Volvo

20 September 2017

Volvo S60 consumer car reviews and road tests

Volvo S60 consumer reviews by year of make: 1997  2000  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2011

Volvo S60 consumer car reviews

Keith Thomas, Lincolnshire

Volvo S60 D3 R-Type 2011

It was a big decision to trade out of the "normal" German fare when the company car was due for replacement. The old prejudices levied against "an old man’s brand" were overcome with a fantastic value for money package, a great driving experience and a BMW built over a month of Friday afternoons so bad was it’s reliability. Another coil pack anyone? But bluntly, I love this car. Spacious, well equipped, comfortable, cruises imperiously and damned good looking to boot! Demolishes motorway miles effortlessly and delivers 40mpg even when worked hard. A couple of minor electrical glitches in 17k miles haven’t spoiled the experience. Yes, the quality of the interior plastics isn’t up to the Audi-BMW but it’s all screwed together well and delivers impressive ambience especially at night with the blue tinged lighting. After the "disappointing" BMW last time out, the S60 has breezed in like a breath of fresh air. Go on, try it, you won’t be disappointed!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-12-01 | ID: 51502

Dragonboy, Australia

Volvo S60 R 2005

I have owned this car for almost 4 years. It has a dreadful turning circle, ridiculously low front spoiler and the tyres rub the inner guards when going around a roundabout. Apart from this the car is brilliant fun and I can’t wipe the smile from my face when I give it a push. It has so much torque it is not funny. You don’t need the stereo on if you are revving over 4000 rpm. I have no idea what to replace it with when the lease expires? Maybe an AMG Merc or quick Audi?

Submitted: 2011-11-21 | ID: 51503

John Allford, Yorkshire

Volvo S60 D5 SE 2004

Supreme comfort, flawless build quality, effortless power, unbelivable fuel economy, all the toys, best sound system I ever heard, but why has it got 7 cup holders?? I’ll be having a c70 coupe next, what an awesomely stunning looking car.

Submitted: 2011-02-27 | ID: 51501

Dave Monk, Shropshire

Volvo S60 T5 2006

Firstly, yes as said by others the turning circle isn’t great, but you soon get used to it. This is my second S60 (previously a 2002 2.0 SE) so that should say something. The seats in the S60 are by far the best around (possibly only matched by the Saab 9-5). The T5 has a 2.4 V5 engine with 260 bhp and a 0-60 time of just 6.5 seconds - why do you think the motorway police use this engine?! The S60 handles great, with good feedback, and it is at home on A and B roads as much as cruising the motorway. I have driven both BMW and Lexus (as hire cars) before now and the S60 is so much better. This is a drivers car, the sort you want to take out on a driving run for pleasure. Excellent!

Submitted: 2010-09-09 | ID: 51500

Neil Har, Yorkshire

Volvo S60 S60 D5 2004

Like many other reviewers, having had BMW, Merc, Range Rover and Audi my expectation of executive driving was high. Without doubt the Volvo S60 D5 is the best car I have driven, it is awesome on the motorway, extremely well built, fantastic sound system and overall a great car.

Submitted: 2010-05-12 | ID: 51497

Frazer Green, Essex

Volvo S60 S60 D5 2003

Bought my S60 D5 at 2 years old with 25k on the clock and have now completed over 85k in it. It is by far and away the best car I have ever owned having had BMWs, Mercs etc. Average of 45mpg (even with a heavy right foot) and cheap insurance. The torque on the motorway is fantastic and I would highly recommend this car to anyone who actually enjoys driving. S60s eat miles up with ease. Only down side is the cost at Volvo dealers for servicing but any reputable garage can service the car with ease and for a fraction of the price. Def keeping mine for now as it still looks and drives like new. Never a minutes worry in 4 years and the safest car I have had the pleasure to own.

Submitted: 2010-02-05 | ID: 51498

Hugh Forbes, Fife and Kinross Shires

Volvo S60 d5 2004

This car is one of the most under rated cars on the road. I have returned 43 MPG over the time I have owned this car and it is all round about the town or fairly short journeys (up to 65 miles). The car is comfortable, easy to drive, responsive and can top 100 MPH in a blink of an eye and still has more MPH to offer. This car is coming up to 93000 on the clock and has never once let me down. The service programme on this Model is 18000 or 1 year, which ever comes quickest. My car is serviced by our local Volvo garage and the cost of services plus any parts which may be required from time to time are both in line with the rest of other cars in this range of vehicle. I have owned various makes of cars over the years and none of them are any where near the satisfaction I have had with this car. Next car to be owned - a Volvo S60 or 80 no need to even think about any other car.

Submitted: 2009-10-21 | ID: 51499

Mark Thackeray, Yorkshire

Volvo S60 2004

I have had many cars ranging from £500 -£100k and I have to say - this is the best car I have every owned. I get an easy 50 mpg - if only I knew earlier! I could have saved a small fortune. Not sure about the new 2008 Volvo’s, I am keeping mine for years - done 115k and still sounds like new.

Submitted: 2008-10-17 | ID: 51509

Tony Bennett, Cheshire

Volvo S60 D5 SE 2003

I bought this car when I changed jobs that required me to travel up and down motorways. Having owned a BMW 525 (petrol) previously, this was my first exposure to an ’oil burning’ diesel. I have now driven the car over the past 2 years completing over 40,000 miles and can honestly say I have enjoyed every mile! The Volvo eats miles with ease, and easily delivers 48-51 mpg even at 85mph+. Comfort is second to none, with plenty of power and performance for anyone. The previous owner had every extra possible fitted, (sports pack, winter pack, comms pack etc etc) My dilemma now is trying to find a car as comfortable, with equal performance and with as many ’toys’ as a company car, but unfortunately Audi A8’s BMW’s 7 series and Merc ’E’ classes do not make my available list. The mileage at present is 108,000 and in my experience is only just ’broke-in’ as it still drives fantastic! As previous comments have listed, the only down side is the turning circle. (I have 18" alloys") How can this exceptional car only now be worth £4 - 5K? I nearly forgot to mention, the Dolby surround sound hi-fi - my daughter thinks its even better than her iPod and I must agree, the noise is stunning. Having written these comments, I think I’ll keep her... sod the Volkswagen company car option! Tony.

Submitted: 2008-08-13 | ID: 51510

Adam Smith, Cheshire

Volvo S60 D5 SE 2003

Lets get the bad point out of the way... the turning circle is large especially with 17 ins wheels. It can be a pain in tight car parks. You reverse into parking slots never drive in. Small town driving in France and Italy can present a challenge. This is a great car; not just good. It sits in the drive with a Brand new Merc C Class and do you know it’s the better car in many ways. It is a true long hauler giving 48mpg when new and now after 74K 53mpg. Drive the motorways at 60 mph and it returns 63mpg - that’s about 1000 miles on a tankful of diesel. (Manual Gearbox of course) The D5 engine is truely powerful with heaps of torque over a flat range. At 80mph there is still bags of acceleration left so the published 0-60 times really don’t do the thing justice. Suspension is softish , the seating like old armchairs and the drivers position as near ideal as I’ve found. Instruments and controls are perfectly positioned although the handbrake takes a little getting used to. I love this car so much that I’m keeping it. It is easily good for another 100k. One thing to watch for is Volvo servicing and parts cost. Volvo now seem to think they’re the prima donna marque even outpricing MB and BMW. Depreciation is high so unlike me , don’t buy new.

Submitted: 2008-07-14 | ID: 51505

Steve Price, Yorkshire

Volvo S60 2.4 DSE 2005

My 2nd S60 - great value, fantastic comfort, excellent kit (leather, 6CD and other goodies), brilliant fuel economy @ 51 mpg

Submitted: 2008-06-09 | ID: 51506

Jeremy Winter, Buckinghamshire

Volvo S60 S60 R 2000

I bought the S60 R when it first came out in 2003 and it has given me five years of trouble-free motoring. When people think of reliability it is normally the German brands BMW, Audi and Volkswagen that come first to mind but I think that this doing Volvo a disservice, they fully deserve to be mentioned alongside them. The S60 is as comfortable on the motorway as it is in the towns and villages. If you want good fuel economy then you should choose the diesel option. It is surprisingly enjoyable to drive, performance and handling are very good. Interior and exterior show great attention to detail.

Submitted: 2008-05-01 | ID: 51508

Ian Thomas, Yorkshire

Volvo S60 S70 1997

Mine is the S70 with 146k on the clock, runs so smooth, safe and goes like the wind this is my 8th Volvo. Wouldn’t have any other!

Submitted: 2008-03-31 | ID: 51507

Marie Lawrie, Middlesex

Volvo S60 2.4 D5 2007

Proof that Volvo can produce an attractive car. Excellent, reliable engines and solidly built.

Submitted: 2007-11-23 | ID: 51504

• "When I first start up my Volvo S60, when it has been parked up for a while, the car doesn’t rev properly and has a delayed response before the revs s..." (Steven Boyce, 17/01/2012 14:14:42)

Volvo S60

T3 R-Design Premium - Volvo’s S60 combines safety, style and performance all in one car. The 2011 model is even better than the 2009 version, thanks to the addition of extra safety innovations and improved driving performance, with a T6 petrol engine joining the line-up for the first time. Well equipped as standard and k [...]

An image of the Volvo S60 T3 R-Design Premium