Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon consumer car reviews and road tests

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon consumer reviews by year of make: 1989  2000  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2012

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon consumer car reviews

John Lee, England

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon Elegance 2004

I have just acquired a c200 elegance and after driving a London cab for over 30 years I am in heaven with this car. It has 90k on the meter, and at my age I may need one more service.

Submitted: 2013-04-28 | ID: 42940

Mike Clewes, Devon

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon C270 CDI Aventgarde SE Auto 2003

I have had this car for 3 years. Only things changed are the thermostat (Oct 2012 ) and both rear springs broken (March 2013), which were only found out at MOT. It has never failed to start and I average 38-40 mpg local driving and the best on a motorway run is 50.4 mpg. It has covered 93,000 miles and is a joy to own and drive. I wish they still made this 5 cylinder engine.

Submitted: 2013-04-25 | ID: 42941

David Road, Lancashire

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon C200 SE 2.2 Cdi Manual 2012

I had this car for 7 months, as a replacement for my Golf. The positives? There are some great deals on leasing for either a 200 or 220 and they seem to be well built and have a decent sized boot for a car this size. However, the car is sluggish and the manual feels heavy duty, may be a C220 automatic may overcome this? The foot operated parking brake rather than either a button or hand brake is a pain. I also have the option Becker Sat Nav, which feels as though the software is from the early 2000’s as, although I have updated it as advised, the data is dated and the operation at best clunky. Although the Becker was included at no extra cost, I would not recommend paying for it as in my opinion the money is better spent on a Tom-Tom or the like as a stand alone system.

Submitted: 2012-11-25 | ID: 42939

Upset Annoyed, England

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon 2010

My C-250 Mercedes is rubbish and has broken down several times with sensor failure, on the last occasion after attending a party when it had been snowing. Other cars, both new and old had no problem driving to thier homes, but my C-250 would not go anywhere. In then end I had to just leave it in the road side and go home by taxi. Rubbish car.

Submitted: 2012-02-10 | ID: 42938

Moo Moo, England

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon C240 2005

Ugly outside and inside, hard ride, bad leather, bad everything. If you want a good small entry level car, get a 3-Series: more power, more everything.

Submitted: 2011-08-31 | ID: 42937

Tony, United States of America

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon C 300 Luxury Sedan 2008

Just beautiful. Best Mercedes I ever had. It’s my fifth after the W201, W124, W210, and W211, and it keeps its value great!

Submitted: 2011-04-28 | ID: 42928

Jonathan Gregory, England

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon sport c220 2007

Had my C-Class for about 4 months, bought second hand from Merc dealers. It’s black and every other car now seems to be just like mine. My only complaints are small amounts of vibration through steering wheel as car revs up the auto gears and only 27 mph around town, 43 on motorway.

Submitted: 2011-02-21 | ID: 42927

Leo Simon, United States of America

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon 2010

I want to echo John’s comments about this car’s performance in the snow. We came to the UK during the bad winter storm, Christmas 2010, and paid a huge premium to rent a premium car that would handle well in the bad conditions. Silly us. The automatic version of this car is a total disaster in the snow. It can’t get up the slightest incline, and by slight I mean 1%. You can floor the accelerator to try to make some progress and....no response, nada, the engine won’t even turn over. Would anybody take this car from us in exchange for a beat-up old mini or something?

I think you will find that any rear wheel drive car is crap in snow and ice and being an auto makes that fact even worse. Did you tell the lease hire company that you would like something sure footed in bad weather or did you just take it for granted that being a Merc it will drive through any weather conditions. You can’t blame the tool for performing badly if its the wrong tool for the job - Jonnie Love from England

Submitted: 2010-12-24 | ID: 42931

John, Essex

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon cdi 220 avantgarde 2006

Beautifully made with excellent road holding, it is a good quality car and drives well in the wet and dry but if there is snow or ice on the road best to leave the car at home as it is undriveable. No rear wheel car is going to cope very well in snow or ice but this Mercedes is just useless in those conditions and winter driving with an Auto box requires a combination of manual changes and on/off ESP to maintain control while keeping speeds below 20mph The interior may be big but I still feel cramped with my long legs. Controls are well laid out but the foot-operated parking brake is awkward to use. Other then that the Mercedes 2.1 diesel engine delivers over 42mpg, high performance 145mph and Standard equipment from Mercedes is a 5 speed automatic transmission with cruise control and Speedtronic variable speed limiter, with electrically operated seats and the dual zone climate control make the interior just a lovely cosy cabin the ride. The effortless performance far outweighs the negatives, let’s hope we don’t get too much snow in the winter.

Submitted: 2010-12-07 | ID: 42930

Syd Taylor, Staffordshire

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon C 220 CDi BlueEFFICIENCY Executive SE Saloon 2010

Blue Riband beauty from the ’Silver Star’ redefines the concept of automotive cruising where you have the luxury of abundant comfort, the reassurance of impeccable engineering and the status-enhancing ambiance that only one of the world’s prime manufacturers can create. Add to this an astonishing combination of high performance (up to 145mph when needed) and remarkable economy of over 64mpg in the extra urban cycle and you’re left wondering just how much do you need to pay for a perfect package of this kind. The answer is - astonishingly - a lot less than you might think. This 2.2 litre four cylinder diesel comes in at £28,580 which is just £2,685 more than a top spec. Mondeo saloon (without extras). BlueEfficiency is Mercedes-speak for cutting edge lightweight design and energy management technology, with super efficient aerodynamics, engine optimisation, the use of lower rolling resistance tyres and other wizardry to cut emissions and improve economy. Is this possibly the best motoring package available at the moment? I’m tempted to think so. After all, where else can you find such versatility coupled with legendary refinement and all those ’feel good’ extras that are associated with this historic marque? Standard equipment from Mercedes sets the standard that leaves other manufacturers gasping to catch up and the SE comes with 5 speed automatic transmission with cruise control and Speedtronic variable speed limiter, all the safety equipment you’ll ever need, including an Agility Control Package with selective damping system and airbags everywhere. For your comfort, electrically operated seats and dual zone climate control make the interior just a lovely and calm place to be. But confronted with a twelve button multi-function steering wheel, I confess that as a correspondent of venerable age I look forward to the day when zips replace buttons in cars - as we all know they have done on items of apparel for many years. In appearance, the C Class saloon is one of those stimulating cars that actually appears to be in motion when standing still. Its copious rubber - affixed to 16" alloy wheels - is reined in by tastefully purposeful wheel arches and the lower valance air scoop resembles a maw which will gobble up the competition. Front end styling as a whole achieves a perfect balance between traditional iconography and twenty first century efficiency. It’s imposing without being overly aggressive - but when you see one of these in your rear view mirror, you’ll be tempted to move over. Opening the door and allowing yourself to be accommodated into the roomy and sumptuous interior, made even better on the test car thanks to extra cost powered and heated seats with a memory package linked to steering column and door mirror position, you need no persuading that all the hallmarks of true quality are in place: you don’t get any ’Cuprinol Brown’ faux wooden cappings in a car of this quality. And to make life even better, £4215 worth of extras increased the delights. A test drive simply leaves you ready for much more: there’s too much to savour to gulp down at once. The beautiful ride, the effortless performance, the unrivalled comfort, the relaxed sense of well-being that you derive from being ’at one’ with the very best. During my time with the C Class I noted in my contacts with my fellow man that never once was I addressed as ’mate’: a deferential ’sir’ being the default mode of address. This was in spite of my deliberately affected ’man-of-the-people’ persona. ’But I’m just an ordinary bloke’ I tried to convey in unspoken ways - and the reply was ’You can’t be to have a car like that. You can’t fool me. You must be somebody special’. And, indeed, by the end of my all too brief acquaintance I was inclined to agree. This was all down to C Class Executive silver dust - Palladium Silver Metallic dust, that is. This is definitely lined up to be the preferred mode of transport for someone who has ’arrived’ and wants to let you know without shouting it from the rooftops. In other words, it bespeaks understated elegance and well-mannered masterfulness. The owner of one of these is the sort of person who gets things done - and when it comes to assembling a most impressive motoring package, Mercedes certainly got their job done right. Now - where can I find one of my very own?

Submitted: 2010-10-23 | ID: 42929

Dave Dundass, Warwickshire

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon C320CDI 2008

This is a serious car; stylish, well built and equipped and very very fast. My wife has a 2005 E320 CDI, which is a far more comfortable car but lacks the performance of the C320. I bought mine from Mercedes with 9k on the clock and saved about £10k - bargain. Fully loaded with COMMAND sat nav, heated seats, voice recognition, heated seats and panoramic roof it really is a wolf in sheeps clothing. If there is a downside it is savage on tyres which is probably down to my driving and short round town drive journeys.

Submitted: 2010-09-13 | ID: 42933

Peter Clarke, Buckinghamshire

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon C320 Avantgarde 2006

My third C Class, fell in love with the 220 CDi, hated the Estate and then bought this beast. I have now done 75k and have had to change the pre heater coils, and that’s it! Had the same problem with the 220 also at about 30k, but there were only 4, this time there were 6. 38.5 mpg since I bought it and it embarrasses many other cars - it is seriously quick and pulls right through the 7 gears. Until you get to a corner of course when you want to turn but the engine wants to go straight on. My only other complaint is that you need to keep the revs up at around 3000 to avoid horrendous turbo lag when wanting to overtake, but unbeatable for motorway cruising and avoiding getting stuck in slow moving traffic. Comfy four seater, takes 2 sets of golf clubs and trolleys in the boot. I have never suffered from the poor build quality that has been talked about in other reviews.

Submitted: 2010-07-30 | ID: 42934

Alan Heath, Norfolk

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon 190D 1989

I have owned a 190D for eleven years and had very little trouble with it - it has been an excellent companion. Very low on fuel consumption around 5.5 litres/100km, servicing very cheap - especially using second hand parts. Very comfortable to drive. My problem is the shape. I need something to transport a bicycle which I have become addicted to and I do not like stripping it every time I want to go out for a quick spin in the country. So I need to get a van. Sad to get rid of the 190D - 21 years old and residual value low so I would prefer to give it away to a friend.

Submitted: 2010-07-27 | ID: 42935

Terry Bailey, England

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon C220 CDI 2008

Beautiful looking machine. Very chuckable with very assured handling and excellent fuel economy. Slightly more road noise than my earlier C220 CDI but that is to be expected given the wider section rubber. Perhaps an experiment with different tyres may improve matters ie Yokohama Db’s. Overall a very talented car and a nicer image than a BMW.

Submitted: 2010-07-26 | ID: 42936

Monsoor Shah, England

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon 2007

This car is really poor. The car is an embarrassment on icy roads. Poor handling, you have to turn the ESP off when driving on high gradients. The fuel consumption is not very good as stated by Mercedes. Broken down a few times with the engine management system. It seems Mercedes have cut corners in manufacturing this model. Would not recommend this even to an ex Lada driver!

Absolutely agree. I bought mine 4 mths ago. Awful problems with fuel injectors so got a courtesy car. The diesel is not as stated, a cheap version of the older - Tony Smith from Kent

No rear wheel car is going to operate very well in snow /ice but this Mercedes is just damn dangerous in those conditions. Driver controls are very awkward and winter driving with an Auto box requires a combination of on/off ESP with slipping in/out of Neutral to maintain control while keeping speeds below 3mph. My first and last Merc! - Adam Smith from Cheshire

The driver controls are fine, I have a C240 auto. I’m not sure what your roads are like, but we’ve just had the worst snow and ice in years here in Newcastle and my car has been fine on both main roads and untreated estate streets. Just put it in winter mode and press the accelerator gently - it has traction control to put the power to the wheel with most grip and will build up speed slowly and safely if you let it. Just now my street is like an ice rink with water on top of solid ice and the car is fine unless I hammer the accelerator or yank on the wheel - David Satterthwaite from England

Submitted: 2009-12-26 | ID: 42921

John Watson, Bedfordshire

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon c class estate sport 250cgi 2009

My fourth Mercedes C Class and this is the best so far, the only fault is the flasher switch is faulty, when returning from left hand turn the right hand indicater comes on making both flashers working together. I have had a new switch fitted two months ago but to my disappointment the fault has returned; has anyone else experienced the same fault the car is less than 3 months old?

Not quite the same fault but the Flasher Control unit is the pits. Mine won’t work properly 100% of the time but according to MB and my dealer it’s OK, I’m not using the switch properly!!! - Adam Smith from Cheshire

Submitted: 2009-12-21 | ID: 42925

Adam Smith, Cheshire

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon C220 2008

Beautifully made with excellent road holding, the car is spoiled by a poor ride at speed. Motorway cruising is simply not as relaxed as my previous Volvo’s although somewhat quieter. The interior may be bigger than earlier models but I can still feel cramped when I look upwards to the interior light cluster; it’s awfully close to my eyes. Controls are well laid out but the foot-operated parking brake is ridiculous and forces a change of driving style. Parktronic is implemented poorly with insufficient aural clues. Generally I would say build quality is over-rated now that the competition (including Ford Mondeo) have raised their game.

Submitted: 2008-07-08 | ID: 42945

Harrie Sellars, Rutland

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon C 200 CDI SE 2008

My C Class is the fourth of its generation. I opted for the diesel and the 40+ MPG. The high quality is evident in every aspect of this car. The steering is more responsive than in previous models and the ride is smooth and comfortable. I think that the price tag of around £22,000 offers good value for money and decent residual values make it a sound option when buying or leasing. The C Class is a spacious, comfortable car with a respectable selection of engines.

Submitted: 2008-05-01 | ID: 42943

Martin Hughes, Cambridgeshire

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon 180 Kompressor SE 2008

Another well designed car from Mercedes. I’ve had this for only two weeks but already it has impressed me. This car can really work when you need to push it and goes like a bat out of hell when you want it to. It’s a very understated car unlike the BMW 3-series but it’s all there in the drive and it’s no less fun for being, dare I say, slightly classier. Excellent safety features as you’d expect and want in a family car and great use of space too. MPG is in the 40’s bracket so all good there too. Excellent car.

Submitted: 2008-04-23 | ID: 42942

Mike Hague, Lancashire

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon C 320 Avantgarde Auto 2006

Just about to say goodbye to my C320 which has provided outstanding trouble free motoring for the last two years. Exhilarating ride, superb comfort and awesome acceleration. Could not fault this vehicle even if I tried hard, its a beautiful car to drive offering luxurious finish and status. I am about to take delivery of my new E-Class and hope that it is just as good as the vehicle I have enjoyed for the last few years. Previous vehicle was a 5 Series BMW 525 Dse Auto, not a patch on the Mercedes for Style, Comfort, Power and most importantly Looks and Quality feel. Well done Mercedes !!!!!

Submitted: 2008-04-21 | ID: 42944

Robert Edmons, Scotland

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon C Class 250 2000

I always wanted one, and only if it was white in colour, it had to be the 5 cylinder version, turbo diesel with intercooler , 5 speed automatic, even the back head rests pop down via a switch, the boot (trunk to our friends in the States) pops up on the key fob function...etc, etc etc... even the washer bottle is so big it would last a Siberian Winter without needing to fill it up!!! And I was lucky and managed to get it!!! (Thanks to Clydesdale Bank in Scotland for 4 years car loan mode) in a place called Trade Sales in Slough ..near London many many MANY years ago (actually 7 years ago) and I still have it.!!!. WHY, because it is still, after all these years , ’as good as new’. We know the saying...a happy life = a happy WIFE, well I got this vehicle for my other half and pal (my wife) all these years ago, (p.s .she is still my wife and we’re still pal’s) she (and I include myself) do not want to get rid of it for any reason, why, the sound of the engine and absolutely fault free reliability (apart from a fault in the diesel glow plug relay box / system which cost just under £180 pounds to fix at an Independent just a couple of weeks ago...goodness a failure!!!) and this is all l have paid out in repairs in 7 years of trouble free motoring, then it’s worth it!. What more can I say. OK, it’s not done a lot of miles, it’s cost a set of tyres (or 2..maybe 3 until I got the alignment fixed out) but it is still fab and the underneath is still as good as new...so why change it. ...some sort of 30 year anti rust thingy, something ...whatever? Excellent vehicle and if you can get the MB Tex interior (OK, it’s the taxi spec so I am informed from a taxi aficionado) so much the better. I am lucky to have had and still have this Mercedes Benz C Class 250 TD Classic auto version and have no doubts I will have it for a wee while yet...well done MB, an absolute peach / credit to Engineering and quality.......just wish I had the £ to get the recent new one equivalent... unfortunately Mr Darling and Mr Brown tax me so much that much I can’t afford a new one and if they continue to tax me / us any more we all won’t be able to afford anything!!!!!) ...(sorry for being rather political) however, I just hope it’s as good as the old one!!!! PS... Do not tow a caravan with it (auto version)..It is not meant for this purpose unless you have shares in Saudi Arabia / Esso and B.P. including ASDA and Tesco (not forgetting Morrison’s and Sainsbury Diesel pumps all at the same time!!!l)..sure it will get you anywhere in this side of time without effort but your Visa / MasterCard will be red hot and burnt out at the end of your return journey including contributing to the ’sub prime mortgage’ thingy disaster credit squeeze ...otherwise, as a local or motorway car on its own with the family or pals, it’s perfect ... and thanks for taking the time to read my experience / ramblings and hopefully a bit of harmless silly fun with this other pal of mine my C250!!

Submitted: 2008-01-14 | ID: 42950

Mick Jaeger, Essex

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon C280 Elegance 2007

Solidly built, smooth engine, autobox likewise, great ride, the new COMAND module is superb and the Linguatronics is spot on. Oh, and the fuel consumption is surprising economical compared with the 3 litre S type this Merc replaced. The new C class at last gives the BMW 3 series some much needed competition. My only niggle is that the sliding cover on the compartment in the centre console is not colour co-ordinated for the reef grey interior - it’s black! Despite this it does exactly what it says on the tin and was very, very close to getting a 5 star rating.

Submitted: 2008-01-14 | ID: 42951

Alain Blanc, Buckinghamshire

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon 180 Kompressor SE 2007

I’m lucky enough to have this as my company car. It’s roomy, classy, quick, safe and exciting to drive. I would not buy this car as I think it is overpriced but should definately be considered from a leasing perspective.

Submitted: 2007-11-06 | ID: 42948

Adam Bailey, Conwy

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon 280 V6 SE Auto 2007

EuroNcap 5 stars, always worth noting. Smooth ride, performance is good and spacious, luxury feel inside. I feel better off for just owning one.

Submitted: 2007-11-02 | ID: 42947

Will Buckley, Conwy

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon 220cdi se Auto 2007

What a difference a new model makes! Miles better than the old car, looks just like a smaller S-Class. Really refined and very affordable on Contract Hire and leasing deals due to strong residuals.

Submitted: 2007-10-22 | ID: 42946

Mark Benson, Cheshire

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon Mercedes-Benz C 280 SE 2007

Stylish, solid and responsive. Does everything I need it to and does it incredibly well.

Submitted: 2007-08-07 | ID: 42949

• A response has been made to Leo Simon (24/12/2010 15:58:16)
  • A response has been made to Monsoor Shah (26/12/2009 21:34:45)

• "I have a 59 plate Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon and the only problem I have is with the engine management light. Initially the light came on, it had a..." (Mo Ali, 01/04/2014 14:32:05)
  • "When I start my Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon sometimes the turbo charger kicks in at the same time but sometimes does not. What might the problem be?..." (Briliat Ndhlovu, 25/03/2014 11:15:44)
  • "My Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon won’t start. I changed the fuel pump and it starts and moves well for 2 days and then it won’t start again. What coul..." (Chukwudi Anyasi, 17/03/2014 12:00:45)
  • "I just bought my Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon. It drove fine for 2 days but now there`s a lack of power. I press the gas pedal and get no acceleratio..." (Nataniel, 17/01/2014 15:05:32)
  • "After 10 days of not driving my Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon would not open. I tried to use the small metal key but it won’t open either. I’ve been t..." (Vladimir Ivanov, 10/01/2014 11:27:48)

• Wesley Stephenson's question has been answered: "I had the same problem not long ago, I changed the Air Mass Meter and it workrd a treat. Don't let a garage change it cos its only two screws to und - Bill Williams from Nottinghamshire' '..." (13/10/2014 19:11:22)
  • Gary Workman's question has been answered: "Springs take time to settle/bed in. - al from Warwickshire' '..." (13/07/2014 14:24:40)

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon

Mercedes has subtly shifted the emphasis of its core C-Class model towards economy and cleanliness as the larger engines are quietly sidelined. In their place come greener and leaner petrols and diesels, with a company driver-friendly diesel offering 117g/km CO2 emissions. Fear not, though, as the C [...]

An image of the Mercedes-Benz C-Class Saloon