we drive! - Andrew Mellett from Somerset

I am on my third set of front tyres and the car has done 33k.! The wear is on the inside wall/tread and goes down to the wire. This is not noticeable when looking at the tyre from the front so can catch you out. I have had everything checked and Peugeot are surprised by this wear and can offer no explanation. The car is great apart from this unusual and dangerous tyre wear.How long do you keep throwing tyres at this car! - Tony Doggett from Cheshire

Submitted: 2010-04-20 | ID: 45244

Christine Young, Durham

Peugeot 308 2009

I have recently purchased a Peugeot 308 tvi 5 dr hatchback. Whilst the car has a great stylish and stream lined look both inside and out and the petrol consumption is very good there are however a few what I think are bad points. Firstly the main concern is the drivers windscreen wiper which happens to be shorter than the passenger side so if you are tall the top half of the screen is still obscured after wiping also the way the wipers are set up, the passenger wiper has the last downward stroke so that means there is always a line left in the drivers field of vision. Not good. I have tried to find if there is a way of swapping the wipers over so the larger wiper is on the drivers righthand side but apparently the wiper timing mechinism would need to be altered so they would not catch each other. There would be no problem if the driver was on the lefthand side. I would like to know if the company/Peugeot garages can modify the wiper or give a solution to solve this issue or if anything can be done to aleviate this problem? Other than this the car is a nice drive, quite nippy and has good fuel consumption.

Submitted: 2010-03-01 | ID: 45220

Ed, Yorkshire

Peugeot 308 2007

I had a chance to test drive a 308 the other day and was struck by the strong tendency to pull to the left. The salesman told me it was the road camber, then the tyre pressure, then the tracking, then different tyres etc. If this is a safety feature it’s lunacy .... other than that it was a nice car. Reading the previous reviews and the left pull thing was interesting.

Submitted: 2010-02-24 | ID: 45221

Stephen Helm, Yorkshire

Peugeot 308 2009

I took charge of the car in January 2009 and I have now done 12,500 miles in it without any problems at all. The car is well finished, comfortable to drive and the 1.6ltr petrol engine performs very well and has enconomy to boot (ave 43 mpg). Nice brisk acceleration around town and cruises well on the motorway.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-01-30 | ID: 45210

Rod Bailey, Yorkshire

Peugeot 308 2008

GOOD STUFF: Cheap Tax, 62MPG, Big inside. That’s it.. Yep thats it, I can’t think of any thing else. The BAD STUFF: Had new F/R Discs 9,000ml,. Two engine oil leaks, Six trips to Bristol Street Motors in Worksop to have a fuel leak sorted - ended up having new tank. It had new mirror switch and yes it does tend to pull to left, I sorted this with a trip to Kwikfit and asking them to set the track spot on as if you have it set to within the tolerance it pulls. The head lights are made this way or so Peugeot say. When you use full beam and there is damp in the air i.e Mist Fog Spray. You have pillars of light shining to the heavens and you must try and look around them in order to see ahead. The ride is so hard I should invest in a gum shield. Loads of road noise from rear of car. Oh yes the intermittent wipers are auto, so the faster you go so do the wipers. only more often than not you dont need them to speed up as it is only road spray. You end up doing them your self as and when you need to give the screen the odd wipe. 9/10 times this makes the intermittent setting of no use. The cost of a service that should include an engine air filter is high due to them having to drop the engine to even get to the filter. Making it hard to find some else to do the service if you should ever wish. The list goes on..

Submitted: 2009-12-23 | ID: 45207

Harry Wiseman, Devon

Peugeot 308 2009

I read so many conflicting reports I was doubtful about buying it. However, I am delighted. It is a comfortable, quiet, economical workhorse and a delight to drive. I have owned many cars, Mercedes, Lancias, Fords, BMWs, Fiats, Renaults, Toyotas, Nissans, Opels, Volkswagens and there isn’t such a thing as a perfect car, its all about compromise. As a compromise the Peugeot 308 is an excellent all rounder. If I had a criticism it is price, because the Euro is so strong the price in sterling is rather high but that is the fault of our Government not the car.

Submitted: 2009-12-08 | ID: 45209

Michael Head, Hertfordshire

Peugeot 308 2008

I have test driven the 308 SW today. The vehicle was pulling to the left and I was told that it needed to go through the workshops and that it would be sorted then, however, after reading the comments here and on the Peugot owners forum which mirrored those here I think I will stay with my Renault Senic which does not pull to the left and is more comfortable.

Submitted: 2009-12-07 | ID: 45208

Gill Regan, Essex

Peugeot 308 2007

I Purchased this vehicle with 4,000 miles on the clock and have had nothing but problems with the drivers window, locking mechanism etc. It is now back at the dealership for the 9th time in four months. Had new BSI (main brain) now having new rubber on window, new lifting mechanism. Any idea’s as the main dealership is running out of idea’s. Peugueot at Coventry are now also involved with this case

Submitted: 2009-10-30 | ID: 45211

Jack O&apos;C, Northern Ireland

Peugeot 308 2007

I absolutely love my 308; it’s a fantastic motorway cruiser and it’s great craic on the b roads. (I had the mk5 golf 1.9 tdi before and it really peaved me off, it was so boring to drive and the engine sounded like a canal boat and it drove worse than a canal boat). The 308 is a completely different car and the 1.6 hdi is a gem, I’m actually getting 63mpg on the motorways and the quality and build quality is so far ahead of others in this class. I’ve owned this car since 2007 and it’s great; fair enough, I have had a couple of rattles but partly my own fault. I can recommend this car to anybody buying one, forget about the Golf, Focus, Astra, C4 etc... Get one of these!!!

Submitted: 2009-09-23 | ID: 45212

Mario Magro, Oxfordshire

Peugeot 308 2008

Owned for the last 16 months. Very economical and impressive stylish design. Offers good comfort in the inside and boasts of a number of gadgets that enhance the drivers feeling inside the cabin. One major problem with this car is that the experience behind the steering wheel is an absolute NIGHTMARE. When driving, you have to grip the steering wheel and exhert a lot of strength to maintain the car in a straight trajectory. If the steering wheel is left free for JUST TWO SECONDS the car would IMMEDIATELY LOOSE ITS TRAJECTORY VERY HEAVILY, no matter at what speed or the condition of the road surface. In actual fact, this renders the car, the most UNSAFE and UNSECURE. Peugeot claim that this is not a defect but just a characteristic of the car. If this is the case, I really wonder how the PEUGEOT 308 has in fact won the Golden Wheel Award. I reported these problems to the local agent of Peugeot on 4 different occasions. They simply denied that the car has any problems since all the tests they carried out did not reveal any mechanical flaws. I am REALLY DISAPPOINTED that with all these DEFECTS the local agent persists glorifying the car as working in perfect condition. Writing to the mother company in France was also a shock. My complaint was diverted to Peugeot UK branch which in turn advised me to revert back to my local agent for help... so, BACK TO SQUARE ONE. Sixteen months after acquiring the car, these problems have remained unsolved. Any advice on how I could proceed towards the resolution problems cited will be greatly appreciated.

I’ve only had mine a couple of weeks but have noticed a tendency for it to pull to the left, but as there’s a bit of wheel wobble I’ll get the tracking checked. No surprise the main company don’t want to know.....had the same problem with Seat and them going on about franchises. Maybe get an AA report and submit that or print it in the local rag. Only real way is to walk with your money. I had to work so hard to buy my 308 and Peugeot won’t get my money next time! - Lisa Mead from Essex

I am having the same problem on a new 59 plate. I have been told by my dealership management that it is a "safety feature" of the car. After speaking to several technicians and Peugeot customer care they have never heard of this "feature" and, along with my friends and family, have never come across it before either. The matter is ongoing and is due in for examination on 7th December. If it it still there I will be changing the car - Martin Miller from East Lothian (Haddingtonshire)

Hi, I have a 08 308 1.6 HDi 110 Sport and my car was pulling to the left alot, I took it to see if the wheels needed aligned and they were fine. It turned out that uneven tyre wear was the cause of it in my case. Also I had a light on my dashboard ’Depolution Filter’, the car struggled to start and when it did start i revved it to about 4000 rpm and the light dissapeared soon after and I have had no problems since with it. Apart from that I find the passenger level for adjusting the back of the seat quite stiff. Overall apart from these few things I am extremely happy with my 308. I had the choice of a Focus, Golf, Astra and my 308 and I do not regret taking my 308 because its economical and lovely and comfortable to drive, I also love the centre arm rest!! - Jack 0’ Callaghan from Northern Ireland

You think you’ve got a problem....? http://www.davidjaundrell.co.uk/308cc/ - David Jaundrell from Shropshire

I agree totally with everything Mario said and can add that when there is the least bit of snow or ice my car is also a NIGHTMARE and VERY UNSAFE. All the other cars in my street cope fine and I get stuck and need pushed. Same recently at a festival when it was the only car to get stuck in a bit of mud. With regards to the steering my local dealer said that it is due to the width of the wheels on such a small car. I love the look of the car but I will be forced to trade it in before winter as I couldn’t cope with another winter worrying about the road conditions. - Gwen Scott from Scotland

With regards to the depollution problem. I had a problem with my 407 HDI - had fuel filter changed for £40.00 - problem gone - Mark Farrimond from England

Submitted: 2009-09-22 | ID: 45213

Peter Owen, Conwy

Peugeot 308 2009

Excellent spec estate with ample pulling power from the quiet 1.6 diesel engine combined with a 6 speed Gearbox gives a combined 58 mpg whilst motoring at speed - not bad for a 130 g/km of CO2 emissions! The level of trim is excellent with plenty of room inside for the family including the dog. The Dual Zone Air Conditioning combined with the massive all glass roof provides a really comfotable envirnoment to spend time on long journeys. Road handling and steering accuracy is excellent and the entire driving experience feels safe and secure with good lighting and excellent driving visibility - mirrors fold to ease garage parking. Intend to keep the vehicle for many years, and feel confident that the high build quality will not dissapoint. A definate 5 Star estate car which is well worth the £20K new price tag.

Submitted: 2009-09-17 | ID: 45260

Berker Celik, England

Peugeot 308 2008

Here is the brand new Peugeot which has excellent sound isolation and comfortable suspension. An economic engine and automatic gearbox too...

Submitted: 2008-10-27 | ID: 45242

Nick Garswood, Herefordshire

Peugeot 308 2007

A really nice car. The 308 has sporty lines and comes with some nice standard kit. Quite good on fuel and nice and quiet engine. My only gripe is the driving position, why is everything set so far over to the left? Come on Peugeot, this should be a great car not just a nice car.

Submitted: 2007-11-20 | ID: 45243

• "11000 miles on the clock it has developed a ticking noise behind the dashboard drivers side,only seems to happen when doing approx.50mph and engine i..." (phil apsey, 19/09/2017 19:12:55)
  • "my peugeot 308 1.6thp 4 speed normally driving everything is fine . when i starting driving first gear to second gear normal driving student i hard ..." (BENT, 19/09/2017 13:25:39)
  • "Hello, I have just purchased a 2011 308sw estate. It has developed a problem that my local mechanic has been unable to resolve. When I switch on t..." (Vaughan, 16/09/2017 10:40:08)
  • "Hi, my Peugeot's windscreen wipers started on their own without the keys being in the ignition and even after the keys were put in the ignition I cou..." (Sara, 10/09/2017 15:18:18)
  • "While topping engine up with oil after light said oil was low. I accidently forgot to replace the oil cap and drove around 10 mile and smelling like..." (Annie C, 23/08/2017 07:03:10)

• Paul's question has been answered: "The seatbelt warning buzzing keeps going off randomly whatever seats are occupied on my Peugeot 308SW Can they be disabled. They are driving me - Patrick White from Wiltshire' '..." (21/09/2017 12:42:20)
  • john's question has been answered: "Hi, I found this thread with interest. My 2008 308 Sport does exactly the same. Drinks oil like crazy. Blue smoke on first gear once warmed up. It run - Martin from Berkshire' '..." (20/09/2017 10:29:45)

Peugeot 308 2011 road test report

Peugeot has given the 308 a mid-life nip and tuck, which has the happy result of doing away with the earlier 308’s beaky nose and replacing it with a much smoother look. Overall, it’s a welcome update for the 308’s looks, while under the bonnet are revised engines for greater economy and lower emiss [...]

Peugeot 308 2011 road test report

Peugeot 308 CC road test report

The 308 Coupe Cabriolet has pulled off a trick few other makers of four-seat convertibles can manage by making the 308 CC feel very rigid and flex-free. There’s a definite up-turn in the quality of cabin materials and all of the pieces appear to be connected to each other in a fashion that suggests [...]

Peugeot 308 CC  road test report

Peugeot 308 S HDi 90 5dr road test report

When Peugeot decided that the popular small family car the 307 had come to the end of its natural lifespan you can imagine that someone high up in the company basically said “same again boys” or words to that effect, as the result, the Peugeot 308, looks and feels very much like its predecessor and [...]

Peugeot 308 S HDi 90 5dr road test report

Peugeot 308 SW Sport THP 150 road test report

The Peugeot 308 SW may have set up a whole new niche in this sector. Not only has the car a big boot – it has seven seats, which means that this car has no direct rival in this sector. We tested the 1.6-litre petrol engine 308 SW in Sport trim, which starts at a price of £17,495. Performance Our t [...]

Peugeot 308 SW Sport THP 150 road test report