Mazda (VANS)

SWITCH TO CARS

22 September 2017

Mazda road test reports and car reviews

Latest Mazda road tests

Mazda MX-5 Sport Nav 2.0 2015

In its 26-year lifetime, the Mazda MX-5 has become an icon. Despite being made in Hiroshima, Japan, it follows the principles of the classic British sports car, combining low weight and rear-wheel drive in a bid to produce driving Nirvana. This fourth-generation model is probably the purest expre [...]

Mazda MX-5 Sport Nav 2.0 2015

Mazda 6 2.2 SKYACTIV-D 150PS SE-L Nav road test report

The new generation Mazda6 is the second model to benefit from the Japanese carmaker’s wide-ranging, weight-saving, fuel-sipping SKYACTIV technology following the 2012 launch of the CX-5 crossover. There’s much more at stake for Mazda this time around however with the 6 a bedrock of the range, so swi [...]

Mazda 6 2.2 SKYACTIV-D 150PS SE-L Nav road test report

Mazda 3 2012 facelift road test report

Always a sharp looker, the Mazda 3 has been lightly refreshed and now comes with improved aerodynamics to give lower fuel consumption and emissions. In keeping with Mazda’s philosophy of finessing existing technologies, the Mazda 3’s latest changes keep it in the hunt as a sound choice for small hat [...]

Mazda 3 2012 facelift road test report

Mazda CX-5 Sport SKYACTIV-D road test report

The Mazda CX-5 is the vanguard to a new generation of models from the Japanese manufacturer. Developed using the company’s award-winning SKYACTIV technology the idea behind the next generation of Mazda models is to improve fuel efficiency without increasing the complexity of the powertrain. This in [...]

Mazda CX-5 Sport SKYACTIV-D road test report

Mazda CX-7 2.2 Sport Tech Diesel road test report

While the compact SUV market is a competitive sector, Mazda’s effort is a stellar one; even if its approach is a one-engine, one-trim attempt to capture the market. Handling and performance are standout, while equipment levels are pretty impressive too. It may be the only model, but don’t overlook i [...]

Mazda CX-7 2.2 Sport Tech Diesel road test report

The Mazda range

Mazda E2200

Mazda BT50

Mazda B

Mazda B2500

Mazda consumer car reviews

The latest Mazda reviews and road test reports. The views expressed in these consumer reviews do not reflect the thoughts and opinions of ReallyGoodDomains.com

Submit a Ford road test report

Jane Hill, Lincolnshire

Mazda B2500 B2500 DIESEL 1998 - 1999

We purchased 2nd hand knowing the vehicle needed a new diff, because of the whining noise First time out this seized and so got a rear a rear axle fixed this. And a week later did exactly the same but there was no noise............... Notes happy bunny ???????? any ideas ?? ?? ??

Submitted: 2015-04-17 | ID: 114853

Ger de Groot, Netherlands

Mazda E2200 1997

Perfect van! We have been driving it for 14 years now (160.000 km) only replacing the starter motor, brakes and this year some welding on the chassis (rust holes), so almost no maintenance costs. Great for holidays also (fits 4 bicycles plus all camp gear easily! Loads of space in the cabin. (our 2 children even like to sleep there more than in the tent...) Great view from the cabin, easy to manipulate despite its length. (front wheel under driver seat). Negatives: It is indeed useless in snow :-), prone to sway sideways when being overtaken by a truck or bus on the highway, fuel 1:11 (diesel) and a LOT of attention from second hand car dealers.

Submitted: 2013-05-25 | ID: 42791

Bazza Wiltshire, London

Mazda E2200 2002

I’ve had this van for 5 years, its done 137,000 miles. I’ve spent nothing on it apart from the odd repair i.e. new rear light and new timing belt. I have had all types of vans but this one is great, starts every time and I go every where in it. I had it serviced a year ago, and last week I noticed it was using a lot of oil, so I decided to do it up and sell it, but I just found that the oil fitter was loose. I tightened it up and took it off the market - Christ that was close call! Mind you, it looks good now so I will run it in to the ground, if i live that long!

I have to agree with the review. I have a 1988 Mazda e2200 camper and love it, I can’t however, find out the axle weights so can’t pass it’s NCT (Irish MOT). I believe it should have a plate with the axle weights on but it doesn’t. Does anyone know these weights or where they could be found? Thanks - Peter Forrest from Ireland

Submitted: 2012-10-15 | ID: 42789

Brian Tarran, Durham

Mazda BT50 2007

I bought my BT50 new in May 2007. The discount was massive and compared to the price of Nissan’s, Toyota’s and Mitsubishi’s the choice was easy as the drive is exellent. The only faults have been service items, battery, front shock and EGR valve clean. With all the money saved I got new 17 inch alloy wheels and tyres, a spray on bedliner (brilliant product), truck top and tinted windows. I’ve now done 57000 miles and need to replace my rear tyres; General Grabber’s last forever. This has been the best vehicle I’ve owned, great in the winter and so much storage available in the summer (camping etc.). In 2007 it was very easy for people to pay twice as much as I did for other pick-ups. Well chuffed.

Submitted: 2012-03-21 | ID: 42764

Ally Main, Moray (Elgin) and Nairn Shire

Mazda BT50 2008

I have owned this truck from new (4 years) and I cannot think of anything to grumble about with it, I have had no problems whatsoever. The original Bridgestone Dueller tyres were terrible and made the truck skittish at roundabouts etc. Once changed to Vredesteins the truck is now very sure footed. I have driven all other popular trucks and can honestly say I wouldn’t have any of them over my Mazda. I have used it daily doing anything from heavy towing, round town and long distance high speed driving and nothing is a problem. Great motor!!

Submitted: 2012-03-19 | ID: 42763

Jon Lee Cooper, England

Mazda E2200 1993

I’ve just bought my second E2200 and only realised how good these vans were after getting rid of my first. I’ve driven allsorts in-between and always found myself missing my Mazda. They just work well and are really comfy to drive; you’re right on top of the engine and you can really see where you’re putting it. With its cartoon campervan shape (sulking bottom lip front bumper ) these vans are a true classic of the future. My latest one is a K reg (1993), which has only done 43000miles. I’m going look after this one, I feel like I’ve got an old pal back.

we have a E2200 1993 but carnt find the chasiss number any ideas? - from East Sussex

Submitted: 2012-01-28 | ID: 42787

Al Foley, Ireland

Mazda E2200 2000

For 30 years I have driven panel vans, from VW to Hi-ace, Renault to Fiat, this Mazda E2200 has me in tears, ’cos for 11 years with the Mazda there wasnt one problem, and I crashed it last week! 150,000 miles on clock, body work was poor as we are agri-contractors and it’s not worth repairing, but it’s a fine engine in the van. The van didn’t drive well over moist field in Ireland, but it’s a street van so what do I expect? Fuel consumption is still over 37.5 mpg. Yes the cab is sparse and the seats are not good for comfort, but what a van; started every day in cold mountain, misty climate and never had one part replaced, bar shocks due to rural bumpy roads. I am going to miss the entire Mazda van experience. It’s a classic, like the VW bus, sob sob sob, I am going to miss this one.

Submitted: 2011-11-21 | ID: 42788

John Gregson, Australia

Mazda E2200 2000

Great reliable van, over 200K. Only normal service costs; brake pads, tyres etc. It is vital to fit a roobar and lights; I unfortunately hit a 75kilo kangaroo recently and if I’d had no roobar then I wouldn’t be here.

Submitted: 2011-06-29 | ID: 42786

Brian Ellery, Cornwall

Mazda E2200 1999

Bought the van at an aquatic auction four years ago, ex builders/garden centre van so has been worked hard. Really tatty outside due to people that can’t reverse!! Bought with 12 months m.o.t for £260, nobody else wanted it so at that price I thought it might be a cheap replacement for my rather small Escort van. Do I regret? Hell no!! Starts first flick everytime, rain or frost. Carrying capabilities are second to none, reliable, fairly cheap on fuel,30-35. Loaded most of the time, I too do a little building,handyman work. Covered 3000 miles over the last 2 long weekends collecting motorcycles plus associated parts. Couldn’t wish for a better van and I’ve had a fair few over the years. Why did they stop making them? Must have been one hell of a backhander!!

i`m looking for a few parts for a 00 E2200 van - James Hester from Ireland

The reason they stopped was apparently something to do with new laws and not being able to have the engine under the seat. Not sure how true that is, just I’ve been told a couple of times but whatever the reason someone at Mazda needs to sort a new engine compartment (maybe a little bonnet like sprinters etc) as a carpet fitter I couldn’t survive without my trusty Mazda. Excellent vans, stick ur vw transporters up ur a@#& - Simon Ball from England

I think it was down to the fact that there was little or no protection for the driver in a frontal. No crumple zone could be incorporated. O.K for the streets, but no good on faster roads. I"ve had that feeling myself! - Brian Ellery from Cornwall

Submitted: 2011-06-01 | ID: 42779

Matthew Warren, Surrey

Mazda E2200 2004

I bought my e2220 three years ago from a mature one owner carpet fitter and I am a carpet fitter too and it has never missed a beat! Utterly reliable van, excellent loading space, so easy to park as you sit on the front wheels, very agile and torquey engine albeit a bit gutless top end. DOWNSIDES: Not a lot of cabin space, parts are not cheap however in the three years I have had it it hasn’t needed much at all. These vans were made for carpet fitters and I am sure all who have these vans will agree that these few draw backs are well worth the service these superb vans provide! Oh and these vans are totally useless in the snow! Or on muddy fields! You’re better off crawling backwards on your hands and knees with your hands tied behind your back! Rear wheel drive, skinny 14 inch wheels no weight over them (unless loaded) = zero traction!!!

Submitted: 2011-05-13 | ID: 42778

Tim Harris, Dumfriesshire

Mazda BT50 2008

We bought three of these Pick-ups and mine has the lowest mileage of the three, but has had new injectors at 12000 miles. I have just had its two year service and it’s packed up on the main road with an engine fault again, just when I need it the most. All the comments made about it are true it has space nice to drive and a good price, but when the weather gets cold it packs up. I have to drive in difficult conditions in the North of Scotland and at this moment would I trust the BT50? Simple answer, no!

Submitted: 2010-12-07 | ID: 42760

Paul, Lancashire

Mazda B 2006

The Mazda B2500 is a revelation. I’ve been running mine since new (about 4 years) and it has never let me down once. I’ve had off-roaders before but this beats even a Landrover! It chews up the nastiest terrain with ease, everything (bar for some reason the windscreen wipers) is over-engineered to a degree where you feel it will last forever and with double cab, I can even take the kids out. More reliable than a Toyota Hilux, better off-road than a Landrover and more kudos than all those builders in their Navara’s put together. This truck is the Real Deal.

So true, the perfomance is great - Syndiann Mitch from Trinidad and Tobago

Submitted: 2010-11-28 | ID: 42754

Jim Ryan, Kent

Mazda BT50 2009

Love, love love this truck. I bought it from new as the discount was great and have honestly enjoyed every driving minute since. I bought it new in Feb’ 09 and have covered 21,000 miles. It’s never so much as sneezed and always starts first time. The engine is a gem and is both powerful and ecomomical. You feel that the TS2 will last forever and will go anywhere. The truck feels solid and has a presence on the road other lesser cars lack. Visibility is brill’ both front and back and as you sit high up, you see further ahead so it’s safer too. Downside? Rear access is tight and the truck is skittish in the wet as the rear wheels scrabble for grip, especially when turning at speed, but don’t let these put you off as the pleasure of driving and owning this vehcle will exceed all your expectations. Go on, get yourself one and see what your missing.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-09-09 | ID: 42762

Victor, Costa Rica

Mazda BT50 2009

Excellent overall car. I’m at 12000km and so far so good. My only complaint is that the rear suspension is a tad too harsh (nothing Old Man Emu can’t fix) and makes speed bumps and other road irregularities quite noticeable. The 3000cc engine is very good, has a nice grunt to it (much more than the 2.5 variant (on newer ones) and its fuel efficient, although if you step on it (like I usually do) don’t expect more than 450-500 kms per tank (you probably can get much more, it’s just that I enjoy overtaking lesser cars and I’m always late so...). It’s an amazing off-roader (once you put proper tires to it, the one’s that came stock with mine are quite flimsy for off-roading) and there’s nothing like the good old 4H-L stick; it NEVER fails and unlike the Navara or the Hilux getting to 4L when you really need it is effortless. The top speed (somewhere around 165-170 kph) isn’t much but it gets there rather fast. It’s got lots of accessories available which is always good.

Submitted: 2010-08-16 | ID: 42761

James McCormack, Derbyshire

Mazda E2200 2001

I travelled 500 miles to buy this van in November as I already knew they were excellent and now rare vans, I snapped it up! I’m a carpet fitter and have found this van perfect for the job, it’s so easy to load and carries much greater weight than my combo, which I part chopped for this. The ONLY problem I’ve found is wind!! Unless you’ve got a load on then you’d better hold on tight!

Submitted: 2010-08-09 | ID: 42785

Tony Wilkins, Lincolnshire

Mazda E2200 1999

I bought my van new in 99. It has done 118000 miles and only had rear springs and bottom pulley changed since new. Still on its 1st replacement exhaust and front pads. Still good cond and this van is used hard. You guessed I am a carpet fitter and will keep this van as long as poss. If I changed it I would have to get a much bigger van to do same job as this van is nice and long inside so I can shut back door when loaded. Other vans are shorter because having a bonnet takes up too much length. Why can’t we go back to flat fronted vans? Merc also did a good long van in 70s. Engine oil has been changed every 6000 miles, I am sure this is why it’s so reliable.

I want e2200 used mazda - Sola Fasola from Kent

Submitted: 2010-08-07 | ID: 42783

Steve Fellows, London

Mazda E2200 1996

Have had my E2200 for 8 years with no problems except a cracked head 2 years ago. I bought in 2002 when it was already 6 years old. It’s now done 120,000 miles. Will be sad to have to replace it in 2012, due to the Low Emission law for London area. I planned to replace it with a Nissan Primastar, but after coming across this excellent review site and hearing the horror story, I will be replacing it with a Toyota Hiace. I had a 1985 Hiace which finally died after 17 years of faithful service in 2002, when I got the Mazda.

Submitted: 2010-04-26 | ID: 42774

Jeremy Brimblecombe, Devon

Mazda E2200 2002

Our first experience of the Mazda E2000 must have been back in the 1980’s and we bought 3. That’s when it had the small bumper. Kept them for 6 years then bought another 3 with the extended bumper. Each time changing them out after about 6 years up until 2010. when we have to sadly look for another van because the E2000 is no longer imported into the UK. It’s been so reliable, I didn’t need to look at any other van at the time and cheaper than anything else of the size. Its only draw-back is its lack of aerodynamics making it extremely difficult to keep in a straight line in light winds on motorways. Mechanically very sound. One heater matrix packed-up recently and the gears are a little notchy sometimes, seat belts down don’t auto rewind when getting out so usually get jammed in the door. other than that a very very reliable van. If we find anything half as good as the Mazda I’ll be lucky .....any recommendations?

Submitted: 2010-03-16 | ID: 42777

John Dunn, Cornwall

Mazda E2200 1994

After entering my last review on the Mazda E2200 van,10-11-2008, my cylinder head eventually cracked!! The van was off the road for a few months, but looking at the van in general,she was in really good nick, cosmetically and structurally! So decided to give her a new lease of life,..ok: brand new cylinder head re-dressed using the valves and parts from my old one.!! i removed cylinder head sent it to "super dave" (Headkins engineering) where it was stripped..and the new head was rebuilt! I then put the engine back together including a timing belt kit,stuck her in for M.o.T, straight through!!! I have been using her everyday since. WHAT A VAN! WHAT A VAN!! I would recommend it to anyone!!

Submitted: 2010-02-24 | ID: 42775

Peter Kearney, Middlesex

Mazda E2200 2000

I have had 3 vans over the last 13 years and just rebuilding the 4th which is an 02 plate (fingers crossed). I have had the current one 8 years. If only they hadn’t stopped making them I would for bought a new one.

Submitted: 2010-02-18 | ID: 42776

Matthew Seer, Gloucestershire

Mazda E2200 1998

I bought the e2200 diesel new in january 1998. I have had it for 12 years with no major problems! Absolutely excellent. I did lose the rear wiper about 6 months ago! First set of front brake pads at 92000 miles(3 years ago) a new battery and glow plugs last year, along with a few bulbs and a new exhaust back box,I do service regularly so that’s why its been so reliable. Top vans, no doubt!!

Submitted: 2009-12-27 | ID: 42773

Spence, Kent

Mazda BT50 2009

I have owned this truck for 6 months now and am truly delighted with it. It does everything, loaded or unloaded and is sensational off road. Would buy again over all the competition and fuel is amazing, regularly getting 35+. If your looking for a workhorse that drives like a car, look no further, 5stars, six if it was an option.

Submitted: 2009-12-12 | ID: 42759

Andy Cameron, Yorkshire

Mazda BT50 2007

This is an excellent truck! Fast,powerfull and utterly reliable. A real joy to own. I would recommend this vehicle without hesitation to anyone and it is so much cheaper than the equivilant Hilux/Nissans, etc. I’ve owned mine from new with no major problems and it’s now covered 50,000 miles with the only slight problem being a faulty ignition switch, which was replaced without quibble by the local Mazda dealer. I Would definately buy another!

Submitted: 2009-11-16 | ID: 42758

Ian, Hertfordshire

Mazda E2200 1998

Well as a carpet fitter I’ve driven these for years... 3 in fact, great to drive BUT first one Head went. The 2nd Head again and the third I hit a patch of ice on Sat and wrapped it around a telegraph pole... Head on :) Not a van you want to do that in believe me.

Submitted: 2009-02-10 | ID: 42792

John Dunn, Cornwall

Mazda E2200 1994

I’ve had mine about 2 months now and agree with Perry Wymark... Excellent drive but get them on the bypass or motorway with cross winds then hold on tight! My rear wiper has packed up to, gears are ok so far.. Have noticed though that first thing in the morning or if its been parked up all day the rear brakes are VERY sharp but after a couple of minutes driving they seem to settle down... thank god! Bit hairy when roads are damp!! Have heard that the crank pulley works loose as well and the heads are prone to cracking... Mines been ok... so far!! Apart from that what a lovely van! With half a ton of concrete blocks over the rear wheels I reckon they’d handle well too! Brilliant value for money.

Submitted: 2008-11-10 | ID: 42795

Jimbo, Wales

Mazda E2200 2000

Not the quickest van around, but reliable and fairly economic 30-35 mpg. Nice to drive and excellent cargo area, 3m plus and up to 4 m if you fold the front seats down. No wonder there a favourite of the carpet trade.

Submitted: 2008-05-01 | ID: 42794

Perry Wymark, Suffolk

Mazda E2200 1996

These vans a very easy to drive, nice handling, comfortable and economic..... IN THE SUMMER!!!!!! If its raining, windy, icy, snowing, cold, chilly, not very warm, did I mention windy and not the tornado type, I’m talking just a little breeze and you’ve got a fight on your hands. The gear linkage is prone to get loose which means popping out of gear while driving over bumps or a slightly clunky gear change, the rear wiper nearly always packs up on them, BUT all that said,,all in all they are a good reliable van, they just need a bit of care whilst driving in the winter.

Submitted: 2008-03-27 | ID: 42793

Jason, Devon

Mazda BT50 2007

I've driven most truck models out there. Nissan Navara's, L200's, Hilux's, Rangers, both new and old and I can honestly say that the Mazda BT50 is in a league of its own. Pulls great, very capable off road, handles like a car, great price from garage and the fuel is amazing. After test driving most models I decided on the Mazda over them all. I've owned one for 6 months now and my MPG range (recorded an average of 20 times) Min - Max has been 30-44 MPG. I don't drive crazy speeds under 70mph, you can put it in 5th at 35mph and the truck just does the rest effortlessly, empty or loaded, caravan or trailer. The price is also a bonus, being ££1,000s cheaper than the competition. I had lots of change spare to spend on accessories.

Submitted: 2008-02-27 | ID: 42766

Phil Yeoman, Devon

Mazda B 2005

This is a working van and is used specifically for hauling animal feed. I needed something with 4x4 capability that would take some battering and was solid enough to cope with the work and cheap enough to not be paying for none essential stuff that is fitted as standard on other pickups. In hindsight I wouldn’t go for one of these again although it has done it’s job well enough it’s performance is nothing to write home about, just ok.

Submitted: 2007-11-26 | ID: 42757