BMW 7-Series consumer car reviews and road tests

BMW 7-Series consumer reviews by year of make: 1995  1999  2001  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2011

BMW 7-Series consumer car reviews

Gary Douglas, Scotland

BMW 7-Series 728i Sport 2001

Bought car and thought it was using a lot of fuel. Petrol tank leaking bad. No new tanks in UK, none in Germany, none in breaker’s yards. Contacted BMW UK and was passed to customer service where I was told it’s not a recognised fault. And it’s because of the year of the car. Numerous other faults: computer electric seats sensors. Nice to drive but so was my old Mercedes E-Class. My advice would be go for the Merchant.

Submitted: 2012-04-23 | ID: 36971

Ahmad Khan, England

BMW 7-Series 2011

Throughout my 25 years of driving experience this surely the best of all the cars I have previously owned. This car is better than you expect it to be. The bad point is the petrol. Very spacious and luxurious, I would strongly recommend anyone to buy it. Boot space is big and the seats are extremely comfortable.

Submitted: 2011-08-30 | ID: 36965

George Lush, Hertfordshire

BMW 7-Series 730 lwb 2006

A beautifully comfortable car with every toy one could wish for. The I-drive is as complicated or easy as you want to make it. Handling and comfort are superb. Overall consumption going in and out of London about 28 mpg. Just a slightly heavy foot can find you into 3 figures very quickly earning me my first 2 speeding fines. The finish is excellent and the only criticism is even buying it with 4 years on the clock depreciation is still rapid. Certainly buying new is for corporate budgets. A tad more speed would be lovely, which seems to be handled well in the new 740i.

Submitted: 2011-08-26 | ID: 36967

Henry Henster, United States of America

BMW 7-Series 750i 2011

This surely is the ultimate driving machine, I love it. Plenty of grunt and space.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-08-22 | ID: 36966

Henry Henmunch, United States of America

BMW 7-Series 750i 2011

Excellent, plenty of space, practical and sporty. The engine sounds great a deep roar from the 4.8 litre v8 under the hood. Great car, just a little too expensive.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-08-15 | ID: 36970

Frank, London

BMW 7-Series Salvaged 735i with V12 1999

When I bought this BMW, it was a wreck. This is because the the engine and gearbox had been blown by a previous driver while running from the police. Now, the car has the V12 and 6 speed manual gearbox from an 8-Series. This, in addition to the custom BBS alloys, the keycode ignition system and the fact that my car is the standard wheelbase, makes my car the only manual V12-powered short-chassis 7 series in existence. The car handles brilliantly and absolutely munches the motorway miles with considerable ease. The car is loaded with features such as heated front and rear leather seats, cruise control, an electric sunroof and a custom made Pioneer stereo system with 6CD autochanger and MP3 connectivity. (Feel free to comment and offer opinions on this superb car).

Hello, how much did it cost you to get a new engine? - Thanks.- Sandeep Kumar from Berkshire.

Submitted: 2011-08-14 | ID: 36968

Otis Turner, United States of America

BMW 7-Series 760li 2011

I have had to spend around $75,000 in repairs on this car; $30,000 in one year at the BMW dealer in Roger, AR, USA. It has been a money pit but I’d hate to sell it and put this on someone; I don’t hate anyone that bad.

Submitted: 2011-02-23 | ID: 36964

Mike Scott, Cheshire

BMW 7-Series 740 IL V8 32V 1995

Best car I’ve ever bought. Loaded with the right gadgets, electric everything, great handling, great performance. My limo licence loser has smoked many boy racers from saxo’s to scooby’s. Being modified at the minute. 6.0l V12, cream leather, 22" rims, full ice upgrade etc. Forget how much it drinks, just buy one. Live it up.

Submitted: 2010-02-06 | ID: 36961

Troy Tempest, Buckinghamshire

BMW 7-Series 730dSE 2009

This is my second 7, having owned a 2006 730dSE. I tried all the competitors, but the 7 series remains the best driver car of them all. The Merc S class probably has the better interior, but driving is all that matters to me, and the new 7 is even better than the one that it replaces.

Submitted: 2009-11-22 | ID: 36963

Laurence, England

BMW 7-Series 750 Li 2008

This is the best car I have ever owned. The car is fully optioned with individual options: dynamic drive, 19 inch wheels, suede roof, double glazed heated windows, ventilated and massaging seats. It has a beautiful sounding engine with incredible power. The 7-Series is amazing, quiet and comfortable. Do yourself a favour and go get one

Submitted: 2009-11-03 | ID: 36962

Kevin Longham, Sussex

BMW 7-Series 745i 2004

I must say that with out this car I would be in the poor line, soup kitchen, or just sleeping rough as it has 100% helped me in my work. Clients love to be picked up in it, and driven around, it instils the confidence in them to believe in me. The drive is amazing, and the iDrive I found was superb. I managed to get used to it in seconds, I also find this car to be a marvel when driving long distances, back ache is a think of the past. I would like to thank BMW for moving always forward ..... Cheers KL

Submitted: 2008-08-26 | ID: 36980

Paul Williams, Somerset

BMW 7-Series 730 d SE LWB 2006

Had this car for 2 years and it has never put a foot wrong. My journeys are sometimes over 700 miles in a day and it can do that on a full tank. I get out at the end every time feeling fine. Space in the back second to none on the LWB model. Tyres have lasted 29k on the rears & still 5mm on the fronts (new ones cost £207 all in). The drive is fine... now for the small moans... centre arm rest is not padded enough and you start to feel it on a long trip, hi-fi should have an iPod connection and... I can’t think of any more. I’m getting a new 08 in July, the same model and I will keep this one for next 3 years. The price on contract hire is just the best value, you would be mad to buy one as I’m paying £505 + VAT and the next deal is at £520 + VAT. Thats a lot of car for the money - is there a better deal around?

Submitted: 2008-05-19 | ID: 36978

Robert Magee, Herefordshire

BMW 7-Series Long wheel base individual 2005

I have been driving the 730 Li 3.0 petrol for three years almost and have just agreed to replace it with the 2008 (short wheel based) 730 D SE. I opted for the individual package in piano black etc, beautiful! There were one or two minor problems such as the side light build going a few weeks after delivery, but because the fix requires the front bumper to be removed I haven’t had the time to get it sorted. The other annoyance was the tyre puncture alert design fault. which meant that you were never sure if you really had a puncture or not. However, the car is a beautiful thing to drive, the Long wheel base does change the overall look of the car as it appears sleaker and lower. my business is numbers and money and I can see little reason to buy the car in anoy other way than through contract hire. Fabulous head turner, tremendous safety features and the I drive become second nature (after a little while anyway).

Submitted: 2008-04-14 | ID: 36979

Paul Gardner, England

BMW 7-Series 2005

Lots of small problems, which are fixed under the 5 yr p&l warranty. Sun roof noise that dealers don't seem to be able to sort out, the most horrendous depreciation you can imagine (£9000 in 9 months) or £850 per month from new to re-sale after 4 yrs). But, what a ride! what great fun to drive and with so many toys to play with long drives are never dull. Economy is not bad with an average of 35mpg; tyres are not cheep (£250 each) so ensure you keep them correctly inflated. All servicing is done under the manufactures 5 yr warranty so no worries but once this expires its time to buy another car or it will cost a fortune to maintain. If your thinking of one then try to avoid BMW finance as their quite expensive, inflexible and there penalties for early termination will put you off buying ever again, seriously consider leasing.

Submitted: 2008-03-06 | ID: 36974

Jonathan, Yorkshire

BMW 7-Series 730D SE 2006

This is the best car I have ever owned. The smoothest gearbox, effortless and rapid acceleration. Quiet and comfortable, it just seems to get better with every mile. Yes, the I -drive can be distracting, but this is a small price to pay. It is quicker than most cars on the road, but this car is all about relaxed comfort. It makes you feel good about yourself. Not the greatest cornering ability at speed...you don’t want to throw this car about. Don’t like the Pirelli tyres....the Goodyear’s give much better grip.

Submitted: 2008-02-01 | ID: 36977

Barry Wiltshire, Yorkshire

BMW 7-Series 2006

Hi this is my first BMW so I went for the 730D previously I have always had S class Mercedes five in total so I thought that it was time for a change the BMW is in a different league it is very fast smooth and very comfortable the technology is amazing voice command etc... Good on fuel what more can you want!!!

You need to drop your sump off and clean it out, it’ll be full of sludge. When you rev the engine it increases the pressure and will pull oil through the system. The pressure drops on idle therefore the oil doesn’t circulate - from England

Submitted: 2008-01-07 | ID: 36975

Antony Webber, Wiltshire

BMW 7-Series 3.0DSE 2006

What a great car especially on long journeys. Supremely smooth, powerful with great road presence and it’s fun to drive. Over 38mpg on long runs, 31 mpg overall with a lot of short journeys. Done over 14,000 miles in 18 months with 100% reliability record and no service bills. The shape could be better especially rear quarter and the dash is ugly. However the car is packed with technology including 10 air bags, bluetooth, voice controls etc. Highly recommended but do lease it as the depreciation will be huge!

Submitted: 2007-11-19 | ID: 36973

Carol Farley, Northumberland

BMW 7-Series 730d SE 2007

Wasn’t overkeen when I first saw the look of it! But this car is about comfort and performance. I was won over on the test drive.

Submitted: 2007-11-05 | ID: 36972

• A response has been made to Frank (14/08/2011 14:26:03)
  • A response has been made to Barry Wiltshire (07/01/2008 11:51:06)

BMW 7-Series

Almost the perfect car, great performance, ride and handling. Build quality and reliability possibly the best on any car in the world. Safe and secure, only the extremely high running costs and poor residuals let it down.

An image of the BMW 7-Series