Mercedes-Benz S-Class consumer car reviews and road tests

Mercedes-Benz S-Class consumer reviews by year of make: 2000  2006  2007  2008  2009  2012

Mercedes-Benz S-Class consumer car reviews

Frank DiLascia, United States of America

Mercedes-Benz S-Class 2012

Best car I have ever driven and I have had many makes! A Great Automobile In Every Sense.

Submitted: 2012-06-01 | ID: 43075

Malcolm Place, Sussex

Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 2000

I have owned an S430 for six years. The rust round the wheel arches is a major problem, even when stored in a garage. It’s not something that one expects with a car costing 60K upwards in year 2000. It is fitted with adaptive cruise, which was great when I first bought the car but the computer prognosis suggests that the fault could be the auto box and or the radar unit both being cost prohibitive to replace. The car is superbly quiet comfortable and easy to drive, but I have doubts about what will fail next. If other manufacturers can make reliable cars albeit when they are 10 years old, Mercedes needs to put more into quality control especially when one considers the price charged. I have considered another S.H. ’S’ Class but the reliability of the new 7 speed auto puts me off.

Submitted: 2011-11-07 | ID: 43074

Scott Reiley, Warwickshire

Mercedes-Benz S-Class s500l 2006

Do not buy a Mercedes S Class. Purchased my car from an approved dealer, within a month there was water ingress in the passenger footwell causing all the heater controls to blow. Water ingress is not usually covered by warranty and it had been caused by leaves building up in the drainage channels at the base of the screen. a common problem with Mercedes cars. A few months later the car almost killed me when all the electrical circuits failed while driving down a hill. As the gear selector and handbrake is electronic there is no way of putting the handbrake on or placing the car in park. I sat on the hill for twenty minutes before the car eventually started. The car is only three months out of warranty and guess what, Mercedes are charging me for diagnostics. They have had the car for three weeks and still are unable to diagnose what is causing the problem. This potentially lethal design flaw could cause serious harm or injury. Will be going to Audi or BMW instead.

Hi, same problem here but it caused £3k worth of damage, the drain holes under the bonnet were blocked - Graham Macfarlane from Angus (Forfarshire)

I own a S320 2009 model and the water pours in at the nearside wing. I put the problem down to the drain at the top of the bonnet clogging up, and the only real way to clear it is to take off the wheel arch to get proper access to the bottom of the drain. I had the same problem on my previous S 500L. Great car, but these problems should have been addressed with a bigger drain and easier access. - Jim Smith from Lothians

Submitted: 2010-11-27 | ID: 43071

Katie Shamloo, England

Mercedes-Benz S-Class 2009

I love this car so much and it’s a strong make of car to buy because it is a German car and cool to buy.

Great car. Just a word to say, that the Mercedes S 250 cdi is a brilliant car for everyone. This car and cars like it are what people want. Prestige, luxury and safety with 60mpg, low CO2 and low running costs. What more could you ask for? Maybe in time to come the Mercedes S 200 cdi will be on our roads too. Great work Mercedes. Mercedes S 250 CDI, Car of the year 2012. Regards - Colin McDonnell from Ireland

Submitted: 2010-04-15 | ID: 43069

Alex Checkowski, Warwickshire

Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 2000

Owned from new, now 10 years old and 120,000 miles on her. Serviced myself at manufacturer intervals and it she has never broke down. No rust issues, mechanical or electrical. I would sell / buy now but as th car costs me nothing and a new ones is £70k+ whats the point?

My dear friend, I found a car, Mercedes Benz S 320 year of make 2000 with 35 000 miles . It looks wonderful ( dark blue ). Do you recommend it ? I have a BMW 530  year of make 2002 and a BMW 325 coupe year of make 1994 but one of my dreams is to drive a Mercedes. What is your advice? From the argentine pampas - Daniel Messina from Argentina

Submitted: 2010-01-19 | ID: 43067

Michael Smyth, Staffordshire

Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320CDi 2000

Piece of c**p!! I wish I still had my old E300 turbodiesel! Where do I start? I’ve had this vehicle five years now, bought from a dealer, mileage now 140,000. Very unsightly rust on all four wheel arches. MB not interested enough to act. A/C packed in - no simple recharge required. ABS packed in. Front suspension almost collapsed - multiple causes... EL system packed in. Something in the turbo or exhaust has now packed in causing acceleration to be way down, and kick-down no longer does anything... Power steering intermittent, as are about 3 other faults... need to disconnect battery to reset everything monthly. Battery (new one) flattens after 10 days locked and alarmed. Parking brake jams on. SatNav only ’wakes up’ after 70 minutes of driving. Fuel consumption on trip computer is like surreal fiction - it bears no relation to miles covered and fuel used. Must be there purely for feel-good factor.

You are an idiot! your car is 9 years old and done 140k what do you expect. if you had bought it new and paid what most of us do for the security of a new car then fair enough ! truth is you bought it at 4 years old for little money thinking how clever you were and what fools pay new price? Well the joke’s on you loser. Buy a focus next time skinflint - dum dum from England

I have been recently looking for an S320Cdi circa 2002-2004 and have now tried several but not yet taken the plunge. I have been put off by seeing 2 full service history low milers at dealers with rust bubbles on their wheel arches and another beside me in traffic that had visible rust patches in several places. I was also informed by a well respected local dealer of prestige cars that it was well known in the motor trade that problems of rust were common with this model as well as other faults. Mercedes are all about quality and longevity and should do in excess of 200,000 miles without major problems. But sadly their quality slipped very badly during the early part of this decade as has well documented elsewhere. So be warned and draw your own conclusions regarding the ignorance, pomposity and rudeness displayed by the previous person’s ill informed comments. However, still a very nice car providing you chose carefully - Fred Kite from England

Submitted: 2009-07-28 | ID: 43078

Jake King, Warwickshire

Mercedes-Benz S-Class 320 2008

I agree with Stephen Hardaways comments - simply the best car you can drive. The sensors made parking this large vehicle child’s play. I could go on but no point - try it you will not want to give it back.

Submitted: 2009-05-05 | ID: 43077

Stephen Hardaway, London

Mercedes-Benz S-Class 5.4 V8 2007

Quality all the way. Space and beautiful interior do not remotely compromise the drive and performance. Absolutely the best car you could drive.

Submitted: 2007-11-23 | ID: 43076

• A response has been made to Scott Reiley (27/11/2010 15:08:13)
  • A response has been made to Katie Shamloo (15/04/2010 14:57:01)

• "Hey there, my 1998 Mercedes S500 will not accelerate pass 40 mph when gas pedal is to the metal. But on normal driving there’s no problem. All fluids..." (Jaime Gio, 16/09/2013 13:30:42)
  • "My 2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500`s front end is lowering itself on it`s own and I have to stop alomg the road to wait for the airmatic to kick in t..." (Wendy Lopp, 25/05/2012 09:37:22)
  • "There is rust now appearing under my Mercedes-Benz S-Class’s boot bonnet. I was told by the main dealer that this does not come under the guarantee. ..." (Michael Vale, 30/01/2012 14:33:36)

• Jaime Gio's question has been answered: "Hi, my car is too. What did you do to fix it? - ferank from Argyll and Bute' '..." (26/06/2014 09:08:20)
  • Michael Vale's question has been answered: "I know how you feel, I have a S500LWB 1999 model. I have the same problem, also the rust has started at the bottom of the doors. I asked my friend, wh - Balkrishan Birdi from Oxfordshire' '..." (05/11/2012 09:25:43)

BMW 7-Series