Alfa Romeo 159 consumer car reviews and road tests

Alfa Romeo 159 consumer reviews by year of make: 2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2012

Alfa Romeo 159 consumer car reviews

Jason. In Madrid, Spain, Spain

Alfa Romeo 159 2006 - 2009

Bought my 159 diesel three years ago (was 5 years old at time) and have driven 80,000 kms in that time. Have only two complaints: slightly excessive inner frontal tyre wear and need to change heater plugs every 40,000 kms ( not expensive so can´t complain too much). Otherwise drives like a dream and very happy with car. In fact, seems much more reliable than many German and Japanese cars (BMW, Toyota, Merc, VW) belonging to family members and work colleagues! Is my third Alfa, always bought them second hand, and in general I find them as reliable as any other brand and much more pleasing to drive - they have character!!

Submitted: 2015-11-24 | ID: 123949

Will, Australia

Alfa Romeo 159 2.4JTDm Ti 2009

I have to say I am an Alfa fan.. regardless of the past or others perceptions, they are something unique on the road. I think, however, the period between ’05 until the new Mito and Guilietta, have seen the Alfa’s become very bland in their attempt to appeal to the mainstream. Anyway, I struggle daily with owning my first ever diesel, especially in such an elegant looking car as the 159Ti. It pretty much sounds like a tractor on startup, and next to BMW and even VW diesels it sounds like it should be out in the fields. But what power and comfort it delivers, and a silky smooth auto gearbox (NB - I would prefer a manual, but here in Australia, we are a bit dumb knowing how to change gears, so resale would be a problem). So, here I am in my 4th year of ownership and having done a high number of kilometres (close to 100k) I have had to spend some time and money on repairs; control arms, worn hoses, Wheel bearings (so we are talking about $3,000) and over the years, quite a lot on tyres! I put it down to a heavy car, spec’d with factory lowered suspension, and the 19" low profile wheels/tyres... coupled with poor roads over here. I doubt that standard 159’s with 17 and 18" wheels etc., would get the same problem. Anyway, I have grown to love the car, it still turns heads and its paintwork and the chrome work glimmers. It has a cocoon like leather splendour to its interior and there have been no warranty issues (except the microphone for my Blue&Me system). Its running costs have been the same, if not lower than a previous 147 Twin Spark. So, the 4C is out and I have put a deposit down and am now awaiting its arrival here in Australia, and while I would have usually got rid of the previous vehicle when a new one comes along I think I will keep this beauty for when I need more than 2 doors and 2 seats.

Submitted: 2013-07-28 | ID: 36291

Steve Parker, Herefordshire

Alfa Romeo 159 2.0JTDm 2012

First things first, I will admit that the Alfa was not my first choice of car given the milage I have to cover, but my previous BMW 320d took a large bite out of my wallet and I was forced to look for something cheaper this time around. I looked at Mondeo’s, Insignia’s etc., but in the end found the 159. It was an ex-demonstrator at half what I had paid for the beemer three years before, but the condition was right and at 4k miles was only really run-in. My doubts and remorse started before I had even picked the car up. What was I doing? 50k miles a year in an Alfa! That was almost a year ago now and I have to say that the car has been a gem. It’s a decent drive, does 40+ mpg and, most of all, has been reliable for it’s first 50k miles. Aside from the scheduled services it has had 2 sets of front tyres and one set of rears, pads all round and a rear light bulb. A recent puncture repair cost £12, a refreshing change from £200+ for a new run flat on the beemer. Downsides: The local Fiat dealer has not been the best so I have the car serviced at an independant and a lack of practicality for load lugging (half a star off for these niggles). Aside from that the interior is a nice place to spend time and the Alfa is a relaxed car on long journeys. Perhaps the Alfa gremlins will strike in year 2, but for now I will continue to enjoy my Alfa.

Submitted: 2013-02-23 | ID: 36289

Conor Maguire, Yorkshire

Alfa Romeo 159 2.2 JTS TI 2010

Bought on Saturday. Back in the garage by Tuesday. Not an auspicious start. It is now Thursday and a new timing chain is coming from Italy. We’ll see. It is a stunner though.

Submitted: 2012-11-27 | ID: 36288

Paul Kelly, Lincolnshire

Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDM 2007

My third Alfa - and easily the worst car of any kind I have ever owned. Problems? Too many to list. Main troubles were steering rack failure, awful bonnet catch, excessive tyre wear (on expensive, hard to obtain tyres!), EGR valve failure, bluetooth failure and finally an intermittant problem, which lead to engine coughing and spluttering (really good fun when overtaking!), which even the dealer couldn’t fathom. I really loved my Alfas - three Alfas in a row. NEVER AGAIN!

Submitted: 2012-10-29 | ID: 36287

Michael Birch, England

Alfa Romeo 159 Q4 V6 lusso 2007

Best car I’ll ever own!

Submitted: 2012-09-19 | ID: 36286

Mark Overman, Sussex

Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Lusso 2012

The best car I have owned. Fast, luxurious, beautiful to look at and reliable. The engine screams beautifully under acceleration, I prefer it to the old busso V6 but YMMV. Thirsty though - 20 mpg at best!

Submitted: 2012-02-02 | ID: 36290

Michael Vertannes, Hampshire

Alfa Romeo 159 1.9 Diesel Auto saloon 2007

It’s truly comforting to see the other reviewers using the same adjectives as I would to describe this wonderful car. Soul, passion, style, emotion and sheer driving enjoyment, yes even with the Auto box, is unmatched against the usual suspects i.e. A4 Saab, BMW 3 series. You will only undersand it if you get to drive one for a reasonable period of time. I also have had a BMW 3 series saloon which was great to drive, but does not come close to the 159’s comfort, beauty & driving environment inside my 159, especiallly the fabulous leather seats. Yes, there are some quirky design ergonomics but we’re talking Italian here!...expect it to be so. Gratias, Alfa...Te amo!

Submitted: 2011-06-05 | ID: 36283

Mark Cody, England

Alfa Romeo 159 159 1.9 JTDM Lusso 2008

I bought this car over two and half years ago and it still makes me smile every time I get into it. It’s beautiful to look at, fun to drive and I am happy to say very reliable. I regularly get 42+mph up and down the motorway which is a pleasant surprise. It’s not perfect - it eats tyres, which is it’s only gripe for me. It turns out that this is an issue many 159/Brera owners have reported. It’s a world apart from BMW, Audi and other soul-less cars out there. My issue is that the lease is coming up and what to replace it with as the new 159 replacement isn’t around for another year sadly....

Submitted: 2011-04-25 | ID: 36282

Adam, Devon

Alfa Romeo 159 1750TBI TI 2010

After owning a BMW from new for the last 5 years I was disappointed with the current offerings when it was time to change my car. The thing with BMW, Merc and Audi etc, is they just lack something. They maybe good at most things but I just felt that unless you can stretch to an M3 , C63 or RS4 they are all just tools. Good at what they do but just not interesting. Step in Alfa. Although the 159 must be getting close to the end of it’s run it has such beauty, charm and that thing that’s missing in the German rivals. Whatever it is! Every day I got into my BMW I just turned the key and went off to work. Every day I get into my Alfa, even on a bad day, I smile. This is a good car which brings out emotion. The interior is aimed at the driver and has the most beautiful leather interior. Far superior to my old BMW. And the exterior just puts all other compact execs to shame. Especially in Ti spec. If you like to play it safe and think the most exciting thing in life is playing Scrabble, buy German. If you enjoy life. like excitement and want to feel the blood pumping through your veins, give Alfa a go.

Submitted: 2011-03-23 | ID: 36281

Andy, Staffordshire

Alfa Romeo 159 1.9 JTDM Lusso 2006

My first Alfa and have done 111000 miles in 4 yrs, totaly reliable, does not use any oil between services. The only 2 things that needed doing apart from standard servicing is a rear number plate bulb and the bonnet catch adjusting. Most miles done in a day is 960, south of france to home in 16hrs without a numb bum. Brill!!!

Submitted: 2010-12-10 | ID: 36284

Christopher Upton, Worcestershire

Alfa Romeo 159 Lusso 2010

I’ve had my 159 2.2 JTS Lusso for 2months now - and loved every second of driving pleasure. However, my previous car was a VW Passat 1.9 TDi, so as far as performance goes, I’ve nothing to compare it to!! On the practicality side though, the Alfa really leaves something to be desired. No folding rear seats (they’re an expensive extra!), very little space for CD’s in the glove box or front door bins, the boot release button on the roof(?!) and the fact that you can’t use the cup-holder and cigarette lighter at the same time is a strange design concept!! The point is though, I didn’t buy this car because of it’s practically. German design is very well thought out, and highly ergonomic - but NO-WHERE NEAR as easy on the eye!! The Alfa is beautiful from the aggressively sexy front end, all the way to the incredibly styled rear lights, and everywhere in-between. The smooth tanned leather seats were designed by the guy who makes ’em for Ferrari, and the stitching and leather in the door panels screams ’ultimate style.’ Then there’s the engine: Ok so this car isn’t the best 2.2 on the market, in performance, nor economy, but it sounds like no other!! It purr’s like a sleeping tiger when idle and then screams like a howling banshee when you get it up to 5,000 rpm!! I’m running at around 22-26 mpg driving fairly sensibly from my home through town to work each day, around 10 mile round trip, but on the motorway even driving fairly rapidly, you can get it up to about 32mpg cruising in 6th. So yes, I fill up a lot more than I used to with my diesel, and I can’t store as many bratwurst or pairs of lederhosen in my boot..... but I love it more than anything I’ve owned before, and I won’t be getting rid of it in a hurry!!! In summery, a fantastic car, if you want the practicality(almost!) of a saloon, coupled with the aggressive and fiery temperament of an Italian sports car. And so far no mechanical concerns at 32,000 miles..... Alfa’s have changed :-)

Submitted: 2010-07-20 | ID: 36285

Syd Taylor, Staffordshire

Alfa Romeo 159 Lusso. Diesel 2009

The digits 159 instantly recall the legendary Alfa single seat racer, which was probably the most successful racing car ever - so immediately I wondered how much, if any, DNA residue resided under the sleek and stylish exterior of this upmarket saloon. Well I'm pleased to be able to testify that this is a car with the virtues of yesteryear incorporated in its DNA with the added bonus for today's driver of all the bellissimo bells and whistles. On first acquaintance with this imposing and astonishingly good looking car - which came, of course, in bright red - superlatives are somewhat muted: the car managing everything expected of it in an efficient and understated manner. But then don't we expect that of every motorcar these days? Open it up and it's a box of delights. You're as cosseted as a caveman in a Saville Row suit. In fact the whole character of the car can be likened to a splendidly crafted Italian leather shoe - the sort that betrays class without a trace of crassness; as tasty as tagliatelli, perhaps, and as piquant as Parmesan. Just in case you think your reviewers head is swelling in self-admiration at his own boundless eloquence, rest assured that this intelligently designed car contains within its sleek profile, copious headroom for even the most capacious cranium. I'm not saying you could wear a guardsman's busby while driving but a bouffant beehive would emerge without any flatspots whatsoever. This is in contrast to so many modern designs where the 'too low' roofline tends to impress a centre parting on the driver irrespective of any retro fashion inclinations. Inside I pondered on the ergonomic efficiency combined with the aesthetic acumen of the Italian designers. Sumptuousness is at its best, with supremely comfortable leather seats, luxury carpets, dual climate zone - and if it doesn't leave you quite frothing with excitement, there is definitely a tang of cappuccino creaminess. Safety has, of course, been fully addressed with airbags aplenty - and the 5 star rating is testimony to this. For the driver, the only jarring note is the red display sitting centrally between speedo and rev counter, which strikes one on the nose (maybe only if you're Cyrano De Bergerac!). Otherwise an exemplary attention to detail is everywhere evident. One feels in the right place at the right time with everything right to hand. However, as my acquaintance grew, so did my attachment to the pleasures, which progressively impinge upon the consciousness of the driver. For instance, the steering seems, perhaps, a shade heavy at first but becomes reassuringly correct with 'spot on' feedback through the wheel and just the right amount of bite on turn-in. Clutch movement is not the usual processed experience and you actually have to 'engage' in the activity: one has to 'learn' a little bit in order to do it perfectly - and when the skill is mastered the rewards are satisfying and you realise you're actually a 'driver' again. Similarly the gear change itself might feel almost 'notchy' to Nissan Micra drivers - but this is an Alfa and it dawns on you that it's what changing gear is all about: a question of feel. To take up the theme, the feel good factor is something that emerges incrementally. There is no instant flash to hit you in the face - afterwards to be dissipated. Rather there is the beneficial feeling that getting to know this car will be an experience to be relished. With new and uprated wonderfully sporty, super torquey, smooth and economical (around 40 mpg overall) 170bhp (360Nm at just 1750rpm) 2.0litre diesel power under the bonnet and substantial tyres underfoot, all suggestions of fragile Italian thoroughbreds are banished. This is a car as solid as the Seven Hills of Rome and as fluid as the rippling river Tiber - and if you enjoy your driving you'd be unlikely to choose a 3 Series BMW over one of these. There just has to be essence of Fangio and Farina in this car. It banishes the bland, but not at the expense of dependability. It's a car to feel at home in under every driving condition - even in the notorious traffic jams, which are inflicted on us with monotonous regularity these days. It may be red, but despite its colour, you're never in a jam with an Alfa 159. and around £23,850 for the 'Lusso spec.' version is a reasonable price for it's place in the market. There are few cars on the road today where one can say 'hand on heart' that one really enjoys the experience behind the wheel. I confidently say that driving such a beautifully mannered car made me feel as well bred as a Royal Duke. This is a car for the cultured motorist who has no need to show off but a very real need for refinement and enjoyment. I leave you with this. Does it pass its SATS Test? (That is:- Special Alfa Test.). The answer - Si! Si!

Submitted: 2009-11-17 | ID: 36280

Karl Irwin, Northumberland

Alfa Romeo 159 2.2 JTS 2006

After two and a half years of pleasure and trouble free motoring it is now getting towards the end of my lease deal. I will be replacing it with another 159. Without doubt its the best kept secret of the car world, fantastic to drive , well built and of course drop dead gorgeous. Any soulless sheep thinking of a 3 series an A4, Passat etc... WAKE UP! Try a 159 if you understand what cars should really be about you will love it. Okay BAD points - the 2.2 is thirsty, the average is about 29 mpg but new 1.8 Tbi due later this year will sort that out (200hp) to play with to boot. Also new 2 litre diesel engine with 170hp is a stonker as well. Well done Alfa!

Submitted: 2009-06-10 | ID: 36292

AlfaBlood, Northern Ireland

Alfa Romeo 159 2.2 JTS (Selespeed) 2008

I’ve owned a 147 Selespeed in Austria for 3 years with which I enjoyed every single mile without a single glitch. My Alfa-Driver Soul reincarnated now in Singapore and I had to test drive the new 159 Q2 2.2 JTS Selespeed. Red colour, Sweet beige leather seats. First look: The kind of car that makes you forget about the most beautiful woman in the world... Erm!! definitely a man’s car!! It’s amazing the level of design detail Team Giugiaro has put into this model. These italians do everything with passion... if they want!! Highway: On Automatic (Selespeed) > Normal Mode: Sweet, soft gear change and it’s true the 5th is short.. > Auto > Sport Mode: the speed of the gear change is just amaaaazing. I was used to the 147 Selespeed’s gear change. Guys, I can tell that this car is a rare breed and the technology inside it is 10 times worth the value of every dollar you invest to buy it. City-driving is smooth and cool. The overall driving experience is just fantastic!!!!! good acceleration, steer-feeling, brakes, visibility around you, commands (except the automatic cruise control which is not so ergonomic) Sound System: they replaced the Bose SS by a non-name 8-speaker thing... but the sound quality was quite ok, given the excellent car’s noise insulation. I’ve been told you can integrate you ipod and command its function thru the car’s commands, but I’ll need to see it to believe it. But an Italian car is not Italian for nothing, sometimes the engineers just become too lazy and in this case, they didn’t bother to redesign the middle front armrest console for right-hand driving. so the right-hand 159 comes with a left-hand armrest for the driver, which means the driver can’t rest his left elbow (sorry ladies it’s "his"). That’s the kind of things that makes you think "they’ve done so much to make this car stand out in the croud and failed to modify this tiny detail, which by the way gives the driver an extra comfort especially in city-driving" I can’t understand THIS italian lazyness. Notwithstanding, again, forget the new A4 2008, forget the 3-series (and even the 5 series), they are far more expensive, they don’t give the thrill and joy the Alfa 159 has in its DNA and... what should I say, they’re just an A4 and a BMW... and for me these cars have no character. A GOOD buying argument: ALFA is offering a 5-year warranty on every single piece of the 159 Q2 in Singapore and I can tell you they are not doing it for nothing: This car can only be reliable.

Submitted: 2008-09-10 | ID: 36301

Dave Whitley, Derbyshire

Alfa Romeo 159 1.9 Jtdm Tourismo 2006

It’s just a wonderfully sexy car. Attracts attention and on top of that power is at starting point. Drive the equivalent cars in other makes they don’t have drastic power generation as the Alfa does, but for me I need a looker!!!!

Submitted: 2008-08-04 | ID: 36300

Shah Ali, Yorkshire

Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDM 2008

ITS THE BEST CAR THAT YOU CAN GET BY FAR, My one is actually the TI version but any normal 159’s will compete easily with the best looking sporty BMW’s, Audi’s or Merc’s so imagine comparing with the TI, tut just out of comparison. I advise everyone to drive the 159 just once before deciding on any compact saloon. KEEP UP THE WORK ITALIANS!

Submitted: 2008-08-04 | ID: 36296

Ramsey, Yorkshire

Alfa Romeo 159 2.2 JTS Lusso 2006

My third Alfa (after 155 and 156) and certainly the best. Solid and comfortable, yet great fun. The best possible compromise between ride and handling (only BMW 5 series comes close) and the best break pedal feel of any car I have ever driven. Drawbacks: unnecessarily short 6th gear (3100 rpm at 70 mph) and slight thirst for petrol as I struggle to get more than 31 mpg. Anyone looking to buy a BMW 3 series: don’t before you test drive the Alfa; you will be surprised!

Submitted: 2008-07-21 | ID: 36295

Lee Jones, Leicestershire

Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDm 2007

An object of beauty sprawled out on the drive with it’s seductive grille and headlights, soft leather seats and deep pile carpets. No, this is not the Honda Jazz hire car that I have on loan but my 159 2.4 JTDm which currently has a mind of its own with regard to reliability. For the second time in three weeks it has booked itself into an Alfa hotel for a few days while they try and work out what the problem is. That aside when its not a drama queen this car is all you could want from a motoring experience and i will keep that thought with me while I tootle along the country lanes in my noddy hire car. Being serious for a moment I could quite easily give my Alfa a five star rating just for what it is but I am finding it difficult to contain my frustration with the reliability issue.

Submitted: 2008-05-09 | ID: 36297

Justin Barber, England

Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDm 2007

I bought my 159 with every possible option including the lovely soft Frau Leather seats which are electric and heated. There is navigator, phone, 10 speaker Bose multi CD system, parking sensors everywhere, tri zone air-con and much more. Any German with the same spec would have cost around 30% more. Then it is purely about how the car drives. 70,000 miles in a year (totally trouble free) and I’ve enjoyed every one of them. The car is set up superbly and feels like you are on train tracks with easily corrected understeer. The suspension is firm but much quieter than previous Alfa’s. Lovely gear change and steering which is perfect (fast, responsive and sensitive with tons of feel) so you know what is going on. The 2.4 5cyl diesel is excellent, more potent than many German diesel V6’s I’ve driven the C Class and A4, no competition, the Alfa is much better. If you like the 3 Series it is an excellent car but no better than the Alfa but more expensive. And with the BMW you always look like a bit of a t**t; as Clarkson says "Tom Cruise".

Submitted: 2008-05-02 | ID: 36299

Kelvin Reynolds, Kent

Alfa Romeo 159 JTDM 2007

Jeremy Clarkson described this as the Christopher Walken of cars, the BMW 3 Series was the Tom Cruise. What Clarkson was saying was amongst the hundreds of Walken appearances there are a couple of real diamonds. The latest 159 is one of Alfa’s diamonds.

Submitted: 2008-05-01 | ID: 36298

DD Ray, Yorkshire

Alfa Romeo 159 2.0 litre 2006

I have had to give the 159 a rating of 4 stars based on one thing....reliving history as told by the early racing Alfa Romeo cars that stole the pages of those original critic magazines around europe back in the sixties. If any male out there has not bothered, even wanted to, could not care for, or just aint interested in this marque, then maybe you should give in to your alter ego and book a test drive in one of the latest Alfa 159 saloons. There is something vulgar and rude about this motor but with a sheepish kind of stance, that almost takes you back to the first time you managed to ram your tongue down that pretty girls throat, after drinking cider together, outside of the main hall, before entering the school disco aged fourteen with all of yer mates! Girls...Cars...Speed...Music...yep everything that leads to eternal indulgence and wantedness is wrapped up in this bute of a car. I was going to look for the "poor build", the even poorer "failing electrics", the "tinny feel" along the body panels, you know everything that every critic throws in this brands direction. But...it just did not give me the impression that something was wrong on any of those things. It was a real roomy, smooth, quick off the mark, alternative to the rest of the usual plinth of boredom sat on the shelf in this league. Put your foot down and send the rev counter needle towards the small fixing screw, (8000 revolutions)! and then change gear, it will do this and leap further away on every gear change from 2 to top. It absolutely loves to scream, (yes i know...so did the girls at the school discos)! It doesn’t sit on four wheels, it actually stands waiting to pounce on any stretch of tarmac that you direct it too. Fuel economy was o.k and comfort was well within the boundaries of niceness. The driving position is good, and the overall town driving was really fine. If there are real men out there who would rather not consider an Alfa 159 then that is absolutely fine, but for the rest of you who think back and remember the schoolday tongue lashings, then that same sensation is waiting for you at your local Alfa Romeo dealer...Go on book a test drive...

Submitted: 2008-01-16 | ID: 36294

Rahul Singh, Warwickshire

Alfa Romeo 159 2007

I think this is the best looking car available in the UK market. It also goes like the clappers and in my opinion is far better than the BMW 3 series and the Audi A4. I would recommend the 159 to anybody looking for a powerful, sporty, great looking car.

Submitted: 2007-08-28 | ID: 36293

Alfa Romeo 159

2.0 JTDm 170 BHP Lusso - The Alfa Romeo 159 we drove was very definitely a driver orientated machine and the all new diesel sits very comfortably indeed. The question here is can you have the best of both worlds? Can you have the legendary feel and driving experience of an Alfa with the reliability which gives you peace of [...]

An image of the Alfa Romeo 159 2.0 JTDm 170 BHP Lusso

Alfa Romeo 159

1750 TBi Elegante - Alfa’s sleek and sassy 159 first went on sale in 2006 with a range of five different engines, but there’s now a new 2.0JTDM turbodiesel as well as this new 1750 TBi turbopetrol. Boasting improved power and efficiency over the outgoing 2.2JTS, the TBi is a real charmer.

An image of the Alfa Romeo 159 1750 TBi Elegante