Renault Megane consumer car reviews and road tests

Renault Megane

Renault Megane consumer reviews by year of make: 1997  1998  1999  2000  2001  2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013

Renault Megane consumer car reviews

Bill, Malaysia

Renault Megane MEGANE COUPE CABRIOLET 2006 - 2009

I'll skip all the common issues such as leaking roof, bad seals, kaput regulators, etc. Down here we face overheating problems with the engines & gearboxes. My trusted mechanic refused to fix my car from day 1 due to bad history with other Renault models. An ex Renault mechanic advised me to run an oil cooler to my gearbox. The reason they gave me was Renault cars aren't built for tropical countries.

Submitted: 2016-06-29 | ID: 133108

Barbara, Northumberland

Renault Megane MEGANE COUPE 2009 - 2013

i know this may be a strange question but do the heatert air con controls light up?? in the evening everything else on the dash lights up on my car but the controls dont and you cannot see what settings youhave, its 3 switches fan control , motor speed and direction but no illumination is this right ??

Submitted: 2016-03-17 | ID: 129124

matilda, Derbyshire

Renault Megane MEGANE COUPE CABRIOLET SPECIAL EDITIONS 2006 - 2009

Own a 1.6VVT and have previously had a diesel Renault Megane convertible and loved them both. The petrol version is great and very good mpg achieving 50+ on long runs Never had any issues with the car, just love the look of it and the way the roof opens and closes so effortlessly. Ioften read about the seating and can vouch for the fact that there is easily enough room to fit 4 people in the car and have ridden in the back with the roof up and the roof down and found it most satisfying. Its stylish and lovely to drive, overall can't say a bad word about it and would always go for the Megane convertible in the future without hesitation.

Submitted: 2015-08-12 | ID: 119661

justin, Lancashire

Renault Megane MEGANE COUPE CABRIOLET 2006 - 2009

Just bought the wife an 06 plate Megane Convertible, the STOP light and handbrake light are on and it keeps bleeping. I have stopped the car and checked doors, roof etc... I haven't a clue about cars so don't know what else to check? Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Hi i have the 06 megane convertible this happened to me last month and turned out the Brake fluid was low, topped it up and problem solved. Hope this helps - from Norfolk

Submitted: 2015-03-04 | ID: 112746

Byron Hynds, Armagh

Renault Megane MEGANE CABRIOLET 1997 - 1999

Hi all, I'm new to this so please bear with me lol. I have the Megane Dynamique and I've seen the few comments about the windows. In the past 2 weeks my passenger side window has stopped working altogether and now the back window behind the driver is not working either. I noticed that Renault recognised it as a fault they are willing to fix but does anyone know if they are still doing it? My car is 7yrs old. Really appreciate your replies, thanks.

Submitted: 2015-02-09 | ID: 111160

Nick, Yorkshire

Renault Megane MEGANE SPORT SALOON 2003 - 2005

I have had nothing but problems since buying this car in 2012. My drivers window has not worked for a year and my passenger one has just stopped working. Also my stop and warning light randomly flashes and beeps at me. The beeping has got steadily worse, so much so that I will be driving on a straight road, not changing gear, and it will be constantly flashing and beeping the whole time. It has been into the garage multiple times to solve this problem but they can not find what it is after doing many tests on the car. Looking forward to having enough money to get rid.

Submitted: 2014-04-21 | ID: 94499

Paul wright, West Midlands

Renault Megane MEGANE COUPE CABRIOLET 2006 - 2009

Hi all, I have just brought my wife the convertable 1.5dci 2006 with 97000 miles on it. We have had it for two days and discovered a knocking when hitting bumps more noticeable when driving slowly. The small garage I brought it from said it's the anti roll/strengthening struts which they will replace. I have tonight found a rattle on the rear quarter glass when I have investigated it there was a bolt missing from the bottom of the mechanism easy fix as I work in the automotive glass industry. The other two issues I have and need advise from you all is the passenger door glass is intermittent in operation looking at the wiring the quick fix has been done where you remove the foam packing around the wire. Do I need to change the regulator on the motor?. Second fault just noticed there are no main lights on the drivers side only main beam and no fog light on the passenger side rear? Is this common ? I know how to reach the bulb but is there any other problems with the electrics I need to be aware of? Yours thankfully paul. P.s. Wife is pleased with the car apart from the points above and I am extremely surprised how nice it drives.

Submitted: 2014-04-15 | ID: 94277

Jenny, England

Renault Megane 2004

Terrible car, had it 4 years and in that time had 2 fan belts go, a wheel bearing, a coil, the dashboard display (fixed to £100 thanks to Watchdog) reverse light switch, battery, all window regulators, keycard and card reader, front and back brakes. The car has cost me more than it’s worth and I am now in the dilemma, do I cut my losses and get rid of it or hope it lasts another 6 months to try and get some mileage from the repairs ! Next time it won’t be a Renault!

Submitted: 2014-04-07 | ID: 93554

Ben McDonald, Cheshire

Renault Megane 2005

I bought my car 2 years ago and was kind of forced to go for the 1600 petrol as my partner at the time had 9 points and this looked like the best option to have a nice looking car that wouldn’t cripple us with high insurance. The car has done 2 years of 30,000 per year and only just been serviced (since I’ve owned it) once, 3 weeks ago. It has been used as an attractive work horse. But apart from coil packs being replaced and 3 sets of headlight bulbs, it’s been trouble free. When I got it serviced I was a little concerned as it started to make a grinding sound when starting from cold, this was a replacement of one of the cam sprockets, which I also got the timing belt and water pump done at the same time, all costing £700, not bad for 60K miles. Interesting to hear people have trouble with the windows, I did too, but managed to fix it with a spray of WD40 in the electric connectors £3.50! My situation has now changed and my commute is no way near what I was doing, so I’ve decided to keep the car, My new partner lives 120 miles away and I do the journey once a week with no worries, concerns or issues, it’s a nice relaxing drive. It could just do with more power for the Yorkshire moors, but saying that it will sit at 80 and beyond comfortably all day. I do feel the car goes through tyres quickly, but my local tyre shop tells me it’s normal for a front wheel drive car; mine does have the 17 inch wheels, which I’m told use a softer compound tyre. I’ve not experienced any leaks in the car, only the odd line of water on the inside of the glass when I get it hand washed (pressure washers). When I say it’s been the perfect companion, I really do mean it.

Submitted: 2014-03-07 | ID: 46132

Kathy Smith, England

Renault Megane 2007

Bought my coupe convertible brand new. The first month it had a leaking roof and now at 29 000 miles the gear box has seized. Renault are not interested. I will never ever buy a new car from them again. Two thousand five hundred to repair, there should be a law against it!

Submitted: 2013-09-28 | ID: 46133

Peter Ramsbottom, Surrey

Renault Megane 2008

For me this is excellent value for money, an absolute bargain! It has a 2.0 litre engine, electronic fuel injection, variable valve timing, 16 valves, leather seats, air-conditioning, radio, cassette player, 6 CD auto-changer, built-in spotlights, alloy wheels, trip computer, electric windows and mirrors, remote central locking, alarm, immobiliser and, if all of that wasn’t enough, a fully retractable electric cabriolet roof! It’s styled by Karmann and looks beautiful. The four leather sports seats are very comfortable and supportive. I will not soon get tired of its party piece, watching the roof stow away in seconds, revealing the real looks of this car. Only 74,000 miles on this one, no discernible problems, I expect to keep it for many years. Very happy!

Hi I havd the same car just had cambelt and water pump changed noticed a small hose by engine And told garage they said it doesn't go nowhere and that it is common on these cars do u have a hose on the right side of engine that dont go nowhere please help - from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 2013-06-04 | ID: 46131

David Smyth, County Armagh

Renault Megane 2007

I bought this car 4 months ago with 48000 miles on it and it looks fab, but that is as far as it goes .The first thing was the drivers window would not go all the way up, so I got that fixed. Then the boot was leaking, so I got new seals on that. Then the roof leaked, so I got that fixed. Now, the first time I have used the car with the roof down the back window won’t go up. Also, there is a juddering when the car is warm and in first gear and on top of that the boot is full of water again. This car is rubbish, never buy one. Also, I’ve just had to put a timing belt kit on, which should be replaced at 5 years old even with low miles.

Hi Dave, just making you aware that Renault UK would have paid for your window problems as this is a common fault and can be done as long as the car hasn’t done over 100000 miles and is less than ten years old - Andrew Duthie from England

I can also vouch for this. Renault have fixed two of my windows covering 76 percent of the cost. - Ian Beaver from Lancashire

Hi what was the problem with drivers window not going all the way up thanks I've got same problem it's about 5 mil from top cheers daz - from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2013-04-06 | ID: 46129

John James, England

Renault Megane 2011

I don’t know what’s all the fuss with French cars anyway? After previously owning an Alfa Romeo 156, Mercedes A-Class, Audi A3, VW Golf MK4, Toyota Auris, Lancia Y, and last, but not least a Renault clio II (not in an particular order), all I can say is that the Megane Hatch is a really good car to drive. A true competitor in its class. The fuel consumption is ridiculous in a good way (1.5 dci 105 HP). I bought it brand new back in Jan 2012 so it’s still pretty new with around 20,000 km on the clock, that’s not a lot but it works like a charm with no problems whatsoever. It’s amazingly comfy in comparison with German manufactures. You can tell that after a few hours of driving. The Megane has a bunch of equipment, unbelievable breaks, (I dare to say the best in it’s class and the steering has the precision of a sniper. No interior rattling or squeaking even on the bad roads and the interior is very nicely designed as far as I’m concerned. The one bad thing I have found so far is a lack of legroom in the back seats for taller people, but it’s nothing dramatic. Also, the boot space is one of the biggest in it’s class if not the biggest. The car is very nice to drive, with a laid back style that is enjoyable. Its suspension is soft, but not too much as suffered by earlier Renault models and it handles the curves well. All in all way to go Renault!

Submitted: 2013-03-31 | ID: 46299

Mike S, England

Renault Megane 2007

I bought my Megane in 2010, it is the automatic version 2.0l. It came with a two year RAC platinum warranty from the dealer. I had to pay half the cost which was about £350. I am not a big fan of warranties as they often don’t cover anything but this one did. Since having it I have had a few problems the first being the horn, which worked on and off and which I then had replaced the other two problems related to sensors. The first to go was the lambda sensor, which caused the car to go into limp mode and a warning on the dash, this was diagnosed quite quickly by Halfords. The second took longer. The dashboard warning ’Check Gearbox’ kept coming on and the car again went into limp mode. I took it to a Renault dealer and they found no fault code. They re-set the computer, but it still happened. In the end I took it to a gearbox specialist who identified it was the gearbox sensor, no idea why Renault couldn’t find the fault? The only other problem has been a damp shock absorber. Halfords are excellent and when the two year warranty ended I extended for another year with the RAC for £195 as all the repairs were covered even the shock. No leaks with the roof and I’m so happy with the car that I will probably get another in a few years as I only have about 42k on the clock. The leg room in the back isn’t great, but that’s not an issue as there are only usually two of us in the car.

Submitted: 2013-02-10 | ID: 46128

John Webster, Cornwall

Renault Megane 2011

Where, oh where do people get their fuel figures from? The car does 45 to 52 m.p.g. and that’s it, you won’t get any more. I bought my 2011 1.5 tom tom just over a year ago and the car has now done 22000 miles with no trouble. I’ve been pleased with it as the last 20 years I’ve always had Mercs and BMW, so bought the Megane to get 60 mpg, but the best I’ve ever achieved is 52.2 on a 500 mile motorway run. Normally I get about 47, which is ok, but not fantastic. The only other thing that annoys me is the 6 speed gear box as it’s only a 1.45 and you are always changing gear and can’t hit 6th gear ’til at least 50 mph. It would be a better car with a 5 speed, otherwise not a bad car really.

"6th till atleast 50mph". that sounds about right to me - from North Ayrshire

Submitted: 2013-01-12 | ID: 46298

Cenk Goktalay, Turkey

Renault Megane 2012

Dear All, I purchased my 2012 Renault Megane Sport Tourer with big enthusiasm because I loved the design and the general look and quality of the vehicle. Unfortunately, the part about the quality changed after I purchased the car. Only after 600 km. I started getting huge noise problems from the doors. Over a period of 7 months I took it in 8 times, 6 times for the noise issue related to the doors and the sunroof. They changed the door seals and the seals for the sunroof. Partially, it was fixed, however, the noise issue still continues to a certain extent making the care feel like I am driving a 10 year old bad quality vehicle. The other two times were for the noise issue from the dashboard and noise issue from the axle. These two, they were able to fix, however, as I mentioned the interior noise from the doors remains and it gets worse by day. There seems to be nothing left that they can do. Head office Turkey is terrible. They pretend to care, but they do nothing. On the other hand, the engine, transmission and the general drive of the vehicle is very good. My suggestion is, don’t buy one unless you trust your luck.

Hello Cenk, I had the similar problem; there is noise which I can hear (because one of my ears is deaf like a post) and others can not hear this noise coming from back side; like a rumor coming from a deep cave... It gets worse when the road surface is not smooth; When I listen over dashboard no noise comes in the front end; but where I drive I can clearly hear a very much disturbing noise such as "glugluglu." They run a test drive but technician could not hear it. I have been using the same car but older version: 2010 and there was no noise at all with good year tyres. This time they use Continental conti sport contact... I do not know what to do but use it... - Taner Sayin from Turkey

Submitted: 2012-12-16 | ID: 46347

Steve Hartland, Essex

Renault Megane 2012

I owned my fair share of BMW’s and Mercedes, my last German car was a Audi A4 Cabriolet. I needed a distance commuting car with a bit of style and fancied a cabriolet to help combat driver fatigue. I had driven pre-2006 model Megane Cabriolets and was not overly impressed. I read that Renault had increased build quality so took a fresh look and test drove a 2006 1.9 Dci (facelift) model. There was a noticeable improvement in overall build quality, the car even handled better due to new design front suspension. The build quality of this model Renault is as good as the German cars I have driven and at a fraction of the price. In each of the cabriolets and softops I have owned all of them have suffered from a degree of water leaks; the Renault was no worse than cars three times the price. In short I am so pleased I am buying a second Megane CC for my partner. Well done Renault for giving us a car that puts a smile on my face whilst keeping the pounds in my pocket - superb !

Submitted: 2012-11-27 | ID: 46125

Steve, Lancashire

Renault Megane 2007

This is my second Megane Tourer. My first was a 2003, one owner car from Ireland with 112k on the clock. It had had a hard life towing and it was not looked after particularly well. However, it was 8 years old when I bought it and only £800 with FSH! I still have it now as a tow car for my race bike transporter. It needs a new clutch (now on 128k on the original clutch!). Apart from that I had to fit a new turbo when I bought it, hence getting it so cheap. My 07 model my wife uses day in, day out and it has been faultless apart from a couple of expected issues with any second hand car. It’s just had its second cam belt at 80k miles and I’ve had to strip and refurbish the rear calipers. It’s just had its first set of replacement front discs at 84k miles. Can you believe that? 84k miles from a set of discs? Brilliant!

Submitted: 2012-11-11 | ID: 46346

Mandy Henshaw, England

Renault Megane 2007

Don’t get one of these cars. I bought it new and it leaked in from day one. Renault managed to sort of stop it, but it always leaked slightly until 5 years down the line it was pouring in through the drivers side. I finally got sick of it and bought a Peugeot 107 last week. Plus, the air con went after 2 years, the passenger side rear window opened and wouldn’t close, Renault said they would pay 50% of the cost but it was still in excess of £350 so I didn’t have it done. The part on the Internet was £55, but I decided enough was enough after 5 years of getting wet and got rid of it. Don’t buy one, you have been warned!

Submitted: 2012-10-29 | ID: 46127

Natalie, Lancashire

Nothing but trouble! I will never get a French car agaain :/

Submitted: 2012-10-15 | ID: 46126

Lindiwe, South Africa

Renault Megane 2009

I bought the car less than 2 years ago and although it was pre-owned the previous owner drove it for only a year. I have encountered so many problems from roof leakages, which the dealer also confirmed to be common, to mechanic failures almost evey after two months. Now the car is not even moving and needs a new key. Even when the key is not broken it just fails to recognise it. The maintanence and mechanical expense are far more than the actual price. I loved the car for the first 3 months and have hated it for the rest of the time.

Submitted: 2012-09-13 | ID: 46122

Michael Powell, England

Renault Megane 2004

Nice little car. Some silicon spray on the roof seal keeps it supple. The mechanism is made by Karmann of Germany who make a similar roof for quite a few cars, with similar levels of success. Such a roof is very complex and will need looking after. There are lots of hinges, seals and switches. If you are prepared to stop the opening process part way, you can get at everything and spray some WD40 and clean out. I did the same with a Saab, a Mercedes SL and an MGF. None of them were perfect, but the Renault roof is as good as it gets. If you are the sort of motorist who just wants to get into a car and use it without having understanding of what it’s doing and how, then you will be better off with a plain saloon.

Submitted: 2012-08-04 | ID: 46123

Gary King, Hertfordshire

Renault Megane 2012

Our car is now just over three weeks old and we are pleased overall. It drives really nice if a bit under powered. There are no leaks, but we did have a problem with the driver’s seat when a cable came loose and was poked out of the rear of the seat. The only other problem that we still have is that Renault Watford, who we bought the car from and with whom we part exchanged our Fiesta have still not settled the outstanding finance. Ford are now chasing us and the dealership keeps telling us they have sent cheques, even though Ford do not accept cheques anymore, only bank transfers. It seems that thay are only interested in selling us a car and do not return our calls, which is a shame because my wife is very happy with the car.

2007 Megane Cabriolet 1600 is the bane of my girlfriend’s life. Despite doing small, careful mileage, and regular servicing this car has persistant problems (e.g. cutting out whilst driving). "How many diagnostic tests and how much is it going to cost this time?", are regular questions. Don’t take my word for it; if you want to play a lottery then buy this model - Shaun Holden from England

Submitted: 2012-07-20 | ID: 46120

Denis Williams, Durham

Renault Megane 2010

Fantastic car! I have driven quite a lot in Germany where at 95mph I can see the mpg climb to 57mpg. I find the comfort superb, roadholding is firm enough (for me). I can carry a huge amount of stuff in it, but a criticism here, the rear seat squabs have to be left at home to get the most out of the boot area, otherwise the seat backs wont go right down. Only 3 faults after 28K miles in same number of months: The seat lumbar adjuster fell off every week, (had it fixed now) the rear washer dribbled and was useless, (now been fixed on 3rd visit) and it completely lost all its water a couple of times, but garage couldn’t find reason, however the second time it occured they changed the water pump and now all’s well. I change cars not because of age, but because I get bored after 18 months. This one is different. I might get the 1.2 turbo next.

Submitted: 2012-07-16 | ID: 45990

Phil, Wales

Renault Megane 2007

Now at 80k miles my Megane Sport Tourer averages 55miles per gallon (52 local and 54-58 motorways and cross country). It’s had three new windows, but these were replaced by Renault under warranty; they said it was a batch of poor widow motors. The boot now stuck shut. It does everything a car should, but will I have another? No! Because of such ridiculous processes such as the need to take put it on a garage ramp to change a headlamp resulting in a £45 bill at the Renault dealer - although it is guaranteed for 12 months!

Submitted: 2012-06-28 | ID: 46345

Hannah, Somerset

Renault Megane 2007

I bought my Megane second hand at the end of 2010 and it’s the most expensive mistake I ever made. I chose the car because it looked great and was a quiet comfortable ride; however problems began to appear soon after I hit 50,000 miles. 1. The biggest issue was the handbrake; the flimsy plastic button you are meant to press to release it snapped somewhere inside the mechanism leaving me unable to take the handbrake off (parked facing downhill on a VERY steep hill in front of a skip!). It would have cost around £250 to get it fixed at Renault, luckily I found the part through a breakers yard for £90 and had a kind mechanic replace it for me for £20. Still an expense to be avoided and an apparently common problem. 2. Another issue I had is that one of the engine coils somehow got wet and rusted, resulting in a complete lack of power to the engine, fixed for £200! 3. The boot stopped opening just after Christmas 2011. The boot space was a plus point with this car but no good if you can only get into it through the back seats! I tested it every few weeks to see if it would open again and finally, at the end of April 2012, it did! I assume it had got damp, not surprising when every time I opened the boot if it had been raining, I had to stand back while all the water drained off the boot. 4. Began to judder when driving, particularly in 3rd gear, I didn’t bother to get this problem sorted and got rid of it instead. 5. Fuel economy was terrible, never got more than 35mpg out of it. 6. The plastic on the handles inside the car doors started to peel off on its own and looked horrible. Every year when I had an annual service on the car it ended up costing me around £500. The parts are expensive and I would never ever even consider buying another Renault, best thing it was good for was as a part exchange and I now have a nice, reliable Ford Fiesta. My advice? Don’t go near these cars!

Submitted: 2012-05-10 | ID: 46300

Paul Coppell, England

Renault Megane 2006

Dont bother! In the first week of ownership the roof broke, then 2 months later we woke up to find a free extra "swimming pool" that had leaked through the roof. Renault never got to the bottom of this after much investigation, so I solved issue with the help of B&Q (Thanks Renault!), then two weeks ago my aircon broke and a strong burning smell filled the car. Now today my rear window has stuck and is now open about 3 inches. I took it to Renault Liverpool, who agreed to pay 62% towards fixing it as it’s a well known fault with this make of car, however, the bill still came in at £435.78 "for a window motor". Never, ever will I buy another Renault. Its only saving grace is its looks, but hey, it’s not always about the looks is it?

Submitted: 2012-04-11 | ID: 46124

Carlo, Lancashire

Renault Megane 2005

Hi, I bought my Megane CC in 2006 and I’ve never had any problems, it’s a very good car. I own a 1.6 vvt 115cv not diesel and I’ve been to Italy four times in it with no problems. I’m thinking to change it with the new model.

Submitted: 2012-03-21 | ID: 45991

Marcis, Ireland

Renault Megane 2011

I bought this car 6 months ago and I love it. It’s very economical, very good in corners and for a price very well equiped. I know it’s French, but they finally started to build good quality cars. It is only 6 months old, but if anything goes wrong, I will post.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2012-02-02 | ID: 46344

John Maddle, Derbyshire

Renault Megane 2006

I wish I had the Megane instead of the E-Class Merc I have. I bought the car for my wife second-hand at 1 year old and it has never let her down. The mileage is now 135,000 and it never misses a beat. Having experience of all types of cars I would definitely recommend buying one. The Merc has let me down 14 times in 2 years and with only 30,000 miles on the clock, so much for German quality!

Submitted: 2012-01-23 | ID: 46303

Tracy, England

Renault Megane 2005

I have a 55 plate Renault Megane sports tourer with 38,000 miles on the clock. I bought it 2 years ago with 19,000 miles on the clock. We have had nothing but problems with it since. It’s been serviced regularly and looked after, but now things seem to be going wrong. The cam belt needed changing, the head gasket went, the gear box got replaced and now the engine is juddering causing the whole car to shake violently with all the engine management lights coming on! I have paid 2 years finance on it and still have 2 years to pay! I cannot afford to get the car fixed and grudge paying for a car that is not in working order. I now question whether Renault knew that the car was not in the best of condition when they sold me it and why the previous owner traded it in at 19000 miles. Stay clear of this make and model!

Submitted: 2011-12-22 | ID: 46342

Steve Green, London

Renault Megane 2010

Hi! I bought the car new in July 2010 after having an earlier 2008 model. From day one this car has suffered with clutch noise when the pedal is pressed down. I returned it to the dealer for a checkup and after keeping it for diagnostics (lol) for 3 days it was returned back to me saying it was a characteristic of that model and not to worry as they all sound the same. complaint after complaint followed for the same fault and finally after 15 months and Renault Technical, France getting involved my dealer wants to take my car back in for another look at it. Great news, only there is a good chance that they are going to keep it over Christmas if they have to order some ’special parts’. Great cars, but rubbish customer service. Update to follow when I get it back.

Submitted: 2011-12-19 | ID: 46343

Simon H, Somerset

Renault Megane 2004

I bought this car new in September 2004, but had to wait for 6 weeks as there weren’t any available. Renault delivered on time with 11 miles on the clock. The car has now done 130,000 miles and is still going strong. There have been a few issues: Drivers window opened itself and wouldn’t close. Passenger door leaked into the door pocket. Injector light kept coming on. Renault sorted out the issues quickly. The injector light still comes on if I use Supermarket petrol, so I don’t. I must say I love the car. It carries me and my family, surf boards, camping gear, suitcases and the kitchen sink. It never complains and starts first time, every time. Still looks good inside and out. I am now looking for another one. Yes they are Renaults. Yes they aren’t perfect but I have mine serviced at Ford and they tell me it will last forever. If you want one buy one. Don’t let others tell you it’s no good. Be aware they need to be driven quite hard as they don’t like pottering about. If you need a short distance car don’t buy the diesel as it will clog up the particle filters. Low tax, good fuel consumption, low insurance. Love it.

Submitted: 2011-12-05 | ID: 46341

Dave, Kent

Renault Megane 2007

I have given it only 4 stars as I have a family to move about. A single guy or a couple just wanting a fun sports cars and it is 5+ stars. Goes like a bat out of hell and grips the road as if glued to it, even in the tightest corners it says "I can do the corner tighter". Puts a huge smile on your face to drive and is the best driving car I have driven. Great car for a petrol head, and I have been in a few. I loved the short time it has been my company car, but sadly it isn’t suitable for my cirscumstances and has to go back soon.

Submitted: 2011-11-30 | ID: 46322

Jack, Ireland

Renault Megane 2011

I bought the top of the range diesel GTline in February. What an unbelievable car for the money! Renault Sport suspension, 18 inch alloys, leather upholstery and sat nav are all great quality. It has great power for 110BHP and if you put it in 6th and drive it at 60mph a full tank will take you about 750-800 miles. I can’t say enough good things about this car. The only criticism I could have is that the Continental Contisport low profile tyres are a little short on rubber for some of Ireland’s roads! Get yourself one of these bad boys if you want the best of both worlds!

Submitted: 2011-10-24 | ID: 45994

Christine, Lancashire

Renault Megane 2006

I bought my Megane in 2009 for £6495 with 32000miles on the clock. Since then the clutch wire on the pedal has broken twice, it has also had problems with the windows only working when using the centre console button. As for leaks? Well I now carry with me a small towel as I am sick of being wet through; it leaks on both sides, but the drivers side seems worse. I am looking to replace it in 2012, but it will NOT be with another Renault!

I can concur with Christine’s comments. I too have a 2005 cabrio 1.9 Diesel. Buy them cheap (I drilled Solihull Renault down to just over £6,300 for mine three years ago; with less than 15,000 miles on the clock! They wanted £8,995 initially! Use them then scrap them after 3-4 years. You pay your money and you take your chance! - Mark Silva from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2011-10-24 | ID: 46115

Syd Houldsworth, England

Renault Megane 2007

Hi there, Just a quick word in defence of the car. I leased a Megane 2.0 Privilege brand new in 2007. The car has mint leather interior and the colour is Quartz Gold, An absolute stunner on a sunny day! After leasing the car for two years I was so impressed I bought it. The car is now four years old and has 46, 000 miles on the clock. We travel through France every year to see relatives and I have yet to have a fault with anything on the car. I have to admit renewing headlamp bulbs is a bit of a fiddly task, but take it to Halfords and it will be done in no time and it will be well worth the fiver. Hope this adds a bit of a balance.

Submitted: 2011-10-10 | ID: 46117

Raymond Hill, Kent

Renault Megane 2005

Mine is a six year old model recently purchased with 44k on the clock. I’m not the greatest Renault fan, but this car is an eye opener. This version has key less system, like Ford advertise on their Fiesta range, as long its on you you can open, lock the car and start without inserting the card. Truly a help when the bad weather arrives and my other half’s hand bag swallows the card. There is some neat under floor storage and on the parcel shelf, which is handy and it has sun blinds to keep the kids cool in the back and side windows. On the road the extra weight and length do help the handeling and ride; I had convertable prior and she was bit lively. If you find one of these and its around £3k grab one, or at least try her out as we are not disappointed.

Submitted: 2011-09-11 | ID: 46324

Debbie Tillman, Kent

Renault Megane 2008

Well what can I say? IT’S EXCELLENT! I Bought this car second-hand on the 18th of Aug 11 and I love it. There are only two things that I’m getting the garage to put right, under warranty: The back driver’s side window came down when I locked the car and I’m currently waiting for Renault to get the part in; also the clutch pedle keeps getting stuck at the bottom, but so far that’s it. My break pads squeal, but that’s because they’re hard pads so I can’t complain, at least you know when I’m around, lol! It’s really good on fuel around town and on the motorway. In my old petrol car I was putting in £10 every 2 days, but this diesel car has had £70 worth of fuel in the last 14 days there’s still 1/2 tank left. It cruises in 5th and has the pulling power if needed. It’s really comfy and quiet. There are 3 seatbelts in the back so there’s room for 3 adults, if you have a child seat then theres room for 2 thin passingers in the back (if your big then you get a bit squashed). I had a Renault Megane Coupe before and had to trade it in for this as there’s so much more room and I’m loving the 4 doors and big boot. There are two drinks holders and the cubby holes in the front under your feet brilliant for storing the kids stuff and there’s also storage in the doors. There’s no key, its a card system, you just put the card in press the start button and off you go. So far it’s a brilliant car, 5 stars. It’s even shut my too kids up!!

Just to say the car is a 2005 not 2008. Six months tax costs £52.25 of £90 for a full year. I still love driving it. I would totally recommend buying one, it will be the most economical car you will buy! Good luck, hope this helps! - Debbie Tillman from Kent

Submitted: 2011-09-07 | ID: 46339

M P, England

Renault Megane 2007

Bought as a second car in Nov 2010 almost on a whim, because I was taken with its appearance and popularity. The plus points are that it’s an enjoyable car to drive; it’s comfortable and quite spacious. It’s also very economical, easily returning 50+ mpg in the urban cycle. The bad points are its failure to prevent water ingress and, I’d guess, resultant electrical problems; the electric windows and the ECU being markedly vulnerable. I spent nearly £1,300 in repairs and maintenance on this car in ten months of ownership. I’ve traded it in and would counsel against anyone buying a Megane of this vintage. Pity, because it could have been a class leader, but for its failings. Hopefully, Renault have improved the reliability of subsequent models.

Submitted: 2011-09-01 | ID: 46302

Justin Stokes, England

Renault Megane 2003

It’s a pity you can’t put minus stars or link every google search to this to see reviews of Renault or Megane before people purchase one. I’ve had mine 5 years and I bet I’ve spent nearly £2500 on things I’ve never before spent on a car and most of these were electriclal faults. The latest issue has completely killed the car and I’ve just gone and purchased a Vauxhall. My UPC unit got fried after it rained one day 2 years ago. That fault plus the one that the frying caused to the engine management system cost me £1200 in one visit to Renault! They replaced the UPC unit but didn’t fix the cause of the leak I had told them about and 2 weeks later the new unit got fried! I made sure they paid for that replacement (very common fault). The unit has lasted just over 2 years and has gone again, though in stages; it wouldn’t start when you asked it to, I have had the RAC out about 6 times to get me to the garage, it actually started after pushing it to the tow bar on 2 occassions and cost me a fuel pump I didn’t need. After breaking down for the 10th time at home last week, I went to Vauxhall and purchased a new Corsa (which I had read umpteen reviews on as well as other cars. I also found Renault had the highest electrical fault rates of ALL manufacturers). All I will tell anyone is ALWAYS research any purchase. I do for everything these days. TVs, computers etc. Shame I didn’t do it for the Megane. It is now an obstacle on the side of the road about 10 minutes away from my house. I have used up all my allocated RAC callouts so I’ve got to get someone to tow me home, then call the local scrap dealer as I’m sick of the sight of it. So much so I thought I would do this review after googling breakers yards in Birmingham! Thanks Renault for a nice looking car with all the bits and extras I ever wanted on a car, except rubbish MPG and umpteen stupid faults that cost a fortune to fix!!

Submitted: 2011-08-30 | ID: 46301

Andrew Duthie, Norfolk

Renault Megane 2005

I think this is a lovely car. I’ve always bought Renaults since I was 18 and all have been very reliable. I’m now 43 by the way. My wife has always wanted one of these, so we saved £5000 and bought a 55 plate 1.9 dci 120 gold. It has good looks and is and comfortable well equipped. We took it back after one week as the air con wasn’t working and one window would’nt come down, but the garage repaired these faults. Then three weeks later we found there was diesel leaking into the alternator, which caused it to fail; lucky it didn’t catch fire? This was repaired under warranty. Today the turbo failed, what a nightmare, this may not be covered by the warranty because the garage didn’t tick the box to cover this part!?! Turbos are a common fault on dci engines. I change the oil every 5 to 6 k for fully synthetic not every 18000 as Renault recommends. I just hope the garage I bought this car from has a heart or I will ask for a complete refund. My wife is devastated; £848 for turbo plus £55 hr fitting it!

Submitted: 2011-08-30 | ID: 46118

Connor Furlong, England

Renault Megane 2005

I have a Renault Megane Cabrio 2005. It’s a 55 plate with 38000 miles on the clock and is the privilege model. I have only had it two weeks ago so I haven’t been to clean it yet but can’t wait two see if it has any leaks; I’m pretty postive it hasn’t as it’s immaculate. Love it to bits! I previously had a Renault Megane Convertible 2001 model so I’ve just moved up a model. Miss my old car but love my new baby. The boot has loads of room when the roof is up and it’s still ok with the roof down as I still managed to fit a quite big suitcase in, but I do miss the way the roof went into a diffrent bit on the old car and not into the boot. Thanks for looking at my car review.

Submitted: 2011-08-18 | ID: 46119

Tony Coleby, Yorkshire

Renault Megane 2003

I have the bright yellow banana mobile, 97,000 on the clock, still in good nick, reliable and nippy.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-08-10 | ID: 45992

Tony Coleby, Yorkshire

Renault Megane 2001

Mine is the banana coloured 1.6 Coupe. Nippy, looks good, very pleased even with 90,000 on the clock.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-07-25 | ID: 45993

Clive Cordina, Malta

Renault Megane 2008

I purchased mine new in March 2009. Mine is the latest facelifted model (just before the new model), which has some silver addition in the front part of the car. I don’t have roof leakage problems, performance is great and actually feels better then the BMW Series 5, but I regret to say that these are not long lasting cars. After nearly 3 yrs and 6000KM on the clock I have all sorts of problems: Wipers going on automatically without rain; cracked outdoor handles; trim colour faded; strange clicking sounds when operating steering and a strange sound off left wheel when driving less than 10KM. Well all I can say is that you’ll enjoy the car when it’s factory fresh, but I guess 3 yrs is the liftime expectancy of this model. I wouldn’t go for another Renault again the new CC is wore than the older one, doh! Renault wake up! Peugeot is ruling.

Submitted: 2011-07-18 | ID: 46081

John, Lancashire

Renault Megane 2002

The car has been fantastic apart from an annoying noise from the rear end, drivers side. I had everything checked over and had the shockers replaced. Now awaiting a new fuel tank as the garage say this is apparently where the problem lies. No problem with the fuel gauge though. The car has only done 33k from new.

Submitted: 2011-07-16 | ID: 45989

Pete Smith, Wiltshire

Renault Megane 2011

Two weeks old and it hasn’t fallen to bits yet! Great looking car with plenty of admirers. Quick and excellent levels of grip. Build quality is surprisingly good and general finish is better than expected. Fuel economy not great but the biggest downfall is the noise, or lack of it!, oh and the poor sound system. Not much else out there to compete on performance/price.

Submitted: 2011-05-29 | ID: 45987

Ian Downes, Banffshire

Renault Megane 2010

I’m happy to say that we own a Megane dci and since owning it we’ve saven loads on fuel. Just running around locally we get close to sixty to the gallon and on a run we get normally seventy point two, but this has been known to be seventy five to the gallon. For the price it’s a pretty good car all round and we intend to buy another one later this year. As for the person who’s been having problems with the gears, all I can say is that ours is fine and my local dealer has never heard of the gear problem either. Perhaps an auto would suit them better? We also own a new Insignia, which I consider to be far better than a Mondeo in every respect, and a Shogun, which takes me to places that other 4x4’s struggle getting to.

Of course all is well, the car is only two years old yet. Wait until the warranty is up and I bet you will be like the rest of us Megane owners - Claire D from Essex

I’m on my 4th Megane in the last 15 years. Done 300,000 miles. Not a single problem. Don’t know what you all moan about. My Megane’s always have had 20 percent better fuel economy, compared to my mates Ford equivalent, more gadgets and they look and drive better. My new 2013 one has 4yrs 100k mile warranty. 48k miles free servicing, and servicing only every 18k miles, £20 a year tax and 70mpg. What’s wrong with those bananas? Nothing! Great car! - Steve Smith from England

Submitted: 2011-05-17 | ID: 46291

John Holden, Dorset

Renault Megane 2005

A superb compromise car combining reasonable performance (among the best in its class), good economy (62mpg on long trips, 50mpg around town), very comfortable, very quiet, loads of carrying space, excellent access. Have now done over 80,000 miles and it has never let me down. So far, only items regarded as "consumables" have needed replacing. I would have given it 5 stars if it wasn’t for the following one irritating fault. It eats headlamp bulbs, and there is absolutely no point in carrying replacement bulbs because it has to go up on a ramp to have them replaced! It is a great pity that an almost perfect mid-range vehicle has been spoiled by this design fault.

Changing headlight bulbs is a ten minute job. OK, it’s not as straight forward as older cars, but what new car is? You don’t need the car up on ramps! All you need to do is have the steering on full lock, remove the access panel in the wheel arch and put your hand inside. Remove the bulb cover, remove plug, unclip and withdraw. Fit the new bulb in reverse. Yes, it’s a bit fiddly at first but it beats paying a minimum of half hour’s labour at a garage - from Lancashire

Submitted: 2011-05-03 | ID: 46335

Robert Malta, Malta

Renault Megane 2006

Bought this car last week, a second hand car, with 56k on the clock. Bought from Liverpool and drove all the way down to Malta with it. Heavy rain at Reggio Calabria, and very very bad roads down there. No leaks at all! So far so good! Had a problem with the service light, along with the airbag light, but found out problem was from under the drivers seat, just a loose connector. Very economic for a 16cc engine, even if it has 5 years!

Submitted: 2011-04-25 | ID: 46103

Maria Kiernan, Ireland

Renault Megane 2010

Bought from new last year, I am having problems with gears. They don’t seem to want to go into 1st, 2nd or reverse. You have to ram them in. I brought it to two Renault garages to check and their response was that all the Megane’s are the same and if I’m having problem getting into gear, take it out of gear let the car roll a bit and then try again. What a disgrace. I scrapped my 10 year old car for this and I’m sorry I did as my old car had less trouble.

I have a Megane 1.5dci 2010 and I wouldn’t swap it for the world. We get close to 60mpg driving localy and well over 70mpg on a run. We’ve had no problems with the gears or anything else and plan on buying a new one later this year. We also run a vauxhall Insignia, which in my opinion is far better than the Mondeo in every respect - Ian Downes from Banffshire

The Megane gear selector is known to migrate, set your gear in reverse on gearbox and selector (undo 10 mil bolt retaining gear linkage to gear selector on gearbox) and manually place gearbox into reverse then tighten bolt up if not replace linkage form gearstick to box - Andrew Heaps from England

Submitted: 2011-04-07 | ID: 46288

Tony Morris, Lancashire

Renault Megane 2007

Well, I’ve had my car four weeks now and the roof has failed four times. Been back twice, going back again on Monday so we will see, but does not look good for the long-term!

Hi, I have a Megane 2005, I may have the same problem with my roof, what button did you press to make your roof come down because I may be doing it wrong - Glen Duff from Devon

Hi, mine is a ’53 and has been in the garage four times for roof failure and they can’t fix it. Well they can if I pay £1,500+ on top of the £500 already spent. They now want to replace roof computer and the wiring room (this only comes from France cause it’s not a common part). Do they know what they’re doing? I don’t think so. Definitely wouldn’t buy another Renault or convertible. I only want to sell the damn thing, not rebuild it - Karen Willson from England

Submitted: 2011-03-13 | ID: 46104

Matty, England

Renault Megane 2007

Nothing but trouble with my battery for the last three months. I’ve put a new battery on twice, but still being drained by something. Checked all the usual things that can drain a battry but I’ve left nothing on.

Submitted: 2011-03-09 | ID: 46337

Martin Lewis, Hampshire

Renault Megane 2010

I can’t believe the amount of People complaining about a leaking roof. This is my second CC and both have leaked it is part and parcel of having a convertible roof. The Car is a joy own. So Its got it’s idiosyncrasy’s most cars have. However I must admit the roof imploding sounds worrying . Anyhoo! I love my CC and I’m looking forward to a long HOT summer so I can drive with my roof down and my music on. I may be 43 and I may be having a "Mid-Life Crisis" but it’s good fun and it makes me feel like a "Gangsta Rapper" cruising down Hollywood Boulevard... Hell yer!!! lol :)

Makes me laugh reading the forums on the cars I’ve been looking to buy since my insurance money came through - I had an Alfa Spider, no roof leaks there, plenty of maintenance but never a breakdown either while the performance, the very pretty bodywork and interior retained it’s charm to the end. And yet what do people who run around in sensible cars which give them so much trouble it seems say about Alfas! Buy one and ditch your Renault with the leaky roof and dodgy left wheel, the Volvo with the garage revisits, the Mondeo with the blown turbo (blocked oil feeds that Ford know about) etc, the Punto with the hit and miss mechanicals etc. Wonder if it’s too late to salvage my Alfa Spider - Romuald Hryniewicz from Monmouthshire

Submitted: 2011-03-02 | ID: 46113

Mike Bryan, Staffordshire

Renault Megane 2010

Thank goodness I read your reports I was considering trading down my adorable and totally watertight Mercedes SLK for a Megane CC. Strangely enough my dealer failed to mention anything about the common leak problem. You have saved me possible grief and for that I wish to thank you all.

So you haven’t actually driven the car, but have read other reviews and given it one star? That is really unhelpful - Matt Davidson from England

Had a Megane for nearly two years. Never leaked. Totally reliable. Although it seats four, it is a bit tight at the back. Folding boot worked fine. I had the 2ltr privilege. You need the 2ltr for performance because this is a heavy car. Would I get one again? YES - Tina Martin from Nottinghamshire

Mine is an 06, had it from new - totally trouble free motoring. No leaks, no imploding panoramic roofs (!!!!!!!!?????) , no electrical problems - just brilliant transport. My sister in law also has one, same year - and she has never had any problems either. They look fabulous, drive beautifully and in 2ltr form have plenty of grunt. Trouble with these sites is most people who bother to post have a gripe, those of us, the vast majority I add, do not think to take the time to post the positives. I will most definitely be getting another one, the new shape in a couple of years time - still enjoying this one - Bruce Penfold from Suffolk

Submitted: 2011-02-27 | ID: 46109

Bob Thomas, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Renault Megane 2011

<br />About to pick up this car, having had four Renaults including Megane 2 and 3 before. Car is so economical - road fund £30 after free 1st year. Done 16000 on last without a hitch (or service). Simply brilliant - and nicer inside than a golf!!!!

Submitted: 2011-02-12 | ID: 46286

Tony Madden, Yorkshire

Renault Megane 2010

Really good car, no probs so far, hope to keep it that way too.

Submitted: 2011-02-04 | ID: 46107

Paul Bate, Staffordshire

Renault Megane 2007

Bought this 2007 CC 1.6 beginning of Dec 10, not what I was after but at the price offered from a friend I couldn’t say no. I checked reviews first and was aware of the problems encountered due to leaky roofs but due to price (£5300 27k miles) I still went ahead. Anyway I’ve had no problems at all, with anything...so far. It’s just gone through one of the worst winters of my lifetime and not one problem with the roof. The boot is a fair size and the car is lovely to drive. The only downside would be the lack of leg room in the back for passengers, but it’s not too bad for our two little girls, more of an observation that than a problem, especially considering most cabs only have two seats. I would recommend this car.

Submitted: 2011-01-11 | ID: 46108

Jamie Wilson, Conwy

Renault Megane 2006

Hi! I bought my Renault Megane Sports Tourer 1.6 56 plate a year ago for around 7 grand. I was a bit sceptical of it with rumours with the accessability of the light bulbs; that’s one problem as the main head light bulbs keep blowing, but other than that a really reliable car. Even on motorways in 5th gear it still has more power, which you can feel when you put your foot down. I only drive 6 miles a day to work and back but very impressed with this machine, love it. It’s a great car, very roomy and an all round decent family car. I have done a lot of motorway driving to gigs and other things, nice smooth ride.

Submitted: 2011-01-09 | ID: 46338

Brett, Belgium

Renault Megane 2008

My Renault Megane is 2.5 years old, with 65,000 km. Before I bought it I had many people giving me the ’Never buy Renault, nothing but trouble’, but at that time I fell in love with the design of that Megane and it gave quite a lot of car for the money compared to other brands. After those 2.5 years, I am still satisfied, didn’t have any major problems. Some squeaking noises start to appear from time to time, and sometimes the car radio won’t switch channels, but overall I never had any problems or unexpected costs. I would recommend the car.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-01-03 | ID: 46287

Nigel Mallet, Dorset

Renault Megane 2009

Purchased the new Renault Megan Sports Tourer in October 2009. January 2010 started car up and and it was very juddery, took it to the Renault garage in Yeovil where car was purchased and was told the fly wheel and clutch needed replacing, unbeliveable for a car less then 3 months old. At the end of November 2010 started car up , juddery again, here we go!!!! same problem as before, couldnt believe it, phoned Renault customer services and was told the problem would be sorted, and maybe it was the way the car was being driven; I’m not a teenager!! This time they replaced the fly wheel again!! The good thing is it’s under warranty still, but what happens when warranty runs out? Not taking the chance, trading it in!!

Submitted: 2010-12-07 | ID: 46332

Gordon Hanna, England

Renault Megane 2005

Just new to this forum. Having worked for Merc and BMW and VW, then changed jobs and now had to find my OWN car for a change, wanted the boot of a Passat, the folding roof of an SLK and relaiblity of a BMW. Well the CC came up as near as the pocket could afford. Even if you have a prob parts are cheap ! I have had no probs, other than having to change my tyres AGAIN after another 1 year and 10,000 miles! What was going on? So this week I changed them again and found the garage could not do the tracking as the ball joints were shot and the bits that go with it. Now perfect! Having thought about it I go over 23 spead humps in total on way to work , I have been advised DO NOT STRADDLE them but go over on one tyre , as the unatural toeing in motion is not natural to a suspension system, sounds fair to me, so lets see what the next 10000 miles bring. Fancy a change, looked at all on the market, VWCC, Insignia, but we all know chaps when the sun shines you can’t beat it!!

Submitted: 2010-12-05 | ID: 46090

Harvey Mears, Berkshire

Renault Megane 2006

Excellent fun car that, with the additional wind break, is great with the roof down. Had some issues with water ingress but all was solved within the warranty period by the main agent. Sender on fuel pump was faulty (showed as tank never being full ... EVER!) and was replaced. Again solved in the warranty period. My only disappointment is the tyre wear rate. I put Michelin Primacy HP 205/50/17/93W on 13 months ago. Got about 17,000 miles out of them and now they need to be replaced .... all four! Michelen have always delivered me mileage in excess of 30,000 miles on Audis, and BMWs. What are the experiences of others on tyre wear?

Submitted: 2010-11-30 | ID: 46089

Gary Watson, Hertfordshire

Renault Megane 2006

Hi, To non owners these cars are constantly slated yet its funny how most of the owner reviews I have just read are very good! I purchased my 06 Sport Tourer 1.9 dci 130 2 years old with 14000 miles on the clock for £8000 (quite a saving on the 17K list price!). My Megane has now done 50K miles with only a few problems both covered under warranty. First problem was water ingress collecting in passenger foot well due to a blockage in the air conditioning drain which was down to a blocked scully drain originally. Second fault was with the handbrake lever which was tricky to disengage. I have had my megane remapped to 165bhp from 20k miles and still return 38mpg from spirited b road driving and up to 58mpg on a recent trip up north. I decided the soft ride was not suited to the additional power and upgraded the springs which have lowered the car approx 25mm and give a much more rewarding drive. I believe the following things have kept my car running like new; oil changes every 4500miles using correct grade ACEA C3 fully synthetic oil and always letting the engine warm up before I let my right foot become heavy. At this stage I would like to stress just because I have had my car lowered, tuned and make use of the available power I am not one of those idiots who will drive excessively fast in the wrong environment or be a target of those ’’look at that idiot’’ comments as I wheel spin out of petrol station forecourts. I do however like to show the boy racer next to me at the traffic lights that this diesel estate will catch you off guard as they try to cut you up. The only reason I have granted my car 4 stars is because I have had cars with much better interior build quality for a lot less money although I don’t think the firmer ride helps the rattles much. All in all I am still very pleased with my purchase and trust my car to get me where I want when I want hassle free. If anybody would like any further info on anything listed in this review feel free to let me know. Thanks.

You must have forgot to take the chip out of the old casing and place it into the new one, you just have to hope you haven’t binned the old casing. If you have then you will have to get a replacement chip and have it programmed into the car’s computer, but you can also because of the type of chip used in that model have the chip cloned from the spare key onto a standard t5 copy chip - Stuart McMillan from Ayrshire

Submitted: 2010-11-23 | ID: 46333

Steve Higgins, England

Renault Megane 2010

Only had this car for a week and still on cloud 9 after trading in a rather elderly Rover 25. Still getting used to things but a really nice car to drive. Nice side system. Noticed a number of reflections in the windscreen though, is this due to the glass roof? Recently noticed a very irritating noise from the rear drivers side like the wind is getting in somewhere. opened and closed the roof and did get rid of it but still there after another drive with the roof open. Also, noticed that the fuel filler cap is not locking when I lock the car. Told by the garage that I’m not locking it properly with the card (I am!) It’s all ok at work with a secure car park but very unhappy leaving it with the filler cap open in certain other places. Still under warranty so will be returning to Renault on my next day off work! My car has a spare tyre/jack dispite other comments on this page.

Hi Steve. Think the whistling sound may be due to door glass not fitting into rubber housing when door is closed. Have same problem myself. Easy to get rid of. Just lower window a few inches whilst driving then raise again. It’ll put glass snugly into rubber housing. No whistle! - Alex Macdonald from Scotland

Submitted: 2010-11-23 | ID: 46087

Paul Dudman, Cornwall

Renault Megane 2008

Just bought this lovely car, had a problem with CV joint had to have a complete new drive shaft but under warranty so not a problem. Very pleased can’t wait for some good weather!!!

Submitted: 2010-11-06 | ID: 46086

Fred Penson, Essex

Renault Megane 2000

I purchased my Renault Megane 1.6 RT, in September 2006, and the car had 37,000 miles on the clock. It’s an automatic and has never let us down. It now has 58,000 on the clock and gives a return on a long run between 25-40 miles to the gallon which on a car of this age is quite good. Wouldn’t hesitate to get another one.

Submitted: 2010-10-22 | ID: 46294

Andrew Emberto, Lincolnshire

Renault Megane 2005

Well, in contrast to most people here I have a good story! I hesitated in buying mine after reading the scarey stories from upset owners, but I am delighted with mine! I bought in second hand, it’s a 1.9 DCi with 72,000 miles and after 6 months, it’s fabulous. There is the tiniest drip comes in during a heavy downpour, but a convertable with 4 seats giving 50MPG average and more if I drive like an old man, it’s superb! It’s not fast or sporty but it cruises well and I’m a very happy owner.

Submitted: 2010-10-12 | ID: 46085

Suzanne Sloan, County Armagh

Renault Megane 2004

I bought the car in 2004 brand new off my local Renault dealership. Ever since the car has given me nothing but trouble, you name it and it has broke! With just under 80k on the clock it drives like a car with 180k! I used to own a 1994 Peugeot 306 1.9 XRdt and there was over 220k on the clock before i got my Megane and it was the better car between the 2. The Megane’s engine is dead and the gears dont seem to do it any justice. Electrical problems seem to be the biggest problem with the car, though Mechanical reliabilty aint much better! Overall not 1 bit impressed, NEVER BUY A RENAULT!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-10-09 | ID: 46295

Brent Westbrook, Devon

Renault Megane 2003

Got made redundant in May 2010. Had to let my 55 plate Focus ST go for something more economical. True, tax cheaper, insurance cheaper, 20,000 miles between services. But . . . . . my ST did 20 to the gallon at 280bhp (yep - chipped and tuned) but the average mpg on the Megane shows 34 with just one third the power (1.6 petrol). Can’t be right surely? The clutch judders when cold but improves when hot. Only 35,000 on the clock. 6 owners though (what does that say??). The plastic bumpers front and rear are different colours from the metal body work and also don’t line up. The doors and tailgate "wobble" when opened. They most certainly don’t have the solid, satisfying "clunk" when closed compared to the Ford. The whole plot is a "flexible flyer" compared to the Ford. Can’t see a reason for 205 tyres when the chassis is so bouncy and twisty. The exhaust judders too. All straps and mountings are in place but it can be heard on up/down changes, accelerating and braking and cornering. The new wipers squeak. I shouldn’t compare a basic Megane to a focus ST. But, even the basic focus is so much more solid and feels far better engineered. I bought the Megane because it was cheap and low mileage. I had a Renault Fuego many years ago but it didn’t have any build faults as such. It simply rusted into oblivion way before they had a chance to surface. Compared to the Ford the Megane has a lot of endearing features but the niggles FAR outway the benefits.

Submitted: 2010-10-03 | ID: 46296

Big Rich, Cumberland

Renault Megane 2010

If your reading this review first then its at the top of the list. So before you go any further, if the car your looking at buying is before 2008, the reviews aren’t good. Else its fantastic. But then they haven’t been out that long! The New Megane’s are a joint venture between Nissan and Renault. I’m not 100% sure now which one has bought major shares in the other, but that’s why. Apparently there are a lot of similarities between this car and the Nissan Qashqai. I’ve only done 4000 miles in mine in 5 months, but I can’t fault it. Moves like sh*t off a hot shovel, averaging 55 mpg (get nearer 60 if I’m not on the motorway), lots of toys. If I had one criticism, it would be the way the car is geared. It has only a max 5,000 rev counter, so sometimes when you put your foot down, and the turbo kicks in, your at 4,000 revs before you know it. But the 6 speed gear box means you can sit at 80mph at 2,800 revs (approx) and still manage 50 - 55 mpg.

Submitted: 2010-09-28 | ID: 45988

Ady Wilkins, Surrey

Renault Megane 2005

There is a lot of talk about the roof leaking, no-one seems to have experienced rain leaking into the footwells. An intermittent ’Roof Mechanism Fault’ and random bleeping was the first sign, however we didn’t know at the time the extent of the problem. The roof would sometimes operate, stop halfway through the cycle, fail to initiate and so on. Then the electric windows failed, well some of them, again intermittent. I thought it would be a simple fuse issue or something like that. We took the car to Renault two weeks ago, for a diagnostic check to locate the problem. The report returned a shocking verdict. Leaves and dirt had blocked the drainage channels at the front in the area underneath where the wipers are attached. The water had somehow overflowed into the the passenger cabin, into the front and rear footwells. Apparently the wiring looms have been affected by the water hence the electrical problems. The car was bought in January 2010 for £7,000 and is a 55 plate. It had 43,000 miles. The verdict from Renault is that the cost to repair may exceed the current value of the car. How can a simple problem be so devastating!? I cannot express how disappointed we are to have bought a seemingly good car for the summer, to now be faced with a nightmare repair bill, or indeed nothing at all. My girlfriend and I will never buy Renault again! I will urge people to buy Vauxhall, Ford or Peugeot as an affordable alternative.

UPDATE: We took the car to a local garage this morning (13/10/10). A professional car electrician has fixed the problem for £100.00! What is Renault playing at!? - Ady Wilkins from Surrey

Hi, would you mind letting me know what your local mechanic did to correct the problem? I now have the same difficulty with my car which I bought only one week ago - Lisa Boyle from Ireland

Submitted: 2010-09-25 | ID: 46082

Cheron Beard, Cambridgeshire

Renault Megane 2007

I can honestly say that I have not had a days problem with my Megane. Only have 25,000 on the clock, and now thinking about getting a coupe. I would highly recommend. I have had not problems with the servicing either. Wests in Cambridge have been great when I needed to use them.

Submitted: 2010-09-24 | ID: 46297

Peter Smith, Suffolk

Renault Megane 2007

I bought my Megane CC new September 2007. It has now done 17000 miles. The only tiny leak I have had from the roof is in exceptionally cold weather when the glass in the passenger window, when the door is closed, fails to tuck under the roof seal. If the window is lowered and raised it tucks in nicely as it should. I think the seal is not as flexible as it might be when below 3 degrees so the glass stays outside rather than inside the seal. In muggy weather the fog lamps have condensation on the inside but the handbook does mention this and they have always dried out when the air has become fresher. I am sorry others have problems, I would recommend Renault after my experiences over 3 years.

Submitted: 2010-08-05 | ID: 46102

Edward Michalicek, Czech Republic

Renault Megane 2006

Hi! I’ve had the car 28 months and never had any problem with the car whatsoever. Really impressed with the acceleration and handling. Fun car to drive, looks very good with the roof up or down, comfortable. Earlier I owned Ford Escort, Opel Vectra, Megane I classic, Skoda - Octavia, Megane II hatch - good cars, but all of them were (excuse me please) a little soulless. Presently Megane CC: the car is 4 years old – but still a head turner! I think the only downside is that you can’t get a spare wheel. So : Good luck & a lot of safe miles & safe returns every day for everybody with CC (= "Cri du Coeur!")

Submitted: 2010-07-24 | ID: 46101

Mary Adams, Lanarkshire

Renault Megane 2008

So I am not alone then with a leaky roof! Torrential rain yesterday leaked through and soaked a large portion of the passengers seat. For info, the car was parked on a flat even surface, so for those being told it is because the car is at an angle, is rubbish! Main issue is the leaking when driving - exhilarating, going round corners etc - personally I find this a dangerous distraction, as you sometimes (even though I am a good driver) I cant help but try to see where it really is leaking from. Not to mention rather embarrassing if your passenger is being soaked too! Even though the leak is extremely annoying (hence googling to find out if it is common!), I do love this car. This is my 4th Megane, the last two were soft tops (and not one leak from them I may add!!!). However, this car is an absolute dream to drive. 1.6, 2006 model, bought it 3 months ago with 9,500 miles on the clock, immaculate condition. I hardly find an urge to go above 60mph, as it makes you not want to be in a rush to go anywhere. It is smooth, spacious, airy and elegant. Would I recommend this car? Definitely! Even the top-of-the-range cars have their problems, so please don’t dismiss this car too easily. Note: I think Renault should give us a % of their sales, if any of our positive reviews help sell some of their cars!! :-) Happy driving, if its not raining that is.....

Hi, I’ve been looking throught the internet about Megane convertibles and the roofs leaking as one morning after a heavy night of rain I got in my car to find the seats soaked, when I took it to the garage I bought it from they agreed to replace the seals on the roof. They then said it was something to do with the windows as they are supposed to come down a little bit when you open the door then go back up when you close it, they then said that apparently all models 2007 and above have some new seals on the roof which don’t leak at all. Its getting fitted on my car at the minute, will let you know how it goes - from England

Love my Megane Coupe Cabriolet 2008 model BUT NOT THE LEAK, been leaking since new, going in for 4th attempt to resolve the problem! Still under warranty until June ’11. Hope it gets resolved this time but lost all faith! - AnneMarie McLaney from Lanarkshire

Submitted: 2010-07-23 | ID: 46091

Kate Lawrence, Dorset

Renault Megane 2008

I have just traded mine in for a hatchback Megane after having her for 2 years, as I have a small baby and found it a bit of a struggle. I absolutely adored my Coupe Cab, although it never passed an MOT without niggly bits needing doing, and not very cheaply either. Passenger window regulator also went, and Renault advised it is a common occurence in these models, so they paid 75% of the bill - so I urge you to go to Renault dealer if you have any window problems! I highly recommend, but doors are too wide!

Submitted: 2010-07-19 | ID: 46094

Dave, Shropshire

Renault Megane 2007

I bought my 1.66 Dynamique new in Jan 07 from Motorhouse at Cannock (Import) Very good deal and UK spec car. Did 21k in 3 years, only problem we had was a sticking rear brake(fixed under warranty). Excellent dealer service from W .Lewis in Telford. My wife and I loved the car and found it very comfortable and practical, not too bad on fuel either. Had to work the engine on acceleration-but it is a hefty car for a 1.6! Sold it in March and have bought a Saab 93 Cabriolet as we wanted to be able have 4 seats that can be used. Like the 2010 model though!

Submitted: 2010-07-14 | ID: 46100

Brenda Spice, Kent

Renault Megane 2007

Hi, I purchased the above vehicle 3 months ago and love the car, (haven’t gone through winter yet so don’t know if it will leak). My car is fitted with an ESP braking system but when turning the ignition on and pulling away at slow speed I hear a knocking noise which stops when you have accelarated more. I have taken it back to Renault after many excuses they could not find the fault, they inturn brought a Renault Technician down from London who told us it was something that this particular model does, it is the computer testing the system. Is there anybody out there who has encountered this problem? I cannot believe this is a standard thing.

Yes this is a completely normal operation. It is actually the ABS pump testing. Nothing to worry about at all - the hatch versions do it as well. Happens at about 6mph - M W from New Zealand

Hola, I too notice this on my Feb 07 cc. Car has 45,000 kms and is going perfectly, recently serviced and everyting is fine... But I notice when moving after ignition a knocking noise. I haven’t reported it as it hasn’t caused any problems and stops after a couple of seconds. This did not happen on my previous 05 cc - Al Ocos from Spain

Hi there, I have a 2005 model and I hear the exact same noise, when pulling off slowly, taking off from traffic lights, turning corners etc. It sounds like there is a big metal box bashing against something, it can be quite loud and embarrassing. I can’t belive that this is normal. I am devastated! - Kerry O Connor from Cheshire

Mine does the same. They told me it was anti-hijack, it’s goin back next week cause it still does it - Natalie Cole from England

Submitted: 2010-07-08 | ID: 46095

Malek Heshmeh, Syria

Renault Megane 2009

I had the leaking problem but then I realised that I’m not closing the roof properly, I should never stop before I hear the peep and now, no leaking at all.

Submitted: 2010-07-06 | ID: 46067

Honoria, Ireland

Renault Megane 2007

Same here as a lot of you, love the car, bought it from new, nothing but problems with leaks. Now the roof mechanism has some fault, which we don’t know what it is yet. More money, I’ll never buy a Renault again.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-07-03 | ID: 46066

Peter Maxwell, Cambridgeshire

Renault Megane 2006

Bought from Motorpoint in Peterborough for 13k new. Had a good time whilst I owned it and yes, I had leaks but not too bad. I agree not really good enough from a major manufacturer! My main gripe was how easy the doors and bodywork dented in the car park - really irritating and looked so bad. Traded it in for a 318i M-Sport convertible in Dec 09 got hit hard in depreciation. BMW wonderful build quality but I like the look of the new CC.

Submitted: 2010-06-29 | ID: 46065

Diane Montgomery, Lanarkshire

Renault Megane 2010

I just bought this car 2.5 months ago. I loved the look of the car and immediately took my Suzuki Swift to trade for this car of my dreams. The car has been going great, bought from Arnold Clark Renault Dealer in Bishopbriggs scotland. As usual all good at time of sale but at the weekend I had to call the AA twice for a faulty alternator in the car. The first to be followed home from work and then have the car battery recharged using the AA van, and secondly on my way to the dealer to book my car in when smoke started belching from the engine. On further inspection it turns out that it’s the belt on the alternator that is wrecked and I will have to wait until tomorrow to get my car back, which is now not brand new according to me. The aftersales care was terrible and I had to call 4 times in order to find out what was actually wrong with the car. 4 days no car, no courtesy car and not even offered any compensation. Was offered a 24 hire car which is the standard from Renault but you do not get an extension on this. Currently paying for taxis to and from work and waiting time calling them. This is a real shame as I love the car. Has anyone else had a similar problem with their coupe or even a similar problem with the dealer??? I feel like they are not interested now that the car is sold :-(

Submitted: 2010-06-28 | ID: 45983

Peter Elder, Devon

Renault Megane 2004

When my twins were due I had a good look at what car to purchase and always having had Renault cars I decided to purchase the New Megan Sport Tourer and decided to go for the privilege and add leather and sunroof. Following issues with the launch Renault could not go ahead with the sun roof; well that should have been the sign!!. I have now had 6 years of hell with the car following major electric problems (door locks not working, windows working on their own, back window washer not working.) I then had a water punp blow up!! Two weeks later I got the car back (still with major electrical problems) Last year the gear box went!! Another £2K later and I think I have rebuilt the car. I can not lock the car most days and if I do I cannot get the thing open again and to top it all Renault have not been interested in my comments from day 1. I will never look at purchasing a Renault again.

Submitted: 2010-06-21 | ID: 46330

Nicky, Dumbartonshire

Renault Megane 2004

1 star is 1 too many. Had every ’typical Megane’ fault there is. ECU was fried as rain water runs straight over the top of it. (apparently it doesn’t rain in France!) Amazingly, Renault’s solution to this is to put the plastic bag that the new ECU comes in, over the top of it to keep it dry!! Thermostat leaked, therefore engine severely overheated. I should mention, not a single warning light came on! Timing belt is fantastically difficult to change. Drive belt tensioner does not tension, leading to a very very annoying screaching noise when driving at times. Nuts and bolts crumble easily when carrying out work (including the wheel nuts!!) Drivers window does not work (again, doesn’t seem to rain in France!). Endless faults with the injection system which even renault cannot identify! All and all a terribly manufactured car. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!!

Submitted: 2010-06-08 | ID: 46259

John Winder, Derbyshire

Renault Megane 2009

Brill car, I have had many Renaults over the years (16) and this is the best. I agree with all that has been said above.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-06-07 | ID: 46260

Linda Strand, Durham

Renault Megane 2005

Bought the car four and a half years ago and have been genarally happy with it, though I do seem to have to replace the tyres often. It’s been all round the UK, through France a couple of times and it has served us well; so much so that we were considering buying the new one this year. We also had a small leak in the roof which we’ve learned to live with, thankfully it’s not a major problem. Sadly the roof stopped working last week and it’s going to cost over £1100 to put right (the part of the engine seized that controls this?). As this seems such an integral part of the car I wouldn’t have expected this to go so soon and am really annoyed. Has anyone else had this problem?

Mine is 2004, also stopped working when halfway. Took to Renault who confirmed it is sensor and roof latch. Purchased parts from Renault £132.00 and independant garage are repairing for less than £50.00. The sensor is just behind the roof latch. The dealer always charges a lot more for repairs. Hope this helps - from England

The roof on my Megane Hardtop stopped working as well, but on checking I noticed that the boot seemed to be lifting at one side, which meant that the lock was not operational on the near side. Local garage fixed it for £120, so double check that you are being quoted the right price. As for the top leaking, this seems to be standard on all hardtops. If you park the car "Nose up" the weight of the hardtop pulls it away from the windscreen. If you park it "Tail up" or on the level there shouldn’t be any problems - Ian Macpherson from Scotland

I have an 05 version and it has leaked from all windows/roof from day 1. It has been in and out of the garage where it came from and each time I collected it I was told the leaks were fixed. On the last occasion we were told the seals need changing and after many calls to Renault and Which, Renault agreed to pay half the cost, the garage a quarter and we picked up the last quarter. The seals have beens changed and (touch wood) it seems OK! I have been really happy with the car drive wise and reluctantly I am having to trade it in as I have had back surgery and I can’t get easily in and out of it anymore, or reach back for the seatbelt. I wish I had known that there were water ingresse problems with other cars rather than just mine 3 years ago, as it would have gone back straight away and I would have demanded my money back as the car was ’not fit for purpose’ - from Surrey

Submitted: 2010-06-04 | ID: 46072

Leeron Gordon, South Africa

Renault Megane 2005

I own 2X 2005 Megane CC’s and I think that the Megane CC is a great car. The only problem I have had with mine, after doing 80000 KM, is the altenator. I service the car at Renault every 15000 KM and do an oil change myself every 7500 KM. The only problem mine has is a an occasional ’judder’ when pulling away (obviously pressure plate is a bit worn). I really enjoy my Megane and both of them have absolutely no roof leaks.

Submitted: 2010-06-04 | ID: 46071

Paul Jones, Gloucestershire

Renault Megane 2009

After a series of French cars, most lately a Citroen C5 hatch, we’ve returned to Renault and an estate. To be honest, I might have bought another C5 if it still existed as a hatch but I needed room to store my bike internally and the C5 has become a much bigger car overall. The Megane gives me the storage versatility I need but with excellent economy and tax figures. The ride is clearly firmer than the old car but comfortably so and it hugs the road well with virtually no body sway. I would describe the engine as ’free running’; lively and responsive without any need to force the pace (I drive conservatively). I thought the 6 gears would take some getting used to but that hasn’t been any problem; 5th will pull sensibly at 35mph and above in normal traffic flows. Having the extra gear helps in the efficiency stakes too. Storage is good and I don’t have any real problem with a partly non-horizontal floor. The one thing I dislike, and the reason for only 4 stars, is that the rear windows, back and side, give a quite restricted view particularly when reversing - I think the previous model had a more sensible rear design, albeit without the sexy light cluster. But all in all an excellent manoeuvrable vehicle which is returning 54mpg.

Submitted: 2010-06-01 | ID: 46331

Emma Alben, England

Renault Megane 2007

I bought this car second hand in March 2009, with a low mileage for a 3yr old car (just 9,000). However, I soon noticed the leaky roof as soon as winter came round. To be honest, it doesn’t bother me too much at the moment as its only a small amount of water getting in on the passenger side and since I thoroughly enjoy driving the car, I’m putting up with it, for now anyway. The main concern I have is yesterday whilst braking (fairly gently) I heard a scraping/grinding noise and saw that on the display panel ’Braking Fault’ appeared. I’ve never seen this before and panicked. I was quite close to home so continued driving but it didn’t happen again. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what I can do, other than spending a fortune taking it into a Renault Dealer only to be told that "its just something the Renault Megane does every once in a while and we can’t repair it"?

Sounds like brake pads may be wearing out. go to a small garage get it checked should be a cheap job - Paul Whibley from England

Had same problem took car to garage comp picked up no problems, turned out to be faulty wire, £20 to sort - from Durham

Submitted: 2010-05-30 | ID: 46068

Stephen Cohen, London

Renault Megane 2009

Just recently purchased my vehicle so my first impressions so far are that it is very comfortable to drive all controls light and easy to use feeling of quality. Very stylish and good boot space for a coupe, good in car acceleration through all gears except 1st gear which is slow. I bought the car from Renault, Orpinton who I found very helpful and knowledgable.

Submitted: 2010-05-30 | ID: 45982

Lydia Brindley, Lancashire

Renault Megane 2010

Been to see the car, fell in love with the car, 6th gear a little nerve racking ’til you get use to it. Stylish, handles well at speed, which is quickly arrived at with the turbo :) Ordered the car back in April, dealership told me 8 weeks now it’s going to be July, not very happy. Why the delay? He told me they had to be built! Didn’t know Renault were hand crafted for each and every owner. Getting really fed up now of waiting, only seen a couple so far about, WANT MINE !!!!!!

Hi Lydia Ordered mine on the 03/03/2010 was told it would be about 17 days before it arrived at the dealer ship wasnt able to pick it up until the 04/05/2010 but well worth the wait. What a superb car done nearly 7000 miles and it has to be the best car I have ever owned. Averages over well over 50 mpg and effortless to drive. I would recommend the 1.5 Dynamique Tom Tom as a first class car - Rob Smith from Derbyshire

Submitted: 2010-05-26 | ID: 45980

Pierre Courtney, Cheshire

Renault Megane 2007

I leased mine for two years and it was perfect. No leaks, no problems. As soon as it got to 15 degrees the roof came down. I am about to get a new lease car and it will be a Megane CC.

Submitted: 2010-05-21 | ID: 46076

Urszula Richards, Buckinghamshire

Renault Megane 2009

I purchased this car from new ordering an automatic gearbox due to back operations. It died on me going up a hill in the middle of nowhere after just two weeks. RAC told me to go back to Renault dealer as I needed a complete new coil pack, since then this has happened again and again. Waited three months for a windscreen motor part, from December until March. Apparently the original motor wasn’t up to the job in the first place so all spares were re-called and Renault had to go back to the drawing board. And yes my roof leaks rear left side, massive gap – can’t be bothered any longer :(

Thanks for the tip, I really liked the look of this but thankfully your comments made me choose a Fiesta - can’t go wrong with one of them, not very flash but serviceable. I have had a knee replacement and also needed an automatic, my future son in law loves his Megane but then it’s company car so doesn’t matter if it breaks down - Barbara Davies from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 2010-05-04 | ID: 46079

Rachel Lee, Hampshire

Renault Megane 2004

I love my car, only had it 2 weeks. At first a slight judder now it’s getting worse, only happens in first gear, gonna take it back again to dealer. Does anyone no why this car is juddering?

Hi, the juddering is the pressure plate, depending on your mileage maybe you should consider changing the clutch kit. Mo harm can come from the juddering, I own a 2005 Megane CC 1.6 had it for about 2 and a half years now. It does the same thing sometimes but I still think it is a great car! - Leeron Gordon from South Africa

Submitted: 2010-04-27 | ID: 46077

Paul Coppell, England

Renault Megane 2006

I recently purchased a 2006 Renault Megane CC (3 months ago), Two days after purchase the roof stopped working (2nd retraction) the garage has refused to cover the costs as they have said the roof is not under warranty. Anyway I have now purchased two wires that were thought to be the problem £50 each excluding fitting...but they both snapped due to pressure when opening the roof. Now they think its a little black latch that is not retracting correctly costing another £80. This also may not be the problem and if it doesn’t work renault have said it could cost in excess of £1000. Does anyone have any idea of the problem or encountered it themselves? Also, Alpino Cars Ltd of Manchester have been no help at all I am ringing citizens advice tomorrow as I only had it two days, surely they must be accountable for some costs incurred?

Paul, hope you read this. Did you buy a 2.0 megane convertible from Alpino in manchester? Ive just bought the same model, may even be the same car from them. I’ve not experienced any problems with the roof but there is a grinding sort of noise when moving off in 1st and 2nd gear - Neil Chapman from England

Hi Paul, I just saw your post about having problems with H Alpino cars in Manchester and I also have problems with them. Please contact me at jason_a_kaye[at]hotmail[dot]com if you see this post. Cheers, Jason. - from

Submitted: 2010-04-12 | ID: 46052

Paul Glavin, England

Renault Megane 2007

I have been in the motor trade for 40 odd years . It was only when Mazda brought out the MX 5 that soft tops that were affordable stopped leaking. Rolls Royce made a soft top that was dry but the top hung over so far it looked like the car had gutters. If you were to attach wires from the foot wells to the back seat tops and tighten them then drive they would snap. Thats how much the shell moves. ONE ANSWER is to get the silicone grease used on plastic central heating pipe push fits from plum center etc Wipe this onto the seals from time to time and it makes a water tight seal. I use this on ocean going yacht windows to seal them and old classic soft tops. The problem will only be fixed when the Europeans have to compete with the Japanese. Clutch ’judder’ is just that. Since the asbestos and potash compound was removed from friction materials brakes have squeaked and clutches juddered. Have it changed and clean up the fly wheel face.

Submitted: 2010-04-11 | ID: 46055

Maria Smith, Ayrshire

Renault Megane 2007

Bought this car 2 weeks ago, so far it’s been in the garage more times than I’ve driven it. The usual problems; roof seal leaking, garage fitted new door hinges and replaced the door seal. So far it hasn’t cured the problem but they have it back to try again, it might be something I have to live with. I love everything else about the car, I might have to invest in a car cover. Roll on the summer.<br /><br />

I have tried three times before to responed to this website but my comments about my leaking car (a 56 plate Megane CC purchased in Feb. 09) have yet to be included on this website. The car has spent most of the winter "being repaired" at Motorline in Ashford. After spending over £800 it still leaks even when washed, so now I have contacted the BBC Watchdog programme as Renault UK customer services say I have to accept these leaks, sorry "water ingress",however I believe that the car is "not fit for purpose"!!! - Annemarie bolt from Kent<br />Note: Annemarie’s previous com from Kent’s review below.

I have the same problem with water leaks, Renaults are not admitting that they have a fault - Kim Watts from England

Submitted: 2010-04-10 | ID: 46056

Mike Burke, Essex

Renault Megane 2009

Great car I just love it. Had trouble with air cond, which had a leak, now fixed, top of range auto plus all leather; I hate manuals all that clutch work. I would recommend this car to anyone.<br /><br />

Hi, I have the same car. This is a factory special, I was told this car is not for me as I only do seven miles a day and this car was meant for hard motorway driving. I have to blast it down the motorway every month to get the soot out of the exhaust. No bother with roof leaking, don’t no how though as I brought the electric garage door down on it while my husband was putting it into garage. The back window won’t come up so  hit it with a hammer, which worked for a short while but now it won’t go down; this a common fault in all Meganes. But I love the car this is my second one. The 05 I had was never out of the garage for roof leaks but this one is great. I will definitely buy another one in the future - Jan Shanks from Lanarkshire

Submitted: 2010-03-31 | ID: 46063

Paul Mellor, England

Renault Megane 2006

Badly built, too much plastic inside, the air con is feeble, puny power to revs, engine brakes wear too quick, service too expensive, wipers c**p and hard to change a bulb on lights. Compared to a Focus the Megane is poor for a dynamic model and lacks road poise. Feels like a Fiesta engine in an estate body. The engine is so weak, I expected at least 13O bhp in a tourer with duel air con. I will be parting with my estate as soon as I can. I’m going back to Land Rovers, at least they’ve got proper power plants that are easy to tune and manage.

I could not agree more. Do not buy!!! - Lyn Arthur from England

Submitted: 2010-03-20 | ID: 46261

David Clay, Yorkshire

Renault Megane 2009

I certainly wish I had known this excellent site existed before buying my Megane 1.6 CC in February 2009. Like the majority, it leaks like a sieve passenger and drivers door, and has had several trips back to the dealer for attention. After the last visit, the door windows now stand proud of the roof seals in the up position and it’s worse than ever. What is worrying me more is the hideous judder when accelerating away in first gear. I am quite an experience driver of over 25 years on the road and have never come across anything like this before. It appears to be intermittent and once the car is warm the problem occurs. I have had the car back to the dealer with this problem and, but it never does it with a mechanic at the wheel, it was plugged into the diagnostic machine and showed nothing. Dealer blamed driver. The strange thing is that whenever my partner drives it, there is no judder, so is it me? Any help would be appreciated as this car is getting me down.

My 58 Megane CC is currently having a new clutch fitted because of the "judder".  Sometimes it’s a little one only I notice, other times it shakes the car like mad! - from Yorkshire

It’s 100% the clutch going mate. I guarantee it will be broken completely soon, change the clutch and you will be OK - Dave Fredericks from England

Hi my 2008 Megane Coupe Convertable had the same problem with judder and needed a new clutch to be replaced. I contacted Renault services and they paid for this for me after some time on the phone. It was because of an oil seal that had gone which caused the oil to enter onto the clutch which caused the judder. The only way to stop it is a new clutch. It stops when it gets warm because the oil on the clutch is heated up so you notice the judder more in cold weather or when just starting to drive the car. Hope this helps - from England

Submitted: 2010-03-10 | ID: 46059

Sue, Staffordshire

Renault Megane 2004

Roof broke after 9 days, many other faults such as leaking windows. Final straw charged £52.75 to change a headlight bulb. l Will never buy Renault again!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-03-04 | ID: 46041

Fraser Robertson, Clackmannanshire

Renault Megane 2009

I’ve just bought this car and I love it. It has enough power to suit me, although the 130 would have been more exhilirating but at 60 y/o I am delighted with this model. It offers economy, £35 road tax, loads of gizmos, confortable and it looks great. We have dogs and there is loads of space for the four of them in the boot. It would be great if all manufacturers were to offer moulded boot liners for us dog lovers to keep uphostery clean.

Submitted: 2010-03-03 | ID: 46329

John Kinsella, Ireland

Renault Megane 2009

This is our third Megane diesel and we heve only had one minor problem with a 2004 model which was rectified without any fuss, even though warranty had expired. These cars are very comfortable, extremely economical and have a diesel engine that is second to none, it is a superb performer. Our last Megane was a 2006 model and a great car and the previous to that a 2004 model and superb also and both cars were sold locally and neither of the buyers has had any problem. Some respondents refer to reviews of the car and in many cases reviews count for nothing as Toyota buyers are now finding out. We have a B&B and a few years ago a gent stayed who writes reviews and I asked what are these reviews based on and he responded " in most cases what’s left in the front pocket". Our main dealer is James Sidney and its a pleasure to deal with him.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-02-25 | ID: 46263

Susannah Leggatt, England

Renault Megane 1998

Great car, lots of Grunt. Still looks good and up to date.

Submitted: 2010-02-22 | ID: 45985

Kayleigh Copeland, England

Renault Megane 2002

Although the Renault Megane Coupe is not everyone’s favourite car, it is my dream car as it has style and character. From the front it looks ready to pounce at any second and from the back it has an instantly recognisable style. In my opinion deep blue is the best colour as it is more classy than the brighter colours. The interior is stylish and comfortable with 4 partially leather bucket seats and dark blue fabric. A six stack CD player and speakers in the back and front enable everyone to hear the music you want to hear clearly. The 1.6 16 valve engine ensures a speedy smooth ride, perfect for long journeys but also handy for shorter journeys around town. At 45 the MPG is not too bad either. The only problem is that there is very little room in the back for passengers legs. Over all it is a good little car!

Submitted: 2010-02-20 | ID: 45984

Lisa Bamford, Kent

Renault Megane 2009

As with many of you on this site, we too experienced quite a bad leak in our roof of our Megane convertible, we bought this in march 09 from the Renalut Driveline, Ashford, Kent, but I am hoping that my story turns out to have a happy ending. Our car is just under the standard warranty when we brought it in to have the leaks looked at. We were told the the standard warranty did not cover the roof and seals etc, but they did not brush us aside like many of you unfortunate people ,they agreed to go halfs in the cost of replacing the front seal and re-sealing the panoramic roof, taking out the seats and draining any excess water & carpets etc., until dry. We are really hoping that this will resolve the matter, and that we do not have to part with any more money. The manager seems confident that his service engineers will replace the seals that need doing and there will be no more leaks. I really hope so, as I love my car and it would make all the difference in buying from them again and again. I will return to this site after the car is done and inform you of how it all went.....hopefully it will restore some of your faith in the Renault dealer ships. Watch this space..<br /><br />

Lisa, I am pleased to hear that you have had such good service from Driveline Ashford. I wish I could say the same. My car is a 56 plate and was bought from Driveline in Feb. 09. It was great in the summer but has been in and out of the garage since October with "water ingress". It has cost a fortune and the garage’s attitude is, well what do you expect if you by a cabriolet!! I hope this makes the website because my last comments have never been included and they were honest and polite - Annemarie Bolt from Kent

Our car has leaked from day one 04 model - from Bedfordshire

My wife has a 07 plate 1.6 cabriolet that we purchased privately in Jan-09. Within a month the roof was leaking. Although we had a warranty from the private garage it was still covered by Renault so booked into Driveline Ashford. They had it in about 6 times in all and replaced the seals adjusted the roof and then fitted new modified seals never having the car more than 2 days which I argued was a waste of time as the roof seemed to build up with water over a few days before leaking. I was then told by Driveline that car not developed for English weather and what else did I want them to do as they had done everything that Renault required them to do. I contacted Renault UK and spoke to a Gareth West who put me onto KAP garage in Folkestone service manager called Matt. I had the car in for 6 weeks total, even had the Renault specialists down to it. The roof was totally stripped down and they found 2 holes had been drilled in the roof frame that should not have been there. A new roof was fitted and there is not even a drip now, Matt and KAP garage were brilliant, Gareth at Renault UK even paid for me to get the interior valeted. Driveline waste of space and as long as your car is less than 3 years old, regardless of service records, the Renault warranty stands and you do not pay - Michael Carpenter from Kent

My wife has a 07 plate 1.6 Cabriolet that we purchased privately in Jan-09, Within a month the roof was leaking. Although we had a warranty from the private garage it was still covered by Renault so booked into Driveline Ashford. They had it in about 6 times in all and replaced the seals adjusted the roof and then fitted new modified seals, never having the car more than 2 days which I argued was a waste of time as the roof seemed to build up with water over a few days before leaking. I was then told by Driveline that the car was not developed for English weather and what else did I want them to do as they had done everything that Renault required them to do. Contacted Renault UK and spoke to a Gareth West who put me onto KAP garage in Folkestone, Service Manager called Matt. They had the car in for 6 weeks total, even had the Renault specialists down to it. The roof was totally stripped down and they found 2 holes had been drilled in the roof frame that should not have been there. A new roof fitted and there is not even a drip now, Matt and KAP garage were brilliant, Gareth at renault UK even paid for me to get the interior valeted. Driveline waste of space and as long as your car is less than 3 years old regardless of service records the Renault warranty stands and you do not pay - Michael Carpenter from Kent

Submitted: 2010-02-09 | ID: 46042

Paul Jones, England

Renault Megane 2010

I have had my car 4 days....tried the roof 3 times now and on the 4th go the plastic bit that lifts up, letting the roof move then moves back once complete, doesn’t work; it lifts up but then doesn’t go back down. It’s going back to dealer on saturday, hope this is not that start of many problems.

Same problem in 2004 seems they have not fixed it yet! - from Bedfordshire

Hi Paul, I am having the same problem but mine broke 2 days after I got the car.. dealer is refusing to do anything about it, just wondering what was the issue was with your car and the costs? I’ve already paid out over £200 to investigate the issue robcop_8182@hotmail.co.uk - Paul Coppell from England

Any help any one can give me with this problem will be much appreciated. scott@rentmansoftware.com thanks - Scott Emmons from London

Hi there Paul. I would be interested to know how the story of your non-opening roof ended. Did you get it sorted and was it easy or a nightmare. Apart from that, how do you find it? Many thanks, a prospective owner - Ann McBeth from Surrey

Submitted: 2010-02-04 | ID: 46047

Jamie Wells, Buckinghamshire

Renault Megane 2007

Never buy a Megane, I have covered 29000 Miles in it from new and I’m not sure were to start about telling you all on how awfull this car is. It’s given me so much trouble in the past 3 years, I would need a few hours to tell you about it. When you look at the reliability surveys online and you see that this is the worst, trust me it’s not joking. I’ve seen them and I thought, it can’t be that bad, honestly its worse than that. Never ever ever buy a Megane or a Renault for that matter because I have learnt after owning 2 of them. I gave it one star (thats me being generous about it) because of the shockingly bad mechanical & electrical reliability.

Submitted: 2010-01-22 | ID: 46285

Elaine Flannigan, Ayrshire

Renault Megane 2007

I bought a Renault Megane Cabriolet in 2007. It has been in the garage 5 times for the same Water Ingress repair. It is impossible to drive the car in the rain as you arrive at your destination absolutely drenched. The mechanic has told me that it is: (1) Due to parking the car on a slope with the wind and rain facing the car! and (2) Due to me not cleaning the seal every week with furniture polish!! The garage take no responsibility and Renault won’t even answer my letters. I have taken it a step further now and written to Watchdog, in the hope that many of you have done the same. Only then will we maybe get something done about this. Why should we pay good money to drive a car Not Fit For Purpose? And also be told all these fabrications as to why the fault keeps happening? Renault need a kick up the exhaust and we should all join together in this one.

Same problem here hence never buy Megane again - from Bedfordshire

Sounds like you are beign told a load of porkies. We have a 2008 model & have never been near it with any furniture polish or anything else & have never seen any leakage no matter where or how we park it! - John Cousins from Norfolk

Hi. I agree with all you have detailed here and got some of the same responses. The extras on mine as like you I had from new are the handbrake failed and was still on. I was asked by a mechanic at Renault if I had put the handbrake on correctly which obviously I had as otherwise when I got out it would have gone down the hill and was still on when I got it out of a wall. I then had to go and get tested on a handbrake machine to see if I could put it on enough, which obviously I can. The letter sent to the exec of Renault ustomer services had no response and the after service is appalling. Now mine is in the garage again with a fuel and injector leak, the faults are never ending - Jenny Webb from England

Same problem, going to Watchdog, would like to talk 07716516562 after 6pm - Sylvia Prynn from Middlesex

Submitted: 2010-01-21 | ID: 46003

Alan, Spain

Renault Megane 2007

It’s all down to luck really, I had a 1.6 petrol 2005 CC which leaked like a sieve, brakes howled and it judded in 1st. Also quite creaky. Being a sucker for punishment I traded it in for an ’07 also 1.6 but with 5 horses less. It has been like day and night. Roof has been in some heavy downpours and whilst not watertight it is fine, clutch is correct taking off and roof doesn’t creak as much. All round a much better car even though it is the same car. In fact it is a much livlier machine even though it has 5 horses less. Living in Spain I have roof up and down all the time and it’s fine. Breaks still howl but I find it a fun car to own and drive.

Submitted: 2010-01-20 | ID: 46008

San Sar, Lancashire

Renault Megane 2003

I bought this car in September 2009, I have to say its a great looker, but that’s all it really is apart from a pain in the a**e. Had nothing but problems from the start. Only starts when it wants to, dashboard now showing ELECTRONIC FAULT, only Renault can rectify this problem which means departing from a lot of hard earned cash. This seems to be a common problem with Megane’s or shall I say RENAULT’S. Moral of the story DO NOT BUY A RENAULT. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...

I have had the same problem. I bought this car, 2004 Renault privilege convertible, in December 2009 23rd to be exact. I have had nothing but trouble with it from the minute I got it. I have had it in the garage 3 times for electrical faults. The wipers have now gone twice and then start on their own again maybe a day or two after the fact. Also driving home this evening 7/5/2010 and the injection fault light came on with the stop light on as well. Don’t know what to do. Do you have the same problem? - Jill Barton from County Armagh

Hi Jill, I’m assuming it was Shelboune Motors you took your Megane to? I have a 2004 Megane 1.5 dCi Dynamique 5Dr and I have been having nothing but trouble with the engine and electrics. The ’STOP’ warning light and ’Injection Fault’ on the dash board appeared the other day and Shelbourne quoted £1300 to fit a new pump and 4 new injectors. I’m not impressed with the Renault customer service/ Shelbourne Motors Renault or the cars themselves - Suzanne Sloan from County Armagh

Submitted: 2010-01-19 | ID: 46282

Juliette, England

Renault Megane 2007

We have a Renault Dynamique Sport Tourer 2007 reg, purchased from a Renault dealer via "Renault to go" in 2008. We have had a clutch judder since purchasing the vehicle from Renault’s dealer in Norwich. The car is still under warranty (until April 2010), but Renault UK have refused to replace the clutch to date and will do nothing to help us. The judder has become so bad now when the clutch is warm, that it is now unsafe to pull out at junctions or roundabouts and having a baby in the car, this is really frightening me. I’ve had two near misses and am just waiting for that serious accident to happen, either to me, or to someone else. We are currently threatening Renault UK with legal action (we don’t know what else to do!), unless they try a replacement clutch in the vehicle, or indeed fix the problem they have created. Renault UK have confirmed that clutch judder is a manufacturing defect, due to the materials they use within their clutches and is a common problem with many Renaults, not just Meganes. When the clutch becomes hot, the materials used cannot grip due to lack of moisture, which causes the clutch to slip, resulting in the judder. Apparently Renault used to use asbestos in their older clutches, which worked very well, but are no longer allowed to do so under modern legislation. Renault are apparently working on a solution but will not confirm when this will be sorted and will not replace the clutch in view of this! In the meantime, everyone with a dangerous vehicle is left still driving on the road with no other option. I’m just waiting for the accident to happen. Then, if me and my baby boy are still here, I shall be suing them big time!

I had to respond to this report as we have exactly the same problem as Juliette. We have a 2008 renault megane which has recently developed a judder when pulling away particulary on an incline in first and second gear, again this is noticible when the car is warm The garage claim it is not dangerous but we lose acceleration pulling off and cannot respond safely to the road conditions. Our car is a motability car for our disabled son. The garage has said that they are waiting for a modified clutch to be delivered from renault and have waved a vague two week promise at us. Meanwhile I’m waiting for that accident to happen too, particularly as we have to use short sliproads on to dual carriage ways and busy roundabouts everyday on our sons school run to his special school. Good news is that motability if the RAC agree with us about this fault being dangerous will provide us with a hire car for the duration but this situation is not satisfactory. This fault is dangerous not just inconvenient - from England

Submitted: 2010-01-16 | ID: 46327

Douglas Campbell, Dumfriesshire

Renault Megane 2009

I’ve had my Megane since March 09 and simply love the machine. My previous was a Peugeot 307 which squeaked and rattled after only 1000 miles. I have covered 12500 miles with the Megane now and it’s as tight and quite as the day I picked it up. My fuel economy is averaging 42mpg. Being the Dynamique model it has Bluetooth, auto lights and a hands free entry system which I could not live without now. Best car I have ever owned and will buy again in an instant.

Submitted: 2010-01-14 | ID: 46281

Gail Greenwood, Lancashire

Renault Megane 2006

We bought the car from new and we are very happy with the 1.5 diesel engine. It does 60mpg on a run. However, recently we are getting clutch judder in first gear which gets worse as we drive for longer, very annoying. I think the car may be out of warranty now, does anybody know if its difficult to fix?

I’ve had an accident in my Transporter T5 174 2006. I braked to enter a side turning and felt a normal firm brake pedal but with little or no braking power at all. (Dry road - no ABS pulsing pedal sensation) I smashed into a wall and parked car. I reversed back and brakes then seemed to work OK. Been driving 35 years with no accidents. Something is very wrong here. I felt this lack of braking power just once before but it was so momentary I unfortunately thought no more of it. Been looking on the web and there are many reports of similar mysterious servo/braking problems with VAG vehicles - from London

I had a new clutch on my 2006 fitted just at the last few days of it’s warranty last July. The car had only done 18,000 miles and had been mine from new. Renault would not cover it under warranty and said it was "driver error". I had the judder for about 1 month before I took it to the dealer so was very disappointed at the outcome - Niki Swanborough from London

Submitted: 2010-01-08 | ID: 46009

George Dyson, Yorkshire

Renault Megane 2006

The good parts about this dci 86 car first... Most comfortable ride in it’s class. Amazingly low fuel consumption for its size, nudging 60mpg in Leeds. Is a proper four-seater, with a proper boot/trunk. No annoying engine, wind, tyre noise. No squeaks, rattles and groans. No electronic faults so far... However, The clutch needs redesigning along with that daft dual-mass flywheel. Too heavy, slightly juddery, slightly snatchy. Two different mechanics tried it ,said quite normal, nothing actually wrong. After only a month’s use from purchase second hand at 88,000miles, (’56 reg.) there have been injector problems flagged up on display with loss of power and blue smoke. Revving the engine in driveway shows misfire and smoke smelling of badly burned diesel. Currently trying various brands of injector cleaner to try and sort. These are v. high pressure systems (runs at 25,000lbs/sq") so it may take some time to cure. It’s ok and plenty power at the moment... It’s my opinion that the french car builders shoot themselves in the foot over practical commonsense things, something Ford and Opel/Vauxhall don’t seem to do to anything like the same extent. The most reliable car I ever had was a Ford Mondeo diesel, over six years. I had a Citroen C4 with the 1.6 HDi engine before this megane -- fantastic car, a real road rocket; then it decided to set itself on fire while parked after only one year. It was a write-off, and it should have been recalled for mods. to the ABS brake unit, known to catch fire. Guess who the one previous owner was? Citroen leasing!!!

Submitted: 2010-01-01 | ID: 46280

Keith Low, Angus (Forfarshire)

Renault Megane 2009

I bought a saloon 1600 dynamique April 2009 and have no complaints at all. Very well equipped, comfy, reasonable petrol consumption, excellent boot space, however, I started to see the odd coupe being driven about and kicked myself for not waiting, I always buy demonstrators or pre reg cars and there were none about in april. December 2009 traded my saloon for orange 1600 dynamique coupe. I love it, much prefer the firmer ride, looks great from any angle. Mine has dual climate control, panoramic sunroof and privilage alloys. These were all additions pre purchase. Next year i want a 2 litre turbo in white.

Submitted: 2009-12-12 | ID: 45986

Sean Patterson, County Down

Renault Megane 2009

I hope this is not the kiss of death but here goes! I, with great trepidation, I may add, bought my Megane 1.6 Dynamique Cabriolet about 5 weeks ago. Touch wood, there have been no glitches yet. I find that if you "do exactly as it says on the tin" she’s great, not a sports car but a nice driver though I do feel the steering to be bit strange after driving a 2002 Suzuki Alto. She’s reasonably nippy and averaging at about 38-40 MPG, for a petrol engine, It seems to be economical. My only gripe is that I find adjusting the seat height and leg room quite difficult, my head at times seeming to touch the roof despite the fact I’m only 5’6" and I can’t seem to get the lumber conrol just right which leaves my back a bit achy after a long trip. But so far I’m happy cruising along listening To the Searchers! At 56 all I can as you’re only old once!

Submitted: 2009-12-07 | ID: 45997

Stewart Farr, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Renault Megane 2005

I bought my CC in 06, one year old from Renault, Penarth Road. I have kept up a full service record on it and on 3 occasions while being serviced asked the dealership to check for any roof leaks, as I was having a lot of moisture in the car regardless of the weather conditions. Each time I was informed that there was no leak’s. The Winter was the worst time, having to scrape ICE off the inside of all windows a daunting task at 4a.m. before driving to work. The Summer was embarrasing getting into a steamed up car after parking it for a few hours while shopping or being at work. I could only put it down to some damp air getting into the car some how, as the Professionals(?) at Renault said there was no evidence of water ingress. 6 months before the waranty ran out I took it to SR BABBER, Tonypandy after finding the boot contained at the least a gallon or two of water. The garage informed me I must have used too much water washing it?!. I came back from a holiday on 9th. Nov this year only to find My rear seat’s and back rest soaked. I removed the rear seat to find two inches of water sloshing around. I spent a week trying to dry it out but to no avail and then bit the bullet and booked it in to Renault Cardiff,sweet joy.., £90 per hour labour, you can fly to the Canaries twice for that from Bristol. The final bill was £801.27p. No replacement seals were used in the making of this bill only one tube of SILICONE. To add insult to injury when I got into my still steamed up car on the fore court I found the seat back still soaking wet, the base seat was at home. I spoke with the Service Manager(?) and pointed out the problem asking him if his team did joined up thinking and could they not have dried the car at the same time? He just got a lad from the workshop and told him to suck out as much water as he could, no real regret as to his departments poor service. I am now in the process of making a formal complaint to Renault UK about the poor service and what I believe to be a manufacturing fault with the Megan CC roof construction. I love the 2 cars in one concept of the CC but Renault should do something about these defects, as they have been aware of it since the car was launched..

My partner bought a 2005 model from Renault Croydon and from new had Water Ingress issues from the roof, even Renault replaced all the seals (in bodyshop at London West for the whole of June 2009) but this did not resolve the issues. The response from Bodyshop Mgr was that it was "repaired to Renault’s specification ....and performs as per manufacturers expectations." Heaven help all those with a Megane Coupe-Cabriolet!! Within 4 weeks and with the use of the roof with the little Summer Sun the leaks, - sorry Water Ingress varied from side to side. In late Aug 2009 we went back into t

I bought the Meganne cabriolet 05 plate May last year from a Renault dealer and within days it has never been out of the workshop for my ’imagined’ water pouring in.. oops sorry water ingress. All seals have been replaced, special sealant has been applied etc, etc, etc. They say it never leaked when on their forecourt, however, the seats (leather) were covered in water streaks when I took possesion. This SHOULD have given me a clue. The windows steam up in all weather and the winter saw it frozen from the inside!! They think I am lying despite photos and driving it into their shop when it was pouring in. Eight months down the line I am no further forward with my complaint. I either accept a lesser car costing a lot less (ie. I lose almost £4,000) or allow them to AGAIN keep the car until they find the fault.. Someone give me a clue to our legal rights here, this car is not ’fit for purpose’ yet I feel like the one in the wrong. They won’t consider giving me my money back - Ann Irwin from NorthumberlandI have also had "water ingress" problems. My ’56 model was purchased from the Renault "Motorline" dealership in Ashford Kent in February 09 with an extended warranty. We found out later that this didn’t include leaks. I enjoyed the car through the summer but a small leak appeared on the driver’s side in October. It went back to the dealers to be investigated and it can back..after we paid a bill of £400+ with both sides leaking but not with a small leak but with a flood. Two more extended stays in the garage later and a further £150+ lighter the car appears to be leak free...at present. We were promised a complete valeting to remove the wter stains from the upholstery but this didn’t happen. The man on the service desk was very rude and off hand when the car was collected. A letter of complainted was sent to the Manager of the dealership and to date, two months later we have received no response to our complaints - Annemarie Bolt from Kent

Just been reading your report. Like you I was amazed at the £90 per hour charge at the Penarth road dealership. I have a 1.9 DCI Megane Dynamique brought from new in 2003. Biggest motoring mistake of my life. The water ingress is a common fault with these cars, perhaps one should say design fault; nearly every day I have to wipe the condensation from the inside of the car to make it possible to see. Often the drivers side door compartment is full of water. Many others have complained about this. In 2007 I had the service light come on and it came up with ’injection fault’. This needed a new glow plug to be fitted, grand total for this in Cambridge was just under £50. Had a call from the Cardiff dealership, exactly the same fault (another design one according to the guys in Cambridge) and the cost is just under £140. Rip off merchants indeed. I will be taking my receipt copy along with me this afternoon to demand why it is nearly three times the cost. I have learnt many valuable lessons, one of which is do not buy another Renault - Graham Evans from Cardiff

Stuart you need to write to the man in charge in Renault Cardiff chris.williams@renault.co.uk. I am in the process of a complaint at the moment and have customer service involved as well. You want any help drop me an email at welshstrongbow@googlemail.com i would be glad to help where possible - Terry Jones from Rhondda Cynon Taff

Submitted: 2009-12-03 | ID: 45998

Rosina, Hertfordshire

Renault Megane 2007

I bought my from new in 2007. I absolutely love it, but am concerned that whenever I have a problem, the local dealer can’t find it. They reset the computer, which is usually fine, but within 5 minutes into my journey to work in the morning I experienced a jolt, like the car had jumped up a gear and it became a bit sluggish. The message on the computer screen showed ’check gearbox’. This has happened at least 7 times recently and each time it does I have to pull over to switch off the engine and restart it to clear the problem. It happened again today. My only option is to leave my car with with the dealer over night so someone can drive it the following morning, but who’s to say it will happen when they drive it? Any one had a similar problem?

The update: The problem was a faulty valve in the gearbox, which could have been extremely expensive if the car wasn’t under warranty - from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 2009-11-20 | ID: 45995

Dave, Fife and Kinross Shires

Renault Megane 2001

I love my Megane was an absolute steal when I bought it earlier this year only £1500. Drives great, cheap to run, interior is great doesn’t show it’s age at all! I haven’t had to do a thing to it only thing I’ve changed was the timing belt and water pump as recommended. The dealer also did the accessory belt and coils at no extra charge. The car has really been a joy to own and I will probably be buying another Renault when I’m ready to replace!

Hello, I test drove a Megane 1.4 55 plate (£5000) on saturday and wanted something with a little more pull, I also tried to open the sunroof and it wouldn’t close again, eek! Is this a common problem with these? I have my heart set on the Megane and have therefore booked a test drive with another Megane 1.6 this week. I told the man in the garage i was after a slightly bigger engine and fair do’s he’s got back to me with this one. (£3500) ~ Do you think this is a good price? Sort of making me wonder why its much cheaper?? It’s slightly older than the first one I drove but still has a sunroof/alloys. Sorry to chew your ear off but just wanted some advice really. Thank u for reading ;) - Danielle Bradshaw from Wales

I love my 52 red Cabriolet. Roof no problem but I need one with a hard top now, I will weep to PX it this month and am probably stupidly going for another Megane, the new Hatch this time. And of course it is red. They are just such lovely whizzy cars. So if you want to upgrade in style you know where to look - Dinah Parker from Kent

Submitted: 2009-11-14 | ID: 46277

Barry, Hertfordshire

Renault Megane 2008

Fantastic! Love my Renault Megane Sport Hatch! This is a great car with top of the range spec. Air con, alloys, nice metalic finish and cruise control make this a really high quality car. It’s also got a great style that still looks fresh and more thoughtful than almost any other car on the road. The best bit is how this car drives; it takes country lanes in it’s stride, rounding bends and charging up hills with ease, motorway driving is a doddle (especially if you just stick on the cruise control) and handling about town is fine. There’s a new model out now, without the stand out rear end of this one, but if you can pick up a used model go for it - you won’t regret it!

Submitted: 2009-11-06 | ID: 46321

Robert McWilliam, Renfrewshire

Renault Megane 2005

I looked at this site before we bought our Megane cc and it did put some thoughts in my mind but we bought one anyway and it’s spot on. I would also recommend buying the 1.9 diesel as it gives economy and performance.

Submitted: 2009-11-06 | ID: 46012

Vusi Ntimbane, County Down

Renault Megane 2003

Hi all. I’m a young South African individual and I have had this car for close to a year. I own the 1.9 DCi full spec with the leather and all the bells and whistles, which I bought second hand with low mileage. The car is in an all around brilliant condition, however, I have replaced my clutch, suffered with "Injection Fault" and have had to change the crank pulley as well amongst numerous other things. Now I don’t know what this will convert into as far as UK currency is concerned but I have spent no less than R25,000 south african rands (Hard earned) on repairs for this car. I love the performance and asthetics, however they are not enough when it comes to going for a reliable car, I think it’s safe to say I’ll be sticking to VW/Audi from now on.

Submitted: 2009-11-03 | ID: 46276

John Rowe, Flintshire

Renault Megane 2009

What a motor! What a bargain! The colour is Ruby Red metallic set off by silver roof arches: black leather with white stitching: cruise control: speed limiter: Jarsalle alloys: reversing sensors: Q3 paint treatment... and all for under £16k brand new on a ’59 plate. Yes, it’s now a run-out model but who cares? She, ’Ruby’ of course, is a real head turner either with the roof up or down and so different from the usual black/quartz/silver you so often see! Downsides?.. well, this is not a car you buy with "eyes wide shut" is it? After all, the body flexing or ’scuttle shake’ helps cause the various squeaks and rattles which come as standard on any cabriolet. The ride quality will always be compromised because of this. No spare wheel? a common weight/space saving idea within the motor industry but the Megane CC really should have had one. Don’t moan about it, take more care over your purchase next time! I hope to order a spare from an independent source and I’ll let you know how I get on. My stepdaughter lives in Andorra so I cannot wait to use the cruise on the French A20. Mmmm! Yes there are faults, but no car is perfect. HAPPY MOTORING!!

Hi, I had the same worries as I do a lot of motorway driving. My solution was to buy a fullsize alloy wheel off E-Bay and got rid of the boot liner. I then made up a new liner (in two parts) made from plywood and covered it in matching carpet fabric. I have lost abot 20% of the boot space as a result but I am much happier knowing that I can change the wheel if I have to. I have also kept in the boot the foam filler, just in case. Total cost about £70.00 Hope this helps - Graham Freeth from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2009-10-27 | ID: 46013

John Cox, Lincolnshire

Renault Megane 2006

I was travelling down a clear road with no traffic or people when the glass top exploded leaving glass on both my wife and myself. I returned the car to F Cross Scunthorpe who made out we were lying as this had never happened before. I had to claim on insurance and also found out on-line there have been several happenings like this.

This has happened twice on my Megane cc. The small rear passenger near side just exploded one day when we were taking the shopping out. We had it replaced. Then a few months later my car was in Renault Cardiff (again) being repaired and they phoned me and told me they had to replace the off side rear passenger window as it just exploded for no reason. ??? - Terry Jones from Rhondda Cynon Taff

Submitted: 2009-10-22 | ID: 46026

Jan M, Derbyshire

Renault Megane 2006

Hi everyone! Unlike other reviewers I have had no problems with my cabrio. It is a constant joy to drive and still a head turner.

Submitted: 2009-10-20 | ID: 46028

Maureen McEwan, Inverness-shire

Renault Megane 2006

I bought this car ex demo and have usual complaint about the leaking roof. I love the car to drive and of course its looks. I’m trying to find out about replacing wing mirror assembly cover glass. Of course paint and labour charge from dealer is £270.

Submitted: 2009-10-16 | ID: 46029

Tamryn, Surrey

Renault Megane 2004

I bought my Megane new in 04. Recently I noticed the roof was leaking on the passenger side. I booked the car into a dealership in Feb, however was subsequently told that they couldn’t find the leak and that if I wanted them to look into it further I would have to pay almost £200?? Subsequently the leak got worse and I booked the car into the same dealership (mistake I know!) they have now told me that I need a new roof seal, and the roof needs re-aligning at a grand total of £900!! I am waiting on a second opinion from another dealership. Has anyone else had these problems or experienced poor service from Renault UK?

This could be your problem if your carpets are soaking, push your knuckels hard down on the floor behind the seats and see if water rises to the surface. I purchased my car second user in April 2007, it was 18 months old. A couple of months after I had the car I was leaning across the back seats to get something and put my hand down to support myself and noticed the floor was soaking, the water was coming up through the carpet. So as it was still covered by warranty I called my nearest renault garage (Cardiff) and booked it in. They had it for a week and phoned me up and said they could not find any leaks. So a couple of months later when we had another downpoar I checked the back floor and it was soaking wet again. I phoned Renault Cardiff again they said they were aware of a problem now with the roof seals and booked it in again on 23rd October 2008. We had the car back and the roof was rattling like hell and on the next big downpoar the floor was still soaking but by now the warranty had ran out. My wife phoned cardiff and she was asked is she parking it on a hill and she is washing the car too much. As it was, Renault Customer service texted my wife asking if was she happy with the service. To which she replied no and told them about the problems and that they should have done a good job and they should guarantee their work. We were told they would look into it, after months upon months of us phoning customer services, as they were not getting back to us, we finally had our car booked in on Friday 18th september 2009 whilst we were going away on holidays for a week. We had a phone call in Spain on the monday telling us that customer service had okayed the work. We came back on the following Sunday and I phoned Renault Cardiff the next day to arrange pick up of my car, to which they replied we are still waiting for customer service to get back to us to see who is going to pay for the work as it was not a manufacture problem. I quizzed this and they said that under the windscreen wiper motor cover that runs along the bottom of the windscreen there is a hole either side which drains the water off down to the floor. These 2 holes had become blocked with debris over a length of time and the water was building up in the trough and there is a plastic letterbox type air intake which the water was pouring down into the car. I explained that this must have been the problem all the time and it had been missed the other 2 occasions it went in, the only reason the fitter in Renault found the fault this time was that when he drove the car in, stopped suddenly, and found that his foot was wet by the pedals. This, in my opinion, is a bad design as the fitters did not even know about these holes, so how am I supposed to know they are there, and if they get blocked up like they did the easiest for the water to go is in the car. If this problem was found the first time then there would not have been a bill for £2811.40 now. Customer Services are saying it is not a design fault and that they are willing, as a token of good gesture, to pay 50% of the cost to sort the problem out. I now have What Car Magazine chasing it up for me. If they get no joy then I think Watchdog will be getting a call from me - Terry Jones from Rhondda Cynon Taff

Thank you, thank you, Terry Jones, I have been going out of my mind thinking I am the only person with this problem after my local Renault dealership has told me it is unique to me. My car is currently in bits at the Renault garage still full of water, everything has been affected by the water and we are being faced with a two possibly three thousand pound bill. We have had our Domonique coupe 18months from new, so yes, still under warranty. Totally unacceptable Renault - Ian Cunningham from Yorkshire

From Mackay - Australia Hi guys (Terry & Ian), thank God I found your blog: me too I was turning mad looking for the leakage in my 2005 cabriolet 2L Exeption, and as a matter of fact the leak come from the front under the wipers motor cover as you described it; I found the little holes, obviously far too small and easily clogged up; the next problem arising with the water or the humidity is a short circuit on the electronic system: I lost the wipers command, I do not know if it is coming from the winscreen wipers motor or from the black handle near the sterring wheel; anyway I am stuffed till the far end, as in Australia no-one knows about Renault (except in the big cities, miles away from where I live); the dealer was a nightmare of incomptence, I show him how to turn off the little flashing wrench for the service and so many other stories. I can’t believe I kept this car for 5 years... Anyway I going to trade it (the remnants) for the new Mercedes E cabriolet. Thanks again mates for sharing your stories. - from Australia

Submitted: 2009-10-09 | ID: 46017

Jennifer, Wales

Renault Megane 2009

I bought my Renault, and after having it less than 6 months the toxic fuel light came on. I took it to Renault main dealers who advised me to have a 120 point service and the fault would be flushed out. I did this at a cost of over £400 and 3 weeks later guess what? The toxic fuel light came back on. Took it back to Renault and they advised that they would take a look at it for me, the engineer wanted a further £1,200 to rectify, but hey I am thinking I thought the service was meant to rectify this... I went for a second opinion, I should add Renault wouldn’t release my car until I paid an extra £300 for them to put it back together, and got a chip replaced at another garage for £80. End of the story... no way... my car loses complete power when I am driving it for no reason, over revs when it is stationary... doesn’t start first time... leaks through the door seals... and every garage I take it too tells me something different. I have had all the coils replaced, spark plugs, the list goes on and still after spending x amount of pounds on this heap of ****. I am now seriously considering writing a strongly worded letter to Renault UK... knowing before I have put pen to paper it will not acheive what it is meant to, just like this stupid car. Anyone who is remotely considering buying a renault, do yourself a favour and DON’T!

There is not much to say. I bought a Megane in 2005 and ever since I have been facing trouble. The lesson I have learnt is ’Never go for another Renault - what ever it is’ - V V from Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Submitted: 2009-10-08 | ID: 46274

Paul, Lincolnshire

Renault Megane 2008

Don’t touch Renault Megane’s. Mine is a 1.9 dci, nothing but problems all the time, the garage has had it more than I have. They are very poorly made cars: check injection, engine rattles, electric windows stop working, brakes fade plus calipers rattle, up to every 1000 miles burns a litre of oil, uses a lot of fuel, turbos blow up on low mileage.

Same here. Got an 05 plate 1.9DCI. Dashboard blown, turbo blown. Cam pulleys wearing out. Check injection fault, wipers dont clean the window. Total piece of cr*p...never buy Renault - John Mac from Derbyshire

Submitted: 2009-10-08 | ID: 46272

Norman, Roxburghshire

Renault Megane 2006

Bought this car for my wife who loves it. Started leaking driver side and then passenger side. Taken to Renault Hawick under warranty several times but they could not fix it. They said "It’s the way the car is designed." Seriously! Eventually took it to Renault in Edinburgh who fitted new seals and adjusted the front windows and cured the problem. This is a known fix for leaks. Apart from the annoyance with the leak and particularly the Hawick dealership this is a great car.

Hello Norman, on reading your review and many more!! May I ask were the seals apparently from the 2007 modification to these seals? Thank you for your advise, look forward to hearing from you. I love my car!!! - Karen Whittaker from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 2009-10-07 | ID: 46015

Andy, Staffordshire

Renault Megane 2005

My wife and I bought our Megane CC Privilege in March this year (09) as we were told the prices would rocket in the Spring/early Summer. Unfortunately, we purchased the car without having someone look over it first. After a couple of weeks we found that the nearside front strut was completely shot and the top of the wheel was moving in and out about two inches. After a bit of ’negotiation’ I managed to get it fixed on the three month warranty the vehicle came with. Everything seemed OK for a while but then a loud ’tapping’ started coming from the rear nearside quarter/parcel shelf. As yet I have not been able to rectify this. The newest problem we have had is, we dropped the roof down a couple of weeks ago and the rear offside window went down about two inches, after pulling all the windows up on the centre console switch, this window stayed where it was. We put the roof back up, the window stayed where it was again. We could not go out in the car as we could not leave it with a window open. Managed to temporarily rectify this by removing a battery terminal hoping to re-set the system. Neither the driver’s door or panel switches work for this window, it only works with console switches. I was told a new "computer’ for the window would be £200 plus. It is a shame that these cars have these faults as ours, with the 1.9Dci engine, drives really well and has a lot of power. We are currently averaging 60+mpg on a run out but worried about putting the roof down because of the window problem and hoping the loud tapping noise doesn’t start as it annoys the hell out of me!

We had the same problem and Renault paid two thirds of the cost, we only paid £80 to get the window problem fixed - Emma Newton from Lincolnshire

I have a Renault Dynamique cc 07. I also have the leaky roof problem on passenger side. It was solved very simply by applying vaseline to the seal between windscreen and roof this creates a waterproof seal. Reapply after carwash. Hope this is of some help - Dermot Burke from Ireland

Submitted: 2009-09-30 | ID: 46023

Paul, England

Renault Megane 2002

I bought a second hand Renault cab- 51 plate... no leaks so far! Despite washing the car with lots of water on the roof.... still nothing. Only gripe is, the steering fluid is leaking somewhere, will get it fixed soon. Other then that its a great car, and a head turner!

Yeah you’re right, this year and model of cab is great looking and drives very nice too, also no leaks, but if you have any info as to how to make the back window clear with what ever solution I can use on it this would be realy helpful - Ian Pleasant from Northumberland.

Submitted: 2009-09-30 | ID: 46021

Vincent Gay, Warwickshire

Renault Megane 2009

This is my second Renault after 30 years of MG Rover and others. I find the standard of finish on the new car is excellent, as was the older 86 bhp shake your ass shape. The standard extras are brilliant - cruise, speed limit, auto lights, wipers to name but few. And the engine power is good, the extra 20 horses make a big difference. Cheap tax is another bonus. But most of all I can’t praise highly enough the service of the local Renault Dealer in Birmingham. I had a slight problem with the old car after warranty expired; they made good the problem with no charge!! The new car shape is pleasing to the eye and it drives very well. If I could improve anything it would be the 6 speed gearbox, I’m getting too old for all the gear changing. OVERALL I WOULD RATE THIS CAR AS FIVE STAR + it has only done 1,100 miles so the fuel consumption has not reached the advertised levels but it still returns 46 to a gallon around town. Hope that helps.

Submitted: 2009-09-28 | ID: 46271

John, County Tyrone

Renault Megane 2006

WARNING: Complete and utter PILE OF S***E!!! Never ever buy one of these, a waste of my hard earned money. I had a Peugeot 307 HDi before this and it was twice the car the Megane is. I always had a Peugeot and they are excellent, I’m seriously thinking of changing this for a new 308. Renault customer service is useless. NEVER BUY RENAULT!!!!

Submitted: 2009-09-28 | ID: 46270

Sharon Thompson, Cheshire

Renault Megane 2009

I’ve never had a Renault before. I have been driving for 22 years and nothing can compair to the standard and gizmos; they are simply brilliant!! Air con, speed limiter, cruise control, auto lights, auto windscreen wipers, keyless entry - no more fumbling for keys - and the best gizmo has to be the bluetooth, no more messing around with head sets. With the sports kit that came with the World Series Edition (Dynamique) it look the biz too. Love all the space and places to put the kids bits and bobs, shopping etc. Simply fantastic!!!!

The owners manual recommend main dealer for changing light bulbs, at £100 a time. That’s in the region of £800 for changing light bulbs over say a 3 year period. That’s some ’cost of ownership’ model. Renault UK did provide some compensation towards this, but stated that it had been designed like this due to safety crumple zones at the front! TOSH! Driving without working lights at night is dangerous and an offence. If my wife has to find a Renault main dealer to change a light bulb on a weekend to be able to use the vehicle then in my book it’s not fit for purpose - David Mason from Yorkshire

Re: lights. This problem was on the previous model range which is as different as chalk is to cheese. Having owned both, the new Megane is in another world in all departments I would recommend not knocking it till you’ve tried it ;-) - Jimmy H from Ayrshire

Submitted: 2009-09-23 | ID: 46264

Jason Spicket, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Renault Megane 2005

Bought my 55 plate CC in January 2009..When I first had it the alarm would activate for no reason and usually in the early hours. It was like having a new born baby. I overcame this problem by isolating the interior sensors by pressing the stop / start button 5 times after I had turned off the engine. The other issue is that the roof leaks but this changes depending on when the roof was lowered; sometimes the left side will leak and then the right but only a drip. Overall I’m pleased with it.

My car has gone into Renault twice to stop a leak on both sides, they stopped it on the passenger side but the driver side is still leaking. The warranty has run out so I contacted Renault head office customer services and they said that Renault Cardiff have told them that it is not a manufacture problem but leaves blocking somewhere and are looking to charge me £500 not happy at all - Terry Jones from Rhondda Cynon Taff

An update to the last post. Renualt Cardiff decided that the electrics were contaminated and gave me a quote of £3300. My insurance company would not cover it but I managed to get them down to £2811. If they would have sorted the leak out the first time we would not be where we are now. I have been without my car for 4 weeks now - Terry Jones from Rhondda Cynon Taff

Submitted: 2009-08-28 | ID: 46038

Kevin Stanley, Cheshire

Renault Megane 2004

Having had Renault’s before I was aware of the cost of parts and labour, which are not cheap in comparrison to other brands. Therefore it was important to find a good example with service history. After getting a 70k model the first thing I had to do was get a service and cambelt change, be aware that most independant garages are recomending a water pump change and gave good reasons to do so... Renault did not! Renault agents were expensive as you would expect at £670 for service and belt. The paint work is what I have found not to good, it appears to be quite thin and the undercoat on my blue version does come through rather easily. The isofix seat in the rear is also suspect as constant use of it down does tend to mishapen it and therefor create problems getting it to sit correctly. Fuel economy seems to be very good at around 37 around town. It is early days for us, but this is what has jumped out at us so far.

Submitted: 2009-08-24 | ID: 46326

Pete, Hertfordshire

Renault Megane 2009

I haven’t actually got a Megane but I had a 1999 Clio 1.6 16V which I loved and was totally reliable. I now have a Toyota Yaris which I absolutely hate, nothing but problems from new and it is horrid to drive and in fact I am in the process of rejecting it. I regret getting rid of the Clio and YES Renault dealers can be rather patchy along with the build quallty of some models but at least the cars are usually nice to drive and problems can get resolved. Also if you read what people think about the Clio on here, it is hard to work out why the Megane is apparently so different. What I am trying to say is the grass is not always greener on the other side and this "Don’t buy French cars" is a misleading myth from the past which should be dropped.

Submitted: 2009-08-17 | ID: 46267

Jon, England

Renault Megane 2006

Hello, I’m quite shocked at all these water ingress reports. I bought my Megane in February of 09 from Renault Cannock and have also have had an ingress problem. Currently they have had it back 4 times for the same problem but don’t seem to be able to fix it and I’ve been told now that because I park on a kerb (two wheels on two wheels on the road as most people do) that parking like this can stress the body or twist it. Is that right or am I being taken for a monkey by Renault? I’ve had conversations with Renault UK and they have been great and even though my car is out of warranty have done work on roof for free (although it was in warranty for the first 3 times they had it for the same problem). I’m now waiting to see if it leaks on a flat drive. I do love my car but what else can i do?

I bought a Renault CC 1.6 Dynamique in November 2008 - last day of the month, poor sales, salesmen needed quotas for Xmas bonus and I got a good price - 06 plate, 29,000 miles 6 grand flat otherwise I'd probably not have bought it. The leaky roof is a constant on almost all of them it would seem. I know 2 people with them an they both have the same issues. There seems to be a standard faults that cause the leaks, the main one being the seals at the joint where the roof meets the screen and a pressure switch that when the door windows go up and touch the rubber seal it senses the seal is there and stops the window then pushes it slowly an extra couple of mm into the seal. My wife has a Tigra and the system is similar but more aggressive and works better than the Renault. I have had experience of both problems. The switch one is serious because when it is faulty the window goes up touches the rubber and stops meaning there is almost no seal and a lot of water can get in the seal; one gives a steady but slow drip when the car is parked up (either on the kerb or on the flat drive). This is common in most cars from what I've learned. I've learned to live with it. Other annoying things with this car are - clutch is very light - common again and the main one for me is that it's very flat - you have to be heavy on the gas to get it to go. It just loves cruising. I went for a drive in the country up to Alston today and every time I looked in the mirror there was a big snake of cars behind me. Other than that it seems a canny motor and if we ever get a summer in the next couple of years the roof will earn it's corn! - Davy Robson from Durham

You say that leaks are a common to almost all of them but you don’t have any real evidence apart from anecdotal stories of two friends. I too know a couple of people who have them. They are both on their second car without any problems. I’ve had my one and only for 18 months now without any problems with water leaks. It’s brilliant! - from England

Submitted: 2009-08-14 | ID: 46034

Bill, Norfolk

Renault Megane 2007

I had a problem with squeaking coming from the rear parcel shelf area after a shunt. I found a plastic cover had become slightly displaced & now it’s all quiet inside again. NEVER had a water leak either. If you half raise the roof & look on the inside at the base of the rear screen you will see scoop shaped covers either side. These have three plastic clips built into them that secure them to slots in the metalwork. On mine two of the clips had become dislodge so I pushed them back into place & lubricated with a small squirt of WD40; no more noise. You can see the other side of the covers with the roof up as plastic covers with a row of plastic rivets just under the rear window sill. I’ve had the car now, since new, for 18 months & it’s brilliant. Did a trip to Kent last week (about 300 miles) with the top down, windows up, all the way & it was lovely. Returned over 46 mpg over the full length of the trip (including the stop start bits) which I think is excellent for a relatively heavy automatic.

Submitted: 2009-08-10 | ID: 46030

Kirsty, England

Renault Megane 2006

Hiya Clarissa, these cars don’t come with a spare tyre, I found this out when I bought mine, but they are supposed to have a can of foam stuff that fills the puncture untill you can get it fixed.

Submitted: 2009-08-07 | ID: 46037

Frank C, Northumberland

Renault Megane 2004

No, they do not come with spare tyre, however you should have a tyre repair kit in the boot, under the boot liner.

Submitted: 2009-08-05 | ID: 46033

Paul, Middlesex

Renault Megane 2006

Hi! I have had the car for 15 months and so far had knocking when accelerating sensibly in first gear, local dealer states it could be engine mount, exhaust mount or a bearing. Had a leak on the drivers side which was a simple fix. The seal coming up from the wing mirror on windscreen support had worked loose slightly and was letting water in through to the inside. It was pushed back in place and no more leaks so far despite heavy rain the other day. The parcel shelf creaking as experienced by others is a problem due to it not being aligned properly, a problem on earlier cars. The retracting quarter panel has got caught twice in the roof mechanism causing it to snap. problems caused by the cables stretching / coming away from the mounting. Again a common problem which Renault UK have ageed to investigate under warranty. Overall not the best car I have owned but 11k for a 2yr old convertible; you are not going to get Mercedes build quality. In reply to Clarissa you haven’t been sold a dud car, a majority of manufacturers do not supply a spare tyre. Lexus have been doing this for years with their CC (sc430) along with the new shape mini to name a few.

Submitted: 2009-08-05 | ID: 46032

Chris Pierson, Dorset

Renault Megane 2009

Bought the Megane with my good lady partner, goes like a dream, starts well, economical, lovely in half leather and fabric, and only leaks water once in a while! All that I expected and wished for. And let me tell you, the cars not half bad either! All in all, if you buy a convertible, you’ll always get some water ingress in any make and model. Have to say, like many others, Renault Dealerships are a little unhelpful at times, but found Ford’s much worst in the past. We both love our cabrio, and each other!

Submitted: 2009-08-05 | ID: 46031

Andrew Payne, Merthyr Tydfil

Renault Megane 2008

I have had nothing but trouble with this pile of you know what. If there was a naught star rating that would be to high. Never, I repeat never by a French car, unless you are French or just don’t care about trouble free motoring. It was my wife’s fault, she liked the shape of the rear end "Shake your ass and all that". I have some good news though, the gold fish that live in the door well love it. I had 2 fish now I have 6. As you can guess I hate it. I can’t even go to a drive through because the drivers window does not work, and they do not leave you enough room to open your door. There are more problems than you can believe, and I do not wish to bore you. So I repeat; don’t by a Megane.

No way. I’ve got goldfish in my door panel too. Renault are rubbish. Let me explain what’s happening here! If you get two basic ingredients like, let’s say water and electricity, they don’t mix very well. The French dont know this yet but basically the water runs off the groove on the top of the door and has a drain that actually runs through the door thus mixing with the wires POP but look on the bright side the fish have somewhere to play? - from England

Submitted: 2009-08-03 | ID: 46268

Clarissa Clarke, England

Renault Megane 2005

Hi, could someone help me? I have had my car for a year now and yes, the door leaks sometimes but my main concern is that I previously had a blow out in my car once and the RAC came to change it he told me the cars do not come with spare tyres. I didn’t think any of it but then the same thing happened today, I got a puncture and was told all cars come with a spare tyre - do these cars come with a spare tire and have Renault sold me a very poor car or was the RAC man right in telling me they don’t come with spare tires??

I had this problem too, Renault do not put spare tyres in now, just a can of foam to put in the tyre to get you to a garage where you can purchase a spare tyre - Terry Jones from Rhondda Cynon Taff

I got a spare wheel for about £45 on Ebay. There is plenty of room to store it under the boot ’floor’ as well as all the daft little aerosols. It is not precisely the same as the other wheels but at least the car is driveable (as I discovered when I totally trashed my tyre by hitting a concrete block partly buried in gravel in a car park!) - Nicky Painter from Surrey

Submitted: 2009-07-27 | ID: 46256

Lisa McKay, Aberdeenshire

Renault Megane 2007

Update from last review. I had a water leak coming from the drivers window and back hinges on roof. Got it fixed 3 weeks ago where they replaced 2 door seals and a back window. Now I have leaks from both windows and the window they replaced doesn’t go up properly. I’ve got water marks all over the seats. I’ve also now got a cracking noise coming from the glass roof. This car is turning into a nightmare which is a shame as it’s a great car to drive and looks stunning.

In response to Lisa, we have had the creaking glass roof problem since we bought the car new in Sept 2007.The car has been to the dealers on 8 separate occasions, without curing the "cracking" noise. We have been told that it is NOT the glass roof panel, but more likely the catch not connecting properly. To date we have had 2 set of catches on drivers and passenger side, all new seals, and even a new roof, but still the problem persists, and the car is going in yet again next week. The car is fantastic other than this continual cracking noise, which can become like water torture after a very short time, anything over 5 miles!! - Nick Stevenson from Cheshire

Update: This car has now been into the garage being fixed 6 times now. The last time being this week where they have had it for a week. I put the car in complaining again of the water leak and a rattling window at the back. The car is also failing to start in the mornings if I keep it in the garage. I again have been advised that they can find no leak!!! Even though it leaks when I wash it. No fault with the rattling window and guess what.....its started first time so they didnt see a fault with the car starting. I only get 39 miles to £10 of petrol I know automatics can use up more petrol but that seems to me to be very gutsy - Lisa McKay from Aberdeenshire

Submitted: 2009-07-20 | ID: 46253

Bob Thomas, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Renault Megane 2009

Excellent car. Great performance/equipment including duel climate, cruise, speed limiter, auto lights/wipers, day running lights.

Submitted: 2009-07-20 | ID: 46304

Janey, Hampshire

Renault Megane 2007

Although I love my sexy black convertible, when the roof is up the creaking from the plastic parcel shelf area is horrendous - even with the radio on full blast the noise drives me mad. Has anyone else got this problem? Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Submitted: 2009-07-16 | ID: 46252

Martin White, Northumberland

Renault Megane 2006

My view on the conny is that it is nothing but trouble; the roof is leaking on both the passengers side and the drivers. The fab filter went and this cost £1,000. Then, one fuel injector went - this car is just c**_p. I will never buy a Renault convertible again.

Submitted: 2009-06-29 | ID: 46230

Samantha, England

Renault Megane 2006

I have to say I love my Renault cabriolet it has been a joy driving with the roof down and up! And it only takes 18-20 secs to collapse the roof and ample boot room - in my opinion I have test drove the Astra twin top and this beats it hands down. The boot is wobbly on the Astra and there is more room in the boot on the Renault up or down!! Economic too! I had the cream partial leather interior and what a difference it made the car felt light inside and airy especially with the glass roof which made driving an absolute pleasure. I’ve had it for 2 1/2 years and am sad to say that the car goes back to Renault in 3 months time the people that have found faults with their vehicle in my opinion must have had a bad car because I loved mine! I know this probably doesn’t help you as you may think you need to be lucky to get a good car from Renault but I think this happens with almost everything in life - not acceptable I know but hey though that’s life!!!!!! Good luck all!!!

Submitted: 2009-06-22 | ID: 46232

Tina Caldcleugh, Cheshire

Renault Megane 2005

Hi Sarah (Hampshire); an easy way to lock the Megane with the roof down is as follows: stop your car and take the card out, put the steering lock on then put your card back in. Don’t start the engine press start 5 times get out and lock the car as normal you should hear a high pitched bleep.

Submitted: 2009-06-18 | ID: 46231

Sarah, Hampshire

Renault Megane 2006

Well I’m glad I brought my car then looked at this site, as I would not have brought it! I am so glad I did though, I love it! It looks great with the roof up or down, seems like I’m one of the lucky ones though! The only problem I have is the alarm, I know it’s great to have an alarm but it can sometimes be a real pain! I pop to the shop and leave the car outside for a few minutes and obviously lock it, within seconds the alarm will go off mostly because of the wind or something! Does anyone know how I can maybe turn the sensitivity down, so I can lock it with the roof down and not worry about the constant alarm going off! Much appreciated.<p><strong>Jay from Sussex has sent in a reply to this review</strong><br />Sarah - You'll see a button with a padlock printed on it (it's the same size as the Start button) to the left of the hazard warning light switch; when you have switched off the engine, press and hold this button in for about ten seconds until you hear a "clunk" - this sets the immobiliser without the alarm. Get out of the car and just shut the door and walk away (I think you have about 15 seconds to do this); the car will be locked, secure but silent!

Submitted: 2009-06-17 | ID: 46233

Edward Michalicek, England

Renault Megane 2006

Hi everybody! I have my CC - my "Black Tomcat" almost 1 year as the second Megane in family (the first is the hatchback 2l 2007 - bought new) and I hadn’t any problem except hands free device. This car is enjoyable to drive, responsive, fun, economical and doesn’t have a leaking roof. The keyless card is fantastic. My friend has a Mercedes SLK -- I think it is some other category of car -- and... leaking roof! - without comment. I can recommend this car to buy as a excellent car for a good price. Good luck!

Submitted: 2009-06-11 | ID: 46234

Lisa McKay, Aberdeenshire

Renault Megane 2007

Bought this car a week ago. Read the reports on the site and asked the seller if she had experience any problems with a leaking roof to which she replied no. Went out to the car this morning to find that the passenger seat was wet with rain....gutted. Have called the Renault dealer and they can not get the car into the garage for another 2 weeks!! I hope its fixable as the car itself is a dream to drive although there are a lot of clunking noises coming from the doors of the vehicle. The roof was also squeaking today and the leak. I hope I am not going to be unfortunate and have a car that leaks all the time as staying in Scotland there can be lots of rain!!!

Submitted: 2009-06-08 | ID: 46235

Joao Madeira, Scotland

Renault Megane 2007

Hi everyone, I have now created a website to report in detail the problems with the water ingress in my Renault Megane Coupe Cabriolet. I will also be posting information which people considering to sue Renault or the dealer might find useful http://meganewaterleak.googlepages.com/

Submitted: 2009-06-03 | ID: 46236

Joao Madeira, Scotland

Renault Megane 2007

I’ve had this car for just over a year and the roof hasn’t stopped leaking. It’s a shame because apart from that it is a lovely car to look at and to drive. Anyway, I am in the process of initiating legal action against the dealer who sold me the car under the Sales of Goods Act, as the car is clearly not fit for purpose. I can see that there are a couple of people on this site who have initiated legal proceedings against Renault for the same reason and I would like to find out how you got on. Maybe we could share information and advice...

Submitted: 2009-05-27 | ID: 46243

Gary Mohsin, Northumberland

Renault Megane 2005

Same problem, hard to start first thing then OK for the rest of day. They changed fuel-filter & air filter - problem solved.

Submitted: 2009-05-21 | ID: 46305

Lynne Tyas, Middlesex

Renault Megane 2007

Can anybody who has had a clutch problem with a 2007 model of this car please let me know either on this site or on 07850 754459. As I have just had a 24000 service and the next day my car broke down. Renault are saying the clutch has burned out! My last Renault did 100k miles and never had the clutch replaced. Whilst I wouldn’t say I was a fantastic driver I have been driving for 25 years and had a variety of cars and never been heavy on the clutch. I had no warning of it going and it nearly caused a serious accident as I was changing gear in the fast lane!! Renault have agreed to pay 50% but I am still faced with a high bill and have no way of disputing the cause of the clutch burn out and information that can help my claim would be appreciated.

Probably too late for you now, but I have just been told by Hylton Renault in Cheltenham that the clutch judder on our March 08 Megane saloon is a design fault in the clutch disc lining, and that a new lining is ’in development’. We were told that until it is available, there is no point in replacing it. I’m investigating further, but at least I now have an official record of this so, as & when our clutch blows early, I’ll be looking for a straight, free replacement, even after the warranty runs out - Michael Taite from Worcestershire

I would like to here from Michael Taite from Worcestershire concerning the comments made by Hylton Renault in Cheltenham. Call Ian on 07748516730 - Ian Hudson from Yorkshire

I have a Renault Megane 2007 Convertible which has developed clutch judder - the car has only done 18000 miles. The garage say that Renault are aware there is a problem and that there is no point in replacing it until they have finished "developing" the new replacement. However, this doesn’t help as the car is still juddering. Does anyone else have any further information that will help us to get Renault to replace the clutch under the warranty? Reading the above post, it would appear that this "developing" they keep talking about is not going to happen too soon! Thank you My email address is obidashi@fsmail.net - from Lincolnshire

I bought a second hand Megane still under dealers warranty (Jan ’07, <25k on clock) and had a clutch judder, had to pay to have it replaced and that didn’t seem to do the trick as it’s returned!! Renault weren’t interested and said it was probably wear n’ tear. Numerous ongoing problems as well, including radio, air-con & electrics!!! - from Staffordshire

I am having the same problem - from England

Bought Renault Megane Privilege CC 11 months ago. Under warranty until Sept 2010. Has 34,000 mile on clock, of which I have done 10,000. Clutch has gone. Dealership say ’wear & tear’ so isn’t covered by Warranty, going to cost in excess of £1,000; they are checking with Renault as I type if they are going to cover the cost, I doubt it but will keep you posted. It’s a big job, which involves stripping down the engine, so labour will be high too. Went on Renault Forum and it would appear people with similar problem have been told it is a design fault and that they are working on a new clutch. I shall go to dealership armed with this information in the hope it helps. Anyone with similar problems please feel free to contact me 07776438204 - Linda Richardson from England

Hi Lynne, I wonder what happened about your clutch burn out? I have the same year and model of car. My clutch completely burnt out after only 23K miles. The fly-wheel was also completely destroyed. The bill was over £1.5 K and Renault have refused to pay ANYTHING - even though the car is still in Warranty. I am fighting them but would be grateful of any advice you can give. Thanks - Nicky Painter from Surrey (nicky.painter@virgin.net)

Submitted: 2009-05-19 | ID: 46244

Jay Mullaney, Leicestershire

Renault Megane 2007

Right, first things first. I must thank each and every one on here for their comments as without sharing info we would be non the wiser. NOW FOR THE SLATING OF RENAULT... This is the story... We rushed into buying this car as it was a sunny day and it was parked in a fantastic spot with roof down. We needed a new car and it looked fabulous. We sat in it, did the roof manoeuvre and bought it (oh no I hear you all say) - what a big mistake. On the day of collecting the car I pointed out what looked to me like a bald tyre but Renault of Leicester said "its just road legal" with the finance on this used car it set me back 12k - I wasn’t impressed that I needed to replace a tyre before I could drive it, a few words on it was changed. Next day, on starting car it grumbled at me and cut out; another press another grumble and cut out. Third time lucky it was running but we went through this on every cold start, to a point it rumbled enough to turn heads. On returning to dealer I was told I needed to pay £147 + VAT to get a diagnosis run on it?? Yes, on a car that I had owned for 2-3 days. I wasn’t allowed to speak to the mechanics to ask their advice and the warranty would only cover mechanical breakdown. It hadn’t broke down as it still drives when running. An old guy who looked like a cleaner followed me out of dealership slipped me a piece of paper with a number on it and the words dephaser pully written in bold (scary or what). I called the number to be greeted by "Hello Renault Goscote Services". I explained what was going on he took the car details and told me the car was waiting to be repaired out of warranty as it was yellow flagged - they sorted the dephaser problem, and fitted new timing belt etc. They also repaired a sticking drivers window, re-tracked the roof joining seal as this would cause a drip on passengers lap. Every time I come across a problem with my car I make the call and get the answers immediately. Their customer service deserve more than an award, they’re friendly, there helpful, and they are prepared to sort any problem.

I too have begun to suffer the ’grumbling’ sound when first starting up my Megane C. I took it to the local dealer who immediatly said it was the dephaser pulley. He also said to rectify it would need to remove the cam belt. My car’s only done 22,000 miles, Renault suggest replacing at around 70,000 miles. So the question is do they need to remove this belt in order to repair the dephaser pulley? Any help would be great on this one. They are quoting £650 including replacing the water pump - Alasdair Bruce from Kent

Submitted: 2009-05-18 | ID: 46241

Phil H, Warwickshire

Renault Megane 2005

Felt I have to write to somewhat offset all the negative comments being written as I have had my car for three months now and absolutely love it. I bought it as a 3 year old car, just out of warranty, for £6400 with 1 owner and 15k miles on it. We use it as a family car for 2 kids and 2 adults, it’s our only car so it gets lots of use including a 50 mile round trip to work everyday. I’ve done nearly 5000 miles in it already, with (touch wood) no problems so far, economy averages 47mpg which is excellent as I drive on the motorway err.... quite fast... ahem! Interior is very comfortable. Performance is excellent, very nippy with the 220lb ft of torque making most overtaking easy, I work for Jaguar R&D and rate this car highly against the current XF, the Meg CC has better seats and rides just as well. The roof gets pretty regular use and is great to use and very quick. Scuttle shake is evident on poor town roads when roof is down but otherwise its pretty good. NO LEAKS THOUGH AT ALL!! :0) The boot, when roof is up is HUGE, loads of space - had all sorts of stuff in ours including luggage for 4 people and two R&D workmates plus tools in there! Don’t ask why. I love some of the unusual features this car has such as the hidden door pockets and general amount of cubby holes - really clever, big cars should have these but never do for some reason. I’m a bit of a sucker for ’different’ cars having had Alfa’s, Citroen’s, Fiat’s and a Skoda Octavia VRS and this car fits that bill - my friends think I’m mad, but I love it. Didn’t know whether I would like it but I love it now which is a problem as I intended to sell it on in early summer so as not to make a loss but I will now be hanging on to it for at least a year I think. So in general if you want one go for it, I did and haven’t regretted it at all!

Submitted: 2009-05-18 | ID: 46240

Mandy, Lancashire

Renault Megane 2007

I bought my CC in 2007 and yes the roof did leak, however I took it back to Renault who referred me to the repairers in Lytham St Anne’s. They had it 4 times in as many weeks but, it hasn’t leaked in since. The repairers said that they also had the same problem with BMW & VW and several other drop top cars who’s roof was manufactured by Karman. It’s them who are to blame not Renault. Apart from that I love the car, I’ve been to the south of France in it and it was fantastic. My sister-in-law has the Focus CC and it’s not a patch for comfort, roof opening and acceleration; although mine is a 1.6 litre and hers a 2 litre. Mine is by far the more gutsy car. With the roof up the boot is huge and with it down I can still get in a few bags of shopping. I would definitely buy a newer version of this car.

Submitted: 2009-05-11 | ID: 46239

David Hamer, England

Renault Megane 2004

First the positives: Great looking car can’t agree with the comment re. grandparents driving positing. Firmish seats great torque for acceleration which you’d expect from the weight to power ratio and good brakes. Now the reasons why not to buy one (all appear to be common to the Dynamic: Minor: squealing brakes. intermittent fault with ECU keeps coming up with hand brake warning light. Major: 1) had 2 window regulators fail outside of 3 year warranty. Replaced 1 then on the 2nd failing at 4 years got in touch with Renault UK. Apparently this is a known issue and they have extended the warranty to 4 years on the window regulator but not published this so if you don’t know, you don’t know! Naughty! Needless to say, they didn’t offer any assistance with the 2nd window even though I’ve got the receipts for the first repair. 2) plastic on door handles is cracking. My local Renault franchise service manager says it’s a known problem. 3) Broken front coil spring at 40K miles. Apparently they can break much earlier. We were lucky??? My wife drives this car on A roads and motorway to work & back. The suspension get’s no work. 4) lights at front are virtually unserviceable at home. The owners manual recommend main dealer for changing light bulbs, at �100 a time. That’s in the region of �800 for changing light bulbs over say a 3 year period. That’s some ’cost of ownership’ model. Renault UK did provide some compensation towards this, but stated that it had been designed like this due to safety crumple zones at the front! TOSH! Driving without working lights at night is dangerous and an offence. If my wife has to find a Renault main dealer to change a light bulb on a weekend to be able to use the vehicle then in my book it’s not fit for purpose. I could go on but to say, if we hadn’t had the major issues I’d probably rate this car at 4.5 stars . It’s comfortable, sporty and economical. However, due to the major issues and lack of openness and helpfulness provided by Renault, I would have to say that I will never buy a Renault again and could never recommend this particular model as it’s major and expensive to fix faults/flaws.

Scary, I thought "Who’s been in my head? This has been my nightmare bulbs". Take notice, a very bad car - from England

Submitted: 2009-05-11 | ID: 46306

Mick Wilson, Yorkshire

Renault Megane 2006

The leaky roof comes standard. I have had all the seals replaced but to no avail!! However the most niggling problem is the alarm. It only goes off at night and for no apparent reason. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

I had this problem when I first had my CC... The way I get around it is when I stop the engine, I then press the start / stop button 5 times. You will know if you have done it right as the dash will come back on and the stereo; close door and press lock and the lights will flash with no sound. You have isolated the interior sensors which cured it for me - Jason S from Rhondda Cynon Taff

Submitted: 2009-05-08 | ID: 46237

Alison Hayes-Smith, Yorkshire

Renault Megane 2004

Can I firstly say there are a lot of reviews on here that I read in great detail and nearly changed my mind about buying the Megane CC. Anyone who is reading these reviews, because they are thinking of buying a Megane, just remember there have been a lot more cars bought than the ones mentioned here. Most people only seem to post reviews because they want to complain about the faults. I have poured water from a bucket over the roof while washing the car and guess what - no leaks, drives like a dream, top converts with ease, driven at speed - no shattering glass, no rattles, or squeaks, it is a pleasure to drive and loving every minute of it. If your considering buying then go for it - don’t be put off and if you do end up with a car that leaks or has any of the faults mentioned in these reviews then I guess you are an extremely unlucky person and will be joining the minority - what ever your dream is go for it.

Submitted: 2009-05-05 | ID: 46224

Malcolm Brown, Cheshire

Renault Megane 2007

I don’t know if I’m lucky but I can say hand on heart that my Renault Megane CC 2.0 Privilege Turbo, Reg 2007 is the best car I have ever purchased. No leaks, no engine problems, no nothing apart from a from an headlight bulb blowing a couple of weeks ago. This is my second CC. It appears reading previous comments that customer services at certain garages throughout the UK need to get there act together or potential buyers of Renault will start looking elsewhere.

Submitted: 2009-05-01 | ID: 46223

Bill C, Norfolk

Renault Megane 2008

Yes, the alarm does work with the top down, try it yourself. Lock the doors & leave the key in the house. Now try getting something out of the door pocket or centre pocket. Would you really like to leave your car with the top down somewhere you might need it to work though? I think that any vandalism probably won’t be covered. I always put the top back up when I leave it unless it is on the drive. p.s. my roof has never leaked :o)

Submitted: 2009-04-20 | ID: 46222

Andrew Lynes, Cheshire

Renault Megane 2007

I bought the car in January and it has been great especially the MPG. I have had a few minor problem; I have a water leak which Renault tested and said could not trace, but surprise, it rained the evening after I picked up the car and I got a wet arm when sitting in the car and driving off. I also like to listen to 5-live, but the background noise is very poor and unacceptable. Renault tested the radio and said it is a common fault and they supposedly tried another radio in the car and it was still the same. Does anyone else have this problem? Also, if a radio is in fact taken out doesn’t it loose the programmed stations? I cannot see anywhere in the manual where you can alarm the car and keep the roof down. Is this possible or is the alarm just a volumetric alarm?

Submitted: 2009-04-08 | ID: 46225

Jack Georgiou, England

Renault Megane 2006

Three clutches in less than a year and lesss than 3000 miles and Renault still can’t solve the juddering problem. They say it is down to poor driving technique!!! what a load of bull.

We have a Renault Dynamique Sport Tourer, 2007 reg, purchased from a Renault dealer via "Renault to go" in 2008. We have had a clutch judder since purchasing the vehicle from Renault’s dealer in Norwich. The car is still under warranty (until April 2010), but Renault UK have refused to replace the clutch to date and will do nothing to help us. The judder has become so bad now when the clutch is warm, that it is now unsafe to pull out at junctions or roundabouts and I am having a baby in the car, this is really frightening me. I’ve had two near misses and am just waiting for that serious accident to happen, either to me, or to someone else. We are currently threatening Renault UK with legal action (we don’t know what else to do!), unless they try a replacement clutch in the vehicle, or indeed fix the problem they have created. Renault UK have confirmed that clutch judder is a manufacturing defect, due to the materials they use within their clutches. When the clutch becomes hot, the materials used cannot grip due to lack of moisture, which causes the clutch to slip, resulting in the judder. Apparently Renault used to use asbestos in their older clutches, which worked very well, but are no longer allowed to do so, under modern legislation. Renault are apparently working on a solution but will not confirm when this will be sorted and will not replace the clutch in view of this! In the meantime, everyone with a dangerous vehicle is left still driving on the road with no other option. I’m just waiting for the accident to happen. Then, if me and my baby boy are still here, I shall be suing them big time! - from England

New clutch on my beautiful car at 18,000 miles "Driver error" they said. I wish I had looked at this site last year - Niki Swanborough from London

Hi Jack, my husband bought me a 2004 Renault Megane Cabriolet four months ago. I have started to get the same problem as you!!!! The juddering is driving me mental. Did you get yours sorted???? - Anna Rostron from England

Submitted: 2009-04-07 | ID: 46226

Maureen, London

Renault Megane 2006

I have been madly and deeply in love with this car but, from the above comments, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone of you for them. I thought my boyfriend just didn’t want me to purchase the car but I can now see what he meant. I’m off to Volkswagen.

Submitted: 2009-03-31 | ID: 46215

Ruth Sherman, England

Renault Megane 2007

Well, I had no idea how common a leaking roof was until I stumbled upon this website! I have had my CC for over a year and it has only just started leaking and now both my front seats are completely stained. I booked the car in to have the work done under guarantee and was told I had to wait 4 weeks for a courtesy car to be available for 4 days whilst they carried out the work. During the 4 weeks its snowed, OMG, I had to drive my car home with the drivers seat literally dripping wet, it took 5 days for it to dry out again. After this happened I contacted Renault to see if they could fit me in sooner as I was getting a little wet and they told me I should keep the car in a garage at all times! How is this possible when I bought a car to drive not to keep in a garage! 4 weeks passed (few wet bottoms) and I take the car into the garage - IT WASN’T EVEN BOOKED IN!! I was not happy at all, a courtesy car was booked out for me but was not there so they have given me a Fiat 500. I’m not the smallest of people and find it really awkward to drive. I was told they had no other cars available at all even though I had to wait 4 weeks for one to be available that wasn’t there anyway!!! My mum has had a soft top for 8 years and has not once had a leak! I think its outrageous they are aware of the problems with the cc but still treat us like this!

Submitted: 2009-03-30 | ID: 46214

Sandra Curston, Norfolk

Renault Megane 2006

Just to follow up on my leaking roof, it rained all day today, very heavy (no leaks). Also, I have looked very closely at the seals and they seem to have been replaced, the seal has a much larger draining hole running through the middle, to let more water through, my be a new design.

Submitted: 2009-03-25 | ID: 46213

Sandra Curston, Norfolk

Renault Megane 2006

Roof leaking in all 4 corners, taken to Holden of Norwich, the Renault main dealer, very friendly staff, seem to know all about leaking roof and how to fix them. It seem the seals on the roof needs to be sealed themselves, this means removing the roof, remove seals and put back on using a type of seal (mastic type stuff). Don’t quite know what that means, it did leak when using a hose pipe, and when it rained, seems to be fine now with a hose, just waiting for it to rain. enjoy your car and don’t let it take over your life, I have had a mgf and an mgtf both leaked but what the hell, life’s too short, buy yourself a set of water proof seat covers. Would I buy another one? Yes.

Submitted: 2009-03-19 | ID: 46217

Patrick Nulty, Cambridgeshire

Renault Megane 2009

After buying a Renault Coupe Cabriolet I read all these reports and went outside with some water... and yes mine leaks too. I’m with you all but the car is damn sexy lol. Oh, and I had call some one out, the fuel cap had jammed. All on my first day... wonderful.

Submitted: 2009-03-19 | ID: 46218

Ian Wilson-Hart, Staffordshire

Renault Megane 2006

Great car for the money if you buy second hand. Picked up a 56 plate 2.0 Privilege in grey with full leather and fully kitted out with only 5000 miles on the clock for under nine grand. I’ve looked at the competition, and to all the whingers out there, the competition has its fair share of problems too. Was going to buy an EOS, but found that it had a leaking roof on the test drive and it didn’t feel any different behind the wheel. Not had any real problems at all and glad I got it. Oh yes, to those people posting about howling brakes on their CC’s. Its not just these cars that suffer. The regular Megane suffers too. I had a 53 plate Megane hatch that did it. Just learned to ignore it. Like I suggest people do with some of the reports here. Just ignore them and go out and buy.

Submitted: 2009-03-19 | ID: 46219

Vicki, Warwickshire

Renault Megane 2004

I have just had some work done on my car - needed new coil and spark plugs. Yesterday, the message Roof Mechanism Fault came up on the display and I wondered if anyone could offer advice? The roof still goes up and down, I have checked manual but it is of no help. I have my car for nearly a year and up until now I have had no trouble at all with it. Also, the back drivers side window does not go down with the rest of them when the roof starts going down. Help!!

I’ve noticed that it says this if you catch the button to put the roof down and the guard isn’t pulled across in the boot - from England

Submitted: 2009-03-16 | ID: 46220

William Cunningham, London

Renault Megane 2005

I’ve had the car since October last year and had no problems so far. Let’s hope it stays that way. It’s a real eye-catcher with roof up or down.

Submitted: 2009-03-13 | ID: 46216

Shirley McBrinn, Lothians

Renault Megane 2008

Following reporting my glass roof imploding while stationery on my driveway to Renault Customer Services they have refused my warranty claim. The only comment they would make is that they have never heard of this type of fault previously. I find this hard to believe given the amount of coverage on various websites relating to similar issues. They have not given me anything in writing or suggested any valid technical reason for this incident. The quotation for the repair is in excess of £3k and the dealer Arnold Clark Renault in Stirling have not sent me a copy of the detailed quotation despite several requests. As someone who has been a loyal Renault customer over the years I am appalled.

Submitted: 2009-03-03 | ID: 46193

Darren Livesey, Lancashire

Renault Megane 2005

Just read a few more reviews on here. No one seems to explain how much water is coming in through the roofs or where it is coming in. Main dealers, whatever the manufacturer, are notorious at seeing us all as a licence to print money. Especially those out of warranty. My wife has an Audi TT Roadster 3.2 and its roof started leaking, they told me it would cost £600-900. I researched on the net, it took me 15 minutes to fix a blocked drain hole and nothing else. Information is power but only when you pool knowledge. Surely some one must know what is the cause of this re-occurring problem! If you do then you need to post it on here it will help all these other drivers. My roof has never leaked. I sometimes after very heavy rain get a couple of drops on my lap after opening and then closing the door but then ALL roadsters /cabriolets do this, I have had many over the years.

Submitted: 2009-03-02 | ID: 46194

Mandy Tilley, England

Renault Megane 2005

I have been in and out of Liverpool Renault in Sefton Street. Last time I took my car I had a leaking roof and water coming in through the mirrors. I left the car for 6 hours so they did a good check on it... and guess what they hadn’t looked at it. The car was in the same bay 49 and the lies they told me . MAY I SAY I WOULD BE HAPPY FOR THEM TO GO BUST. I WOULDN’T SET FOOT IN RENAULT GARAGE AGAIN IF YOU GAVE ME A FREE CAR! Ps That’s what I think of the French c**p.

Submitted: 2009-02-26 | ID: 46195

Abi Campbell, Warwickshire

Renault Megane 2005

Hi all Megane Coupe Cabrio owners and thanks for all your warnings! I was about to part exchange my beloved 1.0 12v 2004 Corsa for a 2005 1.6 Megane. Thank the gods I found this site! I haven’t the time, money or energy for all these hassles, leaking roofs, imploding sunroofs, 2lb bits of plastic and metal flying off and injuring people...nah!! I’m looking at a 2005 Peugeot Coupe Cabrio. I’ve tried the 2005 Peugeot Coupe Cabrio; it was just too small and expensive for what I need. Thanks for all the warnings, Top gear, Fifth Gear et all never warn about these kind of problems. Good luck all!

So you didn’t actually buy one and try it then? - Harry Wright from England

Submitted: 2009-02-25 | ID: 46197

Michelle Sutherland, West Lothian (Linlithgowshire)

Renault Megane 2006

Last submitted to this site on 18/04/08. Since the garage smashed my roof whilst the car was in their care for water ingress, they tried to get me to pay £2,500 for a new roof and 8 hours labour to fit. Phoned Renault UK and eventually the garage footed the bill. Whilst fitting the new roof they damaged nearly every panel on my car. Went to pick car up and was shocked at the condition of it. If that was not bad enough my car had water on the seats. When I questioned the garage on this they then saw fit to inform me that the valeter had run my car through an industrial car wash! I refused to accept my car. Back on phone again to Renault UK. After 3 months I eventually got my car back and guess what? it was still leaking and the paint job to fix the damage to the panels was terrible over spray bubbles, paint brush marks and matt paint on a metallic car! I got in touch with Renault UK again and they sent up a "technical expert" who has fixed my roof (this remains to be seen as it has not rained since I got the car back). The technical expert has told them I got a good paint job. 1 - THE EXPERT MUST HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HIS VISION! Renault UK have now washed their hands of me. That’s nice considering I have been a renault customer for near on 20 years. I have an expert coming to my home at the cost of around £175 to give me a report on my car. I will then be taking legal action against the Renault garage in Sighthill Edinburgh and Renault UK. What I find most annoying is that I did not damage the car in the first instance, it was the garage but yet they expect me to drive around in a 2 tone car with the worst patch up job I have seen. Will keep you posted as to how I get on.

Submitted: 2009-02-24 | ID: 46199

Shirley McBrinn, Scotland

Renault Megane 2008

I purchased the car in June 2008 and was enjoying it until recently, especially driving with the top down. The roof wasn’t leaking at all. However, now the car has developed a judder when you start up at junctions and did not handle well in the recent cold spell when compared to my previous car (Renault Laguna). The rear parking sensors have stopped working. The worst though is that last week the glass roof imploded falling on my head when I shut the door of the car. The roof had not been hit by anything and there was no other damage to the car bodywork, front or back windscreens to suggest it had. It is currently with the dealer and I am waiting on a response from Renault Customer Services. This is my fourth Renault car and it is the first time I have had reason to complain.

Submitted: 2009-02-23 | ID: 46196

Kerry, Cheshire

Renault Megane 2006

Emma - any update on how you got on with the Renault dealer regarding the judder? I think mine is getting worse!

Submitted: 2009-02-13 | ID: 46200

Paul Tilley, England

Renault Megane 2006

I bought this car from Renault - enough is enough - roof leaks, mirrors leak, car judders when roof is down and guess what? Renault said that all Renault cars judder! I WOULDN’T BUY A RENAULT CAR AGAIN!

Submitted: 2009-02-06 | ID: 46202

Emma Andrews, England

Renault Megane 2006

I have exactly the same problem as Kerry from Cheshire I also have the leak. I’ve been driving for over 20 years and started to think I needed a refresher until I read Kerry had the same problem - I’m on the phone to my dealership now. Will let you know how I get on.

Submitted: 2009-02-05 | ID: 46201

Suzanne Howey, Berkshire

Renault Megane 2007

I’d be very intrested to hear how Kim Dickenson, Cheshire gets on with the legal side. I also have a leaking roof and the seat is stained from all the water. Renault are saying that it’s a design fault and I might just have to put up with it unless Renault head office come up with a fix. I’ve also been told not to park it on a hill and to make sure that it is parked flat which is impossible to do all the time.

Submitted: 2009-02-02 | ID: 46211

Jamie Munn, Pembrokeshire

Renault Megane 2003

I have now owned this car for 3 years and it is fair to say it has been a nightmare. For the past 18 months I have had the service light on constantly and "Check Injection" on the screen. Every morning I have the hassle of getting it started, which takes me around 5 or 6 attempts. Once started I then have to battle my way through a massive cloud of black smoke which comes out of the back. Once the car is warm the car starts no problem but when it is cold and been left standing for a couple of hours it is a pain. I have taken it to my local garage and to Renault main dealer; both of which cannot seem to come up with a proper solution (Renault told me it would be my computer which would cost £1500 but I just don’t believe them). After being told by friends and relatives it could be the glow plugs I took it to my local garage and had them changed. The service light and injection reading disappeared and the car started on the button first time in the morning. Then a day later the service light reappeared and the check injection back. I am now fed up of the embarrassment of starting it in the car park at work at the end of the day with everyone staring at the black smoke so I am writing to warn people - DON’T BUY A RENAULT!!!!!

Submitted: 2009-01-28 | ID: 46308

Rob Woodcock, Staffordshire

Renault Megane 2005

I bought this car in July 2008 and have had nothing but problems with the vehicle. It does nothing but leak, has been in the garage more than 8 times and still comes back with the same fault. Holdcroft Renault advised that this is not a common fault but from the comments it is. They say not to park on hills etc... it’s a car for got sake, not only that why do they not tell you all this information before you buy. This is still an ongoing problem. Holdcroft Renault then offered me a like for like swap, which I accepted and guess what this one also leaks but worse, they are saying they will not swap for another vehicle and they have to repair it. I took the car for repair in December 2008 which they said I would have to have a courtesy car for 1 week - which cost me a further £25 on insurance to swap it over. I still have the courtesy car today as they have told me that they have repaired the vehicle then did another water test and again it still leaks. The customer service is also disgusting, I’d rather drive an old mini than a coupe cab. IF ANYONE GOES TO RENAULT AFTER THESE REPORTS YOU MUST LOVE HASSLE !!!!!!!!

Submitted: 2009-01-22 | ID: 46212

Darren Livesey, Lancashire

Renault Megane 2005

Ordered this car new from Sunwins with every extra. The car is enjoyable to drive, responsive, fun, economical and doesn’t have a leaking roof. Love the keyless card. About to get my third set of front tyres at 35,000 miles! I find this car really practical with a huge 600 litre boot. The paintwork is gold metallic and looks fabulous with the hood down. Residual values are very poor but if your happy who cares.

Submitted: 2009-01-16 | ID: 46209

Nick Evans, England

Renault Megane 2007

Me too. You’re not on your own, we have the dreaded shudder too! The only way to pull away smoothly is to add lots of revs.

I purchased my brand new vehicle in March 07. Not long that after it starting juddering when in 1st and 2nd gear, particularly in heavy, slow moving traffic. This got gradually worse. Renault told me I had burnt the clutch out due to heavy useage (at 14,500 miles). I had this replaced and had a couple of months trouble free driving, then the juddering started again exactly as before. As it was only 5 months since I had my new clutch fitted I return to Renault fully expecting it to be repaired under warranty. No chance! I was told it was again down to heavy useage. I won’t even go into the problems I had trying to get them to at least contribute towards the costs which incidentally came to, in excess of £750. To date the car is 2 1/2 years old and has just touched 17,000 miles! I will never buy another Renault! - from Lancashire

Submitted: 2009-01-16 | ID: 46207

Gary, Berkshire

Renault Megane 2005

Lovely car and great drive although it has had its share of problems. It started off with the boot gas struts failing which meant the boot would not stay open. Not ideal as my wife uses the car and as a mobile hairdresser, she is in and out of the boot all day. 2nd problem was the keyless entry failed. This was sorted very quickly although we did have to pay insurance surcharge for courtesy car. 3rd problem which has happened 3 times is a ’check injection’ fault. This is to do with a failed glow plug. When the car warms up, the fault clears if you turn the engine off and restart. Renault have fixed it twice but only replaced the faulty glow plug each time instead of the set of 4 which most good garages would insist on. This was probably because it was under warranty. The fault has come back again this winter, and I’m sure if I took it to Renault now, they would happily advise me to change the complete set as I would be paying for it this time. 4th problem was a headlight bulb failure. Renault have cleverly designed the car so you need to remove front bumper to change the bulb so they can charge you 2 hours labour. I manage to do it (with difficulty) by putting the car on full lock and accessing bulb through removable panel in wheel arch. The car now has 63K miles and I have enjoyed everyone of them but due to the amount of problems I probably wouldn’t buy Renault again.

Gary when your cardkey went what did you do? Only my remote will not lock. Have checked batteries etc, taken it to a garage that said it was not the remote but something wrong, maybe computer. Renault want to charge £95.00 just to tell me what it is, any help would be gratefully recieved - Kay Vines from Middlesex

Submitted: 2009-01-13 | ID: 46205

Kerry, Cheshire

Renault Megane 2006

I have a Megane CC (1.6) and I have developed an intermittent fault in 1st gear. Basically when the engine is warm (has been in traffic) I start to experience a shudder when I pull away from stationary in 1st gear. To be honest it is as if I cannot find the biting point for the gear, but I have had the car for nearly 3 years now and I know where the biting point is and it only happens when the engine is warm! Does anyone have any ideas what this could be (or experienced a similar problem)? My warranty expires in April and I want it to be sorted by then (but Renault say they cannot identify the fault when it has been into the garage - but they admit this could be because the engine is cold). Thanks.

Submitted: 2009-01-13 | ID: 46204

David Stringer, Yorkshire

Renault Megane 2005

Hi, I would like to thank Jon Stevens from Nottinghamshire. I had the same problem with starting with clutch and start button. I have had a look around clutch pedal and have noticed a wire has broken off . So I am going to put wire back in place.

Submitted: 2009-01-12 | ID: 46203

Elizabeth Russell, Scotland

Renault Megane 2006

Have leased this car for 3 years, luckily I can hand it back in 2009 - thank god I didn’t buy it. This car has been an absolute nightmare, has been in the garage more times that I can count. Roof continues to leak even though I have been assured on at least 3 occasions that this fault has been rectified. Water was leaking in from driver’s side but after roof was realigned it is now leaking in from passenger side. Was told by Renault that if car was parked on a slope when water leaking, that this is then not a manufacturing fault. I then asked what about when driving round corners and when water comes in, got no reply to this question!! Inside door handles have had to be replaced due to chipping, carpet in footwell has been glued down on at least 4 occasions, alarm keeps going off when raining, gear stick numbers have worn off. Was advised not to wear rings, I would never recommend this car to anyone and am only glad that I can hand it back.

Submitted: 2008-12-30 | ID: 46210

Tony Merlin, England

Renault Megane 2005

Its a renault - what do you expect?

Submitted: 2008-12-23 | ID: 46146

Glyn Jackson, Essex

Renault Megane 2008

Bought new March 08. It sits outside in all weathers and gets cleaned in a car wash (occasionally). No leaks, in fact no problems of any sort, now on 16400 miles. Regularly gets 47-53 mpg. Complaints - none. Wish list - that the back seats folded down.

Submitted: 2008-12-08 | ID: 46148

Julie Harvey, England

Renault Megane 2006

The Renault Megane CC is a beautiful car to look at with its sleek lines, but is it really a car for the UK? So far mine has been in the garage 18 times for various faults and is due back in again next week! Yes, it drives beautifully but is very high maintenance. Headspace is limited, although seat height can be adjusted to suit. Great centre console/armrest for storing your SatNav or CD’s. The automatic features like headlights and windscreen wipers can be a bit hit and miss so DON’T rely on them! Contrary to popular opinion you don’t need a wind deflector when the roof is down in this car. If I had a chance to buy this car again I would probably pass and go for a better quality model like an Audi.

Submitted: 2008-12-08 | ID: 46147

Sue, Dorset

Renault Megane 2007

I did not realise this site existed until I searched for Megane CC faults this morning as I had been given the impression that I was the only owner who was having a problem with water leaks. I bought my first Megane CC in November 2005, had black leather seats and bluetooth installed. By January 2006 the front passenger seat was stained due to water leaks. Over the following 2 years the car spent 21 weeks in the garage with Renault specialists looking at it regularly. The garage did not charge me for a courtesy car but my insurance got a bit fed up with me adding another car and started to charge me, it was also usually a maximum of 1.4 petrol where I was used to driving a 1.9 diesel. In the end I requested a hire car of equivalent power which was usually a Peugeot 407 but on 2 occasions during the summer months I was given a Megane CC. I was in constant contact with Renault UK Customer Services and in February this year they offered to change the car. The first offer was I pay £6000 towards a new one! In May I took delivery of a September 07 registered Renault to GO car which had 12k mile on the clock, no leather seats but they did install Bluetooth for me. I considered this a good deal as my other car by that time had 36k miles on the clock and only 6 months left on the warranty. The car also seemed jinxed as I had had 5 punctures, with no spare tyre, a new front screen and the first accident I have ever had in 35 years of driving, I aquaplaned and collided with a lamp post in an almost empty car park. I have been happy with the new car and have even stopped looking for the water to flow or drip in as I pull away. This weekend we have had high winds and heavy rain and as I pulled the car out of the drive the water flowed in onto the front passenger seat. I am off to Renault today. On the leather seats you just wiped the water away but with the fabric the water soaks into the seat so my passenger is going to get a wet derrieres. With the exception of the leak which becomes very frustrating and time wasting having to keep going back to the garage to complain, although they do collect and deliver it when it goes in for work, I love the car. It is great to drive and very economical and providing it is dry and above 6 I have the roof down.

Submitted: 2008-11-03 | ID: 46149

Stephanie S, Yorkshire

Renault Megane 2006

This is the worst new car we could have bought. We bought the car new in 2006 and have had absolutely nothing but problems with it. From the surprise of no spare wheel and being stuck at the roadside for a day, the inflating tyre cans did not work either. Oh, the roof leaks too and the more the garage looks at it the worse it gets. Within weeks it was back at the dealers with a problem that virtually takes all the power from the engine. Something to do with an emissions filter. It’s impossible to clear this yourself, Renault’s recommendations for this are that you drive around 500 miles at more than 50 miles an hour to heat it up sufficiently in order to clear it out . Apparently, Renault say themselves that we were mis-sold the car by their main dealers and our leasing company , the Bank of Scotland. They say it would be better with a sales rep. I think even they would find it impossible to own. Anyhow, the main dealer every now and then will agree to regenerate this filter to sort it out but the problem is only solved for weeks before the light comes back on. They even have to get permission from Renault to do this and say it can be done only a certain number of times. To top this they say that the clutch replacement and dual mass fly wheel needed is not under the 3 year warranty and is wear and tear cost £2,500. Whilst we have independent engineer evidence that this is caused by these engine problems, what with the difficulty getting up hills, changing gear, and engine malfunction in the blasted thing, you only get ridicule and insults and denials from the people at Renault on this and we fully intend to issue a county court summons against them very soon. Never buy a Renault, just horrible people to deal with.!!!!!!! We are considering preparing a web site displaying all the problems we have had with this car.

Submitted: 2008-10-20 | ID: 46135

Colin Foster, Buckinghamshire

Renault Megane 2004

First venture into Renault. Love the car. Roof leaked on drivers side when first bought but on contacting Renault was advised to park facing downhill! (I was parked facing uphill on my drive.) Guess what? No leak since!! As the yanks say, ’Go figure’. Petrol is a little slow in 1600 format but it is quite a heavy car so would imagine 2000 would be much better. Rear n/s passenger window packed up via individual switch but works on ’all window’ switch. Not sure whether I would but another one. It’s a Renault after all. Always had Toyota so I’ve been spoilt with reliability!

I have exactly the same problem. My car leaks on both sides through the top of the window seals, there’s a thick teatowel constantly left on my drivers side seat every night and replaced when it rains. My driver’s side rear window has also packed in but works when you put all four windows down, it’s a nightmare (especially when we get so much rain). I’m not sure what to do about it, because in every review on here the dealers seem to be of no help whatsoever!!! Does any one have any contact numbers in order to sort this leaking problem out please? North Wales Denbighshire area. Thanks - from Denbighshire

Submitted: 2008-10-15 | ID: 46136

Kim Dickenson, Cheshire

Renault Megane 2008

Purchased new - noticed pools of water on front passenger seat first time it rained. Vehicle returned to dealership for repair. Front leak fixed but vehicle came back with two leaks to the rear. After eight visits to the dealership to repair the problem Renault have decided that it is a tolerance that cannot be fixed and I will have to put up with a leaking roof. I am now seeking legal advice as I am not prepared to be tolerant and accept this decision.

Submitted: 2008-10-07 | ID: 46134

Kay Webb, Bedfordshire

Renault Megane 2005

Purchased this car in July absolutely lovely, champagne colour. Roof is panoramic and draws looks no end when down. Have developed horrendous squeel when reverse brake engaged. Any idea why? Garage says dust but is really annoying. Any tips would be grateful.

Submitted: 2008-09-17 | ID: 46138

Renault Just Fine, Norfolk

Renault Megane 2006

This car is just great - 55+mpg, roof up and down in seconds. OK so what about roof leaks you ask? A drip or two following torrential rain as you set off in the morning - but nothing else. It’s a cabriolet; I think even the best and most expensive German ones could be given that. Totally recommended and a real tax beating bargain too.

Submitted: 2008-09-08 | ID: 46142

Gerald Kinsela, County Londonderry

Renault Megane 2007

I’ve had my new CC since early July. So far, I’m extremely happy with it - the only thing that’s putting a downer is the weather. As for the spec, I currently have the Privilege edition. Features include the following: Electric folding mirrors Auto dimming rear view mirror Lumbar support on both front seats Upgraded brakes (Think they take the Scenic ones) Xenon Headlights Cream / Beige leather interior Remote Keyless Entry / Start 6CD Changer and Standard CD Player Automatic (!!! essential for this type of car!) Automatic wipers Cruise Control / Speed limiter Fog lights etc etc, the list goes on!!!! Standard radio lacks mp3 cd support (come on Renault, it’s 2007 model!!) Overall, extremely pleased about it. Regarding the leaking roofs guys, I suggest you look at the other cars in the cabriolet section. EOS’s, MX5’s, A4’s etc ALL LEAK. It’s not just the frenchies! :)

Submitted: 2008-09-04 | ID: 46141

Mike Boyce, Gloucestershire

Renault Megane 2005

I bought the car as a Renault to go car at around 13000miles, and it has done 48000 now. The car came with a glass roof, rain sensor, closing wing mirrors and remote key as added extras. So was well kitted. I was concerned about electrical problems I had read about, but I have not experienced these. Other than servicing which is 24months or 18000miles I have no problems with the car. I needed new front Discs and pads at its last service at around 46000miles, but am told this is normal, and the first set of tyres lasted to around 28000miles. The car does everything I need, and it can hold a remarkable amount as an estate, and drives in comfort, and gives a secure feel to the drive. It drives swiftly enough for my needs and can cruise at high speed if I wanted. It has good acceleration, and the 130 is even better. It gives me about 48MPG average. Reasonable on road tax, and insurance, and it has a high crash protection kite mark which is important to me and also has a quiet ride. The main downside for me is that the rear seats do not completely fold down, and if I need to has a totally flat load bay, then the seat section needs to be removed, and this is an awkward activity. This is the first car I have bought for some considerable years, as during them I run company cars, ranging across Citroen, Peugeot, but the last cars were a Volkswagen Passatt Estate and Audi A4 Avant. Surprisingly this Renault delivers equally if not better in a number of areas for a much less price. Recommended.

Submitted: 2008-09-03 | ID: 46139

Janet Crombie, Lanarkshire

Renault Megane 2006

I like the colour Quartz Gold, looks good with roof down or closed. However lots of bad luck and problems since buying June 2006. I have replaced 2 wiper motors, new windscreen due to bad chipping. Done 28000 miles now and clutch has gone. I have 3 year warranty and yes it won’t cover new clutch - I was told wear and tear and must pay £567 to my Renault Dealer. Also replaced 4 tyres - £400. Windscreen needs replacing again - another big stone hit it. Dent to rear left side someone in a car park hit my car and drove off, slight damage, thanks to that dishonest person, hope it happens to them. My niece also reversed into back of vehicle slight damage scratches £340 to respray bumper. Lucky White Heather eh? I will be changing to BMW, more reliable and better quality and hopefully luckier.

Submitted: 2008-09-01 | ID: 46140

A Davies, Carmarthenshire

Renault Megane 2008

Very comfortable ride, fuel average return is 48mpg to date. Renault engineers need to provide more legroom for rear seat passengers and the gearbox needs the engineering of Fords’ gearbox for slick changes. It would then be a good class leader.

Submitted: 2008-08-21 | ID: 46320

Nigel, Hampshire

Renault Megane 2008

My first new car for 8 years and very pleased so far except for having NO SPARE WHEEL. Dealer says the two "emergency" spray cans in the boot will reflate a punctured tyre to get you to the nearest garage. What happens if you’re on a motorway miles from anywhere? Asked for a quote for a spare wheel but no response so far. Not good enough, Renault, you are spoiling the ship for a ha’porth of tar!

Test - from Devon

Submitted: 2008-08-11 | ID: 46144

Roderick Pool, Dumfriesshire

Renault Megane 2007

Well just to give an update. These notes were left in the car which says this publication is confidential for use by Renault franchise network. So going by what is on the notes Renault have known that they have a fault with some of there cars. RENAULT UK TYPE: MEGANE 11 COUPE CABRIOLET WATER INGRESS FROM A PILLAR SEAL. Anyway, it gives details of how to repair the problem with the leaking roof which involves the seal not bonding to the mastic strips due to the excessive depth of the flange. Anyway, it also notes that the working area MUST be protected against metal debris during adjustment. Low and behold - I go and pick my car up with metal filings all over the interior of the car the seats and doors all covered in grease and my passenger door paintwork damaged. Absolutely livid and am now waiting on them putting that right.

Submitted: 2008-08-11 | ID: 46143

Mike Beddard, Cheshire

Renault Megane 2007

I love my Black CC to bits! But it has been in several times now for a leaking roof over the passenger seat. The RENAULT Dealer told me that they have measured the distance between windscreen and top roof section whilst roof is open and it falls short of standard??? So it needs a complete new roof fitting. And wait for it... I must take it in to an approved dealer in Stockport to have it done and hire a courtesy car? The car was bought from new so will be onto trading standards pronto...

Submitted: 2008-07-21 | ID: 46171

Roderick Pool, Dumfriesshire

Renault Megane 2007

Just bought a 57 plate registered in October 07, 6 miles on the clock and guess what.... a leaking roof. I was not to happy so went back to dealer and they wanted to charge me £11 per day for a courtesy car while waiting to get it fixed. It is a 1.9 diesel and if it was not for the roof I would be happy. I also did not get a spare wheel with the car which I find strange (anybody else get a spare?). It is pretty quiet for a diesel and run is smooth.

Submitted: 2008-07-11 | ID: 46170

Pete Longthorn, England

Renault Megane 2007

I’m really impressed with this car. It’s pitched at the mid-market ’family car’ end of which there is loads of choice, but I think it feels a notch above. I have had Saabs previously but frankly I prefer this at 60% of the cost! It’s a 130hp diesel and goes ***** well! Overtaking is really brisk for a 1.9 litre and it cruises at about 2,500 rpm/80mph which keeps the fuel bills down nicely. The suspension is nicely set up where you don’t dread the potholes, and it sticks to the road fine. It’s got all the toys you need except Climate Control but the manual a/c is fine really. Oddly I miss the rain sensitive wipers my previous Primera had but it doesn’t keep me awake at night! It’s not a huge car but unless you’ve got a big family or need to cart loads of stuff around a lot I can’t imagine you’d have any problems with space. It’s a bit of a Tardis! Everything else is covered as you’d expect from a car in the ’noughties’, let’s face it, it’s quite hard to find a really bad car these days. I lease mine, but I think it costs about �17,000 to buy. Not the cheapest car by a long way but I think it represents good value against other makes. It feels as well built as a Golf (the benchmark still). It must be safe (it’s a Renault) and to be honest I can only think brand snobbery should stop you getting one over a Volvo S40 estate or Audi A3 5dr. Renault have never been considered particularly ’posh’ but this car feels really well sorted. I’m converted, Thought I might treat myself to a Laguna next time, but this actually is big enough!

The water coming through the door was a known fault and Renault sorted it for free on mine. It was the door skin liner. Might be worth asking as they may still offer the upgrade - Simon H from Somerset

Submitted: 2008-06-25 | ID: 46352

Stefan, Buckinghamshire

Renault Megane 2007

Absolutely brilliant. Had the car for 9 months now & no problems. Summer’s here again & I just cannot wait. Get amazing responses to the drop down roof, soo quick & easy. Handling pretty good too.

Submitted: 2008-06-25 | ID: 46165

Alex, Buckinghamshire

Renault Megane 2006

Hi, I’ve got squeaky brakes on my Renault Megane CC, it’s a 2006 model. Has anyone managed to get the brakes changed under warranty? By the way I’ve purchased the extended warranty also.

Submitted: 2008-06-16 | ID: 46319

Paul Johnston, England

Renault Megane 2007

An excellent family car, plenty of room and boot space. Good looking car and interior, nice to drive and quick for a 1.4 16v - all i need for mainly around town driving. Problem with squeaking front brakes, car only has 5000 miles on the clock. Will be taking it into Renault and expect it repaired under warranty as it seems to be a common fault that Renault are aware of. Had a problem with an annoying noise when heater fans were on - turned out the pollen filter was full of leaves, surely with how long they’ve been building cars - this is the basics of good workmanship - why can leaves enter parts of the car mechanics ? After 2 weeks there was a strong smell of fish in the car, turned out it was something to do with the aircon - after having the aircon cleaned out twice - all has been ok, not what you expect when you buy a new car. My last car was a Clio, overall i am happy with Renault cars - no serious faults, just daft little things.

Submitted: 2008-06-13 | ID: 46318

Annie, England

Renault Megane 2005

Bought my Megane cabriolet, top of the range with bells and whistles in July 2005 so am nearing the end of the warranty period... and I’m dreading it! I’ve lost track of the number of times it’s been back with the leaking roof (alarm goes off if it rains, passenger side windows won’t work until they dry out etc... etc...) and the howling brakes when reversing - this is a known fault apparently but Renault don’t know how to fix it yet on the Megane cabriolet - I ring up every few months to check (there is a fix for the Scenic apparently because another irate Renault customer told me about it). The Renault UK customer services desk have assured me that the car is safe (interesting if they don’t actually know how to fix the fault so presumably don’t know the cause!) - but I have passed that assurance onto the police on the 3 occasions I’ve been stopped and asked to explain the noise..... Power steering also failed and had to be replaced - after pointing out to the customer services that I thought this was a very serious issue as car had been almost impossible to steer and I had only just left the motorway, I advised that it wouldn’t have been as much of a problem if it had failed on the motorway because it would have been easier to steer at speed... unbelievable! When it’s working and the sun is out, the car is great, but I have no confidence that it’s safe or robust and Renault Customer services are appalling - would never buy a Renault again.

Submitted: 2008-06-13 | ID: 46166

Katrina Wood, Yorkshire

Renault Megane 2005

I too have a leaking roof. The car has been in over 10 times and still it leaks at the joint at the top of the side windows, yes both sides. The rear view vision is not very good either. Has anyone had a leaking roof successfully repaired?

Hi, my 55 plate Megane has been in 3 times for water leaks now. The first time when I bought the car at 18 months old, they said they could not find any leaks and gave it back to me. It was still leaking so phoned them again and they said they were aware of a problem with them leaking on the roof, so they had it in and repaired it. I had it back but it was still leaking, phoned them again and they said "are you parking your car on an hill and you are washing your car to much"!! I phoned customer service and complained as this should have been sorted when it was in warranty so thay talked to Renault Cardiff and agreed to get it sorted for us. I booked it in and they said the roof was not leaking. Listen to this... under the plastic covering of the windscreen wiper motor at the bottom of the windscreen there is a trough with two holes either side which all the water runs into, down through a pipe, onto the floor underneath. Well, debris had got into the holes, blocking them and filling the trough up with water which was then going in through the inlet of the air con/heater and into the car - which has about 1-2 inches of water standing on the floor. If you push your hand down hard on the floor behind the seats water rises though the carpet. The problem now is I reckon this has been the problem all along and they have missed it on the two occasions it was booked in. The electrics are sitting on the floor, have been contaminated and need replacing with the foam carpets etc at a total cost of wait for it £3300. So all you Megane owners get under that cover and make sure them holes are not getting blocked up!! - Terry Jones from Rhondda Cynon Taff

Hi, just to add I bought my Megane Coupe last May 2009, very nice looking car but I too have the problem with water leaking in on both sides where the seals meet. Please could you advise what the problem is or any suggestions of what to try and cure the problem? - Debbie Lawless from Lancashire

Submitted: 2008-06-05 | ID: 46167

Diane Peacock, Nottinghamshire

Renault Megane 2008

In response to the email from Pam Darlison. If you have not sorted out your check injection light - I can help. I had the same problem with my Scenic a couple of weeks ago. My local garage plugged it in to the computer and couldn’t find anything wrong with it. I went home, trawled through the internet for half and hour and found the answer. You need to get the heater plugs changed and hey presto its sorted. It cost me £70 at my local garage. Hope this helps you and anyone else out there!

Submitted: 2008-06-03 | ID: 46164

Renault Megane 2007

Hi, it’s me again, just thought I would give you an update on the state of play. Well, the experts from Renault UK came up to visit us country yokels on Tuesday the 20th of May to spread their wealth of knowledge on water ingress or better known to us yokels as leaking roof. Well they tell me the problem has been completely resolved !!!???, so I am now praying for rain , sorry about this inconvenience, but is all for the advancement of science and to see if them clever buggers from down south know what they’re about. Anyway I mentioned about giving Graham his passport back and bugger me, he clears off to Moscow as soon as I turn my back. Well there are compensations at least the the two Ravishing beauties Jayne and Nicola didn’t desert me, and they have assured me a place on the top table at the Christmas party, no chairs just a table. Well I am preying to the god of rain and will keep you all informed. PS I hope Graham brought me a stick of rock back?? Best wishes playmates. Ray.

Submitted: 2008-05-27 | ID: 46163

Neil, Northamptonshire

Renault Megane 2006

Oh dear, Oh dear. If it wasn’t for the fact that a large chunk of plastic and metal flew off the parcel shelf corner as I was raising the roof last week and hit me in the back, I wouldn’t have much to complain about the car. The only leaks I’ve had are a few drips if it’s been sitting in a torrential downpour, or when the driers are set to cyclone on the car wash. However, I do have a serious problem with Renault aftercare. The local dealer service department are trying to argue that the said piece of plastic breaking off may be driver error?!? Hmmm, park on level surface, sit in drivers seat, push button. Not exactly difficult. Clearly the motor that folds the corner in to let the roof pass through failed. "It might be that you tried to lift the roof by hand" !!! Do they have any idea how heavy those bits of glass are? And why would I try that, when I can be perfectly lazy, sat on my rear, pushing a button? "Were you outside the car when this happened?" Yes, my name is Mr Tickle and I have nine foot arms. All I seem to get is apathy and ridiculous questions to get out of the fact their car failed. On the plus side, it’s a lease car which they get back in 12 months. If they still argue that I should pay for the repair, then guess what, I won’t pay for the repair, they’ll get it back in 12 months and have to repair it anyway, that on top of the fact I may get a solicitor involved for being hit by a 2lb piece of car. Oh, and I won’t be getting another Renault next time. :-)

Submitted: 2008-05-14 | ID: 46161

Renault Megane 2007

... Hi, it’s me again with an update on my leaking roof, it has now been in six times and the technical department have been up from London to give us their wealth of experience. Well, poor Graham (Mechanic) from DSG Whitelund, Morecambe started off at fifteen stone and is now down too ten stone (he is accepting membership for his slimming club) all you need to join is a leaky cabriolet, poor bloke!! I have promised to give him back is passport in time for his hols, by god he needs one after my car. Well enough hilarity , my vehicle is still leaking at the opposite side now despite them changing all the rubber seals and hours of adjustments and now it has to go back in to DSG on the 20th of this month and this time are sending two technicians up from London working on the theory that two heads are better than one!!?? and then it will have to be re-booked in again for further repairs that will make 8 visits. The only good thing is I have been invited to the Christmas party by Jayne and Nicola who I am now officially recommending for receptionists of the year!! By the way Jayne you would still get wet in the back of the car!! Anyway, I have just been out and bought a 320di M BMW just in case they aren’t successful and before my wife divorces me!! Well, will keep you informed of progress or my senility whichever comes first. Best wishes, Ray.

Submitted: 2008-05-07 | ID: 46162

Peter, England

Renault Megane 2004

Just bought the missus an 04 plate 1.6 petrol cc,. Firstly, thanks to Jon Stevens, whose previous report was invaluable as I had the same problem with mine, with his report I knew how to fix it. The vehicle is running " lumpy" and takes a couple of attempts of button pushing to get it to "fire up", also the tick over is up and down... Luckily its still under warranty... Someone has mentioned it may be the coil pack , has anyone else had this problem and could they suggest a possible cure? Apart from that though the missus loves the motor and I must admit I love the look of the car.

I have had 2 coils replaced on mine already. The RAC have told me this is quite common with the Renaults. They cost about £30 and if you are with the RAC they don’t charge you to fit it - from Surrey

Yes, we just had same problem, it was diagnosed as the phase pulley. Approximately £550 to replace - Dave Pryer from Kent

Submitted: 2008-04-28 | ID: 46158

Michelle Sutherland, Lothians

Renault Megane 2006

Think twice before buying 1 of these cars. had mine for 16 months now. Currently in the garage for the 5th time for water leakage. Got a call from them yesterday to tell me that whilst the tech expert was re sealing my car he shut the door and guess what - THE ROOF IMPLODED.

Submitted: 2008-04-18 | ID: 46150

Bill, Norfolk

Renault Megane 2008

Must say I’m really glad I bought my car before reading the tails of woe this forum contains! I’m very pleased that, so far, mine is almost perfect. Before I bought I tried all the competition (Peugeot, Vauxhall, Volvo, Saab etc) available & decided that it was the best of the bunch for me. I also know of two people locally who are now on their second car & have been very happy with both of them. My heart goes out to those who’ve not had such a good experience. Only had it for two months (since Feb 08) & 3000 miles but it has stood out in rain, hail, sleet & snow as well as glorious sunshine (albeit a bit chilly). I’m pleased to report that not a drop of water has managed to get into the cabin. The roof has been up & down quite a bit already. The heater works well to keep the front seat occupants warm on frosty mornings with the top down but it can get a bit chilly in the back. I do find the heated front seats a bit strange as the centre gets hot but the side supports stay cold which is slightly uncomfortable. Contrary to popular myth it is big enough for 4 adults as long as they are no all over 6ft like me. Rule of thumb, I have found, is that the front & back seat passenger on the same side should not really have a combined height of more than about 11ft 8in for comfort. I find the back seat with two over 6 footers in is still quite comfy (with shorter people in the front) & there is more head room in the back than my Vectra hatch! You can also get in & out of the back seat while the driver is still sitting & the roof up. Our 130 dci auto gives good if not spectacular acceleration & currently about 38mpg in mixed use. I’ve seen figures in the 50s on the computer traveling on the motorway at a steady speed (70) & good A roads but tends to get knocked down again by the slow crawl in traffic, which is to be expected I suppose. Handling, brakes etc are good bearing in mind the torsional stiffness of the roof is missing & it does tend to rattle a bit but not unduly for this type of car. Definitely more of a cruiser than a sports car; but hey, who wants to go fast with the top down anyway? BEWARE. The auto diesel model service interval is only 9000 miles & not the 12000 as per the manual & 18000 for the petrol models. Ok if you want to leave it on the drive but a pain if you want to drive it a lot (which you will). The way we are going it will need servicing every 6 months!

Submitted: 2008-04-08 | ID: 46153

Pam Darlison, Derbyshire

Renault Megane 2005

I love the car Dynamique dCi 130 6 Speed, economical, however I do have a water leak that appears to be coming in from the wing mirror, the Renault service department told me to park uphill as they could not find where the water was coming in??? Also, when I start the engine the message says check injection with the service light on, car is not due for a service for another 11k miles. Has anyone else had the injection message showing as Renault says they cannot find a fault?

I have the same, but found if you stop the engine after a short run and start again it warning goes out - Keith Powell from Lancashire

Submitted: 2008-04-07 | ID: 46151

Jon Stevens, Nottinghamshire

Renault Megane 2004

I was unable to start the car with the button and the clutch depressed, only with the brake depressed. I trawled down to the dealer and they were unable to spot it, so I asked how much for them to keep it and they sort it out - £35 an hour and a days work. I trawled through the net and found an article with exactly the same fault but no answer on how to fix it. Just in case anybody else has this problem, look under the clutch pedal and there is a plug attached by wires that leads to the ignition circuit, inspect them carefully where they come out from the plug, I found that although mine appeared intact, one side was not, so you squeeze the sides of the plug and it comes out and bit from the wiring. Plugged it back in no problems since.

Submitted: 2008-04-04 | ID: 46154

Alan, Lancashire

Renault Megane 2005

Had car for 2yrs now love it no problems at all. maybe its because it was built for cyprus not uk. Also got full size spare wheel. Only wish it had leather when new, seats a pain to keep clean so recovered them now.

Submitted: 2008-03-29 | ID: 46156

Ricky Mcfarlane, County Armagh

Renault Megane 2007

I bought the dci 106 dynamique c/c and I can honestly say I’ve never driven a better car. The miles per gallon and drive are fantastic not to mention the build quality and the lack of wind noise. I feel sorry for the people who have given it a bad review although I suppose you only go onto a website like this if you have had problems !!!!

Submitted: 2008-03-28 | ID: 46155

Renault Megane 2007

I collected my new cabriolet on Dec 18 2007 I went for the top of the range 1.9 diesel leather upholstery etc This is my second cabriolet I had one of the first ones in 2004, had very few problems but this one has been back to the dealer DSG of Morecambe 4 times with a leaking roof and they are still unable to rectify the problem Renault have even produced a DVD to assist, but to no avail, so know I have to wait for Renault technical dept to get involved. Will keep you posted. Ray

Submitted: 2008-03-25 | ID: 46157

William, England

Renault Megane 2007

I’ve have had the car now for 6 months and never had any problem with the car whatsoever. Really impressed with the acceleration and handling even though it’s the first diesel I’ve owned and I can’t even remember the last time I had to fill the thing up, very economical considering the stop-start driving I do every day. Fun car to drive, looks good with the roof up or down, comfortable and when the roof is up the boot space is enormous. The only thing i wished i had gone for was the 1.9 dci (130) model.

The tyre pressure should be on a plate on the recess of the driver door - Mark Brennan from Kent

Submitted: 2008-03-17 | ID: 46181

Michelle Wright, England

Renault Megane 2005

Bought the car just over a year ago from a local Renault specialist dealer. The car was 2 years old and had only done 2500 miles and it has now been in the garage 14 times with lots of faults, the main one being the engine and service light which they CAN’T seem to cure. At 18000 miles its just had a new cat and yes its still not right, been back twice now with yes the same problem!! Has anyone any ideas because it is now getting beyond a joke?

Submitted: 2008-03-17 | ID: 46180

Mark, Buckinghamshire

Renault Megane 2006

This is my 3rd leased one and will probably be replaced with another in 3 months when it goes back. The rainwater effect Michaela mentioned has been there since 2003, so they’ve not even attempted to address the problem through the years. But it is a practical car - good headroom in the back even for 6 footers. The automatic windscreen wipers Jenny complained about can have their sensitivity adjusted by the rotary wheel on the wiper stalk - and yes you can manually turn them off too, so it really shouldn’t be a gripe. The DCi 86 1.5 is only £35 a year to tax thanks to the low CO2 emissions, or at least until the Chancellor changes it. The car also turns in a healthy 47.5mpg average in real life without trying. Since I’ve not reset the read-out throughout the 10K miles this one’s now done that is a real use figure as opposed to the Government/Manufacturer figures. It rolled over and started again at 10K miles, but has settled back to that again in the 4.5K I’ve done since. Handling is a little soft, but it does grip well and despite the brake squeal (which I do have, but is minor), the car has phenominal stopping ability - in common with all other Renaults I’ve driven. The softness does however make for a comfortable drive on rougher surfaces, so a reasonable compromise that works well on the deteriorating UK roads. I’d agree with Ray about it being a practical although not exciting car, but all the ones I’ve had have all been reliable, economical and nothing has fallen off. Insurance is cheap too. Build quality is OK, nowhere near as precise as on a German car, but then they have far more toys as standard. Boot space is bigger than you might expect when you look at the car and like the Scenic it has several handy storage spaces including 2 underfloor ones in the front foot wells. Air-con is standard and the Maxim variant has an MP3 player which makes a CD go a lot further when you make your own. I’ve not gone beyond 20K miles in the ones I’ve had, so the Turbo failure Alison has had at 53K miles is outside my experience. However I do know 2 other Megane drivers who’ve exceeded that mileage with no issues, but who have said that the car does start to deteriorate at about 5 years old / 80K miles - electric windows being a common failure it seems. The car flags when it approaches service intervals - messages turn up in the computer display along with a spanner icon. Annoying when this starts at about 46 weeks for your 1 years service, but it does at least mean you’ve got no excuse to say you forgot. Having driven a 1.9 DCi Sport I was surprised just how much more power it had. The car was amazingly tractable and felt much faster than I’d expected it would in relation to the 1.5. The sport also felt like it had taughter handling, but at the expense of 1.5 hatch comfort on bumpier surfaces. So in summary, if you’ve not tried one you’ll probably be surprised how practical they are. They wont excite you but if you want reliable transport with low running costs you could do much worse.

Submitted: 2008-03-14 | ID: 46316

Neil Smith, Nottinghamshire

Renault Megane 2005

I've only had the car 3 weeks and it's been back to Renault for 2 of them! After picking up the car i noticed oil on the floor, so i took it into the garage, to find the "wishbones" had gone, and the seal on the oil filter was "leaking". I'm supposed to be picking it up tomorrow, my advice after reading everybody else's comments would be stay well away from this car.

Submitted: 2008-02-26 | ID: 46178

Fay, Devon

Renault Megane 2004

I purchased this car in November 2007, after a few weeks I complained that the roof was leaking slightly. The garage I purchased it from, took it in, and after a week said it was fixed. They had adjusted the door. Next time it rained the passenger seat was sodden! The garage had it back, kept it for a month (while it waited for parts) and then said it was fixed. They had replaced all the door seals, and the rear windows (which apparently came as part of the door seal package). It does not leak any more, but the doors do not fit well either!! My only other complaint about the car is that it has no ’go’ and is very slow to get going. Otherwise I love it!!

Submitted: 2008-02-25 | ID: 46179

Jenny Spencer, England

Renault Megane 2006

Purchased Sept 06, after 1000 miles had squeaky brakes, to which still to this day Renault can not find a repair to. I have been advised it€™s since the new shape and still on-going fault finding. My car has been in several times to have the brakes cleaned. If feels like i am driving a 25 year old car! The wipers come on, on there own - even on a very sunny day. The lights on the dash board have had to be repaired as they failed twice. Now I have no radio, the clock back light on permanently and the mpg/mph clock going up and down erratically. I am still outstanding a response from Renault which I sent yesterday to put an end to the on-going problems. Fingers crossed!

Submitted: 2008-02-19 | ID: 46317

Lawrence Speer, County Down

Renault Megane 2005

I think the car looks great with the roof up or down. It goes extremely well 130 bhp engines are very smooth and in fact I would say it is quieter than my own car which is a 320d. Was very impressed with the roof mechanism; very slick. However from the early stages of ownership it started to leak just a drip or two nothing two serious, thought it was perhaps normal but then the problem got worse. It was in and out of the dealership a few times but no improvement at all, decided to take it to another dealership thinking perhaps it was down to the quality of the mechanics. That dealership kept if for a week and handed the car back and basically said they were unable to fix it (Car has 6 month warranty left). Its in the hands of Renault UK to sort out, they tell me they are going to send an expert over to assess and fix the roof, but it would appear that from other reviews people across the UK are experiencing similar problems so I am not hopeful. It is a real shame my wife loves the car and so do I. Not sure where to go from here. The car is two and half years old now I cant see Renault giving us our money back.

Submitted: 2008-02-18 | ID: 46177

Kelly Johnson, Kent

Renault Megane 2004

I purchased this car last August with my partner- (Renault Ilford). He told me endless times not to go for a Renault especially a coupe cab - but this is the car I wanted and I did not listen!!! The car to me is very attractive but that is all what is going for it. I had endless problems - the handbrake needed to be replaced - and also the clutch (thank god I had warranty)!! Then it decided to completely cut out (4 times) when I was pulling out of a junction or roundabout (which nearly involved me and my baby in TWO accidents). After endless returns to Renault Ilford I had had enough!!!!! I then had to involve solicitors as I was not excepting anymore bulls*it from them. (I was literally ready to drive the car through their showroom). I got a complete refund and also out of pocket expenses. I would say never ever purchase one of these cars, unless you’re willing to put up with the endless problems which occur with these vehicles! I thought that this may have been a one off but looking and hearing reviews (bad ones) of these cars it just shows there are many more people like me who have parted with there well eared cash on a car they thought would be the best thing ever but turned out to be the worst and most of all the most time consuming mistake ever!!!!!!! Please be warned.

Submitted: 2008-02-18 | ID: 46176

Suzanne Marke, Devon

Renault Megane 2001

I love Renaults, i really do, this is my second one and i will replace it with another, it may not look that spectacular but it provides all i need, it has 3 proper seat belts in the back and it feels safe and secure. It drives comfortable, it’s not a gas guzzler and not too bad for the environment. With petrol costs spiralling out of control it’s economical too. Boot space is good; it can handle a trip to Tesco and the huge amounts of groceries a family of 5 consume. I would highly recommend Renaults to everyone. Happy driving.

Submitted: 2008-02-11 | ID: 46314

Alison Coonick, Merthyr Tydfil

Renault Megane 2003

Loved the shape of the car and looks very nice from the inside. Only thing is since i bought the car a year and half ago we have had nothing but engine problems with it and now only after 53000 miles the turbo has blown in the car and you don’t expect something like that to happen on a new car and now it will cost 1800 just to repair the car which I find very expensive.

Submitted: 2008-02-06 | ID: 46315

Phil, Suffolk

Renault Megane 2006

I have had this car for 18 months now and as much as I want to love it I find nothing but problem after problem. Past problems: Firstly the car was creaky after investigation the garage said the bolts needed tightening inside the frame of the car. Also the air conditioning had to be replaced because of a rattling noise. Ongoing problems with no fix: The suspension creaks (they did replace the rear suspension but problem still there). The brakes squeak (they told me there was nothing they could do as my car already had the "fix". The parcel shelf rattles. Current problems: The roof leaks which they have had in the garage but have not fully fixed. The inside of the roof frame seems to be collecting water and sloshes about when you drive (they tried to tell me it was the fuel tank i could hear) the drivers heated seat is faulty (they are fixing this weekend, hopefully!!) I wish I never bought the car and am now stuck with a car that cost me a lot of money and is not worth anything.

Submitted: 2008-02-01 | ID: 46183

Lynn Cherry, Renfrewshire

Renault Megane 2005

Interested to hear about the imploding roof, the same thing happened to mine last year cost me - they said it wasn’t a fault with the car!!! The roof leaks at the driver side, has always been a problem. The more I think about it small things like the alarm saying on all night, windows dropping down, and engine trouble - RAC saying it’s a Renault!! I will definitely be buying a different make.

Submitted: 2008-01-28 | ID: 46185

Ian Davidson, Lothians

Renault Megane 2007

Fancy a life of never ending electrical faults, endless trips to Evans Hernshaw (Yes, If you’ve been there you know what I mean) Do not buy any Renault you have been warned.

Submitted: 2008-01-28 | ID: 46184

Nick Gillett, England

Renault Megane 2005

I own a 55 reg with the 17" alloys and split tail gate. Having done 12,000 miles (it’s the wife car!) it has been very very good. Only one weird problem.... the door leaks water and it collects in the storage holder at the bottom. This same problem happens on my friends Megane. Very comfortable and an impressive list of standard features. More than a BMW! I can recommend this car without any hesitation. 5 out of 5!

Nick, I have the very same problem with water collecting in the passanger door and I’m buggered if I can find the fault!! Did you have any joy?? I don’t want to go back to the dealer as I’m sure it cost me £100 for no reason! - Kevin Duggan from Herefordshire

Submitted: 2008-01-16 | ID: 46350

Eddie Tee, Northern Ireland

Renault Megane 2007

The Renault Megane coupe - cabriolet is a bad car don’t buy one . The roofs leak .and they don’t start so good . A push now and then helps. Well done Renault and thank you for this crap car . I feel so sick after all the money I’ve spent on this car . Should have not got rid of my Nissan. Well we all live and learn. So if any one is thinking of buying a Renault . On your own head be it . One more thing to add, Renault UK, your cars are shit !!!

Submitted: 2008-01-14 | ID: 46186

Dave Milner, Yorkshire

Renault Megane 2005

This is a proper grandparent�s car, with grandparent�s driver position, grandparents, style, grandparent�s smells, grandparents, driving appeal, grandparents everything really. Used one borrowed from my grandparents and was able to fully understand why so many grandparents buy this particular Renault. There is nothing wrong with the Megane, (sometimes there is lost of things wrong with grandparents), but we have to be realistic about car passion and appeal from some of us cooler type of drivers. As a family transport wagon they are absolutely fine, and the versatility of the model, the fuel consumption, the rear split folding seats, the stupid bloody playing card of an engine start up gadget, the pretty modern shape, (apart from that awful rear arse shape that has been drummed into us from those annoying adverts in recent years)! There is a couple of simple word for describing this model.......Simply o.k...

And now you are a grandparent? :) - Penelope Lane from New Zealand

Submitted: 2008-01-14 | ID: 46312

David Craig, County Antrim

Renault Megane 2007

My Renault Megane cabriolet is 12 weeks old. Paid cash for it at Charles Hurst Boucher road Belfast anyone that is thinking of buying any Renault please please think again. The roof started leaking. Windows work when they want to. Some mornings it will be very hard to start. And the list goes on and on .and when you bring it back to Charles Hurst. The service staff will give you the run around. And blow smoke up your back side to get you out off there show room. At the end of the day when you pay for your lovely new car. Its f**k you mac we got paid. Ha ha. well Charles Hurst this is only the start of it cant wait until trading standards get there teeth in to your’s and the Sunday world.

Submitted: 2008-01-09 | ID: 46187

Gregg Thomas, Swansea

Renault Megane 2006

Owned the car for 16 months now; sparkling performance from a little engine with a surprising turn of torque for 1460 cc. Economy is good too; I never believe manufacturers mpg figures because I don’t drive like their testers - I live in a real world where town driving has a real time effect on economy. This serves to focus on the economy of 48 mpg around town that I’ve experienced. A good load carrier - buy the roof bars for £70 for a real carry car. A shame that at six feet tall the back seats won’t fold down flat when I’m driving, but the split rear seats are good. Comfort, cosseted by leather panels, is reasonably good with loads of adjustment and the adjustable steering wheel really does work to find a good driving position. Steering is not overly light as some have claimed, but I know what they mean when they say there’s little feel, it’s true but so what. Six-speed box is very light to operate and gives quiet motorway cruising ability with a genuine tank measured 59 mpg on motorway work over 400 miles. Not many cars can achieve that! When we ordered the car, I was prepared to pay the additional pounds for the 17 inch alloys, but the salesman advised against them. Having driven the same car with the 17 inchers, how right he was because the wheel comes as standard with a lower profile tyre which may fill the wheel arch in a visually attractive way but you lose out on the comfort and road noise aspect. Headlights - main beam needs more power/longer throw but that may be me at 59 years old. Climate control is excellent; all cars will have this eventually, but this is the first that I’ve had which actually works when your tie’s done up in a summer traffic jam. We ordered a dark grey one with cream (no other colour available!) fully expecting to be frequently busy with the cleaning chemicals but I’m amazed to find that it’s survived without a single wipe over during our tenure. Build quality is good as are the materials; having been a VW buyer for 30 years, I was prepared to be disappointed and critical but I am genuinely pleased as no rattles have papered and no part has fallen or vibrated off, and I don’t expect it to.

Submitted: 2008-01-02 | ID: 46349

Welsh Dragon, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Renault Megane 2007

IMPLODING ROOF Michelle See my review in October with exactly the same fault. Renault, after much complaint, met the full costs. I got rid of the car soon afterwards and wrote to TOP GEAR. No repsonse yet....

Submitted: 2007-12-17 | ID: 46174

Michelle Harris, England

Renault Megane 2005

Renault Megane Coupe-Cabriolet Dynamique 1.9DT If anyone else has had a problem with the roof imploding and completely shattering could you please let me know! I have a Megane Coupe-Cab year 2005 which I thought was a pretty good buy up until now!! Whilst on the motorway a couple of days ago and driving at speed I might add, I suddenly heard the loudest POP and BANG I have ever herd in my life. Once I finally raised my head from the what sounded like a gun shot or bomb, I looked up to raining shatterd glass trickiling down my hat and face. Absolutely nothing had hit the roof, it completely shattered in a million pieces. All you Megane Coupe-Cabriolet drivers please be aware of this and if anyone else has come across this please please please come forward as surprise surprise Renault are taking absolutely no responsibility whatsoever - Guess who will be picking up the tab on this one ??????

Submitted: 2007-12-10 | ID: 46173

John Hirst, Leicestershire

Renault Megane 2007

I purchased this car in July & took delivery on 03/08 2007 after cancelling my order with Ford for a Focus CC3 placed in January which they kept delaying delivery on due to problems with being unable to stop the roofs leaking (which they still don’t appear to have sorted). This is the first diesel I have owned and it is surprisingly quite and responsive. The glass roof makes it really light and airy even when you can’t get the roof down due to the British weather, but even in the winter on a bright sunny day the heating system keeps it warm with the roof down. Plenty of room in the rear and in the boot even with the roof down. The only problem I have had has been an intermittant starting problem with the hands free card, when you press the brake or clutch and push the button to start nothing happens. The car has been back to Renault to try to find any fault but they have been unable to reproduce the fault, they have advised me not to keep using the same card but to alternate them to avoid draining the battery and if you place the card in the reader once a week it will charge the card, although there is no mention of this in the handbook. Can’t fault customer service though as they keep ringing to check on whether the problem is still there (unlike Ford’s couldn’t care less dept who just refused to discuss problems with leaking roofs and delivery).

Submitted: 2007-12-06 | ID: 46172

Wayne Richards, Northamptonshire

Renault Megane 2006

Nice car to drive on a daily basis. Very comfortable and easy to drive. Good space in front and back and nice sized boot. All in all a well thought out saloon that looks classy.

Submitted: 2007-11-22 | ID: 46325

Chris Gilmore, Cardiff

Renault Megane 2006

I’ve just bought the 1.5 diesel version of these and am incredibly pleased. Although a smaller engine than I normally go for it is quite responsive and surprisingly quick! The car is comfortable affordable to maintain and stylish and although not much leg room in the back I don’t think I would get a similar car for the price I paid. Its cheep to tax and the MPG is amazing!! The interior has lots of space in front and plenty of storage - the boot is huge when top up with top down it’s a lot smaller but does the job. I love the glass roof helps to make it feel more spacious and the sound system is good for a standard piece of kit - overall I would recommend one of these to anyone except if you have a large family!

Submitted: 2007-11-20 | ID: 46175

Harrys Dad, Hampshire

Renault Megane 2006

I’ve had the car 18 months & never had any problem with the car whatsoever. Really impressed with the acceleration & handling even though it’s the first Diesel I’ve owned and I can’t even remember the last time I had to fill the thing up, very economical considering the stop-start driving I do every day. Fun car to drive, looks good with the roof up or down, comfortable and when the roof is up the boot space is enormous. The only downside is that you can’t get a spare wheel (not even a space saver) for this model, instead you’re supplied with 2 cans of inflating foam, great for a nail or slow puncture but no use when your wife damages the sidewall of the tyre ("honestly, I didn’t hit the kerb") & Renault Assistance (which is included as part of the warranty) won’t attend without charging the earth as it’s not a warranty related issue. Oh & the horn is like a toy car hoot, you might as well shout...

Submitted: 2007-11-07 | ID: 46188

John Deery, Northumberland

Renault Megane 2007

Good quality build and practical car. Cheap to run and insure for a saloon. Handling a little clumsy but otherwise a good buy.

Submitted: 2007-11-02 | ID: 46310

Steve Holt, Cornwall

Renault Megane 2007

I find my diesel Megane really cheap to run, insure & tax. On a 57 plate I only paid £11,000 for a nearly new one with just a few thousand miles. An important factor for me was the 5 star NCAP rating.

Submitted: 2007-10-25 | ID: 46311

Samantha Watson, Hampshire

Renault Megane 2007

Two weeks after picking up my new Megane Cabriolet (which I thought was going to be the car of my dreams), the roof started leaking. After 8 visits to various dealers and 15 months of battling with Renault UK, they agreed to replace my car with another model from the range which I am more then happy with. Part of the problem was caused when I visited one dealer for them to try and repair the roof, only for them to cause more problems which is as long story but resulted in them respraying half of the car. Unfortunately the spray job was not brilliant as I had pearlescent paint and I ended up with a two tone car, but all Renault could say was that the colour on the tin was correct. Funny that when they took the car back they resprayed it completely before putting it on the forecourt.

Submitted: 2007-10-15 | ID: 46191

Welsh Dragon, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Renault Megane 2007

I don’t know if anyone else has had this problem but the roof imploded on me whilst on the motorway! I bought a brand new Megane in May this year as I thought it a fun car with excellent safety standards. Not so! The electric window motor went after two months and then the shattering of the roof was the final straw! Nothing hit the roof; there was a sound like a gunshot and then the roof shattered, covering us in shards of glass. We think we are lucky to be alive as this happened on the motorway at speed. So, all you prospective buyers out there beware! Laminated safety glass? Forget it! And are Renault being a pain in the rear? What do you think!

Submitted: 2007-10-08 | ID: 46192

Ben Gill, Yorkshire

Renault Megane 2007

Simply the quickest hatch point to point I’ve ever had and all the experts agree. Goes like the clappers, handles like a dream, does 32+ to the gallon on the motorway. Looks stunning as well. Recently went to the Renault WS race day at Donington, 10th Sept ’07 and on the way down there kids in the backs of other cars were grinning, waving, pointing and giving the thumbs up as I passed them, no doubt saying either "wow" or " look at that dad!" . Seriously though, what a car. I had a 225 Cup before this R26, but this just grips so much better. For under £250 per month it cannot be beaten.

Submitted: 2007-09-21 | ID: 46323

Gary Jones, Cheshire

Renault Megane 2007

One tip for future purchasers of this vehicle GET THE DIESEL!! The petrol is underpowered and thrashy at the top end whilst at the low end the torque leaves you wandering, well where the torque is to be honest. Apart from this the car looks well and the cabin space is a nice place to be. The roof works without fault which is novel for this end of the Coupe Cab sector, just please don't get the petrol.

Submitted: 2007-08-28 | ID: 46189

Charlie Frazer, Buckinghamshire

Renault Megane 2007

This car is one of those that you can’t help doing a double take at yet it’s not flashy, real understated class. The roof mechanism is quiet and efficient and and is indeed quick. I’ve not had the car long and the typical English summer we’ve been having has meant the roof has been up more than down but the glass roof makes up a little for this. Handling is surprisingly light and the drive very enjoyable.

Submitted: 2007-08-13 | ID: 46190

Michaela, Durham

Renault Megane 2007

An excellent all round family car with plenty of room for two children.Boot space also good.Handles road well.Safety features 100%.Only downside is the boot collects rain water so when you open it the water falls on your head!

Submitted: 2007-07-24 | ID: 46309

• Steven's question has been answered: "Check your lights electrical connections for dampness or corrosion. Remove all the affected bulbs and thoroughly clean the metal base and contacts or - Hugh from City of Glasgow' '..." (07/04/2017 10:16:05)
  • Jason's question has been answered: "I do not understand the question. Are you saying you replaced the crankshaft pulley which was causing a knock and had an oil leak and now you have fix - Hugh from City of Glasgow' '..." (13/03/2017 16:36:27)

Renault Megane Coupe-Cabriolet road test report

Despite our somewhat unpredictable climate, we Brits do love a convertible. This might seem a little odd, but if you drive in hotter southern European countries, regular alfresco driving will only get you sunstroke: what you really want there is a good aircon system. But as we only get really strong [...]

Renault Megane Coupe-Cabriolet  road test report

Renault Megane Sport Tourer dCi 160 road test report

The last “Shaking Your Ass” Renault Megane was something of a Marmite car – you either loved it or hated it. The latest generation looks more conventional, with a conservative-looking saloon and stylish Coupe. The newest member of the family, the Megane Estate, is somewhere in between these two. As [...]

Renault Megane Sport Tourer dCi 160 road test report

Renault Megane Coupe 1.9dCi 130 Dynamique - 2009 road test report

Renault’s trusty Mégane has been around in various incarnations since the mid ‘90s, with the current New Mégane range, Coupé included, introduced to the world at the ’08 Paris Motor Show. There’s no doubt that this latest Coupé looks a whole lot slinkier than its immediate predecessor, but might it [...]

Renault Megane Coupe 1.9dCi 130 Dynamique - 2009 road test report