Land Rover (VANS)

SWITCH TO CARS

21 September 2017

Land Rover road test reports and car reviews

Latest Land Rover road tests

Range Rover Evoque HSE Dynamic TD4 AWD 2016

There can be no question that Land Rover’s decision to build the Range Rover Evoque was an inspired one. It’s by far the company’s best seller, and though purists seem unwilling to forgive what they see as a dilution of the brand, everyone else has flocked to the Evoque in droves. If you can look [...]

Range Rover Evoque HSE Dynamic TD4 AWD 2016

Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE Luxury SDV6

Land Rover’s fourth-generation Discovery plays in an SUV market that’s almost unrecognisable compared to the one the original Disco entered in 1989. We now live in a world of luxury SUVs, where sat-nav is more important than ground clearance and where leather seats take preference over locking di [...]

Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE Luxury SDV6

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque 5dr 2.2 SD4 190 4WD auto road test report

The Range Rover Evoque 5dr is the more practical alternative from Land Rover’s brand new sporting compact SUV range. It adds extra doors, more rear headroom and a slight shift towards practicality rather than outright catwalk looks, and is likely to be the bigger seller of the two Evoques. It actual [...]

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque 5dr 2.2 SD4 190 4WD auto road test report

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 190 4WD auto road test report

An SUV Coupe - sounds radical? Yes, but that's just what a groundbreaking new car the Range Rover Evoque is. Sitting beneath the Range Rover Sport, it is smaller than even the Land Rover Freelander, and much sportier than both. Technically, the Range Rover Evoque Coupe is a 3-door, but not to Range [...]

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 190 4WD auto road test report

Land Rover Range Rover TDV8 road test report

Range Rover stands for the ultimate in luxury SUVs, but where most of its rivals try too hard to be sporty or opulent, the Brit simply hits its mark. It offers a cabin made from the finest materials and provides ample space, while the underpinnings continue to serve up a wondrous mix of comfort, sur [...]

Land Rover Range Rover TDV8 road test report

The Land Rover range

Land Rover Defender

Land Rover Discovery

Land Rover consumer car reviews

The latest Land Rover reviews and road test reports. The views expressed in these consumer reviews do not reflect the thoughts and opinions of ReallyGoodDomains.com

Submit a Ford road test report

Martino Smith, Oxfordshire

Land Rover Defender 2009

Purchased a Land Rover Defender primarily to tow my daughter’s around but it endeared itself to me during last years snow and flooding. I now drive this vehicle everywhere and contrary to what motoring journalists say, I find it really comfortable and well capable of keeping up with normal traffic speeds. Buy one for the right reasons and you are unlikely to regret it. I’ve had mine for 3 years and it keeps it’s value better than anything else on the road.

Just chopped in my Range Rover L405 Model for a Defender pick up. New range rover has lost it's compromise and no longer belongs in my life. I'm so happy with the Defender. It's seating position is better than it's £85K son and I truly find it a pleasure to drive. I can't remember the last time I just went for a drive because I loved the car so much. I'm 48 and I feel like I've discovered driving all over again. Defender 63 Plate - 110 Double Cab - XS - Craig Dee from Dorset

Submitted: 2013-10-16 | ID: 42205

Tony Osbourne, Gloucestershire

Land Rover Discovery 2004

I’ve always been a fan of Land Rovers and I particularly like the way in which the Discovery is different to the competition. First the positives: It is a very good off-roader and amazingly spacious inside. It looks fantastic, almost futuristic and its looks have aged excellently. Now the negatives: It is a very thirsty vehicle and potential owners should be aware of this. As the price of fuel continued to grow the monthly petrol outlay increased in accordance until it became a concern. If you are looking for a classy MPV/SUV then they don’t come much better than this.

Submitted: 2013-10-04 | ID: 42224

Dylan Walker, England

Land Rover Discovery 2012

You won’t get into deep water with the tax man if you make sure the seats are fold-able...

Submitted: 2013-04-06 | ID: 42233

Pieter, South Africa

Land Rover Defender 1982

Even a trip to the mall is an adventure and parking is no problem as it climbs over an obstacle onto a spot where lesser rides can’t go. Spartan yet solid and reliable. Also 30mpg imperial if driven with circumspection. The younger sibling circa 1999 also is a winner. You just can’t go wrong buying new or a good used one. Even if you are a teen, it could out last you!

Submitted: 2012-11-03 | ID: 42203

George, Bangladesh

Land Rover Defender 2007

I gave the Defender a 5 star rating instead of four because of the marvelous warranty LR issued. I had two problems: The transfer case made very loud noises, so they changed it for a new one with no questions asked. I got the clutch replaced three times, everytime an improvement was made to the faulty clutch the dealers gave me a call and got it swapped, no matter if it was working properly until they got it right. I guess they did this since I’m overseas in a country where the Defender is very expensive and bought because it is needed and not because it’s a manly ride or a fancy toy to own in the UK. Also, I believe with this new model LR wishes to gain some terrain lost to the Toyota Land cruiser. Its been five years now since I bought it new and it now has 233 000 km on the clock ( 145625 miles). During its warranty period the dealers fixed an oil leak in the rear diff somewhere around 50 k miles and its never had a leak since. This vehicle is only on tarmac when it takes the 2 hour drive to the dealers for service, which is every 5 k km due to poor fuel. I own it and I’m the only person who drives it. The vehicle has never ever been abused, it works very hard that is a completely different thing, it is not a fancy toy. It gets fully loaded according to specs payload capacity at least twice a week (has never been overloaded). The low range and center diff lock are engaged on a daily basis. What I mean with this is that it has been used and respected as a tool, chassis washed and body waxed every sunday with high quality products supplied by the dealers and all transmission oils checked weekly due to the amount of rivers and creeks it has to traverse all the time. Fuel efficiency is very good compared to the majority of vehicles around, which are Land Cruisers at 70mpg with the naturally aspirated 4.2 six cyl diesel. It is also quicker on dry dirt roads and the turbo is very efficient when a boost of power is needed going up muddy roads with load. When I bought it I didn’t know the engine came from a Ford van, if I had known I would not have bought it and what a mistake that would have been! I bought this Defender because I needed a crew cab pick up with proper off road ability, there is none out there as American trucks are too big and don’t fit in our small roads. Hilux here don’t survive more then a year due to the fragile front suspension and drive system compared to a solid axle. Navaras Frontier Ranger are all the same story. LC is not offered with a crew cab, and for my taste they are kind of slow and come wanting when a power boost is needed, higher fuel consumption. If this review is being read by a possible buyer, I say go for it, it is the best vehicle out there and you wont regret it. It feels it will last forever and when it dies, I will rebuild it from scrap. It is my tool and also my companion, it has never let me down. I did some research before I went for it and heard some horror stories about reliability, to avoid such nightmares I only use original parts and a qualified mechanic certified by LR. It was expensive, but has already paid itself off many times.

Submitted: 2012-09-03 | ID: 42202

Harry Darrall, England

Land Rover Defender 1992

I own a Land Rover Defender 90 300 tdi pick up and I have recently put a 3" lift kit on it and an external roll cage. It is a great truck, both on-road and off-road, with its big chunky tyres it goes anywhere. It even still ran after going through a ford and suking up water due to a faulty snorkel. The best Land Rover out there.

Submitted: 2012-03-18 | ID: 42204

Richard Oakley, Staffordshire

Land Rover Defender 2004

An excellent economical truck with low running costs. Depreciation of this particular model is also non-existent.

Submitted: 2011-06-13 | ID: 42196

Carl, Torfaen

Land Rover Defender 1995

I have always wanted a Land Rover 4x4, after a little research I decided to have an early Defender 110 300TDi, due to the fact that this particular vehicle does not carry any fancy electronic gadgets EGR ECU and the like, and due to most work can be carried out by any DIY Mechanic. Purchased about 3 months ago work required for MOT, 2 front calipers, new rear xmember, welding to outrigger and that’s it. For a 15 Year old car that’s pretty good. I am not that mechanically minded, however, most of the work required has been done by myself, ie, Callipers, S/S Braided Brake Lines, Brake Bleeding, Brake pad replacement (easiest pad replacement I’ve done.), A DIY Mechanics dream. Cheap Insurance, Cheap Tax, Low Emission Zone tax exempt. Economy Have had highest 31.17 MPG, lowest 23MPG but depends on your driving style. Road handling is fairly good for the size. Off-Road capabillity is extremely good. Turns lots of heads. At 175,000 miles the engine is in fairly good working order.

Submitted: 2011-05-21 | ID: 42197

Tony Crowely, England

Land Rover Defender 2010

A great new improved landy. Heated and leather seats too, electric windows, tinted windows, fully loaded! Ok, the rear seats when unfolded has minium leg and head room, but I do have a dog guard fitted too which doesn’t help. Cubby box is very useful for cd’s etc... The stereo is pants, so that was changed to get rid of the tinny sound. The gear box is lovely, the power is awesome, and the ride is lovely for a defender! One fault at the miniute and that is the double jet washer snapped in the cold. To replace, the dashboard needed to come away to get to the small washer to change the part!!!! Why??????

I’ve had the washer jet fail twice now in the cold - the plastic retainer breaks and the jet falls off. As you say, not straightforward to replace and the Land Rover dealers round here don’t keep them in stock - Kenny Allen from Yorkshire

Hi, regarding the washer jet. Mine froze last winter and the top of the jet fell off. To replace it, pull the top off the new one and push it on to the stump that’s left off the old one. It does take a great deal of force to pull it off, a vice and mole grips is best. Good luck - John Suffell from Yorkshire

Take it back to Fords, it’s under warranty - Martin Jones from Essex

Submitted: 2010-12-06 | ID: 42198

Phil, Gloucestershire

Land Rover Defender 2009

We use our Land Rover for the dive club and sometimes you have got to see what this thing carries and tows. We can fit 5 people in, 5 sets of cold water dive gear, 10 scuba tanks, 5 sets of weights, and then behind we tow a 22 foot RIB, usually with 200 litres of petrol on board, and it doesnt miss a beat. Genuinely, there is nothing like it.

Submitted: 2010-06-14 | ID: 42195

Tony L, England

Land Rover Discovery 2009

I now have an XS Commercial Discovery 4 with premium sat-nav etc and bluetooth. The only gripes I have with it are the fuel economy (32mpg) and the fact that the dashboard dials light up before the headlamps come on. Other than this it is absolutely brilliant and a vast improvement on the D3.

Tony, Is there an option to get seats in the rear? - from Suffolk

Hi Tony, Just discovered (no pun intended) I can obtain one of these ’Discovery commercial’ through my company. At present running a Vito sport dualiner but would like more car based vehicle than van based, notice the back doesn’t come with seats, is there anything to stop you from adding rear seats as a retro fit? Any Garages you would recommend? Look forward to your answers, Thanks - Peter Johnson from Buckinghamshire

Hi, found this site......http://www.scotseats.co.uk - Craig Marshall from Fife and Kinross Shires

Update: Fuel economy now improving to between 32 & 39mpg depending on terrain. Difficult to fit seats. The van conversion involves the fitment of a steel structure in the rear with mounting points all over the place. Also the slots for rear airbags and seatbelts are all covered over. The tax situation is also a problem, fit rear seats and take it for an MOT in three years time and get into a lot of very hot water! - Tony L from England

How did you get one of these I did not think that they had started building these yet. I have been told that I can not get an XS spec anymore and can only spec up a base spec. Should be here soon - William Carr from England

I hear that Nene overland do a seat conversion. They have said it is not an issue with tax, but didn’t mention anything about MOT problems. I was thinking of buying one then converting it with seats, but may now reconsider - from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 2009-12-17 | ID: 42226

Colin Forster, England

Land Rover Discovery 2009

I recently bought a Discovery 4 SE and sold my Merc Benz ML320. This is the best 4x4 I have owned (Prado, pajero, Landcruiser100, had them all.) The only thing I don’t get the consumption advertised. I get 12L/100 combined, but then who wants to drive at 120 KMPH? Well done Landrover, off-road is amazing. Colin, South Africa

Submitted: 2009-12-10 | ID: 42225

Becky Appleby, Worcestershire

Land Rover Defender 2002

I have now owned 2 Defenders and can’t imagine life without one. I carry waterproofs for when it’s raining outside (and therefore inside too). I learned from having a sunroof in the first one NOT to have that option again, and consequently I don’t have to wear a hat too when it rains. They go anywhere, take kids, dogs, shopping, furniture, anything you want to carry, they tow trailers with ease and you look uber cool in them! Other Defender drivers wave at you, especially if you have pimped your ride! They’re classless, and look the same as they did years ago. You can’t get into town carparks due to the height, you can’t turn around in the streets due to the terrible turning circle and you can’t burn anyone off the roads at traffic lights. However, they are the BEST vehicles in the world - who could want for anything more!

<table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 538px; height: 108px;" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"> <col style="width: 53pt;" width="71"></col> <tbody> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl24" style="height: 12.75pt; width: 53pt;" width="71" height="17" align="right">You are totally right and I must add it is a fantastic 4 wheeeler - Constantin Benakis from Egypt</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> - from

Submitted: 2009-08-24 | ID: 42193

Janell, England

Land Rover Defender 2006

Always wanted this cult truck and bought one after moving to Australia Oct. 2007. Going from a smart Renault Scenic to a tank was a real adjustment. Parallel parking was challenging to say the least with a turning circle as big as a semi, its a bumpy ride, so you’ll never fall asleep at the wheel and the seats are only made for skinny people, not problems there. But I love this truck that has no schnick schnack, just what you need for serious off-road fun, nothing fancy that’ll break and it commands attention when you drive down the beach! I love the look on people’s faces when they say what great shape our truck is in and we tell them that its only 3 years old. Not everyone can drive a cult object!

Submitted: 2009-03-25 | ID: 42208

Greg Archer, Leicestershire

Land Rover Defender 1994

The Defender is a great tool. My 140,000 miler has towed a large caravan and loaded horse trailer and it is really planted on the road. Fit a roof rack and shift timber and furniture with ease. Your area flooded? Wade through it with a Land Rover. The 300 Tdi engine is arguably the best of the bunch for DIY owners’ with no on board computer to worry about. The later TD5 is more powerful and smoother however and this has been superseded by one from a Ford Transit! It leaks in the rain (wear a coat!) and is not a comfortable long distance machine. Parking can also be a problem in height restricted car parks for town dwellers’. Second row seats are poor and there is only a lap strap in the centre one if you have children. Seat belts are only fitted in the rear side facing seats on later models in line with legislation - again check if child safety is an issue. Insurance companies’ get concerned if you tell them it is a 12 seater and ask more questions than usual. Pattern spares are abundant and cheap and DIY repairs are easy. Fuel consumption is pretty good for a 2.2 tonne vehicle at 30 mpg when driven carefully and even 25pmg when towing my large caravan. It will go anywhere, do anything and is a tough as old boots - remember bodywork dents add kudos!

Submitted: 2009-02-13 | ID: 42206

Daniel Frampton, Dorset

Land Rover Defender 2008

The Defender is the best that Land Rover have ever made!

Submitted: 2009-01-26 | ID: 42207

Michael Reagan, Lancashire

Land Rover Defender 2007

As a dairy farmer this really is the only car for the job. A superb workhorse, this car can take anything you can throw at it. Don’t even consider if you’re looking for comfort - a real bone shaker on road! These cars really hold their value and are as solid as a house.

Submitted: 2007-09-29 | ID: 42209