MITSUBISHI (VANS)

SWITCH TO CARS

Questions and answers

MITSUBISHI L200 questions and answers: Page 6

Mitsubishi L200

Ask and answer questions on a variety of MITSUBISHI L200 models. Help and advice on everything MITSUBISHI L200. Feel free to ask and answer as many MITSUBISHI-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest MITSUBISHI L200 questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Richard Hudson, Kent

Mitsubishi L200 2003

Hi. I have a Mitsubishi L200 2.5 tdi. On start up there`s a little puff of white smoke which clears. Today while driving in town the engine management light came on and, although it was ticking over when pushing on the accelerator there was nothing. I switched it off and back on and all was okay. Ten minutes later it did this again but cleared without my switching it on and off. I called the RAC and, after nothing coming up on his fault check and as the light had not come on, he cleaned up the egr valve and took off the vacuum pipe to keep the valve closed. On start up there was not as much of a puff of white smoke and all seemed okay. I`ve driven for about 20 minutes and it`s done the same again. I turned off and on and all was okay again. I shall drive home and hope to get an answer on here before calling the RAC again. The breather pipe is off and he put a screw in to seal it and I wondered if now the egr is cleaned I need to put it back on? The RAC man said I probably need to MOT. Can anyone help please?

Your egr valve is partially to blame but not crucial. Basically you need to adjust the turbo. Mine has the same problem. Look at the turbo and you will see 2 screws which are probably rotten, the top one is the one you need to adjust, unscrew it 1 turn and then take your truck for a 30 mins spin keeping the revs up purely to clean the cat because that’s another problem. I’m decating mine this weekend to try and prevent it because it doesn’t make it completely go away doing them mods but it does make it alot better, you can also get a kit the blanks off the egr valve but I found this didn’t do much to help. I’m hoping the decat will help because there will be less lag which should stop the overboosting, I will let you know how I get on if you like Simon Mould from Northamptonshire

Cheers for that. I will go do now. Changed air flow sensor and blanked of egr and by passed the rad thing connected to the egr but as soon as warm power goes and light on. Leave and inter cooler comes on. Leave to run for bit, switch on engine and runs like a dream. Total head mess lol Richard Hudson from Kent

Submitted: 24/06/2013 11:56:23 | ID: 91904

R Thomson, Dumfriesshire

Mitsubishi L200 2003

Hi there, my Mitsubishi L200`s engine management light keeps coming on and the car goes into limp mode. Three mechanics have looked at it and all have said something different after each time I got them to replace what they said was the diagnostic fault. So to that end I’ve had a new egr valve put in, a new starter motor, new cam belt and new crankshaft sensor all to no avail. I’ve noticed recently that when driving and the engine management light comes on and I lose power, that if I drop down 1 or 2 gears it regains the power and drives fine till I slow down with lower revs. Does anyone have a clue as my budget is getting smaller and smaller? Thanks. (Warrior dbl cab)

Submitted: 10/06/2013 15:46:29 | ID: 67381

Paul Mason, England

Mitsubishi L200 2003

Hi, I have a 2003 Mitsubishi L200 diesel which is filling the water coolant with oil, a lot of oil, it`s pouring out of the expansion tank. However it runs perfectly, it just starts to overheat due to the amount of oil in the water I presume. Is it the head gasket, head or water cooled turbo? Any ideas? Thanks.

Much the same happening with my Animal L200. The garage had been flushing it through, but it happened again so they took the new head fitted a few months ago out. They said that it was not faulty (?) and that it could be the turbo seals ? Did you find out the problem with yours Paul? When the previous head blew the signs were over heating coolant (no signs of oil in coolant then). Like yours it’s been running fine. I Got mine to the garage a bit quicker than you possibly, ’cause it didn’t overheat. James Bush from England

I had the same problem with my 2.5 shogun sports. There were three cracks on the water side of the cylinder head letting oil through and into the expansion tank. New head and good gasket set (not cheap one from e-bay) all ok now Eddie Walsh from Aberdeenshire

Head gasket I’m afraid my friend. It’d be a good idea to get the head checked and valve seals done before rebuilding. I don’t recommend you use the vehicle much further as you are liable to cause catastrophic engine damage; oil and water contamination destroys the multiple rubber seals within the engine. It should be around £500 for a head reskim and refit with gasket, as to the valve stem seals being done, I don’t know the cost. If the engine drops it could be a couple of grand. Weigh up your options!! Don’t get caught out mate, these engines are a nightmare to put right when major work is required. Hope this helps. George from Scotland

Submitted: 21/05/2013 10:17:32 | ID: 58274

Julie White, Lincolnshire

Mitsubishi L200 2004

I have different size wheels on my Mitsubishi L200 Warrior to those it should have on when it comes out of the factory. I purchased it with them already on. It looks like they are Shogun alloys and the tyre size is 255/60R/18. Can anyone please tell me what tyre pressure I am supposed to put in them as I keep getting conflicting advice? I only really use my beloved Warrior for all my camping gear so I won`t be hauling heavy loads. Can anybody help me please? (warrior pick up)

30 front 32 rear Simon from Northamptonshire

Submitted: 09/04/2013 15:58:19 | ID: 92746

Duncan Baker, England

Mitsubishi L200 2007

My vehicle keeps suffering lack of power which I think is linked to the turbo? It went in to Mitsubishi 6 months ago with same problem. Any ideas where the pipe is on the engine so that I can look to see if this has come off? (Sorry have not got a clue about engines; could do with a diagram being submitted for guidance on where to locate pipe). (Animal)

Is the amber management light coming on ? I have a 58 plate Animal and have had a few problems with it going into LIMP mode. Check the waste-gate is free and moving and the EGR is free from crud and moving. Good luck Rogue Wave from Aberdeenshire

I had the same problem, after talking to my local Mitsubishi garage (Nathanial Motors Bridgend) they told me it was my turbo. They kept trying to get me to buy a new turbo (lies), but after some more enquiries I found out it was the boost sensor on the bulk head. I tried to clean it with break cleaner, which worked for a while, then it came back so I replaced it and it now works like a dream. Steve Cocking from Vale of Glamorgan.

Submitted: 11/03/2013 16:51:16 | ID: 90916

Tony Whitehead, England

Mitsubishi L200 2006

My Mitsubishi L200 has a water leak on the driver`s side footwell. It`s already had a water test on the windscreen and I`ve checked out the drainage vents which are okay. The carpet gets soaked. How can the water be getting in? (Warrior)

Had the same problem, turned out to be leaking from rear window (drivers side of middle opening window). Had it resealed, not a big job for autoglass specialist Craig from England

Not happy with answer my windows are ok what could it be? gilchrist from Armagh

Daughter has had a brand new L200 Barbarian back at Mitsubishi since January 2017 with water in the drivers foot well. They still haven't found what is causing it despite having to replace seals and loads of electrics because they got wet and shorted out. She has had a loan vehicle up until now and they are now asking for it back but still haven't fixed the car. They claim they are waiting for parts from Japan but quite honestly I smell BS. We could be demanding a new car. Chris from Surrey

Check plastic wheel liner under drivers front wing. Check for any missing fasteners, splits or bad joints. You say you have had a water test on the windscreen but it may not have been adequate either not enough water spray or not long enough spray. Sometimes the water leaks past the window seal and runs along an interior ledge to gradually spread downwards with no large visible drips. Do you have side indicator repeater lights? These have been known to leak water past and allow it to trickle down the inside panels behind the footwell panel to wind up on the floor. Hugh from City of Glasgow

Submitted: 01/02/2013 10:43:17 | ID: 89892

Ben, Ireland

Mitsubishi L200 2002

My Mitsubishi L200`s engine management light is on constant.ly I got the head done before this occurred. I`ve tried a new vacuum sensor switch as the mechanic had this on the computer but this has still not solved the problem. I`m thinking of trying actuator on turbo? Any suggestions?

Submitted: 24/01/2013 11:49:24 | ID: 89497

Steve Wilkinson, Scotland

Mitsubishi L200 2008

Hello. The 7.5 amp fuse (number 15 in handbook) on my Mitsubishi L200 keeps blowing for no apparent reason, sometimes 10 miles or 100 miles driving, even at idle. My local mechanic has given up and is not sure what to try next. I think it might be a dash/gauge problem and this will be sure to be expensive, but I would like another opinion. Is this a problem anyone has come across before? Thanks in advance. (Animal)

Submitted: 24/01/2013 09:22:17 | ID: 89297

Neal McInnes, Lanarkshire

Mitsubishi L200 2008

My Mitsubishi L200 has water leaking onto the carpet after rainfall which seems worse in the back? Does it have a drain in front of the fire wall or back window seal? Can anybody help? Thanks.

Submitted: 04/01/2013 11:43:21 | ID: 66959

Anthony Marks, Canada

Mitsubishi L200 2005

I am not getting power from the two wires that connect to my Mitsubishi L200`s heater fan. What can cause no power to these two wires so my fan cannot work because of no power? When I test the fan it is working?

That is because the rheostat controls it. Does it work on full power? If it does then it needs to be replaced, not the fan the rheostat. It will be in the pipe work from the fan as it needs to be cooled Anthony Ward from England

Submitted: 03/01/2013 15:36:52 | ID: 66763

David Kay, East Lothian (Haddingtonshire)

Mitsubishi L200 2004

My Mitsubishi L200 Canter`s main beam stays on all the time when you put the lights on. What should I do?

Submitted: 20/12/2012 16:11:26 | ID: 65942

Sam Oliver, Nottinghamshire

Mitsubishi L200 1990

I want to know the difference in chassis for the 1990 Mitsubishi L200 model and the 2000 model. Can the 1990 mlddle chassis be used for a newer model? (single cabin pick up)

Submitted: 18/12/2012 08:52:29 | ID: 65740

Mark Middleton, England

Mitsubishi L200 2004

I am having problems starting my Mitsubishi L200 in the cold weather. What is the best way to start it as it is diesel?

When you turn on your ignition you should see an amber light shaped like a filament in a light bulb. When this light goes out start the engine, this warms a set of four glow plugs which help ignite the injectors. If this doesn’t help you can remove each glow plug and test them with jump leads attached to a battery and it should glow bright orange. Any that don’t should be replaced; they are about £10’ish each and are easy to diy too. Hope this helps. George from Scotland

Submitted: 07/12/2012 10:30:49 | ID: 89812

Andrew Davies, Merthyr Tydfil

Mitsubishi L200 2003

My Mitsubishi L200 just had the turbo changed and the truck is still a bit sluggish but all the turbo is fine. I woke up this morning and there was a little bit of oil on the floor. Can anyone help please?

Submitted: 07/12/2012 10:24:03 | ID: 64617

David Chapman, London

Mitsubishi L200 2003

Hi. I have a Mitsubishi L200 Warrior. A few days ago the heater and hazard lights stopped working. I have checked all fuses and they seem to be okay. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Submitted: 06/12/2012 10:56:53 | ID: 64481

Sonja Overty, Leicestershire

Mitsubishi L200 2007

My Mitsubishi L200`s engine management light came on p1272 code. A couple of days later p0089 came u. I had a new scv fitted and on a test run it was perfect, but when I came to drive it the engine mangement light came on again and it went into limp mode. This is still how it is. It runs great until it`s on tickover, then limp mode comes on. However if you stop and start again it clears it and if I keep revs at slightly higher than normal it`s fine. Any ideas? (animal)

Submitted: 04/12/2012 09:37:25 | ID: 64289

Antony Mellor, Lancashire

Mitsubishi L200 2003

I have water in the driver`s cab of my Mitsubishi L200 after it`s rained. I had the garage look at it and the body repair man but none have repaired it and it`s getting worse. What should I do?

Submitted: 26/11/2012 12:55:51 | ID: 63402

Jeff Gardner, Blaenau Gwent

Mitsubishi L200 2004

My Mitsubishi L200 is sluggish and smokey. The engine management light comes on when under pressure, ie towing. It resets when the engine`s turned off. The vehicle has only done 40K. I stripped amd cleaned the EGR valve but am still getting the same problem. I changed the diesel filter but it`s just not running right, can anyone shed any light? Thanks.

Submitted: 26/11/2012 11:03:55 | ID: 63362

Fraz Macinnes, Argyllshire

Mitsubishi L200 2004

While driving my Mitsubishi L200 Warrior yesderday it started making a whining noise but seemed to drive fine, it didn`t overheat or lose power and I thought no more of it. This morning it did it again and then a lot of white smoke appeared and it became a bit sluggish, the check engine light also came on. I drove another mile then parked up. I checked oil and water, everything seems okay, not hot or smelling hot either. It starts okay and runs but now it`s smoking a lot and there`s a slight knock when I rev it over 2000 rpm. Any ideas? (Warrior)

Sounds like turbo seals gone due to over pressure Anthony Ward from England

Submitted: 19/11/2012 15:01:53 | ID: 55207

Michael Armstrong, England

Mitsubishi L200 2008

Hi, I have a Mitsubishi L200 4life 2008. It seems very sluggish and you can`t feel the turbo kicking in. It still does 105 mph but I`m not convinced it is right. I used to have a 2001 4life and the turbo whistled like a bird and it had more acceleration than my new 08 one. The motor was an ex rental car so I`m wondering if it could be governed in some way?

Submitted: 15/11/2012 12:46:10 | ID: 93008

Maryse Faulkner, Hampshire

Mitsubishi L200 2007

The rear parking sensor on my Mitsubishi L200 has stopped working. I have taken it to the garage and they can`t find the problem. Is there a particular problem with parking sensors?

Had same problem and it was the earth wire on the chassis had corroded off. New connection and self tapping screw, working perfect now Steve West from Scotland

Submitted: 12/11/2012 16:25:58 | ID: 92426

Craig, Suffolk

Mitsubishi L200 2002

I`m trying to replace the middle section of the exhaust of my Mitsubishi L200. The old bit fell off and whatever angle or way I try it I can`t get it in the right place. It has to go between the subframe and the chassis. Has anyone changed one of these before? There is normally one way some exhausts go on and one way only. I`m on a tight budget, that`s why I`m doing it myself but I just can`t figure it out. Can anyone help?

Submitted: 01/11/2012 10:33:24 | ID: 89393

Brian Ventham, Cyprus

Mitsubishi L200 2000

My Mitsubishi L200 has a fault in it`s reverse (back up)lights. The bulbs are okay and the reverse (back up) switch is okay. If the fault lay in a relay, if there is one, where would it be located and does anyone have the colour coding? How can I test the wiring to see where the fault lies? Regards. (4x4 twin cab)

Submitted: 01/11/2012 09:04:54 | ID: 89383

Paul Waters, England

Mitsubishi L200 2000

I just bought a Mitsubishi L200 with 1/4 tank of fuel in it and it has started to cut out when the revs are low. Could it be the fuel gauge is wrong and I’m nearly out of fuel?

Submitted: 30/10/2012 16:05:39 | ID: 89236

Ben Cronin, London

Mitsubishi L200 2004

I went to view a 2004 Mitsubishi L200 Warrior today to purchase. I noticed while test driving it, it steers to one side more then the other. For instance, when turning to the left on full lock it didn`t seem to steer as much as full lock to the right. Is this normal in the L200? Thanks. (Warrior)

No, that’s not what’s wrong - steering needs setting up Ian from England

Submitted: 18/10/2012 12:23:22 | ID: 64767

Orrin, Kenya

Mitsubishi L200 2004

I have a 2004 Mitsubishi L200 (recently purchased). In the car on the panels there is no A/C button and when I turn the fan on it is not cold. I thought at first that I have no A/C gas left, but now I am starting to think that since there is no A/C button that possibly this model wasn’t built with an Air con or there is only A/C option. I would appreciate any help please. Thanks. (A/C)

Submitted: 11/10/2012 15:33:12 | ID: 61043

Kimberly Dixon, Barbados

Mitsubishi L200 1999

Hi, my Mitsubishi L200`s battery light and fuel filter indication lamp keep coming on while driving. What should I do?

Submitted: 28/09/2012 15:36:11 | ID: 70189

Allen Telford, England

Mitsubishi L200 2003

Is it possible to replace the rear lap belt of my Mitsubishi L200 with a three point belt and what would it cost?

Submitted: 24/07/2012 14:11:38 | ID: 87717

Gerald Du Toit, Northern Ireland

Mitsubishi L200 2007

My Mitsubishi L200`s turbo does not seem to be boosting at all and the vehicle is very sluggish. I have tried setting the boost to maximum yet it`s still the same. Could it be the lamda sensor?

Just had the exact same problem with mine, which was very evident when I used the vehicle for towing recently. The actuator on the turbo was not working and had ceased. Garage stripped it down and cleaned it out and now it seems to be ok... Apparently it’s a common problem for the L200 Karen Robertson from Scotland

Submitted: 19/07/2012 16:43:33 | ID: 87736

Ange Gamble, England

Mitsubishi L200 2008

My Mitsubishi L200 runs while you pump the filter pump by hand and stops when you stop pumping. What could the problem be?

Well, check your diesel pump Aziz Patel from Sri Lanka

Submitted: 02/07/2012 10:55:41 | ID: 69436

Tim Nash, Worcestershire

Mitsubishi L200 2003

My Mitsubishi L200 has overheated twice. It runs okay in traffic and when driving under 70 mph. When driving over 80 mph it goes straight into the red, the radiator is half empty and the expansion tank is full. Any ideas? (Forlife)

I had a similar problem and it was a cracked head pressurising the cooling system and the only escape was through the overflow on the expansion tank, hence full tank empty radiator. The head needs removing and pressure testing. Try Bromsgrove Engine Services, they are the boys, they do all the heads for fields Mitsubishi in Bromsgrove good luck. Ps, they`re cheaper too Sean Bourke from Warwickshire

Submitted: 19/06/2012 11:21:51 | ID: 87898

John Mahon, Lancashire

Mitsubishi L200 2006

Water leaks in behind the driver`s seat of my Mitsubishi L200 when it rains. I have fitted new door seals but it still happens and the floor is soaking after a night`s rainfall. Any suggestions?

You may find it’s the seal on the back window. I had same problem Warren Clamp from England

Submitted: 13/04/2012 10:52:09 | ID: 80335

Jimmy Waller, England

Mitsubishi L200 2004

Hi. I own a 2004 Mitsubishi L200 pick up and the turbo is leaking oil. What is causing this?

Submitted: 27/03/2012 14:55:58 | ID: 71006

Claire Kelly, Scotland

Mitsubishi L200 2008

Can anyone tell me if a balance shaft belt on my L200 can be over-tightened and cause the balance shaft to snap? I’ve just had the belts changed and suddenly the shaft has snapped. Garage is not accepting any responsibility.

Funny, I had the same problem with mine. After a lengthy process, of the company blaming a faulty bolt it turned out they had forgotten to tighten the bolt! Your garage is to blame mate. Steve Shott from England

Submitted: 05/03/2012 13:15:15 | ID: 72794

Tony Paddock, England

Mitsubishi L200 2003

Does anyone have any experience of water leaking in on the rear passenger side? It doesn’t appear to be from the window seal - we think it is coming up from underneath but cannot see any holes. Any ideas?

It is probably coming in through the seal on the back window, just where it bends round. I filled the ’bends’ in, painted the filler black to disguise it and also, clean out the rails on the roof. I did these things and now mine is perfect Winter Lurkel from Norway

Submitted: 06/01/2012 08:33:40 | ID: 84749

Roger Wilkins, England

Mitsubishi L200 2000

The reversing light only comes on when I pull back hard on the gearstick on my Mitsubishi L200. What does this signify?

Submitted: 31/12/2011 13:17:10 | ID: 79580

Leslie Brooks, England

Mitsubishi L200 2005

After filling up with diesel the starter motor on my Mitsubishi L200 turned but would not start, no pickup at all. I have never had that happen before... what could it be?

Submitted: 02/11/2011 08:31:11 | ID: 84490

Ian Page, Kent

Mitsubishi L200 2005

Does anyone know where the reverse switch is located on a L200?

Submitted: 11/10/2011 15:15:00 | ID: 74709

John Wheaton, Essex

Mitsubishi L200 2003

Problem from the start with all glass misting up and condensation in the winter when damp outside which the heater/fan do little to clear necessitating constant wiping with clothes. Heater and fan don’t seem up to the job even on full power. Has anyone else found this?

Hi, I just bought a 2004 Shogun sport, it did the same thing. Try sliding the vent lever (under the heater controls) to the right, this lets in air from the outside. It worked for me Nigel Baker from Bedfordshire

Submitted: 12/01/2011 09:07:47 | ID: 79173

John Peterson, England

Mitsubishi L200 2003

My rear window takes a long time to de-mist. I have measured the resistance of the heating element and have found as follows: Element resistance = 2 Ohms Voltage across Element 13 Volts Current through Element = 5 Amps Can anyone please shed any light on why it is so slow? (4-Life)

Submitted: 13/10/2010 13:54:27 | ID: 69229