Renault Megane Sport Tourer consumer car reviews and road tests

Renault Megane Sport Tourer consumer reviews by year of make: 2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012

Renault Megane Sport Tourer consumer car reviews

Cenk Goktalay, Turkey

Renault Megane Sport Tourer 2012

Dear All, I purchased my 2012 Renault Megane Sport Tourer with big enthusiasm because I loved the design and the general look and quality of the vehicle. Unfortunately, the part about the quality changed after I purchased the car. Only after 600 km. I started getting huge noise problems from the doors. Over a period of 7 months I took it in 8 times, 6 times for the noise issue related to the doors and the sunroof. They changed the door seals and the seals for the sunroof. Partially, it was fixed, however, the noise issue still continues to a certain extent making the care feel like I am driving a 10 year old bad quality vehicle. The other two times were for the noise issue from the dashboard and noise issue from the axle. These two, they were able to fix, however, as I mentioned the interior noise from the doors remains and it gets worse by day. There seems to be nothing left that they can do. Head office Turkey is terrible. They pretend to care, but they do nothing. On the other hand, the engine, transmission and the general drive of the vehicle is very good. My suggestion is, don’t buy one unless you trust your luck.

Hello Cenk, I had the similar problem; there is noise which I can hear (because one of my ears is deaf like a post) and others can not hear this noise coming from back side; like a rumor coming from a deep cave... It gets worse when the road surface is not smooth; When I listen over dashboard no noise comes in the front end; but where I drive I can clearly hear a very much disturbing noise such as "glugluglu." They run a test drive but technician could not hear it. I have been using the same car but older version: 2010 and there was no noise at all with good year tyres. This time they use Continental conti sport contact... I do not know what to do but use it... - Taner Sayin from Turkey

Submitted: 2012-12-16 | ID: 46347

Steve, Lancashire

Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.9DCi 120 Dynamique 2007

This is my second Megane Tourer. My first was a 2003, one owner car from Ireland with 112k on the clock. It had had a hard life towing and it was not looked after particularly well. However, it was 8 years old when I bought it and only £800 with FSH! I still have it now as a tow car for my race bike transporter. It needs a new clutch (now on 128k on the original clutch!). Apart from that I had to fit a new turbo when I bought it, hence getting it so cheap. My 07 model my wife uses day in, day out and it has been faultless apart from a couple of expected issues with any second hand car. It’s just had its second cam belt at 80k miles and I’ve had to strip and refurbish the rear calipers. It’s just had its first set of replacement front discs at 84k miles. Can you believe that? 84k miles from a set of discs? Brilliant!

Submitted: 2012-11-11 | ID: 46346

Phil, Wales

Renault Megane Sport Tourer DCI1.5 2007

Now at 80k miles my Megane Sport Tourer averages 55miles per gallon (52 local and 54-58 motorways and cross country). It’s had three new windows, but these were replaced by Renault under warranty; they said it was a batch of poor widow motors. The boot now stuck shut. It does everything a car should, but will I have another? No! Because of such ridiculous processes such as the need to take put it on a garage ramp to change a headlamp resulting in a £45 bill at the Renault dealer - although it is guaranteed for 12 months!

Submitted: 2012-06-28 | ID: 46345

Marcis, Ireland

Renault Megane Sport Tourer GT Line 1.5 dci 2011

I bought this car 6 months ago and I love it. It’s very economical, very good in corners and for a price very well equiped. I know it’s French, but they finally started to build good quality cars. It is only 6 months old, but if anything goes wrong, I will post.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2012-02-02 | ID: 46344

Tracy, England

Renault Megane Sport Tourer 2005

I have a 55 plate Renault Megane sports tourer with 38,000 miles on the clock. I bought it 2 years ago with 19,000 miles on the clock. We have had nothing but problems with it since. It’s been serviced regularly and looked after, but now things seem to be going wrong. The cam belt needed changing, the head gasket went, the gear box got replaced and now the engine is juddering causing the whole car to shake violently with all the engine management lights coming on! I have paid 2 years finance on it and still have 2 years to pay! I cannot afford to get the car fixed and grudge paying for a car that is not in working order. I now question whether Renault knew that the car was not in the best of condition when they sold me it and why the previous owner traded it in at 19000 miles. Stay clear of this make and model!

Submitted: 2011-12-22 | ID: 46342

Steve Green, London

Renault Megane Sport Tourer 106 dci tomtom dynamique 2010

Hi! I bought the car new in July 2010 after having an earlier 2008 model. From day one this car has suffered with clutch noise when the pedal is pressed down. I returned it to the dealer for a checkup and after keeping it for diagnostics (lol) for 3 days it was returned back to me saying it was a characteristic of that model and not to worry as they all sound the same. complaint after complaint followed for the same fault and finally after 15 months and Renault Technical, France getting involved my dealer wants to take my car back in for another look at it. Great news, only there is a good chance that they are going to keep it over Christmas if they have to order some ’special parts’. Great cars, but rubbish customer service. Update to follow when I get it back.

Submitted: 2011-12-19 | ID: 46343

Simon H, Somerset

Renault Megane Sport Tourer Dynamique 1500 DCI 100BHP 2004

I bought this car new in September 2004, but had to wait for 6 weeks as there weren’t any available. Renault delivered on time with 11 miles on the clock. The car has now done 130,000 miles and is still going strong. There have been a few issues: Drivers window opened itself and wouldn’t close. Passenger door leaked into the door pocket. Injector light kept coming on. Renault sorted out the issues quickly. The injector light still comes on if I use Supermarket petrol, so I don’t. I must say I love the car. It carries me and my family, surf boards, camping gear, suitcases and the kitchen sink. It never complains and starts first time, every time. Still looks good inside and out. I am now looking for another one. Yes they are Renaults. Yes they aren’t perfect but I have mine serviced at Ford and they tell me it will last forever. If you want one buy one. Don’t let others tell you it’s no good. Be aware they need to be driven quite hard as they don’t like pottering about. If you need a short distance car don’t buy the diesel as it will clog up the particle filters. Low tax, good fuel consumption, low insurance. Love it.

Submitted: 2011-12-05 | ID: 46341

Debbie Tillman, Kent

Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.5 dci 100 expression 2008

Well what can I say? IT’S EXCELLENT! I Bought this car second-hand on the 18th of Aug 11 and I love it. There are only two things that I’m getting the garage to put right, under warranty: The back driver’s side window came down when I locked the car and I’m currently waiting for Renault to get the part in; also the clutch pedle keeps getting stuck at the bottom, but so far that’s it. My break pads squeal, but that’s because they’re hard pads so I can’t complain, at least you know when I’m around, lol! It’s really good on fuel around town and on the motorway. In my old petrol car I was putting in £10 every 2 days, but this diesel car has had £70 worth of fuel in the last 14 days there’s still 1/2 tank left. It cruises in 5th and has the pulling power if needed. It’s really comfy and quiet. There are 3 seatbelts in the back so there’s room for 3 adults, if you have a child seat then theres room for 2 thin passingers in the back (if your big then you get a bit squashed). I had a Renault Megane Coupe before and had to trade it in for this as there’s so much more room and I’m loving the 4 doors and big boot. There are two drinks holders and the cubby holes in the front under your feet brilliant for storing the kids stuff and there’s also storage in the doors. There’s no key, its a card system, you just put the card in press the start button and off you go. So far it’s a brilliant car, 5 stars. It’s even shut my too kids up!!

Just to say the car is a 2005 not 2008. Six months tax costs £52.25 of £90 for a full year. I still love driving it. I would totally recommend buying one, it will be the most economical car you will buy! Good luck, hope this helps! - Debbie Tillman from Kent

Submitted: 2011-09-07 | ID: 46339

John Holden, Dorset

Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.5 dCi 110 2005

A superb compromise car combining reasonable performance (among the best in its class), good economy (62mpg on long trips, 50mpg around town), very comfortable, very quiet, loads of carrying space, excellent access. Have now done over 80,000 miles and it has never let me down. So far, only items regarded as "consumables" have needed replacing. I would have given it 5 stars if it wasn’t for the following one irritating fault. It eats headlamp bulbs, and there is absolutely no point in carrying replacement bulbs because it has to go up on a ramp to have them replaced! It is a great pity that an almost perfect mid-range vehicle has been spoiled by this design fault.

Changing headlight bulbs is a ten minute job. OK, it’s not as straight forward as older cars, but what new car is? You don’t need the car up on ramps! All you need to do is have the steering on full lock, remove the access panel in the wheel arch and put your hand inside. Remove the bulb cover, remove plug, unclip and withdraw. Fit the new bulb in reverse. Yes, it’s a bit fiddly at first but it beats paying a minimum of half hour’s labour at a garage - from Lancashire

Submitted: 2011-05-03 | ID: 46335

Matty, England

Renault Megane Sport Tourer 2007

Nothing but trouble with my battery for the last three months. I’ve put a new battery on twice, but still being drained by something. Checked all the usual things that can drain a battry but I’ve left nothing on.

Submitted: 2011-03-09 | ID: 46337

Jamie Wilson, Conwy

Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.6 2006

Hi! I bought my Renault Megane Sports Tourer 1.6 56 plate a year ago for around 7 grand. I was a bit sceptical of it with rumours with the accessability of the light bulbs; that’s one problem as the main head light bulbs keep blowing, but other than that a really reliable car. Even on motorways in 5th gear it still has more power, which you can feel when you put your foot down. I only drive 6 miles a day to work and back but very impressed with this machine, love it. It’s a great car, very roomy and an all round decent family car. I have done a lot of motorway driving to gigs and other things, nice smooth ride.

Submitted: 2011-01-09 | ID: 46338

Nigel Mallet, Dorset

Renault Megane Sport Tourer 2009

Purchased the new Renault Megan Sports Tourer in October 2009. January 2010 started car up and and it was very juddery, took it to the Renault garage in Yeovil where car was purchased and was told the fly wheel and clutch needed replacing, unbeliveable for a car less then 3 months old. At the end of November 2010 started car up , juddery again, here we go!!!! same problem as before, couldnt believe it, phoned Renault customer services and was told the problem would be sorted, and maybe it was the way the car was being driven; I’m not a teenager!! This time they replaced the fly wheel again!! The good thing is it’s under warranty still, but what happens when warranty runs out? Not taking the chance, trading it in!!

Submitted: 2010-12-07 | ID: 46332

Gary Watson, Hertfordshire

Renault Megane Sport Tourer Dynamique 1.9 dci 130 2006

Hi, To non owners these cars are constantly slated yet its funny how most of the owner reviews I have just read are very good! I purchased my 06 Sport Tourer 1.9 dci 130 2 years old with 14000 miles on the clock for £8000 (quite a saving on the 17K list price!). My Megane has now done 50K miles with only a few problems both covered under warranty. First problem was water ingress collecting in passenger foot well due to a blockage in the air conditioning drain which was down to a blocked scully drain originally. Second fault was with the handbrake lever which was tricky to disengage. I have had my megane remapped to 165bhp from 20k miles and still return 38mpg from spirited b road driving and up to 58mpg on a recent trip up north. I decided the soft ride was not suited to the additional power and upgraded the springs which have lowered the car approx 25mm and give a much more rewarding drive. I believe the following things have kept my car running like new; oil changes every 4500miles using correct grade ACEA C3 fully synthetic oil and always letting the engine warm up before I let my right foot become heavy. At this stage I would like to stress just because I have had my car lowered, tuned and make use of the available power I am not one of those idiots who will drive excessively fast in the wrong environment or be a target of those ’’look at that idiot’’ comments as I wheel spin out of petrol station forecourts. I do however like to show the boy racer next to me at the traffic lights that this diesel estate will catch you off guard as they try to cut you up. The only reason I have granted my car 4 stars is because I have had cars with much better interior build quality for a lot less money although I don’t think the firmer ride helps the rattles much. All in all I am still very pleased with my purchase and trust my car to get me where I want when I want hassle free. If anybody would like any further info on anything listed in this review feel free to let me know. Thanks.

You must have forgot to take the chip out of the old casing and place it into the new one, you just have to hope you haven’t binned the old casing. If you have then you will have to get a replacement chip and have it programmed into the car’s computer, but you can also because of the type of chip used in that model have the chip cloned from the spare key onto a standard t5 copy chip - Stuart McMillan from Ayrshire

Submitted: 2010-11-23 | ID: 46333

Peter Elder, Devon

Renault Megane Sport Tourer 2004

When my twins were due I had a good look at what car to purchase and always having had Renault cars I decided to purchase the New Megan Sport Tourer and decided to go for the privilege and add leather and sunroof. Following issues with the launch Renault could not go ahead with the sun roof; well that should have been the sign!!. I have now had 6 years of hell with the car following major electric problems (door locks not working, windows working on their own, back window washer not working.) I then had a water punp blow up!! Two weeks later I got the car back (still with major electrical problems) Last year the gear box went!! Another £2K later and I think I have rebuilt the car. I can not lock the car most days and if I do I cannot get the thing open again and to top it all Renault have not been interested in my comments from day 1. I will never look at purchasing a Renault again.

Submitted: 2010-06-21 | ID: 46330

Paul Jones, Gloucestershire

Renault Megane Sport Tourer Expression 1.5 106 2009

After a series of French cars, most lately a Citroen C5 hatch, we’ve returned to Renault and an estate. To be honest, I might have bought another C5 if it still existed as a hatch but I needed room to store my bike internally and the C5 has become a much bigger car overall. The Megane gives me the storage versatility I need but with excellent economy and tax figures. The ride is clearly firmer than the old car but comfortably so and it hugs the road well with virtually no body sway. I would describe the engine as ’free running’; lively and responsive without any need to force the pace (I drive conservatively). I thought the 6 gears would take some getting used to but that hasn’t been any problem; 5th will pull sensibly at 35mph and above in normal traffic flows. Having the extra gear helps in the efficiency stakes too. Storage is good and I don’t have any real problem with a partly non-horizontal floor. The one thing I dislike, and the reason for only 4 stars, is that the rear windows, back and side, give a quite restricted view particularly when reversing - I think the previous model had a more sensible rear design, albeit without the sexy light cluster. But all in all an excellent manoeuvrable vehicle which is returning 54mpg.

Submitted: 2010-06-01 | ID: 46331

Fraser Robertson, Clackmannanshire

Renault Megane Sport Tourer Tom Tom 1.5 106 Eco 2009

I’ve just bought this car and I love it. It has enough power to suit me, although the 130 would have been more exhilirating but at 60 y/o I am delighted with this model. It offers economy, £35 road tax, loads of gizmos, confortable and it looks great. We have dogs and there is loads of space for the four of them in the boot. It would be great if all manufacturers were to offer moulded boot liners for us dog lovers to keep uphostery clean.

Submitted: 2010-03-03 | ID: 46329

Juliette, England

Renault Megane Sport Tourer 2007

We have a Renault Dynamique Sport Tourer 2007 reg, purchased from a Renault dealer via "Renault to go" in 2008. We have had a clutch judder since purchasing the vehicle from Renault’s dealer in Norwich. The car is still under warranty (until April 2010), but Renault UK have refused to replace the clutch to date and will do nothing to help us. The judder has become so bad now when the clutch is warm, that it is now unsafe to pull out at junctions or roundabouts and having a baby in the car, this is really frightening me. I’ve had two near misses and am just waiting for that serious accident to happen, either to me, or to someone else. We are currently threatening Renault UK with legal action (we don’t know what else to do!), unless they try a replacement clutch in the vehicle, or indeed fix the problem they have created. Renault UK have confirmed that clutch judder is a manufacturing defect, due to the materials they use within their clutches and is a common problem with many Renaults, not just Meganes. When the clutch becomes hot, the materials used cannot grip due to lack of moisture, which causes the clutch to slip, resulting in the judder. Apparently Renault used to use asbestos in their older clutches, which worked very well, but are no longer allowed to do so under modern legislation. Renault are apparently working on a solution but will not confirm when this will be sorted and will not replace the clutch in view of this! In the meantime, everyone with a dangerous vehicle is left still driving on the road with no other option. I’m just waiting for the accident to happen. Then, if me and my baby boy are still here, I shall be suing them big time!

I had to respond to this report as we have exactly the same problem as Juliette. We have a 2008 renault megane which has recently developed a judder when pulling away particulary on an incline in first and second gear, again this is noticible when the car is warm The garage claim it is not dangerous but we lose acceleration pulling off and cannot respond safely to the road conditions. Our car is a motability car for our disabled son. The garage has said that they are waiting for a modified clutch to be delivered from renault and have waved a vague two week promise at us. Meanwhile I’m waiting for that accident to happen too, particularly as we have to use short sliproads on to dual carriage ways and busy roundabouts everyday on our sons school run to his special school. Good news is that motability if the RAC agree with us about this fault being dangerous will provide us with a hire car for the duration but this situation is not satisfactory. This fault is dangerous not just inconvenient - from England

Submitted: 2010-01-16 | ID: 46327

Kevin Stanley, Cheshire

Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.9dci 2004

Having had Renault’s before I was aware of the cost of parts and labour, which are not cheap in comparrison to other brands. Therefore it was important to find a good example with service history. After getting a 70k model the first thing I had to do was get a service and cambelt change, be aware that most independant garages are recomending a water pump change and gave good reasons to do so... Renault did not! Renault agents were expensive as you would expect at £670 for service and belt. The paint work is what I have found not to good, it appears to be quite thin and the undercoat on my blue version does come through rather easily. The isofix seat in the rear is also suspect as constant use of it down does tend to mishapen it and therefor create problems getting it to sit correctly. Fuel economy seems to be very good at around 37 around town. It is early days for us, but this is what has jumped out at us so far.

Submitted: 2009-08-24 | ID: 46326

Pete Longthorn, England

Renault Megane Sport Tourer 130 Dynamique 2007

I’m really impressed with this car. It’s pitched at the mid-market ’family car’ end of which there is loads of choice, but I think it feels a notch above. I have had Saabs previously but frankly I prefer this at 60% of the cost! It’s a 130hp diesel and goes ***** well! Overtaking is really brisk for a 1.9 litre and it cruises at about 2,500 rpm/80mph which keeps the fuel bills down nicely. The suspension is nicely set up where you don’t dread the potholes, and it sticks to the road fine. It’s got all the toys you need except Climate Control but the manual a/c is fine really. Oddly I miss the rain sensitive wipers my previous Primera had but it doesn’t keep me awake at night! It’s not a huge car but unless you’ve got a big family or need to cart loads of stuff around a lot I can’t imagine you’d have any problems with space. It’s a bit of a Tardis! Everything else is covered as you’d expect from a car in the ’noughties’, let’s face it, it’s quite hard to find a really bad car these days. I lease mine, but I think it costs about �17,000 to buy. Not the cheapest car by a long way but I think it represents good value against other makes. It feels as well built as a Golf (the benchmark still). It must be safe (it’s a Renault) and to be honest I can only think brand snobbery should stop you getting one over a Volvo S40 estate or Audi A3 5dr. Renault have never been considered particularly ’posh’ but this car feels really well sorted. I’m converted, Thought I might treat myself to a Laguna next time, but this actually is big enough!

The water coming through the door was a known fault and Renault sorted it for free on mine. It was the door skin liner. Might be worth asking as they may still offer the upgrade - Simon H from Somerset

Submitted: 2008-06-25 | ID: 46352

Nick Gillett, England

Renault Megane Sport Tourer Dynamique 2005

I own a 55 reg with the 17" alloys and split tail gate. Having done 12,000 miles (it’s the wife car!) it has been very very good. Only one weird problem.... the door leaks water and it collects in the storage holder at the bottom. This same problem happens on my friends Megane. Very comfortable and an impressive list of standard features. More than a BMW! I can recommend this car without any hesitation. 5 out of 5!

Nick, I have the very same problem with water collecting in the passanger door and I’m buggered if I can find the fault!! Did you have any joy?? I don’t want to go back to the dealer as I’m sure it cost me £100 for no reason! - Kevin Duggan from Herefordshire

Submitted: 2008-01-16 | ID: 46350

Gregg Thomas, Swansea

Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1460 Turbodiesel 2006

Owned the car for 16 months now; sparkling performance from a little engine with a surprising turn of torque for 1460 cc. Economy is good too; I never believe manufacturers mpg figures because I don’t drive like their testers - I live in a real world where town driving has a real time effect on economy. This serves to focus on the economy of 48 mpg around town that I’ve experienced. A good load carrier - buy the roof bars for £70 for a real carry car. A shame that at six feet tall the back seats won’t fold down flat when I’m driving, but the split rear seats are good. Comfort, cosseted by leather panels, is reasonably good with loads of adjustment and the adjustable steering wheel really does work to find a good driving position. Steering is not overly light as some have claimed, but I know what they mean when they say there’s little feel, it’s true but so what. Six-speed box is very light to operate and gives quiet motorway cruising ability with a genuine tank measured 59 mpg on motorway work over 400 miles. Not many cars can achieve that! When we ordered the car, I was prepared to pay the additional pounds for the 17 inch alloys, but the salesman advised against them. Having driven the same car with the 17 inchers, how right he was because the wheel comes as standard with a lower profile tyre which may fill the wheel arch in a visually attractive way but you lose out on the comfort and road noise aspect. Headlights - main beam needs more power/longer throw but that may be me at 59 years old. Climate control is excellent; all cars will have this eventually, but this is the first that I’ve had which actually works when your tie’s done up in a summer traffic jam. We ordered a dark grey one with cream (no other colour available!) fully expecting to be frequently busy with the cleaning chemicals but I’m amazed to find that it’s survived without a single wipe over during our tenure. Build quality is good as are the materials; having been a VW buyer for 30 years, I was prepared to be disappointed and critical but I am genuinely pleased as no rattles have papered and no part has fallen or vibrated off, and I don’t expect it to.

Submitted: 2008-01-02 | ID: 46349

• "Hi, I have an 08 Renault Megane Sports Tourer 1.5Dci. After first starting the engine and when pulling away in first gear from standstill there is a ..." (John Harandon, 31/03/2014 12:14:11)
  • "Hi. I have a 2007 Renault Megane II Sport Tourer and I would like to fit in Hid bulbs. Does anyone know if the lights are in can bus system or normal..." (Brian Attard, 10/02/2014 08:56:39)
  • "Is there any way to disable all of the lights and other electrics that come on automatically when the doors are open on my Renault Megane Sport Toure..." (Neville Mullings, 21/01/2014 12:40:33)
  • "Hi. I have a 2008 Renault Megane Estate diesel. The fan switch has been a bit dodgy lately, sometimes not working and now it`s completely stopped. Ev..." (Jen Andrew, 17/12/2013 09:23:01)
  • "Hi, the boot lid on my 2004 Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.9 dci Estate pops open when you turn off the headlights. Think it must be a short. Any idea..." (Kevin Jones, 14/11/2013 11:51:29)

• Ken Webb's question has been answered: "I have a 2004 sport tourer 1.9 Dci manual and averaging 46 MPG on rural roads according to the trip computer main road and motorway would be more. - Dean from Shropshire' '..." (12/03/2017 20:50:36)
  • Jacquee McLaren's question has been answered: "I have the same problem. Have you managed to get it sorted yet? You can open the boot by climbing into the back through the rear seats and using a scr - Todd from Essex' '..." (20/03/2013 09:11:28)

Renault Megane Sport Tourer

dCi 160 - The last “Shaking Your Ass” Renault Megane was something of a Marmite car – you either loved it or hated it. The latest generation looks more conventional, with a conservative-looking saloon and stylish Coupe. The newest member of the family, the Megane Estate, is somewhere in between these two. As [...]

An image of the Renault Megane Sport Tourer dCi 160